Weird weather

fade

Staff member
Wait what? It's supposed to be 31 H/25 L (-0.5C H/-4C L) for a good part of next week in Houston. Yes yes I get that this is nothing in the ice tundra you're from, but this is Houston!

Wait what? It's supposed to be 31 H/25 L (-0.5C H/-4C L) for a good part of next week in Houston. Yes yes I get that this is nothing in the ice tundra you're from, but this is Houston!
And you know that if a little rain happens at the "right" time, the whole place will shut down like the Canadians wouldn't believe.

To the Tundraites, we're not equipped to handle any type of ice down here, but we are freaking prepared like you don't know for months of 100F in a row.

And you know that if a little rain happens at the "right" time, the whole place will shut down like the Canadians wouldn't believe.

To the Tundraites, we're not equipped to handle any type of ice down here, but we are freaking prepared like you don't know for months of 100F in a row.
Aye, I get that.

I don't mock y'all for how you deal with shitty weather.

Aye, I get that.

I don't mock y'all for how you deal with shitty weather.
Just as I've never mocked you guys when you have a heat wave. Just trying to put into words how much difference a thousand or so miles can make on our little planet.

We have an uncle that is in the process of moving back to the States after living in Panama for 40+ years. Last weekend was rather damp and cool, normal for us at this time of year (~ 40F and an inch of slow rain), and he commented that it was great to have a change from the Christmas's that he's had for years. He'd been with Christmas being either hot and dry, or hot and wet. He did admit that the cooler temps were kicking his butt from what he'd been accustomed to.

Skiing right now is hilarious to me, because it's been in the 40s, which is grossly hot for skiing, and there are actually people completely bundling up and I don't know how they aren't sweating to death. I'm dying in helmet, light winter coat, and snow pants, I don't understand the people in full face masks and using hand/Feet warmers.

Skiing right now is hilarious to me, because it's been in the 40s, which is grossly hot for skiing, and there are actually people completely bundling up and I don't know how they aren't sweating to death. I'm dying in helmet, light winter coat, and snow pants, I don't understand the people in full face masks and using hand/Feet warmers.
If they're anything like me, it's because they have really crummy circulation and even exercising in cold temps doesn't keep them warm. It really sucks.

Anything above the 30's and I have to take off my coat liner, helmet liner, glove liners... if I could 'board in just my Under Armour, I would. (I think I did once.) And I say this as someone with crummy circulation and gets cold at the slightest breeze.

Reactions: Dei
Being from Alabama and now living in the Land of Ice & Snow, I've been through all sorts of weird weather and natural disasters. The only things I haven't experienced are an earthquake and a tidal wave, which is fine by me.

Anything above the 30's and I have to take off my coat liner, helmet liner, glove liners... if I could 'board in just my Under Armour, I would. (I think I did once.) And I say this as someone with crummy circulation and gets cold at the slightest breeze.
The only reason I don't ski without a coat is that I know how sad I will be when I inevitably wipe out.

Dave

Staff member
It was -1 today and we finished moving our stuff out of the old house. It was fucking cold. Could we have done it two weeks ago when it was still in the 50's and nice? Of COURSE we could have! Why didn't we? Because my daughter and her boyfriend got lazy and kept putting it off, so we all suffered.

But we're done just in time for the temp to plunge into the -20 range tomorrow.

It’s 56F right now.
24hrs from now, it’s supposed to be 18F.
The drive to work tomorrow is going to be so. Much. Fun.

—Patrick

fade

Staff member
What's really weird though, is that you also just described Houston weather for the next few days.

There is a quarter inch of ice on everything. I don't know about driving into work. The roads should not be "that bad" but I don't want to play bumper cars in a car I can not replace.

I'm not USPS, I have a rule: Snow, rain, wind, lightning, hail, thunder, dark, or sunny - not a problem. Ice? You're on your own.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here in 50F weather, waiting for the sun to come up on what is supposed to be our last sunny day for the foreseeable future.

It was -4 this morning with a supposed high of 40 later. Also known as why I can't get my daughter to take me seriously when I tell her she needs to bundle up.

fade

Staff member
We're not closed, but we're supposed to telecommute. I came in anyway, and I was the only one here for a while. I set off the burglar alarm and forgot the code. Fortunately I remembered the verbal password, so I called the security company.