Washington D.C. to Wal-Mart: We're raising minimum wage... but just for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can ignore people?

There's no one I want to ignore, but.. Interesting.
I only have 1 person on ignore, and that was only after I'd finally decided the couple funny posts he puts out weren't worth the aggravation of abusive comments like "You're like a battered wife, coming back for more".

I only have 1 person on ignore, and that was only after I'd finally decided the couple funny posts he puts out weren't worth the aggravation of abusive comments like "You're like a battered wife, coming back for more".
Oh I'm not saying I can't see the advantage, I just didn't realise we had that feature. I remember Jay asking repeatedly for the function to ignore threads (never seemed to materialise), which I was also in favour of. I never knew we had the ability to ignore specific users. But there's no one here I want to ignore, and even if there were, morbid curiosity would just have me un-ignoring them to see what was written anyway. haha

I can understand that. I remember a while ago the forum trolls fought desperately hard to get rid of the ignore function, generally saying anyone who used it was a baby blah blah and all that. To me, it only provided an example of why the function exists.

And yeah, every once in a while I get a little curious. Every time I had hit 'show ignore posts' I was reminded of why I had done it in the first place.

morbid curiosity would just have me un-ignoring them to see what was written anyway. haha
That's what I thought at first too, but I finally got to one point with one person where I couldn't keep myself from responding to their (what I felt was) trolling. I thought it might be temporary, just until I recalibrate my expectations, but I found that on the occasions where I show their posts I don't feel I've missed anything useful, and I still get very, very annoyed by some of their comments, so I've left it in.

The only problem is that they've started a few threads that I do find interesting, so I have to go to a little extra effort to participate in them, but that's a small price to pay for keeping an even keel.

In short: I'm ignoring someone due to my own weakness and inability to let some things go.

GasBandit

Staff member
I can understand that. I remember a while ago the forum trolls fought desperately hard to get rid of the ignore function, generally saying anyone who used it was a baby blah blah and all that. To me, it only provided an example of why the function exists.

And yeah, every once in a while I get a little curious. Every time I had hit 'show ignore posts' I was reminded of why I had done it in the first place.
Like I said. Always comes back for more.

You both know it's true. Without motivation for personal gain (or rather, linking gain to performance), every system depending on human contribution falls apart and fails.

And I still find it hilarious you put me on ignore but still post in my political thread. (I know this isn't that thread, you just do and this is where it came up)

You are way out of your depth, GB. Psychology is not a topic that you can speak with authority on. You are basically espousing a crude understanding of learning and motivation from the 50s and 60s.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not concerned with why people think what they think, I'm concerned with the pragmatic results of what causes economic systems to flourish or fail - and it's been repeatedly shown that if people's share of the economic spoils is not affected by their contribution (or lack of it), the whole durn opera falls apart.

That's what I thought at first too, but I finally got to one point with one person where I couldn't keep myself from responding to their (what I felt was) trolling. I thought it might be temporary, just until I recalibrate my expectations, but I found that on the occasions where I show their posts I don't feel I've missed anything useful, and I still get very, very annoyed by some of their comments, so I've left it in.

The only problem is that they've started a few threads that I do find interesting, so I have to go to a little extra effort to participate in them, but that's a small price to pay for keeping an even keel.

In short: I'm ignoring someone due to my own weakness and inability to let some things go.
Is it wrong that I'm super curious who this is of everyone's admitted blockings?

GasBandit

Staff member
I think they're all blocking Gasbandit. Don't block anyone myself, but then I don't think I take forum arguments as seriously as some.
Pretty sure Stienman isn't blocking me. Or, if he is, he's click-showing my posts often enough to rate them fairly frequently, and not the red X.

I think they're all blocking Gasbandit. Don't block anyone myself, but then I don't think I take forum arguments as seriously as some.
I promise, it wasn't me just being flippant. I argue with a lot of people. ;) Hell, Stienman and I disagree ALL THE TIME and we're still cool.

Is it wrong that I'm super curious who this is of everyone's admitted blockings?
I'm blocking Charlie.

It's not wrong to be curious, but the last time we had a big thread about blocking there were a number of people that felt it would be interesting if we could see the blocks, or at least know how many people were blocking a particular person.

It was generally thought of as too negative (even for this forum!) and so it's all hidden from the users, and as a result most people don't talk about it.

I don't block anyone, because sticks and stones, blah blah blah. If I ignored everyone I didn't agree with, I'd never be exposed to new ideas or perceptions (even if they're wrong wrong wrong).

Also, I'd miss all the drama. And where's the fun in that?

I don't block anyone, because sticks and stones, blah blah blah. If I ignored everyone I didn't agree with, I'd never be exposed to new ideas or perceptions (even if they're wrong wrong wrong).

Also, I'd miss all the drama. And where's the fun in that?
I believe I've already explained this isn't the case, but if it helps you to think that my reason is because I disagree with Gas, there's not a whole lot I can do to change your mind.

I believe I've already explained this isn't the case, but if it helps you to think that my reason is because I disagree with Gas, there's not a whole lot I can do to change your mind.

Everything isn't about you*

*That's the forum drama way of saying I wasn't replying to you

Everything isn't about you*

*That's the forum drama way of saying I wasn't replying to you
Sorry, it's kind of hard to not take a comment like that and not think it's a little dig at me (or anyone else who put someone on ignore, tbh). But if you say it wasn't your intention, I take your word at it.

Yeah, didn't mean to rekindle the ignore function debate, I was honestly just curious who Stein had ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.