Video Game News and Miscellany

Loved the combat, the naval warfare, the hunting but Conner was by far the worst of the 5 main protagonists.

Yeah, Conner was kinda boring. I actually thought the Homestead stuff was the best stuff in the game, thanks mainly to the fact that it sort of played off Conner's boring personality.

I'm still entirely pissed off that some asshole who drives a hideous coloured Lamborghini is fucking scolding gamers about disliking DLC and microtransactions. Fuck Cliff Blezynski that spoiled piece of shit. And fuck games journalists for doing the same thing. Out of touch fuckmouths who get their shit for free delivered to them ahead of time telling us that we shouldn't be unhappy buying a game multiple times.

Jesus Christ those articles about "Cliffy B" angered me. He's a "keen outside observer of the games industry"? How is he an outside observer?
"Some people would rest on their laurels, but not him because he's thinking about opening a studio and is commenting on other people's work? he's not getting back into the game right now? That's the definition of resting on your laurels.
Going against the grain? How's that? All developers are saying "this is the wave of the future", "get on board with games-as-services" and so on. he's going against what regular people are saying, and aping what everyone else in the industry is saying. That's not going against the grain, that's...the exact opposite of that.
" it's a pointless fight. Many there are just so convinced they're right.."
? Yes, it's called an internet forum, or a blog. You yourself seem pretty convinced as well, jerkwad.
"Forward-thinking and leading in the industry"? What the...."
He claims that now would be "the absolute worst time" for such an endeavor, and will wait to see which way the wind is blowing before investing a lot of time, money, and effort in developing a business model that might be obsolete by time it gets off the ground."
That's, again, the exact opposite of what's been said about him. You'ren ot forward-thinking and leading if you're going to wait it out and see what it's like for a while.

Man, I don't know the guy, but he's coming off as a huge, arrogant, self-righteous prick who bought some time/articles to feel good and important about himself.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, they call him an outside observer because he retired. As for the rest of it, yeah, kinda so. But, one has to remember that the man does have some gaming gravitas - he'd been with epic as far back as Jazz Jackrabbit, and was one of the two daddies of the Unreal series. Granted, UT seemed to lose its way with UT3 in 2007. And one has to grudgingly admit Gears of War was a console success.

Seems to me he's catching whatever laid Molyneaux low.

Well, they call him an outside observer because he retired. As for the rest of it, yeah, kinda so. But, one has to remember that the man does have some gaming gravitas - he'd been with epic as far back as Jazz Jackrabbit, and was one of the two daddies of the Unreal series. Granted, UT seemed to lose its way with UT3 in 2007. And one has to grudgingly admit Gears of War was a console success.

It's the Romaro disease. It sometimes afflicts game developers.

I never said he was a bad game designer/producer/devoloper/Tastemaker :p

Man, I am so conflicted about AC4. There was a lot to like about AC3 but it never lived up to the awesomeness of the trailer. Conner never felt badass, he never felt interesting and I never cared for him. All the elements where there for those things to happen but they never did. And that infuriated me.

Plus it was easy as all get out. I want to go back to AC1 where you had to really figure out how to take a target down rather than fight off 100 guys no problem.

I actually dislike Eurogamer far more than Cliffy B's quotes in that article. Their level of writing is just so amateur and uninformed.

"Gamer anger at microtransactions rising"

Virtual goods/microtransactions spending has actually been growing.

What people are actually pissed about is shitty or forced microtransactions. People will pay all damn day for micro-content they like and don't feel like they're being cheated on.

Cliffy B is being Cliffy B. He's kind of an ass, but he's right about internet forums/boards in general, they're really not representative at all. And EA is not some spectacular bad guy for wanting to use microtransactions.

They're the bad guy for making poor decisions about how they actually go about doing things. Valve could have the exact same development philosophy, but they would avoid all the bad decisions on execution.

Nintendo's got a new Zelda in the works for Wii U (not Wind Waker remake). Apparently they want to get away from some of the newer elements of Zelda games, like having to do the dungeons in a specific order.

Oh Nintendo, you're gonna hurt me again, aren't you? And I'm gonna take it like a bitch.

Nintendo's got a new Zelda in the works for Wii U (not Wind Waker remake). Apparently they want to get away from some of the newer elements of Zelda games, like having to do the dungeons in a specific order.

Oh Nintendo, you're gonna hurt me again, aren't you? And I'm gonna take it like a bitch.
This scares me, because it sounds like a really major departure. Zelda in the modern sense (I guess since LttP) has worked a bit like SotN and beyond Castlevanias and Metroid in general, where an item from a dungeon is needed to open/reach a new area. Removing the order for dungeons could be a really interesting push for a more open-world Zelda, but at the same time could destroy what's sort of become part of the core experience of the game.

This scares me, because it sounds like a really major departure. Zelda in the modern sense (I guess since LttP) has worked a bit like SotN and beyond Castlevanias and Metroid in general, where an item from a dungeon is needed to open/reach a new area. Removing the order for dungeons could be a really interesting push for a more open-world Zelda, but at the same time could destroy what's sort of become part of the core experience of the game.
I think they mean you can actually explore again. For instance, in Ocarina of Time there weren't boulders everywhere blocking all directions except the story's expected one (Twilight Princess had those). I could explore in OoT.
But using what you're referencing--in Ocarina, I could do half the Forest temple, and then do the Water temple if I wanted to. I didn't have to do the Fire temple right away if I didn't want to. In fact, I've done this, screwing with the order. Twilight Princess, you have no choice. You must complete each in order, because the story dictates the next dungeon and not the item you receive. In fact, some items were practically useless after leaving the dungeon where you obtained them.

So I'm open to a less linear Zelda game. Just not sure if it's going to live up to such promise.

Slitherine and Games Workshop are working on a deal to make a Warhammer 40K super hardcore turn based strategy game.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=41380

Slitherine is a turbo niche company that only makes hardcore turn based strategy games and books for their own WW2 tabletop war game. They're also behind the program Deadliest Warrior used in the first two seasons to determine the winner of their battles.

I don't know whether or not to be excited. I've never played a Slitherine game.