Video Game News and Miscellany

Because it won't make the kind of money that something with an Assassin's Creed angle will. When THAT succeeds, we'll see a revamp of the Naval Battle style genre come back.
Sadly, that's kind of been Ubisoft's shtick. "We have an idea, don't know what to do with it--stick it in Assassin's Creed. That's going to sell anyway." It clutters the game. But since I no longer really care about the AC games, I'm not gonna bitch. Eventually I'll finish AC3 and if AC4 has all the naval combat its premise implies, I'll be getting it.

I think they need to branch out and start doing stuff set in places that haven't really been covered all that well in history, like Central/South America, Africa, and India. I'd be thrilled to see an Assassin's Creed game set during or before the British colonization of India, with all the unique weapons and architecture you'd see.

After Assassin's Creed: Embers was released, I thought the next game would be set in China, with Shao Jun as the protagonist. Imagine free-running over the rooftops of imperial Beijing. It'd be like playing a wuxia movie.

Could still happen sometime in the future, I guess.

After Assassin's Creed: Embers was released, I thought the next game would be set in China, with Shao Jun as the protagonist. Imagine free-running over the rooftops of imperial Beijing. It'd be like playing a wuxia movie.

Could still happen sometime in the future, I guess.
Some of my favorite fan-art:
assassinscreedchinaart1192912223.jpeg

I know everyone wants a China or Japan game, but that is so predictable it would almost feel like a cop out. Part of the charm of the series is that they are doing historic stuff in places that don't get a lot of exposure in video games.

I know everyone wants a China or Japan game, but that is so predictable it would almost feel like a cop out. Part of the charm of the series is that they are doing historic stuff in places that don't get a lot of exposure in video games.
Didn't you just say they needed to branch out from places that are covered in video games? I'm confused?

Didn't you just say they needed to branch out from places that are covered in video games? I'm confused?
Yes, but historic China and Japan have been covered pretty well by other series (though I'd call it a loose retelling at best). Wouldn't an Assassin's Creed set in Japan basically be a Tenchu game mixed with Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan? And wouldn't one set in China essentially be every Wuxia inspired game ever?

That isn't to say that these locations couldn't work, but let's be a bit more creative with them.

How about instead of ancient China, we set it in 1899 and have it take place during the Boxer Rebellion? You'd have a nice juxtaposition between classic architecture and modern buildings, as well a time when you could conceivably see melee and reliable firearms working together on the battlefield. It's also a time period that hasn't been touched on much in games.

Instead of classic Japan, let's do it in post-WWII Japan. That's something that hasn't really been touched on ether, for obvious reasons. You'd have a nice three way conflict between the US occupation forces, the neutered Japanese government, and the Yakuza who are taking advantage of everything going on. Maybe the Imperial Regalia of Japan (the Kusanagi sword, the mirror Yata no Kagami, and jewel Yasakani no Magatama) are really Forebearer relics and people want to steal them?

All I'm asking for is more unique locales. If I wanted to play a game set in ancient China or Japan, I have tons of options... but what if I want to relive the February and October Revolutions in Russia? Colonial India? Something further back than the modern day in Africa? There are tons of historic times and places to choose from and I'd just rather not see the series revisit places that have been looked at time and time again.

How about instead of ancient China, we set it in 1899 and have it take place during the Boxer Rebellion? You'd have a nice juxtaposition between classic architecture and modern buildings, as well a time when you could conceivably see melee and reliable firearms working together on the battlefield. It's also a time period that hasn't been touched on much in games.

Instead of classic Japan, let's do it in post-WWII Japan. That's something that hasn't really been touched on ether, for obvious reasons. You'd have a nice three way conflict between the US occupation forces, the neutered Japanese government, and the Yakuza who are taking advantage of everything going on. Maybe the Imperial Regalia of Japan (the Kusanagi sword, the mirror Yata no Kagami, and jewel Yasakani no Magatama) are really Forebearer relics and people want to steal them?
I think both of these settings are good choices. I'm mainly interested in the architecture. Running around the roof of the Forbidden Palace before dropping down and hidden-blading someone in the neck? Yes please!

I think a Russian AC would be interesting. Fighting both the elements of a harsh environment and the Templars, plus whatever political turmoil is going on at the time.

I'm glad AC4 will set a precedent for going backward in the timeline. That means they can do it again.

I want to play as that assassin who killed Genghis Khan according to the villa statue in AC2.

Thanks Assassin's Creed 4 article for spoiling AC3 when discussing a fucking prequel. Now I'm even less motivated to keep going. BTW ya fucks, you keep screwing up AC3 and AC4 when you try mentioning one or the other.[DOUBLEPOST=1362190775][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not entirely sure how I feel about this. Cliffy B on microtransactions, EA and Valve.
He's right about voting with one's wallet.

He's not right about Valve being "the same" because it's one thing to add extra content, it's another to cut part of a game, then sell it separately and call it extra.

He's also wrong about Gamestop unless all the consoles go anti-used, which would only help piracy. Thing is, much as he says the dudebros don't care about any of this, I know they care about trading in the old Madden/Call of Duty/etc for the new one. Their system works for them. If Microsoft is serious about going anti-used, I have a feeling more people will be playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4: Black Ops 3 (or whatever) on a PS4.

JESUS CHRIST. And they call gamers "entitled".

His reasons why games need to charge so much for so little is the most overly entitled thing I've ever read.

Lots of these game studios are located in San Francisco, it's expensive there guys! Good games cost 10s of millions, hundreds of millions with marketing!

No, it's the consumers not wanting to be nickle and dimed to death that are the problem. It's the consumers that make the scumbag EA memes that are the problem. San Francisco is expensive? Don't fucking open a studio in San-fucking-Francisco. CUT YOUR BUDGETS DOWN. Stop trying to make Call of Duty budgeted games cause guess what, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO SELL CALL OF DUTY NUMBERS. IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. How many games have been made that were financial flops despite selling 3-4 million copies, a number that would have been the most astounding of successes in the PS1 or SNES eras? I'm guessing more than have been financially successful.

The games industry just straight up needs to die.

Yeah, Valve is pretty guiltless when it comes to paid add-ons. You never NEED that hat or weapon and if you REALLY want it but don't want to pay, you can always wait a few weeks for it start dropping and get it that way.

As opposed to have a character with important story elements be locked off when it's clear s/he was intended to be available always, only now it's 10 bucks.

That shit was eye rollingly silly. OUR GUY IS SO BADASS BLACKBEARD THINKS HE'S BADASS.

Holy fucking shit, you pre-order and you get a Todd MacFarlane poster!

That's the single greatest piece of pre-order garbage ever offered.

So.. was Blackbeard basically telling his crew to mutiny because this new guy is totally cooler?

That doesn't seem very Blackbeardy.

It's horrible, HORRIBLE but all would be forgiven if the protagonist doesn't have the personality of a wooden plank like Conner did.[DOUBLEPOST=1362279966][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I read there's a new dating mechanic in the game.

Did... did that guy just shank another guy and steal his girl?

That's, like, such an Ezio thing to do, man! Why didn't they give that to Ezio?