Video Game News and Miscellany

You think they are playing safe NOW? Just wait till Miyamoto retires/dies. Nintendo's gonna play it so safe, everything is going to be made out of soft, bouncy plastic.
Personally I think Miyamoto is the one still holding them back. I'm curious to see where Nintendo goes once he's taken his hands off of his main IPs.

So, is that actually going to come out in North America, or are people going to have to start petitions and shit again?

And then I saw pics of the characters...

That is not cel shading. :mad:
I was one of the first people to complain about the cel shading. Then I played the game and experienced it's world/gameplay. It's less about the graphics (though I'm really glad for the HD remake) and more about playing a really fantastic game as an updated release.

So, is that actually going to come out in North America, or are people going to have to start petitions and shit again?
I'm hoping they've learned their lesson after Xenoblade and Last Story, but who knows. Maybe they'll just throw a shitload of New SMB rehashes at us and hope for the best.

I was hoping for Wind Waker on 3DS but oh well. Not buying a Wii U for it.

Relic going to Sega? I hope that means the game rights to Warhammer 40k pass to them.

Even if they don't, I believe Sega has the rights for Warhammer Fantasy right now. That could be a match made in heaven.
I really want more good 40k though. Fantasy had Warhammer Online, which was good--just not enough people onboard and poor management. I'd like a 40k game that was more than a gauntlet, where I don't feel it's a lazy system dressed in 40k clothing. Something that's more than a rental.

I really want more good 40k though. Fantasy had Warhammer Online, which was good--just not enough people onboard and poor management. I'd like a 40k game that was more than a gauntlet, where I don't feel it's a lazy system dressed in 40k clothing. Something that's more than a rental.
If you thought Warhammer Online was good, you clearly didn't play enough of it. Unbalanced classes, little to do in the end game, a terrible economy and a frustrating crafting system that needed to be exploited to get anything out of it... about the only thing it DID get right were the visuals.

If you thought Warhammer Online was good, you clearly didn't play enough of it. Unbalanced classes, little to do in the end game, a terrible economy and a frustrating crafting system that needed to be exploited to get anything out of it... about the only thing it DID get right were the visuals.
I confess, I did not get to play as much as I wanted. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to do MMOs; at this stage in my life, I can't really conform my video game time to anyone else's schedule except my wife's.

I confess, I did not get to play as much as I wanted. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to do MMOs; at this stage in my life, I can't really conform my video game time to anyone else's schedule except my wife's.
I know the feeling. Just started college. Two weeks in and I've cut my gaming time down to half and have people whining I'm not around to help them.

I was hoping for Wind Waker on 3DS but oh well. Not buying a Wii U for it.

Relic going to Sega? I hope that means the game rights to Warhammer 40k pass to them.
I read somewhere that the 40K game rights were only on a game by game basis. Relic apparently has a great working relationship with GW and I doubt that Sega picking up Relic and the WHF license going to Sega not too much earlier beforehand are coincidence.

GasBandit

Staff member
Warhammer Online was a huge ball of fun, so long as you never PVE'd and rerolled every time you dinged out of tier 3. Tier 2 was the best tier. Defending Mandred's Hold was some of the most fun I had since DAOC.

Some really grainy T2 ORVR footage I took

Some less grainy footage I took of a siege defense.

But yeah, in T4, it became a stupid 300-player game of calvinball.

Don't forget Public Quests which both Rift and Guild Wars 2 use iterations in their PvE.

I also liked that you started out lorewise in the heat of things. Not in some townie bootcamp killing pub rats. There were still the starter rat killing style quests but storywise you start out in the conflict as opposed to dicking around a grannies field in rags. Oddly enough I have not played much of WoW: MoP because the farming quest centric zone killed the mood hard for me.

So, Ziff Davis, the media company that used to own EGM, CGW (the greatest videogame magazine that ever existed) and 1-Up in the heyday of amazing podcasts, video content and such that made 1-Up an incredible place to go as a video game enthusiast before they sold 1-Up to...the company that owned UGO...Uhh, oh Hearst, and disbanded and laid off most of the staff of EGM and their other magazines has apparently purchased IGN....which owns 1-Up now.

It's kinda shitty that they just didn't hold onto what they had. Nothing has come close to what EGM, CGW and 1-Up had going for it talent-wise at the time. The only guy left over from that era is the ever excellent Jeremy Parish.

So, Ziff Davis, the media company that used to own EGM, CGW (the greatest videogame magazine that ever existed) and 1-Up in the heyday of amazing podcasts, video content and such that made 1-Up an incredible place to go as a video game enthusiast before they sold 1-Up to...the company that owned UGO...Uhh, oh Hearst, and disbanded and laid off most of the staff of EGM and their other magazines has apparently purchased IGN....which owns 1-Up now.

It's kinda shitty that they just didn't hold onto what they had. Nothing has come close to what EGM, CGW and 1-Up had going for it talent-wise at the time. The only guy left over from that era is the ever excellent Jeremy Parish.
Okay maybe I'm just an idiot but that first paragraph was really hard to follow. Are you saying the guys who used to run EGM/CGW bought IGN? Or IGN owns 1-Up.com?

He's saying the guys who used to own 1-Up but sold it to another company once again own 1-Up and basically bought IGN to get it back.

Does anyone still read IGN? Or Gamespot for that matter? Isn't all Kotaku, Giant Bomb, and 1-Up now?

He's saying the guys who used to own 1-Up but sold it to another company once again own 1-Up and basically bought IGN to get it back.

Does anyone still read IGN? Or Gamespot for that matter? Isn't all Kotaku, Giant Bomb, and 1-Up now?
Ah.

I don't really check anything outside of watching gameplay videos. Feels like reviewers are all up for sale and I just don't trust them enough for an honest review.

Giant Bomb was created by the guy who was fired from Gamespot over his Kane and Lynch review. You know... the one were he shat on the game while Gamespot was running a huge Kane and Lynch promotion? I'm pretty sure he's already proven his credibility.

Nothing matches how good the old Ziff Davis days were for EGM/CGW and 1-Up.

Giant Bomb was created by the guy who was fired from Gamespot over his Kane and Lynch review. You know... the one were he shat on the game while Gamespot was running a huge Kane and Lynch promotion? I'm pretty sure he's already proven his credibility.
Then they sold Giant Bomb to Gamespot.

Designing your game around the real money auction house probably wasn't the best way to start.
Frankly, my biggest beef is with the fact that the only stat that really matters is dps*, and if you don't accidentally happen to snag a weapon with a good dps, you just can't play the higher levels. You just can't find gear with stats high enough to make up for a too-low dps.

On a smaller note, I'm not happy with the way armor/resistances work, but that I'm willing to overlook that because at least that actually has a reason behind it.

--Patrick

Apparently there's more evidence out today to support the theory that the Xbox 720 will not support used games, as it will require a single-use game activation code with each title sold, and will also require (wait for it) continuous internet connection in order to use the console. GameStop stock was hammered on the news. I hope the Xbox division doesn't plan on selling any of these units in middle America, or heck, even any rural part of America.

Man, someone is setting up the perfect storm for the ouya. If you're going to have single use purchases, and always require internet, better not be charging $60 per game and $500 per console.
Sadly, so far that's uh... kinda the plan, so far as we who are not a part of that division know. $60 a pop for games, $500 or more for the console, require always on connectivity, eliminate the ability for people to trade games to friends or to GameStop, require that everyone use a Microsoft Account that's tied into the same account as their email address and everything else they do with/around Microsoft, and then sit around and wonder why no one wants your super awesome gaming experience.

But maybe I'm just bitter because I'm sick of this job.