Video Game News and Miscellany

It's back up. People were a little quick to jump on this as YouTube being some kind of monster.
They are more than a little gun shy now that Sega has been taking down ANY video that mentions Shining Force 2. Like, not even just the lets plays and reviews. ANY video that so much as mentions it.

By the way, has anyone heard anything about the battery life for Project Shield? Gaming-quality components tend to be power hungry.

I always take about an 1-1.5 hours off the quoted battery life of first gen electronics and it hasn't really steered me wrong yet.

With my glasses off, I can't tell the difference between SD and HD - and I'm far from blind without them (I drove my car without glasses for years). With my glasses on, I can tell...But on my 32" HD Read TV, it's still only marginal. I'll admit it's a bigger difference at real 1080p, and on larger screens - but I think modern TV screens are too big anyway, because a lot of content simply doesn't exist in HD format, and things like Friends and whatever look like absolute ass when seen on a 45" TV from 2 meters away. Seriously, I don't want a cinema in my home.

That said, I don't mind...Drives the price of DVDs down because of BR :p

My biggest problem with consoles today is their inability to display games at a non-HD definition. This has made many of my games frustratingly difficult to play because I am utterly unable to make heads or tails of the tiny, illegible text that they use. It's like developers suddenly decided 5+ years ago that everyone must have an HDtv by now.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have to say, my nexus 7 promised 8 hours of HD video streaming... and since it came with Transformers 3 on google play, I put it to the test by putting it on repeat and leaving it on overnight. Sure enough, the battery started squawking just under 8 hours later. It's pretty impressive what battery tech is doing these days.

figmentPez

Staff member
In case anyone hasn't been following the news on this, it's not the Steam console prototype. It's Valve endorsed hardware, but it's not the Steam Box that Valve will be selling.

Gabe Newell Shares Details About Valve’s Steam Box
"• Valve's own Steam Box (Gabe actually refers to it as this) will be sold by Valve and will run Linux, though you can install Windows on it if you want. "This is not some locked box by any stretch of the imagination", he says."

My biggest problem with consoles today is their inability to display games at a non-HD definition. This has made many of my games frustratingly difficult to play because I am utterly unable to make heads or tails of the tiny, illegible text that they use. It's like developers suddenly decided 5+ years ago that everyone must have an HDtv by now.
Which make sense since HD TVs cost less than going to the movies nowdays....

Which make sense since HDTVs cost less than going to the movies nowdays....
They didn't when the 360 came out. The only reason they are cheap now is because they are trying to push 3D TV but no one is buying them.

My main problem is that I still play a lot of my classic games on original systems. However, running an old school console on an HDTV turns games that WOULD have looked good at the time into something ugly. This is because developers didn't fathom at time when a TV would be running in 1080p and didn't design for it in mind. You tried running an NES on a HDTV? It does not look the same as it does on a SD, and that's not even getting into the fact you can't use a light gun on an HDTV.

They didn't when the 360 came out. The only reason they are cheap now is because they are trying to push 3D TV but no one is buying them.

My main problem is that I still play a lot of my classic games on original systems. However, running an old school console on an HDTV turns games that WOULD have looked good at the time into something ugly. This is because developers didn't fathom at time when a TV would be running in 1080p and didn't design for it in mind. You tried running an NES on a HDTV? It does not look the same as it does on a SD, and that's not even getting into the fact you can't use a light gun on an HDTV.
I am less annoyed by the pushing of gaming at HD resolutions, and more annoyed by the inability of developers to properly optimize their games so they run at a consistent framerate at HD-ish resolutions. I don't care if a game actually runs in 720p vs 1080p if it stays steady at 50-60fps. But if it runs in 1080p but bounces up and down between 15-50, y'all really needed to either bring it down to 720p or fix some shit or both.

No because I use my PSP for all my emulation needs.

I don't have unrealistic expectations like you to run 80ies tech onto TVs built in in the new millennium.

I solved that problem easy enough. Held on to a little 19" tv and I use that for PS2 and under (once I dig the rest of the systems out and find a switch for the AV cables).

I don't have unrealistic expectations like you to run 80ies tech onto TVs built in in the new millennium.
I don't. But it's one of the reasons I haven't gone HD; I play my PS2, SNES, and other consoles FAR more than I play my 360, so I want those games to look right. However, its not unreasonable for developers to support a format that is still in production and still populates a large number of homes.

Honestly though, I do need to get one. Unfortunately it's going to have to wait until I get my PC upgrades, so who knows when that'll happen.

The "scanning room" thing was the coolest part of that video.

Why would I want to illuminate my walls and bookshelves of an extension of what's going on on-screen? I'll be staring at the screen anyway, because it's not like these projections are going to be doing any good from a gameplay perspective.

Microsoft, I am disappoint.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've always wanted more cues in my peripheral vision, but I'm not sure this will work in most rooms. It might add some immersion to the game, to make it feel bigger, but I'm not sure if it will actually help gameplay.

Has anyone heard or seen more about Double Fine Productions' upcoming game, The Cave, than what's available at Steam? The last thing I need right now is more games, but this one looks really fun.

figmentPez

Staff member
All I know are the basics. Puzzle platformer where you choose three characters, and which you choose will determine how you're able to get through the game, and each character unlocks a unique area. I haven't heard anything from people who have played it.

New project of CD Projekt Red: http://www.cyberpunk.net/

From the team who brought you The Witcher and TW2, a scifi (sorry, science fiction :rolleyes:) RPG in an open world, with meaningful choices and a mature story. Could absolutely rock. Could be utter tripe. Given Projekt Red's track record, I'm going to start getting excited over here for a while.Myes.

figmentPez

Staff member
I was thinking back to old games for the "Terrible Video Game Descriptions" thread, and I remembered really loving an online flash-based game called Motherload. It was a pretty simple game where you mined minerals on Mars and had to upgrade your ship to harvest better minerals and survive an increasingly hostile environment. It was pretty good, even if the ending was pretty lame. Anyway, I found this:

Super Motherload on Steam's Greenlight.

Trailer:

Gameplay:

I'm kind of excited for this. I hope it makes it onto Steam, I had a lot of fun playing the original and this seems to have a lot of the best aspects still in tow, while adding multiplayer and some other good features.

I refuse to believe Steam Greenlight actually does what it's supposed to until La-Mulana is approved. It's been there months, has a significant fan following, and an active developer. The only reason I can see for it not succeeding is that Valve doesn't want to push a game that's already being sold on another distribution platform.

figmentPez

Staff member
I just don't understand the video game industry sometimes. The "Zombie Bait" special edition of Dead Island Riptide... I can't even... This is not okay.

Necronic

Staff member
How much worse is it than some Todd McFarlane figures?

Ed: I just looked it up and yeah, that Dead Rising figurine is straight up tame compared to McFarlane stuff

The torso's only in the UK edition, we get a bobblehead. Beyond that, it doesn't bother me, it's just kind of...weird for a special edition bonus. Also, the developer calling it one of the most anticipated releases of the year after the first being a major letdown is probably a stretch.

GasBandit

Staff member
Google Image Search turns up another version as well of the same zombie bait bust that is wearing an american flag bikini instead of union jack...

Google Image Search turns up another version as well of the same zombie bait bust that is wearing an american flag bikini instead of union jack...
Yeah, I found that, but I only see it being available in the UK/Australia. Everything I've read says the US version is a different special edition. Either way, there's a ton of articles, so I guess the statue is doing its job.

I really don't have high hopes for Dead Island: Riptide (though I DID like the first one). It just looks like more of the same, but with a new character (who is actually an old one from the first game). If they fixed the weapon degradation and set it at a reasonable level then it would be fine, but it was simply too broken in the first one.

As for the Zombie Bust? I don't find it offensive so much as really, REALLY weird. Who would keep that out on their table? A serial killer? Anybody you bring to your home is gonna run when they see that thing.