Video Game News and Miscellany

figmentPez

Staff member
I wonder what games have had the most fan remakes? Tetris and Pac-Man probably have the most clones, and possibly the most fan efforts as well. Pokemon is probably also in the top ten. But damn, if Half-Life fans aren't trying:

Oh that's neat, I'm pretty ok with buying thaaaaa 130-40 Canadian?

Fuck off.

At the rates these minis keep getting more and more expensive we're going to be forking over full console price for everything in a couple years.

Last edited:
Pros:
Sony are probably going to do a better job of getting enough stock into shops than Nintendo did.
"20 Pre-Loaded Games" implies that you'll be able to buy & download more games for it.

Cons:
The early 3d era has probably aged worse than any other.
Do people really care about Jumping Flash? That's one of the games you include for your big announcement Sony? Really?

I don't understand why these mini nostalgia consoles are a thing. Why not just offer these games digitally for MUCH less each?

AND let people carry them goddamn over from new console to new console, with the same account?

Seriously, if there's anything that pisses me off more than anything, it's that people are forced the buy the same old games over and over on the latest console. Meanwhile, I can still play games I purchased TEN YEARS AGO on Steam.

figmentPez

Staff member
Not that part.
I meant the part where people just steal the ROMs right out of the "mini" to use with their preferred emulator.
That's like worrying that people who buy CDs will rip them into MP3s, or that people who buy comics will scan them. IT'S STUPID! I'm not going to even bother explaining why.

That's like worrying that people who buy CDs will rip them into MP3s, or that people who buy comics will scan them. IT'S STUPID! I'm not going to even bother explaining why.
And yet, that's exactly what the people who sell comics/CDs try to prevent.
It's dumb, I agree, but they still try.

--Patrick

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice releases 3-22-19. Or as Jim Sterling calls it, practically five years from now. >_<

It'll go fast. I think because of Nintendo's online costing money, I'm going to skip Smash Bros and save money for Sekiro.

Jesus. That's out of nowhere. They seemed to be doing well, like landing that deal for a Stranger Things game.

I've been following them from their early days with Bone and Sam & Max. This is heartbreaking.

GasBandit

Staff member
Apparently, one of their founders (Kevin Bruner) got a big head after Walking Dead took off, and transformed the culture of the tiny indie studio into a giant confused toxic hell beholden to outside shareholders (because they took a massive loan and expanded too rapidly). Bruner, from anonymous accounts in the company, hated anyone else getting credit or recognition for anything the studio did, and it chased off all their good creative talent (the guys responsible for Walking Dead didn't even stay for season 2). By the time the board of directors forced Bruner out, it was pretty much too late, and to add insult to injury, Bruner turned around and sued them afterwards.

It's a familiar sad story - small plucky, scrappy band of coders experiences sudden success, overextends themselves, and everything falls apart. For any independent studio, taking money from others (be it investors or a loan or whatever) always seems to be the beginning of the end.

[Update - 7:45pm]: Both USGamer and Variety report that the skeleton crew being kept on at Telltale are focused solely on completing Minecraft: Story Mode, a five-part interactive narrative series produced for Netflix originally set to come to the streaming platform this fall. The Walking Dead: The Final Season, meanwhile, will remain unfinished.
So yeah... Clementine's adventure is over. No resolution, though I imagine Robert Kirkman will probably just do something in the comics for it...

This Twitter thread gets into the depths of shittiness toward the employees and why I was so pissed at whatshisfacebioshockguy years ago.

On the bright side, other developers such as Epic and Blizzard are jumping into the replies encouraging Telltale employees to come apply for jobs. They're a talented bunch, so I hope all of them will find places at other companies. It's nonsense that the games they are currently putting out are going to make a lot of money and then ... who does that go to? Not the employees; they're already out the door.

Some of the shittiest are there are employees who've been on the job only a week or two who relocated their fucking families for Telltale only to be suddenly jobless with no severance in another fucking city.

Fuck Telltale's management. Bet a dollar THEY all have severance.

Don't work unpaid overtime, don't go above and beyond for corporations because they sure as shit won't EVER for you.

Union.

Here it is.

I’m actually surprised by this.
Not because Activision would try to cash in on a property, but because they picked the Diablo franchise, of all things. Of all the Blizzard properties, I would have at least expected Starcraft before Diablo.

—Patrick
I'm more surprised it's not Overwatch. That franchise is itching for an animated series.

I’m actually surprised by this.
Not because Activision would try to cash in on a property, but because they picked the Diablo franchise, of all things. Of all the Blizzard properties, I would have at least expected Starcraft before Diablo.

—Patrick
The castlevania animated series did well, so why not.

Yes but Blizzard is already actively making shorts and such in that one, and I don’t expect they would want to hand that notoriety over to Netflix.
There've been rumours that D4 is in development now, and with the complete debacle of D3's release I wouldn't be surprised if they picked it to try to build back some positive feelings to push sales in a year or two.

Oh, this comes out in two days.

I've run the first two books of Kingmaker years and years ago (before someone moved and that group fell apart) and it was pretty great. Wondering how closely to the Pathfinder ruleset the game will stick. Apparently Chris Avellone worked on the writing too, so that's a plus.