Video Game News and Miscellany

In addition, sometimes actually new products have faulty discs. I've run into this myself; I had to get a replacement disc for my copy of Myst IV because disc 1 couldn't be read. I'm not sure how a situation like that would be handled with resale of a Never Removed From Box copy sold as "new".
You replace the product anyway, because we don't buy the disc, we buy the right to use the software... even if you scratch the disc, at most you could charge them for transport and the rather insignificant cost of a new disc...

But no, they want to sell it as a license, but treat it as a physical product for the parts they're on the hook for... and that's major BS.

Oh, and here in Eurostan i can just make myself a copy from someone else along as i have proof i purchased a license...

What a long way "We Happy Few" has fallen from the shining heights of it's first trailer and the promise of it's concept.

A lot of this could have been fixed with another 3 months in development; getting rid of these bugs would have gone a long way towards making the entire experience better. But some of the fundamental design issues (hunger/thirst/sleep meters, all the fucking crafting) really should have been removed ages ago.

But I can already understand why this got such a big push from the publisher and got rushed for release; We Happy Few is a KILLER setting and it's franchise potential is phenomenal. Not just sequels; spin-offs, comics, and TV shows/movies are ALL on the table. Gearbox wants to grind up this IP as quickly as it can!

GasBandit

Staff member
But I can already understand why this got such a big push from the publisher and got rushed for release; We Happy Few is a KILLER setting and it's franchise potential is phenomenal. Not just sequels; spin-offs, comics, and TV shows/movies are ALL on the table. Gearbox wants to grind up this IP as quickly as it can!
And now because it's such undercooked garbage, nobody will want to touch all that. GG.

A lot of this could have been fixed with another 3 months in development; getting rid of these bugs would have gone a long way towards making the entire experience better. But some of the fundamental design issues (hunger/thirst/sleep meters, all the fucking crafting) really should have been removed ages ago.
Or at least made that an option to turn on/off, like in Fallout: New Vegas.

More like We Happy Pee-Yew, am I right? UP TOP!

No wait, I have one better.

More like GearBotch, am I right? UP TOP!

Also, it's amazing how this a lot of this feels like No Man's Sky all over again. Jaw-dropping first look, big promise, then a massively disappointing release. Maybe it'll get patched in a few years, too, and be a halfway decent game.

And now because it's such undercooked garbage, nobody will want to touch all that. GG.
If Hollywood wanted to make a movie, I don't think it would worry about the game sales. By virtue of it's aesthetic, setting, and general mood, they could easily pop out a trailer that would sell the public on the movie. A Horror Comedy set in 60's England? Fuck, get Simon Pegg onboard and that's half the movie done.

More like We Happy Pee-Yew, am I right? UP TOP!

No wait, I have one better.

More like GearBotch, am I right? UP TOP!

Also, it's amazing how this a lot of this feels like No Man's Sky all over again. Jaw-dropping first look, big promise, then a massively disappointing release. Maybe it'll get patched in a few years, too, and be a halfway decent game.
No Man's Sky never had an early access though, where everyone that played the early access of We Happy Few (back when it was still $30 before they decided to just double the price for no reason) quickly realized that oh, oh no, this is all bad. Good story idea, but terrible game design, chasing trends that are far outdated by the time the game actually releases. Just wait for the battle royale update, I bet it's coming.

No Man's Sky never had an early access though, where everyone that played the early access of We Happy Few (back when it was still $30 before they decided to just double the price for no reason) quickly realized that oh, oh no, this is all bad. Good story idea, but terrible game design, chasing trends that are far outdated by the time the game actually releases. Just wait for the battle royale update, I bet it's coming.
Really, the reason the price of the game doubled is because Gearbox acquired it and spent a metric fuckton on producing music, advertising, and a special edition that no one asked for.

Twitch Prime is no longer going to let you watch Twitch.TV ad-free, bringing back Twitch Turbo.

Basically, Amazon isn't making enough money and they are taking more shit away. First they took away the 20% off pre-orders of games, now they are cutting the ONLY useful feature of Twitch Prime. Like really, I'd have prefered if they'd stopped giving out indie games instead of the ad-free viewing. Instead, they are bringing back something they intentionally dropped because it would be confusing for consumers. So it's back to ad-blocking for me.

Last edited:
I know I'm gonna get the ol "BUH YER A LIBERTARIAN" chestnut thrown at me but...

Jeff Bezos makes the median yearly Amazon salary every 9 seconds

Edit - and the solution is, naturally, to not use Amazon. But we all know how that's gonna go down.
It's sort of a stand-off; if Amazon doesn't feel that it's getting value out of Twitch Prime and needs to change the service to make it profitable, that is their choice. However, the internet has provided me with the tools to get the exact same level of service I desire for free, against Amazon's design, so there is no reason to give two shits about the profitability of a service I wouldn't use. I'm not affected and they won't be getting my money until they chose to fix the service they offered.

figmentPez

Staff member
Remember the awful PC port of Chrono Trigger? Well it's not as awful as it was:
Chrono Trigger has to advertise fixes.png

How bad is your port when basic features are the bullet points for a 50% off sale? None of those should have been post launch!

figmentPez

Staff member
From Ars Technica: Valve seems to be working on tools to get Windows games running on Linux

TLDR: data mining in Steam files reveals that "Steam Play" may be a feature Valve is working on, building tools into Steam that would make it easier to play more games on Linux / Steam OS.
Offical announcement

"today we are releasing the Beta of a new and improved version of Steam Play to all Linux users! It includes a modified distribution of Wine, called Proton, to provide compatibility with Windows game titles."
"This goes hand-in-hand with an ongoing testing effort of the entire Steam catalog, in order to identify games that currently work great in this compatibility environment, and find and address issues for the ones that don't. The initial set of supported games that we are enabling with this initial Beta release is as follows: "

* See link for list of 27 games *

"We will be enabling more titles in the near future as testing results and development efforts progress; in the meantime, enthusiast users are also able to try playing non-whitelisted games using an override switch in the Steam client. Going forward, users can vote for their favorite games to be considered for Steam Play using platform wishlisting."

More details at the link.

Offical announcement

"today we are releasing the Beta of a new and improved version of Steam Play to all Linux users! It includes a modified distribution of Wine, called Proton, to provide compatibility with Windows game titles."
"This goes hand-in-hand with an ongoing testing effort of the entire Steam catalog, in order to identify games that currently work great in this compatibility environment, and find and address issues for the ones that don't. The initial set of supported games that we are enabling with this initial Beta release is as follows: "

* See link for list of 27 games *

"We will be enabling more titles in the near future as testing results and development efforts progress; in the meantime, enthusiast users are also able to try playing non-whitelisted games using an override switch in the Steam client. Going forward, users can vote for their favorite games to be considered for Steam Play using platform wishlisting."

More details at the link.
If they could get directx working natively in linux (which I'm not sure is even possible or legal) then I would drop windows forever and never look at microsoft again.

Hey if Crossover can (mostly) do it, there's no reason that Valve can't. WINE's biggest hurdle has always been getting enough people per platform willing to do the coding work to get it working, and debug it, and repeat.
directx working natively in linux (which I'm not sure is even possible or legal)
The legality is definitely the bigger of the two challenges, though if they work to code around the legal part, then performance will suffer.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
If they could get directx working natively in linux (which I'm not sure is even possible or legal) then I would drop windows forever and never look at microsoft again.
If most new games come out supporting Vulkan, then DirectX support won't be much of an issue. Sure, there will be a performance hit for DirectX games, but that doesn't matter as much when games get older.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm behind on playing LEGO games because I'm trying to be somewhat financially responsible and getting them only when they're super cheap. I'm waiting on LEGO City Undercover, The Force Awakens, Marvel Superheroes 2, and everything more recent to drop down to like $5 a piece. Eventually they'll get included in a bundle at Fanatical.

My niece and I played through Lego Avengers and started on Lego Marvel Heroes 2. But for some reason, neither of us were as into it. I think the open world hub just wasn't as fun because it was a jumbled mess. Which I get, given the story context, but for traversing around, it was rather confusing.

figmentPez

Staff member
This is an interesting video about dynamic resolution, and it's increasing use in PC titles. Seems like a pretty useful tool for the future.

So, the first question every reply is asking is is Yuzo Koshiro involved? There's no evidence either way but I feel like they would be announcing it from the rooftops if he were. If he isn't, then why fucking bother?