Video Game News and Miscellany

GasBandit

Staff member
So IGN is calling PUBG their game of the year for 2017. But their People's Choice award went to Doki Doki Literature Club.

The comments section is a war zone.

The PUBG crowd is all "lol wut tf is doki" and the DDLC crowd is all "Of course, the players vote for DDLC, but the IGN editors choose the broken, unfinished flavor of the month."

So IGN is calling PUBG their game of the year for 2017. But their People's Choice award went to Doki Doki Literature Club.

The PUBG crowd is all "lol wut tf is doki" and the DDLC crowd is all "Of course, the players vote for DDLC, but the IGN editors choose the broken, unfinished flavor of the month."
It is glorious.

I love this so much.

Though I'm honestly surprised Cuphead wasn't chosen from either side.

The same people who made the Yakuza games made a new Fist of the North Star game, coming out march 2018 in Japan.

The introduction of the typical wacky side quests and minigames starts at 3:10.

It would be great if Kenshiro says something along the line of "You are already fed" or "You are already drunk".

It was put in as an arcade game in Yakuza 0 ( the game is set in 1988)
Not mention that entire sequence in Bayonetta 1 that was literally just a (then) current gen version of Space Harrier (Though she name drops FANTASY ZONE for some reason instead of the game it's parodying). Apparently Space Harrier was super big in Japan.

Not mention that entire sequence in Bayonetta 1 that was literally just a (then) current gen version of Space Harrier (Though she name drops FANTASY ZONE for some reason instead of the game it's parodying). Apparently Space Harrier was super big in Japan.
Fantasy Zone is the name of the world in Space Harrier. At the start of level 1 you are greeted with „Welcome to the Fantasy Zone! Get Ready!“

(This is a really good trivia question)

Fantasy Zone is the name of the world in Space Harrier. At the start of level 1 you are greeted with „Welcome to the Fantasy Zone! Get Ready!“

(This is a really good trivia question)
Ahh... okay. See, there is ANOTHER game called Fantasy Zone so...

figmentPez

Staff member
Zen in Black Mesa is looking pretty good. I hope it plays better than the original.

It's release has been pushed back to December.
Not much of a surprise, but the December release date has been missed. Xen won't be out until next year. It's going to be pretty ambitious "Xen, in its current form, is made up of 14 maps across these final 5 chapters, with each map alone being significantly larger than the originals."

They have, however, provided a public beta that adds all the new lighting and engine changes to the rest of the game, so that the release of Xen can (hopefully) go smoother. Screenshots of the new lighting:

figmentPez

Staff member
Just bought Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition with Steam Wallet funds, gotten by selling trading cards. That brings my total to over $140 worth of games and hardware bought selling virtual collectables on Steam. 16 games, 2 soundtracks, 1 DLC, and a Steam Controller.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
This is not my jam, but I'm sure it will appeal to many on the forum. They Are Billions - Steampunk Zombie semi-realtime 4X game (not turn based, but it allows pausing, so like a tycoon game but with map exploration and combat). It's early access, but it seems like Survival is mostly finished, and it's the Campaign that needs completing/balancing.

Here's Trump (the Hearthstone player) in a short run-through:

This Trump is not into building unnecessary walls.

This is not my jam, but I'm sure it will appeal to many on the forum. They Are Billions - Steampunk Zombie semi-realtime 4X game (not turn based, but it allows pausing, so like a tycoon game but with map exploration and combat). It's early access, but it seems like Survival is mostly finished, and it's the Campaign that needs completing/balancing.

This Trump is not into building unnecessary walls.
I looked into this when it showed up on my recommendation queue on steam, but I'm shying away from early access games these days. I've gotten too many of them that just didn't pan out to my liking :(

I've been watching it with interest, but hadn't mentioned it here due to the words "Early Access Title" which seems to earn an automatic anathema rating around here.

--Patrick

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been watching it with interest, but hadn't mentioned it here due to the words "Early Access Title" which seems to earn an automatic anathema rating around here.
With how much attention PUBG has gotten from forum members, I figured people were past some of the early access stigma.[DOUBLEPOST=1514934741,1514934540][/DOUBLEPOST]
I looked into this when it showed up on my recommendation queue on steam, but I'm shying away from early access games these days. I've gotten too many of them that just didn't pan out to my liking :(
I've felt that way about games that weren't early access. A lot of the balance changes to Magicka made me realize that what the devs wanted the game to be and the reason I was playing the game were two entirely different things, that and the DLC completely put me off the series.

In any case, I don't see any different between talking about an early access title and talking about a trailer. Just because you can purchase it now in an incomplete form doesn't mean it can't be something you just keep an eye on for how it finishes.

I've felt that way about games that weren't early access. A lot of the balance changes to Magicka made me realize that what the devs wanted the game to be and the reason I was playing the game were two entirely different things, that and the DLC completely put me off the series.

In any case, I don't see any different between talking about an early access title and talking about a trailer. Just because you can purchase it now in an incomplete form doesn't mean it can't be something you just keep an eye on for how it finishes.
Agreed, and it's on my watchlist :)