Video Game News and Miscellany

Bethesda's Creation Club has been released, which involves Steam installing an update to Fallout 4 (and, presumably, Skyrim SE too). This new update apparently borks F4SE, so if you play with mods that require F4SE then you're going to have to wait until F4SE is updated.

As for the wares on offer on the Creation Club itself, currently the consensus appears to be "WTF so not worth the money."

Sigh. Sonic Mania is a great game, but Sega can't keep from fucking up. The PC version is finally out, and it comes with super shitty denuvo always online drm

Bethesda's Creation Club has been released, which involves Steam installing an update to Fallout 4 (and, presumably, Skyrim SE too). This new update apparently borks F4SE, so if you play with mods that require F4SE then you're going to have to wait until F4SE is updated.

As for the wares on offer on the Creation Club itself, currently the consensus appears to be "WTF so not worth the money."
Hey hey, it gets better. And by better I mean worse.

The Creation Club update to Fallout 4 is approximately 2 gigs in size. Yes, two gigabytes. Do you know why it takes two gigabytes to add an in-game store to Fallout 4? Because every single fucking piece of Creation Club content is automatically downloaded to your hard drive. This is easily confirmed if you have Fallout 4 installed right now, go to the Data folder in the Fallout 4 directory and you'll see the .ba2 files for the paid mods, eg Chinese Stealth Armor, Military Backpack etc. When you buy a Creation Club mod, you're basically paying for the .esp file that allows you to add the mod to your load order. In other words, Bethesda have somehow managed to combine paid mods, microtransactions, and on-disk DLC into one motherfucking package. That's honestly impressive, in the same sense that someone producing a ten-kilogram turd in one go is impressive.

So what happens when new mods get added to the Creation Club? Do you have to download the data files for every single mod on offer? Hope you didn't install FO4 on an SSD. If the Creation Club is updated every week, does that mean F4SE is going to get broken every week, and the F4SE team will need to constantly update their application? I mean, seriously, what the fuck.

I was never interested in the Creation Club, but I was more than willing to just live and let live. I assumed that I could just ignore the Creation Club and play my modded FO4 the way I always have. But now the Creation Club is actively hindering my ability to play my game, and so I say fuck that. I'm uninstalling Fallout 4 (midway through my first playthrough of Far Harbor, too), and I'm not reinstalling until this shit's changed. I used to be one of Bethesda's biggest fanboys, but that's over now. Fuck them.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
I'm right there with you. I fucking love Skyrim and Fallout. They are my two favorite game series ever. I have almost 1,000 on Skyrim alone (817 for classic & 121 special edition) and 331 hours on Fallout 4. That isn't counting Fallout 3, NV, etc. I had set aside money to purchase both Skyrim and Fallout 4 on VR.

I'm not going to buy these games now. And when the pirate file comes in that allows me to automatically unlock these CC files, you damn bet I'm going to pirate the fuck out of the files THAT I ALREADY HAVE ON MY COMPUTER.

I'm not going to go as far as to uninstall the files from my PC, but I'm going to restrict auto updating and won't buy another game from them unless this goes away.

Dave

Staff member
Fuck it. Steam won't let me set it to not update. Fallout 4, Skyrim, Skrim SE, & Skyrim Online have all been uninstalled.

Consoooooooole :awesome:

Now Gas will come along and say something like "What Bethesda is doing is the sacking of a castle, because there was something there worth pillaging. No one's going to rob the communal mudhut in your serfdom."

GasBandit

Staff member
Consoooooooole :awesome:

Now Gas will come along and say something like "What Bethesda is doing is the sacking of a castle, because there was something there worth pillaging. No one's going to rob the communal mudhut in your serfdom."
Well, it's no fun if you do my job for me.

You left out the iTunes App Store reference, but otherwise pretty close.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, something worth smiling about... apparently while SKSE is broken, texture, model, mesh and other such simple mods are not. Even SkyUI still works.

So, while it's annoying to have SKSE out of commission for the moment, it could be worse.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, I'm a dummy. Not even SKSE is broken. Not for regular Skyrim, anyway. Apparently the Creation Club only affects the special edition, which I had never gotten around to using. Durrr.

CD Projeckt Red released a video celebrating The Witcher's tenth anniversary. And it's wonderfully thanking the fans.

Meanwhile, I'm impatiently waiting for news on Cyberpunk 2077.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm watching a video on what happened to Cyrix processors, and they mentioned this gem of a quote from Cyrix's website:

"However, in all cases, both the 6x86 and Pentium processors achieve the smooth motion frame rate of greater than 13 frames/second."

:rofl:
Oh, early 3D gaming, what were you doing?
I sent this as a quote to a friend, who said it was pretty good for the 90s, and then proceeded to try to convince me that most 2D SNES games only ran at that speed, and some ran as little as 6fps. :rolleyes: