Video Game News and Miscellany

Are these part of the game? Or are they being inserted by ISPs, crackers*, etc?

--Patrick
*you know exactly what I meant, stop it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Are these part of the game? Or are they being inserted by ISPs, crackers*, etc?

--Patrick
*you know exactly what I meant, stop it.
It sounds like it's part of the game (the ads only show up in the lobby), but Bluehole has yet to confirm/comment.

Bluehole and PUBG have proven that they are determined to squander all of the good will they have accumulated. Between flip-flopping on microtransactions and trying to be shit and bully other developers* making similar style games.

*one of which is Epic, so... good luck on trying to bully them

GasBandit

Staff member
Bluehole and PUBG have proven that they are determined to squander all of the good will they have accumulated. Between flip-flopping on microtransactions and trying to be shit and bully other developers* making similar style games.

*one of which is Epic, so... good luck on trying to bully them
It's monumentally hilarious that they tried to pull the "hey you're copying us!" card when they themselves are by far the most derivative game of the decade.

It's monumentally hilarious that they tried to pull the "hey you're copying us!" card when they themselves are by far the most derivative game of the decade.
Yeah. You can't claim a genre as your IP, and even if you could, THEY DIDN'T INVENT THE GENRE!

Epic should be like hey, what engine are you running that game on? Oh, it's Unreal? Huh, imagine that.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah. You can't claim a genre as your IP, and even if you could, THEY DIDN'T INVENT THE GENRE!

Epic should be like hey, what engine are you running that game on? Oh, it's Unreal? Huh, imagine that.
And from all accounts, Epic had really been helping them out with stuff to get it running and fix problems... guess all that goodwill just got squandered.

RIP Hawken

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/184356/hawken-pc-sunset-coming

I played it briefly and found it somewhat enjoyable, but I was just not willing to commit to the grind to get better mechs to fight better players with even better mechs, lather, rinse, repeat.
I kind of have to agree. At least with Mechwarrior Online, the difference between a good build/mech and an average/bad one wasn't insurmountable; you still had a shot of winning most engagements with good use of cover and positioning.

GasBandit

Staff member
I kind of have to agree. At least with Mechwarrior Online, the difference between a good build/mech and an average/bad one wasn't insurmountable; you still had a shot of winning most engagements with good use of cover and positioning.
I'd have played a lot more hawken if I could specify "I want to play in a match where everybody is limited to the starter mech."

As lame as it sounds, I know I'm not the only person that held off on Street Fighter 5 waiting for them to actually implement basic fucking features like an Arcade mode.

Now I will buy it Capcom.

Finish your fucking game next time.

GasBandit

Staff member
As lame as it sounds, I know I'm not the only person that held off on Street Fighter 5 waiting for them to actually implement basic fucking features like an Arcade mode.
You are definitely not. I held off as well. I learned my lesson with the shitshow that was SF IV.

I like how they stuck in the tiny print at the end, "We're going to give all of this for free to people who already have SFV please don't hurt us..."

--Patrick

Double Fine has a new video showcasing the "first playable" version of the game. I'd never heard of the term before, but Wikipedia says it's "The first playable is the game version containing representative gameplay and assets, this is the first version with functional major gameplay elements."

And it's...looking pretty good so far. I kind of regret not backing it through Fig, but I'm definitely excited for this.

Double Fine has a new video showcasing the "first playable" version of the game. I'd never heard of the term before, but Wikipedia says it's "The first playable is the game version containing representative gameplay and assets, this is the first version with functional major gameplay elements."

And it's...looking pretty good so far. I kind of regret not backing it through Fig, but I'm definitely excited for this.

Eh, I can see why one would hesitate to back them.

Eh, I can see why one would hesitate to back them.
It was more the cost for me. To back it, I think it was around the full price for a AAA game. If it'd been like $20 or $30, I might've considered it.

But I backed Broken Age and I wasn't disappointed by the final product or the behind the scenes documentaries that came with it.

figmentPez

Staff member
I had no idea that this project was in the works, or that they were crowdfunding. Not that I could have backed anyway, but damn. I hope it goes well.[DOUBLEPOST=1507241860,1507241798][/DOUBLEPOST]
But I backed Broken Age and I wasn't disappointed by the final product or the behind the scenes documentaries that came with it.
I was a backer, and I was disappointed with the final game, though being pleased with the documentary made up for it, as I expected it would in that case.

I had no idea that this project was in the works, or that they were crowdfunding. Not that I could have backed anyway, but damn. I hope it goes well.[DOUBLEPOST=1507241860,1507241798][/DOUBLEPOST]

I was a backer, and I was disappointed with the final game, though being pleased with the documentary made up for it, as I expected it would in that case.
I had my criticisms with the final product, but overall, I don't regret backing it.

Also, looks like it's still available to back. It's not as much as I thought it was. I'll hem and haw about it, but I'll probably back it eventually.

That's what I was asking, if someone found a way to make the money generating routine actually produce useful data at the same time. It wouldn't necessarily even have to be charitable data.
Hmm, perhaps this is something more like what you're looking for? It looks like they're basically looking to outright rent your spare cycles, with payments subsidized to the point that you make slightly more working for them than you do mining.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
So, it turns out the Skyrim multiplayer mod "Skyrim Together" is really, really fucking close to being done.

Gif of one Dovakiin FUSRODAH-ing another:

To-do list of the dev team:

They say it'll be out this year, possibly in October.

Well, Shadow of War's real ending is locked behind either an extremely lengthy tedious grind or a handful of sheckles.

People have even said that a workaround that sounds like the worst thing in the world is to literally let orcs kill you until one of them becomes an orc suitably powerful enough to recruit.

Fuck off.

Fuck WB.

Here's some news that's gonna send @Frank right over the edge, I'm sure.

The original creators of Star Control 2 are going to make an unofficial sequel, scratching out SC3 as non-canonical.
Official website: https://dogarandkazon.squarespace.com/

I love the website URL as well. Well done.

Also according to this: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...I_devs_unite_for_a_passion_project_sequel.php The new game will be called "Ghosts of the Precursors"

In related news, I always thought that the way the copyright for this was "split out" was interesting. TfB "owns" most of the alien races... or something... but not the BRANDING of "Star Control." They can even use that name in-game (it's the name of the Human's space navy... like Starfleet for Star Trek), but not as "the name of the game" itself.