Video Game News and Miscellany

So hopefully this does away with the asset-flipped garbage that Jim Sterling covers on a regular basis.
It probably won't get rid of it completely, but even if it just reduces it, less shit is preferable to more shit.

And I am looking forward to the tears of rage this announcement will bring from the "developers" that are barely one step above Digital Homicide.

Breaking News from Blizzard HQ:

"Starting later this year, we will begin the process of ending support for Windows XP and Windows Vista in World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Hearthstone, and Heroes of the Storm. Microsoft ceased mainstream support for these versions of Windows in 2009 and 2012, respectively, but since a decent portion of our audience was still using them at the time, we continued supporting them. However, there have been three major Windows releases since Vista, and at this point, the vast majority of our audience has upgraded to one of the newer versions.
After these older operating systems are no longer supported, the games will not run on them, so we encourage any players who are still using one of the older OSes to upgrade to a newer version. We’ll be rolling out this change on a staggered schedule, and will post further notices as we get closer to making the change for each game."

Looks like Overwatch already doesn't run on XP. Reminds me of when they ended support for PPC WoW, which was right about when the Lich King expansion came out, I think.

--Patrick

I'm glad I've gotten hooked on Blizzard games again, because we got GameInformer in the mail yesterday with a showcase of 2017's Most Anticipated Games and my reaction was "I care about almost none of these."

Game informer still exists?
"Free" with your PowerUp subscription, you too can read a physical magazine that tells you game news you learned six weeks earlier.

Considering we've barely gone to Gamestop aside from picking up gift cards in the past year, I won't be renewing my subscription.

"Free" with your PowerUp subscription, you too can read a physical magazine that tells you game news you learned six weeks earlier.

Considering we've barely gone to Gamestop aside from picking up gift cards in the past year, I won't be renewing my subscription.
I was also going to say, there are lots of great games coming in 2017, but I don't expect any of them to be advertised by GameStop, who are only interested in selling you used copies of whatever the biggest commercialized game at present is

I was also going to say, there are lots of great games coming in 2017, but I don't expect any of them to be advertised by GameStop, who are only interested in selling you used copies of whatever the biggest commercialized game at present is
That's true.

I think part of it is me. I have no doubt Red Dead Redemption 2 will be great, but I don't feel much eagerness for it. Likewise with Horizon: Zero Dawn and some others.

More interested in the already-released games I missed and still plan to rent, like X-COM 2, The Last Guardian, and Resident Evil 7.

came across my old gfx card box while cleaning out the basement. Man, my n5750 extreme came bundled with deus ex invisible war, and I never played it?! What was I thinking!

Likewise with Horizon: Zero Dawn and some others.
I'm cautiously excited for Horizon because I think Guerrilla make fantastic games but I just could not get into Killzone as a series. They're beautifully crafted and well made I just couldn't make myself care.

Hold the fuck up.

Nintendo Switch is getting all the Shovel Knight content tomorrow, as one package, including the new campaigns.

Meanwhile, those of us who bought it or backed it before have to wait until sometime in April?

The fuck?

Yeah, I love Shovel Knight, but these constant go fuck yourselves to backers is beyond bullshit at this point.

It's funny that the Orks are in every one of the RTS games, but are SEVERELY underrepresented in the actual table top games. I don't know anyone who plays Orks.

If the games were anything like tabletop Warhammer 40k, it would 45/45 split between Space Marines and Tau/Eldar and the last 10% making up every other faction.

It's funny that the Orks are in every one of the RTS games, but are SEVERELY underrepresented in the actual table top games. I don't know anyone who plays Orks.

If the games were anything like tabletop Warhammer 40k, it would 45/45 split between Space Marines and Tau/Eldar and the last 10% making up every other faction.
I always ran them back when I played the tabletop. Orcs & Goblins in Warhammer Fantasy, Orks in W40k.

I think I won once. :D

It's funny that the Orks are in every one of the RTS games, but are SEVERELY underrepresented in the actual table top games.
That's because horde armies are expensive as shit.

The only horde armies I saw on the field at my FLGS, when I was playing, was Nids, and that was after their update. There was 1 Ork army, and that was building off of one of the starter sets (Was that Black Reach?)

I get that. I'm using Pink Horrors in my Thousand Sons army. For every 10 Pink Horrors, if I want to use their rules correctly, I need to have 2 boxes of 10 Blue Horrors/Brimestone Horrors to have enough models to do their split rule.

That's three boxes of models for every 10 units really.

Least Pink Horrors and Blue Horrors are cheap as hell comparatively.

Unlike Magnus. Who is speeeeeeeeeeeeeensive.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'd be more intrigued by this if the d-pad didn't look awful (and I didn't already have, and love, my Steam Controller). However, this is a pretty cool concept, especially for console gaming.

That looks like the most incredible fucking game. Holy shit.

Also, bonus point for a visual reference to the Krayt Dragon vs Rancor fight from Star Wars.

fade

Staff member
So, is this now a full on alternate timeline type deal? The first game could easily have existed alongside the canon story, but now this is a bit too much to do so any longer. Or is this like the DLC for the first game, being set in the past?

So, is this now a full on alternate timeline type deal? The first game could easily have existed alongside the canon story, but now this is a bit too much to do so any longer. Or is this like the DLC for the first game, being set in the past?
From all signs, I'd imagine it's full on Alternative Timeline at this point, but you know, when it offers that kind of experience, I honestly don't care how loose it plays with canon. Same with Lord of the Rings: The Third Age.

The first game was them kinda holding to cannon but not really, just to prove they could.

Now they're like fuck it, you're forging a new ring of power and fighting Sauron with it, because FUCK YEAH!

And I'm ok with this.

At first I was worried that it'd become largely a strategy game, instead of the shooty-stabby fun of the first game. But then when the assault on the fortress started, I was relieved to see just as much shooty-stabby goodness as before.

And then even more and better shooty-stabby goodness!

This literally blew my mind.

Hope that Brazilian site I used last time can offer me this game at $20 again, lol.