Video Game News and Miscellany

GasBandit

Staff member
Squeenix and Marvel have struck a multi-game deal. They're leading it off with an Avengers game that I think is being worked on by Crystal Dynamics or Eidos Montreal.
Here's hoping for a sidescrolling over-the-top 4-player beat-em-up with hamtastic voice acting!

OH-KAY, GO!!!

I can't... move!!!

Hmm, I backed on Kickstarter before, how do they know I backed on Fig? That $24 is not showing up for me, and I don't have any KS emails.

Sorry, I was mistaken, it's only for people who've backed on Fig before.
I just got a discount code in my email about 30 seconds ago, but I don't think it actually did anything, since it was a link and still wants me to pay $29. -_-

AH HA I figured it out. Weird website nonsense.

Instead of just taking the $5 off, I had to tell it I wanted it to take $5 off. Which is silly.

This trailer had me thinking "Looks like Zelda, but why is it reminding me of Final Fantasy so much" from very early on.

Then near the end, you find out why!

Could be interesting. Oceanhorn is at least on my watch list now.

This trailer had me thinking "Looks like Zelda, but why is it reminding me of Final Fantasy so much" from very early on.

Then near the end, you find out why!

Could be interesting. Oceanhorn is at least on my watch list now.
I just finished it this weekend. It's very zelda like but the game is too easy.

I just finished it this weekend. It's very zelda like but the game is too easy.
The reason I linked it is that there was an article that announced that it's coming out for the Switch in the fall. I didn't look further to see that it was already out. Thanks for the info!

That is how every console is, though. New console comes out, so game developers put what they already have on it.
Yeah I can't really fault that, they need a decent chunk of games ready to release right around launch, and ports are by far the easiest thing for developers to put out there. I'm sure Nintendo's banking on Zelda selling consoles for them, but having a couple familiar titles that maybe people didn't get around to can't hurt.

fade

Staff member
And retropie works out of the box with my ps4 controller via bluetooth. Though to be fair, you need a $35 Raspberry Pi and a $10 MicroSD card, too.

GasBandit

Staff member
I still just use the keyboard on Nestopia, I like it fine.

*cough*
gasbanditrydotcomslashNES
*coughcough*

Though it's a shame the network multiplayer doesn't work any more.

Reactions: Jay
So Squeenix decided that it would be cool to split Deus Ex Mankind Divided into two games during development. Hey, they can sell two games this way right?

Then they made a deal with Marvel. Now all of Eidos is ordered to switch all development to Marvel games. Deus Ex Mankind Divided the Rest of the Game is now backburnered indefinitely.

Fucking pieces of shit.

Jim Sterling was right about one thing, Square Enix is WAY more fond of announcing games than actually fucking making them.

Oh and FF7 Remake is (SHOCKINGLY) taking so long that some episodes aren't even likely to make it out this generation of console hardware. Ready for your multigeneration episodic game?

Calling it now. It's never coming out.

Neither is Kingdom Hearts 3.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5858q38049579q3847598q32r89 though, which will include the barely played PS Vita classic Kingdom Hearts Asses on the Moon Dreaming of Something That Smells Vaguely of Roses or Maybe Sweat 23333/444, will be released this November, it will also be rerereleased next January.

OH, AND IF DOES COME OUT, the FF7 remake, they're only going to get one, maybe two episodes into it before they decide it's not worth pursuing further. This is after spending 1.3 billion dollars on 7 new game engines and firing and rehiring every developer in Japan.

Last edited:
Kingdom Hearts has been a huge fucking mess of a series since they first started releasing multi-platform and anyone who is excited for new mainline games is insane.

FF7 is worth playing as-is, so as neat as a remake/rebuild/whatever the fuck sounded I'll just stick to weird PSX polygons.

The ENTIRE problem with Kingdom Hearts, as a series, is that Square Enix bet on the wrong handheld. The PSP Vita did great in Japan because it had a lot of JRPG support, but it tanked everywhere else because it had NO support... so their plans to make it THE Kingdom Hearts platform went up in flames. This forced them to release the next real installment on the PSP and release all the side shit on the DS, which just lead to fatigue.

And yes, fuck the Deus Ex situtation. SE needs to stop treating their western studios like redheaded stepchildren when they are the only ones consistently putting out quality games.

Valve plans to replace Steam Greenlight with Steam Direct

The most promising part of the article is this:
"This new path, which we’re calling 'Steam Direct,' is targeted for spring 2017 and will replace Steam Greenlight," Valve explains. "We will ask new developers to complete a set of digital paperwork, personal or company verification, and tax documents similar to the process of applying for a bank account. Once set up, developers will pay a recoupable application fee for each new title they wish to distribute, intended to decrease the noise in the submission pipeline." Part of the goal is to discourage the submission of Greenlight projects that are submitted in bad faith, such as joke-projects or projects comprised of stolen assets.
So hopefully this does away with the asset-flipped garbage that Jim Sterling covers on a regular basis.