Former President Trump Thread

I think you underestimate how many conservatives view Trump as a good man. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure a fair number of them honestly think that he's not committed crimes bad enough for any president to be impeached for.
I don't know, too many of his supporters treat him like they treat their religion, and not being racist. They think it's enough to just say it in that way that always sounds more like they're trying to convince themselves to accept it, instead of actually believing it for real.

It's like the support for the Iraq War... years later all of a sudden many more people remembered being against it then where actually against it at the time.

TLDR version: half the country fervently believes "things that piss off liberals are not a crime."
I told someone else today that it feels like one of those "College athlete allowed to remain on team despite scandal" news stories, where the athlete "gets away with it" allegedly because "it would ruin our traditions" or some such, except scaled to an entire nation.

--Patrick

I told someone else today that it feels like one of those "College athlete allowed to remain on team despite scandal" news stories, where the athlete "gets away with it" allegedly because "it would ruin our traditions" or some such, except scaled to an entire nation.
I mentioned before how Trump supporters sell foam fingers and other memorabilia. People treat politics more like sports then actual issues.

I don’t care if they swore an oath to Mr. Green Jeans: If they’re not willing to uphold any oath or promise they’ve made to anybody, how could any constituent ever trust any promise they make going forward?

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
From Christianity Today: Trump Should Be Removed From Office

I am genuinely surprised.

"Let’s grant this to the president: The Democrats have had it out for him from day one, and therefore nearly everything they do is under a cloud of partisan suspicion. This has led many to suspect not only motives but facts in these recent impeachment hearings. And, no, Mr. Trump did not have a serious opportunity to offer his side of the story in the House hearings on impeachment. "

Okay, I'm less surprised now. The article is so full of SHIT.

"the impeachment hearings have made it absolutely clear, in a way the Mueller investigation did not,"

:facepalm:

But they do get some things right, "His Twitter feed alone—with its habitual string of mischaracterizations, lies, and slanders—is a near perfect example of a human being who is morally lost and confused."

and ultimately they say, "President Trump has abused his authority for personal gain and betrayed his constitutional oath. The impeachment hearings have illuminated the president’s moral deficiencies for all to see. This damages the institution of the presidency, damages the reputation of our country, and damages both the spirit and the future of our people. None of the president’s positives can balance the moral and political danger we face under a leader of such grossly immoral character."

Hey, Christianity Today, has it occurred to your editors that "The Democrats have had it out for him from day one," precisely because of his "grossly immoral character"? Are you going to give people any credit for correctly recognizing that a "spade is a spade" well before you had the guts to come out and say it?

I mean, he had been invited multiple times and told people not to testify? That's literally being given a chance to make his case.

figmentPez

Staff member
I mean, he had been invited multiple times and told people not to testify? That's literally being given a chance to make his case.
I'm gonna give the editor of Christianity the benefit of the doubt, and consider the possibility that he realizes that, and how much other bullshit he repeated in that letter, and framed his call for impeachment with those "concessions" in an attempt to get his audience to actually listen to the overall message of Trump's immorality.

Hey, Christianity Today, has it occurred to your editors that "The Democrats have had it out for him from day one," precisely because of his "grossly immoral character"? Are you going to give people any credit for correctly recognizing that a "spade is a spade" well before you had the guts to come out and say it?
"I am not sure I have. I just go on and try to do a better job from there. I don't think so," he said. "I think if I do something wrong, I think, I just try and make it right. I don't bring God into that picture. I don't."
- Donald Trump, when asked if he had ever asked God for forgiveness for his actions (July 2015)

If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts.
- 1 John 1:8-10 (NLT2)

figmentPez

Staff member
And now Fox News is claiming that Trump isn't really impeached until the House sends the articles of impeachment to the Senate. :facepalm:

figmentPez

Staff member
Just made this post to Facebook, and I'm both terrified about what reaction might be, and pissed that I should have to worry about backlash from saying something this simple:

View attachment 32588
Apparently one day of anxiety wasn't enough, and I just can't keep my mouth shut on FB.

I said this in regards to the Christianity Today editorial calling for Trump to be removed from office:
Christianity Today has published a very important letter from it's editor. "Trump Should Be Removed from Office" <SNIP link> This is a publication that was founded by Billy Graham, and has a long history of being a major evangelical publication. I think everyone should read this editorial, but I'll quote some of the most important points here:

<SNIP quotes>

While I disagree with a number of things that the editor of Christianity Today says, his overall message finds words for thoughts I have been thinking for a while, and afraid to speak openly on Facebook. Supporting the immoral actions of President Trump is damaging to the witness of the Church. In my last FB post I called out the hypocrisy of Republican senators who have openly stated that they intend to take the Lord's name in vain. Today I applaud the bravery of the staff of Christianity Today, and condemn any attempts to dismiss them out of hand. Even if you don't think the evidence against Trump is irrefutable, to dismiss the words in this editorial as a "totally partisan attack" or say it's only goal is to "discredit and smear", would show not only a profound lack of moral character, but a disconnect from reality.

What the United States is facing right now is a trial, literally and figuratively. Christianity is facing an even bigger test. We are being asked to pay attention and speak up about a leader who is attempting to use his professions of support for Christianity as a defense against his unrepentantly immoral actions. We are being called to speak out against leaders who have openly said that they intend to take oaths and then break them.

For those that believe that God sets up political institutions, and that all who are in power are there because of His will, I remind you that the political system of the United States has impeachment as part of it's laws. We as Americans are responsible for electing Congress and the Senate, and they are responsible for impeaching Presidents who fail to uphold their oath of office. Impeachment is not a rebellion against God's order. It is a fulfillment of the structure of authority that is in place in this country. When a President abuses his power, impeachment is the right and morally correct action to take in response, and this impeachment has been done by the letter of, and hopefully in the spirit of, the law.

The system of power that God has allowed to be in place is not one man; the United States is not a theological monarchy. Even if it were, we are responsible to God above all men, and I will never support the corruption, slander, unchecked anger, bullying, racism, bigotry, and misogyny that have been the daily characteristics of this Presidential administration. These qualities are not compatible with following the Jesus Christ I know.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

figmentPez

Staff member
Nearly 200 "christian" "leaders" have signed a letter responding to Christianity Today's editorial calling for Trump's removal. Names include Michele Bachmann (former congresswoman from Minnesota), James Dobson (founder of Focus on the Family), Jerry Falwell Jr., Mike Huckabee, Michael Tait (musician in the band Newsboys), and the founders of some really sketchy organizations. I'm willing to bet a lot on that list are "prosperity gospel" preachers.

My question is, do they have to split the 40 pieces of silver, or do they each get their own coin purse?

Last edited:
Nearly 200 "christian" "leaders" have signed a letter responding to Christianity Today's editorial calling for Trump's removal. Names include Michele Bachmann (former congresswoman from Minnesota), James Dobson (founder of Focus on the Family), Jerry Falwell Jr., Mike Huckabee, Michael Tait (musician in the band Newsboys), and the founders of some really sketchy organizations. I'm willing to bet a lot on that list are "prosperity gospel" preachers.

My question is, do they have to split the 40 pieces of silver, or do they each get their own coin purse?
In other news, Christianity Today's subscriptions got a bit of a boost after posting the editorial, sooo...

--Patrick

I like how they're all "you're just not as forgiving to sinners as Jesus wanted, like we are!"

It's "go forth and sin no more!" not "just keep sinning, as long as you give me those policies i want!"

figmentPez

Staff member
I like how they're all "you're just not as forgiving to sinners as Jesus wanted, like we are!"

It's "go forth and sin no more!" not "just keep sinning, as long as you give me those policies i want!"
I was also struck by their "Well, who do you support among the Democrat candidates for 2020?" I can't begin to list all the logical fallacies in that letter. CT wants Trump removed from office. They don't want Trump as a candidate in 2020. Presumably, they want Republicans to field a candidate who is morally upstanding. The two party system is killing this country.

I was also struck by their "Well, who do you support among the Democrat candidates for 2020?" I can't begin to list all the logical fallacies in that letter. CT wants Trump removed from office. They don't want Trump as a candidate in 2020. Presumably, they want Republicans to field a candidate who is morally upstanding. The two party system is killing this country.
It occurs to me that it might be good for everybody if CT endorsed Mike Pence sooner than later. It'd add chaos to the Republican side of the election and put pressure on Trump.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm inclined to believe evangelicals like trump more than their preachers
Their preachers are still concealing their racism in public. Also, their preachers promise miracles will make them rich if they give the preacher money first; Trump says he's already made them rich, and they just have to give him their votes.

There's more than that, I'm sure. Trump supporters like how viciously he gossips about everyone, but depending on the religious leader...

There are those of us who don't fall in with Joey O$teen.

"Truly he taught us to love one another; His law is love, and His gospel is peace..."