TIL: Today I Learned

GasBandit

Staff member
TIL Sam's Club ships, without sales tax, and the shipping comes out to be about the same for me as the sales tax would have been had I gone across town to get it myself.

Oh, and THEY carry Benefiber (even if the local store is out).

And figuring in the protein shakes and bars I buy from there already, even with the sam's club membership it works out being cheaper than Amazon Prime.

Only down side is I gotta plan ahead. I could go there to get stuff today, or have it shipped to me monday. I'm ok with that. Planning ahead so I can be lazy is one of my favorite things.

TIL that a downgraded Hurricane in the Pacific is going to bring some serious soaking to the PHX metro area this weekend.

fade

Staff member
TIL the guy who played Michael Myers in the original Halloween went on to direct The Last Starfighter and a bunch of other movies. The Last Starfighter has Lance Guest in it, who was in Halloween 2.
And he is coming back to play Michael Myers in the new movie. At least in the asylum.

TIL: I've mentioned before Li'l Z is really into car racing. Like, ALL of it. NASCAR (well, not as much NASCAR anymore), Indy Car, Formula 1, Rally Car, whatever. And he knows all the racers and loves to talk about them. I'm not really into this, so I recognize all the names, but I never really payed attention to the faces.

This morning I learned Formula 1's Simon Pagenaud bares MORE than a passing resemblance to Talladega Night's Jean Girard. Apparently, Pagenaud has a sense of humor about it. If you scroll down in the comments, you will find a Youtube video of Pagenaud doing an interview as Jean Girard, plus the official team t-shirt saying he loves crepes. (And if you don't follow "Formula Oon", Will Power is an actual racer, and yes, that is his real name.)

TIL: I've mentioned before Li'l Z is really into car racing. Like, ALL of it. NASCAR (well, not as much NASCAR anymore), Indy Car, Formula 1, Rally Car, whatever. And he knows all the racers and loves to talk about them. I'm not really into this, so I recognize all the names, but I never really payed attention to the faces.

This morning I learned Formula 1's Simon Pagenaud bares MORE than a passing resemblance to Talladega Night's Jean Girard. Apparently, Pagenaud has a sense of humor about it. If you scroll down in the comments, you will find a Youtube video of Pagenaud doing an interview as Jean Girard, plus the official team t-shirt saying he loves crepes. (And if you don't follow "Formula Oon", Will Power is an actual racer, and yes, that is his real name.)
Relevant. 24 hrs of LeMans live stream. Fernando Alonso is racing in the Toyota Gazoo Racing (really!) #8.

Funny thing: when I was a kid, I wanted to be a race car driver. I'd dream of driving at Indy, then at Daytona, then Talladega.

The IRL/CART feud drove me away from IndyCar. Two things drove me away from NASCAR: Fox taking over the broadcasting, and Dale Sr.'s death. The latter of those two is ironic since I was always a Ford/Mopar guy, and actively disliked Dale while he was driving.

Funny thing: when I was a kid, I wanted to be a race car driver. I'd dream of driving at Indy, then at Daytona, then Talladega.

The IRL/CART feud drove me away from IndyCar. Two things drove me away from NASCAR: Fox taking over the broadcasting, and Dale Sr.'s death. The latter of those two is ironic since I was always a Ford/Mopar guy, and actively disliked Dale while he was driving.
For me, I stopped paying attention when I got bored of the sport. Although I did give up on F1 before that when the head of that league said he liked that races were determined by pit strategy instead of, y'know, racing.

Dale Sr's death did cure me of cheering for the crashes, which probably pushed me away from racing, too.

Although I did give up on F1 before that when the head of that league said he liked that races were determined by pit strategy instead of, y'know, racing.
Was that Bernie that said that? I don't remember the quote but it wouldn't surprise me.

Hermann Tilke is the other guy I blame for ruining F1. Every new track or any change to an existing track since the 1990's has been done by him and they're all terrible designs because he's to busy making sure the grandstands will look pretty on TV to spend much time on the actual track so he just reuses the same basic design which is boring and next to impossible to overtake on.

fade

Staff member
Spent most of my life in #1 and #9. Can confirm. Am melting.

I can't help but chuckle when the Today show starts panicking about how it's going to be 91 in NYC today. Oh, you mean like it was in March here?

I can't help but chuckle when the Today show starts panicking about how it's going to be 91 in NYC today. Oh, you mean like it was in March here?
A good majority of NYCers are in old buildings that have no accessible air conditioning. The tightly packed buildings don't really get goo breezes, either. Public transportation that most people rely on gets effected by the heat, too. When it gets above a certain temperature, the elderly and the poor are the most susceptible. It causes a number of deaths every year.

Was that Bernie that said that? I don't remember the quote but it wouldn't surprise me.

Hermann Tilke is the other guy I blame for ruining F1. Every new track or any change to an existing track since the 1990's has been done by him and they're all terrible designs because he's to busy making sure the grandstands will look pretty on TV to spend much time on the actual track so he just reuses the same basic design which is boring and next to impossible to overtake on.
I don't know for sure, but I think it wass Bernie.

And yeah, most of the new tracks are so boring to race in the F1 video game. When I started noticing they were designed by the same guy, I understood why. I mean, a lot of the charm of a league like F1 (and Indycar) for me when I was watching was that each track was unique (except Indy's Ovals, but that carried its own charm. I see absolutely nothing in Tilke's designs that comes close to Spa's hill,
Laguna Seca's corckscrew, or Montreal's wall, to name the first 3 iconic features that pop to mind.

fade

Staff member
A good majority of NYCers are in old buildings that have no accessible air conditioning. The tightly packed buildings don't really get goo breezes, either. Public transportation that most people rely on gets effected by the heat, too. When it gets above a certain temperature, the elderly and the poor are the most susceptible. It causes a number of deaths every year.
It's also what people are used to, and what they know how to manage. Those points are true of a most of the lower income areas of Houston, too. Old buildings, no AC, public transportation or walking in the sun.

I really kind of meant it as a "turnabout is fair play" thing. The Today anchors love to poke fun at the south when it freezes, but all those same things are true in reverse. It shuts down here because we don't have experience and people die.

TIL I can pay $5 more a month to family share YouTube Premium instead of only having it on one Google account and having my kids fight over it. (And we have 4 separate Google accounts and all watch different things at the same time, so it's not totally ridiculous to do so)

I see absolutely nothing in Tilke's designs that comes close to Spa's hill,
Laguna Seca's corckscrew, or Montreal's wall, to name the first 3 iconic features that pop to mind.
I think the closest he came was Turkey's turn 8. And we'll probably never see that track on the schedule ever again. :(

TIL that the hottest recorded temperature in Arizona was in June of 1994... in Lake Havasu City.

Because the lake is located in a bowl only about 475 feet above sea level, the heat sits there and has no where to go. As a result, the city has average temps around this time of year above 120 F.

In between the solstice and the first week of July, it gets REALLY hot. And in 1994, it reached 128 F, the second highest temperature ever recorded in the US.

And, its 30-year average temperature is only one degree below that of Death Valley, California.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
TIL that AltFurry is a thing. White supremacist, ultra conservative, right wing furries. Right down to a red arm band with a black paw print replacing the usual swastika.

:Leyla: