TIL: Today I Learned

Yeah, and businesses don't have to accept your payment if you try to do so in all pennies, either.
There's an actual thing that says that pennies are only legal tender up to $20, I think?
<searches around on the Internet>
Ah. Prior to the Coinage Act of 1965, coinage was not considered legal tender if it exceeded $10, and pennies were technically only valid in aggregates up to 25 cents.

--Patrick

“Debts public and private” means exactly what it says.

Shops don’t have to accept cash payment, but any service that allows you to accrue debt does.

Shops can demand chickens in payment - the government can’t force them to accept us treasury backed notes.

But debt, that’s got a lot more consumer protection than commerce.

Yes so basically any place can accept any form of payment it wants to...IF they tell you up front before you have taken possession of their goods/services. They're just not allowed to change the terms after you have accepted them.

--Patrick

Oh suuuure, but when I tell girls I'm selling paper money, and they can buy it by paying me with sex, that's prostitution.

TIL that gaming mice actually make a difference.

I always kind of pooh-poohed fancy schmancy gaming mice. I stuck with my standard logitech mice, because I liked the shape, and it's a brand I've been using for somewhere around 20 years. I've been playing Minesweeper for about that long, too. And 179 seconds was my best time for clearing the "Advanced" board. For years and years. I figured it was simply impossible (for me) to do better.

So, I got a Razer mouse a few months ago. It's not as ergonomically shaped as my Logitech, but it has "ultra glide feet" or somesuch. Which leads me to:

minesweeper.png

Laugh all you want. I don't play shooter/twitch games. This is the best I got :p

I'm just surprised that a mouse could make so much difference.

Last edited:
I'm just surprised that a mouse could make so much difference.
I thought the same thing about bowling balls. Then I got one that was actually customized for me and immediately added 40 pins to my previous best game. Something about being able to customize the settings to match your style, I guess.

--Patrick

I thought the same thing about bowling balls. Then I got one that was actually customized for me and immediately added 40 pins to my previous best game. Something about being able to customize the settings to match your style, I guess.

--Patrick
I haven't even customized this mouse, or downloaded any Razer app or anything. The only real change is the smoother (and thus faster) gliding on my mousepad.

For shits and giggles, I went back to an old logitech I had in a desk drawer last night, and it felt like I was dragging the mouse across clay it had so much resistance on the mouse pad, comparatively.

Pfft. Freaking casuals. Talk to me when you are sub-90.

(I'm not kidding about the sub-90 part. No joke, my best time (back in the day) was 67 for 99 mines. I'm kind of a freak that way)
Yeah, i watched some of the world record holders (sub 30) on youtube. They play pretty much exactly as I do, (same basic decisions and stuff). I just can't fathom making the decisions that quickly.

figmentPez

Staff member
The Android version has medals for completing each difficulty without taking damage, and for without marking any tiles. Interesting variations, but when I'm just playing to waste some time, I like to hit level 4 and then intentionally kill a couple level 8 monsters, which is enough XP to hit level 5. I find that's a nice way to speed the game along.

Not according to the stopwatch on my phone. It is important to note, though, that Minesweeper time starts at "1" and not "0", so any time you get is actually one second longer than your real time.
Huh. I know back on my old computer when I was a kid a minesweeper second was like 2 regular seconds

Ah, the good old days of making a game easier by abusing the Turbo button. Frogger was practically impossible with the Turbo on!
F-19 Stealth Fighter was impossible to fly on Turbo. Just make sure that you are on auto-pilot before touching that button. And turn it off before hitting a waypoint, or the plane will fly like a playing card tossed into the wind.

I learned today that that building that's shown off before all Kink.com videos is a place in San Francisco. I learned this because I had to do a mission there in Watch_Dogs 2.

I had no idea.

I learned today that that building that's shown off before all Kink.com videos is a place in San Francisco. I learned this because I had to do a mission there in Watch_Dogs 2.

I had no idea.
If you have Netflix (and it's still on it) or you can find it elsewhere, James Franco's Kink is a decent NSFW documentary that explores the building and its peoples.

GasBandit

Staff member

I had no idea.
If you read the Reprehensible Filth thread, you'd know all about the SF Armory, and its connection to kink.com :p