TIL: Today I Learned

figmentPez

Staff member
The phrases ear candy, eye candy, and arm candy all date back to the late 1970s and early 80s, but nose candy dates back to the 1930s.

fade

Staff member
Apparently Jonathan Frakes calls "Deep Space Nine" "Deep Throat Nine" and it seems there's a reason for that.

(huh, I never noticed before how everyone behind him breaks character and laughs when he does that. I guess it was unrehearsed?)

fade

Staff member
TIL that the popular account of Kitty Genovese's murder is largely false, and that there was very little bystander effect at play.

In 2004, on the fortieth anniversary of Genovese's death, The New York Times published a new investigation into the crime and its aftermath. Reporters found that many details of the case had been misrepresented or exaggerated in order to play up the crazy "thirty-seven witnesses!" angle. Most of the so-called "witnesses" never saw anything; they assumed the yelling was just drunks or a domestic spat. Some neighbors looking out their windows did scare Genovese's killer off after a first attack, and then assumed the situation was resolved. No one saw him return and attack Genovese again out of public view around the corner. One timid neighbor, Karl Ross, did knowingly return to his apartment, not wanting to get involved at a time when police weren't well known for responsiveness and there was no centralized dispatcher to call anyway—but Ross was the exception, not the rule. In general, Genovese's neighbors did what they could. Two separate parties did call the police, and one neighbor came outside to investigate and ending up holding Genovese until help arrived.

Today I learned, but was altogether not all that surprised to learn, that there is Rule 34 of Aunt May. No, not the Marissa Tomei version.

Yes, I learned this by searching for Rule 34 of Aunt May. I regret nothing!

Today I learned, but was altogether not all that surprised to learn, that there is Rule 34 of Aunt May. No, not the Marissa Tomei version.

Given that the Marissa Tomei version is most recent, it stands to reason that there would be a goodly amount of artwork for her. It's a gamble I'd take.

figmentPez

Staff member

Considering that Trouble is a comic that exists, and thus Aunt May's teenage sexual exploits are part of Marvel comic history... I'm not at all surprised that Rule 34 exists.

Considering that Trouble is a comic that exists, and thus Aunt May's teenage sexual exploits are part of Marvel comic history... I'm not at all surprised that Rule 34 exists.
The timeline of that comic never made any sense... "aunt" May would be in her 30s when Peter got his powers if we go by it. And barely 40 when they sold their marriage to Mephisto for her life (which actually would make a little more sense then doing it for a 70-80 year old).

fade

Staff member
Aunt May's age never made much sense anyway. It's definitely, canonically stated that she's his aunt and not his great aunt, yet she's elderly for some reason. The only thing they ever say is that Ben was much older than his brother, but geez, that's some age gap.

Aunt May's age never made much sense anyway. It's definitely, canonically stated that she's his aunt and not his great aunt, yet she's elderly for some reason. The only thing they ever say is that Ben was much older than his brother, but geez, that's some age gap.
On the flip side, my aunt and I are only 9 years apart. I once dated a lady older than her ;)

It's almost like, in the old days, people had a tough time not getting pregnant at random on account of a lack of contraceptive tools. Add infant m0rtality tot hat, and there's really nothing out of the ordinary about siblings with big age gaps.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's almost like, in the old days, people had a tough time not getting pregnant at random on account of a lack of contraceptive tools. Add infant m0rtality tot hat, and there's really nothing out of the ordinary about siblings with big age gaps.
Actually, it's usually the other way around - human fertility after 35 starts to nose dive, and so most people generally have kids in their 20s.

Actually, it's usually the other way around - human fertility after 35 starts to nose dive, and so most people generally have kids in their 20s.
If by nose dive you mean you get more chances of genetic diseases (by which i mean the chances go from like .1% to .2%, which is technically double, but still low ), yeah... but as long as menopause doesn't happen you're still likely to get pregnant (apparently normal chances are 30% when a woman is ovulating, so they're not that high in the 1st place)

Here's them doing it for a year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertility#Female_fertility

Like i said, it's not as big of a "dive" as you'd assume.

GasBandit

Staff member
If by nose dive you mean you get more chances of genetic diseases (by which i mean the chances go from like .1% to .2%, which is technically double, but still low ), yeah... but as long as menopause doesn't happen you're still likely to get pregnant (apparently normal chances are 30% when a woman is ovulating, so they're not that high in the 1st place)

Here's them doing it for a year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertility#Female_fertility

Like i said, it's not as big of a "dive" as you'd assume.
That's not the whole story. As you might expect, this was a topic of particular interest to me for personal reasons.

Women over 35 are about ~30% more likely to miscarry, "miss" ovulations more frequently, and have more health complications than their younger counterparts, as do the kids they conceive. By 40, guys generally get their sperm count cut in half, which doesn't make matters easier as well.

I'm not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE to get pregnant in the late 30s/40s/beyond, it just takes a LOT more effort and has health risks to be concerned about.

Hence, most people have their kids when they're young, dumb, and full of cum :p (and healthy and elastic)

Yeah, when we were shopping around for a doctor when Kati was pregnant, we were surprised to discover that every doctor we talked to was unwilling to take us on due to concerns about her "high risk" status. After further probing, we discovered that the sole criterion in each case placing her into the high risk category was that she was over 35.

--Patrick

On the flip side, my aunt and I are only 9 years apart. I once dated a lady older than her ;)
Me too! I have an aunt a mere 8 years older than me. My father is 14 years older than her. Pauline was a teensy smidgen older than my aunt :p
When I went to Vegas (about 5 years ago), they let me put down a hundred buckks on "@steinman will have a grandchild older than at least one of his children."

When I went to Vegas (about 5 years ago), they let me put down a hundred buckks on "@steinman will have a grandchild older than at least one of his children."
That's a pretty safe investment, of course you'll have to collected it in bottlecaps due to the upcoming nuclear war.