TIL: Today I Learned

Today I learned that a cog is a tooth on a wheel, but also is used for the entire cogwheel; that gears are cogwheels that mesh directly, while sprockets are cogwheels that are connected by a chain or track.

figmentPez

Staff member
Today I learned that a cog is a tooth on a wheel, but also is used for the entire cogwheel; that gears are cogwheels that mesh directly, while sprockets are cogwheels that are connected by a chain or track.
So, when I'm changing gears on my bike, I'm actually switching the chain from sprocket to sprocket, because my bike has no actual gears? :confused:

So, when I'm changing gears on my bike, I'm actually switching the chain from sprocket to sprocket, because my bike has no actual gears? :confused:
Correct. You are changing sprockets to adjust the ratio in order to better suit the situation. While changing gears in a car is literally changing gears, since the cogwheels in a transmission mesh and are correctly gears, not sprockets.

Today I learned that the disappointing follow up to Beast Wars, Beast Machines', intro is an actual song. The intro theme is sweet as hell. Here's the full version:

Today I learned that the disappointing follow up to Beast Wars, Beast Machines', intro is an actual song. The intro theme is sweet as hell. Here's the full version:

And it provides more support for the "heavily influenced by Kraftwerk" argument.

--Patrick

TIRL(relearned)-in the DC 1,000,000 alternate future, Lex Luthor's descendant is named Lori Lombard...Lombard...as in the Metropolis news sportscaster...if that ain't a conflicting family history I don't know WHAT is.

TIRL(relearned)-in the DC 1,000,000 alternate future, Lex Luthor's descendant is named Lori Lombard...Lombard...as in the Metropolis news sportscaster...if that ain't a conflicting family history I don't know WHAT is.
In 997,964 years, it won't fucking matter. Naming conventions will have evolved, shifted, devolved, re-evolved, etc, probably 1000 times in that period.

So it's not the year 1,000,000, but day 1,000,000?

That's still more than 2700 years. Biological or adoptive heritage are meaningless.
Yup, exactly 1,000,000 days after the first Action Comics.

And I know, I just thought it was funny that the character had a possible shared history of hi-tech business savvy supervillains, and jock sportscasters.

If you assume a generation to be 30 years, then it's over 90 generations down the road. That's 2 to the 90th power ancestors. That's many times more than the current population of Earth.

If you assume a generation to be 30 years, then it's over 90 generations down the road. That's 2 to the 90th power ancestors. That's many times more than the current population of Earth.
And remember that when people say they aren't related right now.

Spent the day ripping up sod and digging holes for a friend. I'm so God damn sore.

Today I learned that I will never, ever, for any reason, become a professional landscaper.

TIL that Rebecca Black (of Friday fame) actually released two proper singles last year and this year, and what's more they're actually pretty good.