TIL: Today I Learned

I hated the way they felt before cellphones. I couldn't wait to give them up.
But there's less social stigma attached to looking at a wristwatch vs. looking at a phone. When I look at my watch/fitbit obsessively people just think I'm impatient. :p

To be honest, you can count yourself lucky to have not been exposed to incels until now.

I mean, I'd probably be the most incel-ish forumite here, especially if I'd never managed to get married, and even I think they go way way way too far.

To be honest, you can count yourself lucky to have not been exposed to incels until now.

I mean, I'd probably be the most incel-ish forumite here, especially if I'd never managed to get married, and even I think they go way way way too far.
It's not the people I didn't know about. I have been gaming for long enough to know to never use voice chat. I didn't know they had an actual stupid name for themselves.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's not the people I didn't know about. I have been gaming for long enough to know to never use voice chat. I didn't know they had an actual stupid name for themselves.
Apparently the term was invented in 1993 by a woman who considered herself involuntarily celebate, and started a website as a sort of support group mechanism.

But I do remember that the Isla Vista shooter also referred to himself as incel, in the middle of his extensive diatribes and manifestos calling for basically the violent subjugation and forced objectification of all women.

But I do remember that the Isla Vista shooter also referred to himself as incel, in the middle of his extensive diatribes and manifestos calling for basically the violent subjugation and forced objectification of all women.
So basically ISIS?

GasBandit

Staff member
So basically ISIS?
Not... exactly. From what I've read, that's more about ethnicity than misogyny. ISIS only considers women of certain ethnicity to be suitable for sex slavery - the Yazidi. People of the Yazidi Kurdish ethnic minority have been specifically targeted for extermination (for the males) and enslavement (for the females), and according to ISIS doctrine, are not considered to be "people," treated as animals or objects, to be bought, sold, used, or slaughtered at the owner's whim.

Not... exactly. From what I've read, that's more about ethnicity than misogyny. ISIS only considers women of certain ethnicity to be suitable for sex slavery - the Yazidi. People of the Yazidi Kurdish ethnic minority have been specifically targeted for extermination (for the males) and enslavement (for the females), and according to ISIS doctrine, are not considered to be "people," treated as animals or objects, to be bought, sold, used, or slaughtered at the owner's whim.
Well, yes, but it's not like they treat "real people" women all that much better.

More like today I remembered, but...

I remembered that I was given bitcoin tips on Reddit a couple of times, apparently due to some stuff I wrote, which someone liked enough to tip me for. I just checked the bitcointip account, and I have a total of around 0.007 bitcoins. Seems like a tiny amount, but when converted to US dollars at the current exchange rate, that's around 57 bucks. That's almost enough to buy an AAA game, minus microtransactions and DLC. Problem is, I don't have a bitcoin account, nor do I have any idea how I'm supposed to cash out my tiny fraction of bitcoin into cash.

So, basically, TIL I have fifty bucks I don't know how to get to.

Spend your fraction of a bitcoin as steam cash? They accept bitcoin.

(Make sure it's actually bitcoin and not bitcoin cash, clashic, or some other).

TIL-there's a claw game app where if you win you get an actual stuffed animal shipped from Japan...really?! REALLY?! JUST BUY THE DAMNED STUFFED ANIMALS!

More like today I remembered, but...

I remembered that I was given bitcoin tips on Reddit a couple of times, apparently due to some stuff I wrote, which someone liked enough to tip me for. I just checked the bitcointip account, and I have a total of around 0.007 bitcoins. Seems like a tiny amount, but when converted to US dollars at the current exchange rate, that's around 57 bucks. That's almost enough to buy an AAA game, minus microtransactions and DLC. Problem is, I don't have a bitcoin account, nor do I have any idea how I'm supposed to cash out my tiny fraction of bitcoin into cash.

So, basically, TIL I have fifty bucks I don't know how to get to.
TIL that Steam is no longer going to accept bitcoins. I hadn't gotten around to converting my 0.007 btc into Steam cash yet, so now I've lost my chance. Also, my 0.007 btc has risen in value to nearly 100 dollars.

I mean, I completely understand why Steam made this decision. A currency that can just double in value like that in less than a month is no good as a currency. But still... d'oh.

fade

Staff member
About decellularization, which is the process of removing the donor's cells from an organ, but leaving the 3D structure intact as a lattice for growing the recipient's own stem cells:

Some good links in the link.

As obliging as stem cells are, there’s almost nothing you can’t rebuild with them...IF you have a proper framework upon which to sow them. Someday you’ll essentially be able to 3D print replacement parts, just load collagen into one hopper and stem cells into the other, load the model, and then wait a couple weeks.

Hard to tell who will be more excited about such technology...health professionals, or the BME crowd.

—Patrick

TIL-Ironical is...an actual word...WHAT?! All those years people were SCOFFING at others for using the word-TURNS OUT-its an actual freaking WORD! And can used in place of ironic! ALL THOSE JOKES ABOUT IT BEING WRONG WERE LIES!

I wander what Zinc is going to do when we go straight to a Batman Beyond style future and all money is on Credz and the penny gets phased out? Or some version of Batman Beyond Bitcoin. Point is Batman Beyond should be the future.