TIL: Today I Learned

To be fair, I don't believe you can hang that entirely on "being from the Netherlands."

--Patrick
You'd be surprised how much you can hang on "being from the Netherlands." We're pretty crazy, you know, what with the whole 'living halfway below the ocean' and whatnot.

TIL-the writer of "World War Z" is Mel Brooks' son...odd. Not that that's bad, hell he told some really good stories about his latest Minecraft Book and the Harlem Hellfighters(coolest named WW2 regiment-EVER), but...it still feels odd, in terms of progression.

TIL That Britain passed laws protecting important historical sites after a series of horrendous abuses by private citizens. These abuses included a man tearing down Shakespeare's home to spite what he considered to be annoying tourists, people chipping off pieces of Stonehenge for souvenirs, and a trend among wealthy Americans during the early 20th century that encouraged buying English castles and then tearing them apart for building materials on new homes in the U.S.

It astounds me how horrible people are sometimes. I would love to shrug my shoulders and write this off as ignorant people from the past, but we still get stories to this very day of people vandalizing sites like the Coliseum for their own amusement.

we still get stories to this very day of people vandalizing sites like the Coliseum for their own amusement.
And lately, it's Chinese tourists who have become the "Florida Man" of this phenomenon.

Also, today I learned that there are multiple people out there who have incorporated "cucknorris" into their Twitter handle.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Most people don't even know "lede" is a word.
Which makes sense since it wasn't even in the Merriam-Webster dictionary until 2008, and it's only really used in a very specific context in the newspaper industry. Considering that's a dying industry, I wouldn't be surprised if that spelling means it gets dropped back out of the dictionary in a few decades.

TIL William Dozier, creator of the Batman and Green Hornet TV shows, also made a pilot for Dick Tracy that failed to be picked up. Watch the opening and closing credits and you'll see a familiar face...

TIL-the sorority girls in that terrible America comic Leelumultipass beta theta...are a reference to Fifth Element...okay? Such a weird reference to use to name these obvious rip-offs of the Holliday girls.

Do you guys remember this video of a match in 2004 between Justin Wong and Daigo Umehara, in which Daigo managed to parry every hit in Chun Li's super move to win the match?

Well, TIL that in 2014, ten years later, they fought again, using the same characters, and the question was put to Daigo regarding whether he could do it again.

fade

Staff member
TIL the circuitry in the original Tron costumes was hand-rotoscoped onto each frame. I always assumed it was some kind of camera and lighting + reflective tape deal. Especially since it seems to kind of wink out when they turn from the camera. Or EL wire, which would've probably been expensive in the early 80s (though it's been around since 1936).

Or EL wire, which would've probably been expensive in the early 80s (though it's been around since 1936).
Electroluminescent products of that time period, on top of being expensive, were unreliable, dim, and prone to failure, particularly with repeated flexing. It was only in the 90's that companies overcame the brightness and flexibility issues enough to consider regular use in clothing, and even then they were expensive. Now they're cheap, bright, and reliable.

Even if cost and reliability/flexibility could have been handled, movie cameras of that period required much more brightness than the EL products of that time could provide for the effect they were trying to create.

TIL the circuitry in the original Tron costumes was hand-rotoscoped onto each frame. I always assumed it was some kind of camera and lighting + reflective tape deal. Especially since it seems to kind of wink out when they turn from the camera. Or EL wire, which would've probably been expensive in the early 80s (though it's been around since 1936).
I figured it was reflective tape also, like what John Carpenter used to create the "wireframe" CGI of Manhattan in Escape From New York.

I figured it was reflective tape also, like what John Carpenter used to create the "wireframe" CGI of Manhattan in Escape From New York.
Back in the days when it was cheaper to build a model than to do it in CGI. Ah, nostalgia.

--Patrick

Back in the days when it was cheaper to build a model than to do it in CGI. Ah, nostalgia.

--Patrick
Especially since they already needed the model for other shots and there basically was no such thing as CGI. I mean, Escape from New York was made in 1980, the best computer around was like, what, a Commodore 128?

Especially since they already needed the model for other shots and there basically was no such thing as CGI. I mean, Escape from New York was made in 1980, the best computer around was like, what, a Commodore 128?
No, even an Apple II+ could've done it, but the time it would've taken to program and animate it? Ugh.

I mean, an Amiga would've been the best way to it, but they didn't come out until 1985.

--Patrick

TIL-there's possible UFO activity on...Unexpected road...I mean COME ON-even if its not true, that just sounds awesome given the road its supposedly on! "Unexpected road", it sounds like a fucking mystery anthology show!