TIL: Today I Learned

GasBandit

Staff member
Really? I've discovered that telling my wife that there are probably only a dozen or so people out there in the world that I might desire more than her has rather the opposite effect.

--Patrick
It's all in how you frame the data. Context is king.

It's all in how you frame the data. Context is king.
Yep. I once told my wife that she's one of the top two hundred and thirty thousand people in Taiwan in terms of her English ability. She glared at me.

I then told her that that makes her one of the top one percent, ie she's better than ninety nine percent of the Taiwanese population. She stopped glaring at me.

Yep. I once told my wife that she's one of the top two hundred and thirty thousand people in Taiwan in terms of her English ability. She glared at me.

I then told her that that makes her one of the top one percent, ie she's better than ninety nine percent of the Taiwanese population. She stopped glaring at me.
"Babe, you're english is better then my coworkers, and they get payed to do english."

GasBandit

Staff member
Today I didn't learn, so much as realize...

Everybody makes the joke about "Mario is on shrooms" but I realized ALL the power ups, through super mario 3, are drug references.

Mushrooms - Magic Mushrooms. Duh. Distort your perception of reality. "Did I just get bigger, or did the world just get smaller?"

Fire Flower - Poppy (Opium). For when Shrooms aren't enough, fire up your opium pipe.

Leaf - Mariujana. You smoke it, you feel like you're flying/floating.

Star - PCP. "Angel Dust." Makes you feel like you're invincible.

Frog - Licking psychoactive toads.

Tanooki - Mythological tanuki are often depicted carrying sake bottles. Alcohol can both make you fly AND think you are invincible.

Hammers - A "Hammer" is a kind of drug pipe with a short, slender stem and and oversized bowl.

P-block - Prescription drugs. There goes all your money. But sometimes you have to have to use it legitimately for a problem.

Goomba Shoe - I dunno man, it's laced with something... :rimshot:

GasBandit

Staff member
As for the later games, I'm not sure what the cape feather from World would be... Peyote maybe? The cat bell in 3D world is probably ecstasy. The P Balloon from World would be Whippits. The Penguin suit's gotta be cocaine.

I know fellers like that. I've known a LOT of fellers like that.
This guy is actually a friend, he had one of the most fun weddings I've ever done camera work on. His brother is a uber talented musician that just moved to Nashville to work as a session guitarist on several projects.

fade

Staff member
Yoshi, I feel like half your gray matter is filled with obscure comic and cartoon facts. You should write an almanac.

GasBandit

Staff member
TIL - OKCupid crams all the uggos together, until one gets too many clicks, then that person gets put in the pretty people pool.

fade

Staff member
WHAT? Istanbul (not Constantinople) is a cover? I didn't know that until this very moment. The TMBG version is almost identical to the original (by The Four Lads), except for the tempo.

I remember being at a convention where a filker was playing it because he'd heard so many other people singing it (after watching a Tiny Toons marathon). He remarked that it was an unusual song for everyone to be singing. I explained the TMBG version and the cartoon.
He'd never seen/heard either one.

--Patrick

WHAT? Istanbul (not Constantinople) is a cover? I didn't know that until this very moment. The TMBG version is almost identical to the original (by The Four Lads), except for the tempo.

I knew it was a cover right away. I mom used to sing it before I heard TMBG.

I saw some movie with a glee club thing that was set in the 40's, I think. They were singing Istanbul. I checked the credits for the songs expecting to see TMBG. I was surprised for sure.