Things I hate

Be glad that you don't have Menard's in your market.

"You save big money, you save big money, when you shop Menard's!" would probably be the song that would send you up the Tower.

(Sorry if that's insensitive, considering where you live, but that damn Menard's jingle is THAT bad...)

GasBandit

Staff member
It's 20 fucking 18, companies. You can maybe graduate out of e-mailing me scanned TIF images of fixed-width dot matrix fucking printouts, maybe?

GasBandit

Staff member
Them: Please provide information on items 1 thru 8.
Me: I'm not sure about item number 5, CCing my general manager for the answer.
GM: "Items 5 and 6 are not correct." - actual entire content of GM's email reply

AND?

ARE YOU GOING TO GIVE US THE CORRECT ANSWER, GENERAL MANAGER? BECAUSE YOUR E-MAIL IS KINDA WORTHLESS OTHERWISE.

The people yesterday who kept pointing out Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko were the real geniuses-NOT THE RIGHT TIME YOU FUCKING NERDS!
While they are at least in part correct, I want to say it was the book, The Secret History of Marvel Comics (it's been a while, I may be thinking of the wrong book), that a lot of Stan's business decisions and branding are the reason we have Marvel Comics at all. No one is a saint, and he probably got more credit than he deserved at times, but he did play a pivotal role in the survival of Marvel, and in my opinion, is enough to appreciate his legacy. But I do agree this isn't the time to split hairs on such things.

GasBandit

Staff member
Owner sends e-mail to me, the accountant, and two people outside our organization: "Make sure we are doing X Y and Z"

I reply, but my reply has some information maybe we don't want outside people to know, so hrmm, guess I better remove the two outsiders from the CC list for this reply.

Owner replies to all, adds the two omitted outsiders back in, simply to only email "Thank you" BUT HAS MY E-MAIL QUOTED BELOW HIS REPLY.

/headdesk
/headdesk
/headdesk

get me out of here

But didn't Stan invent the characters and then write the scripts?
Sometimes, yes.

I'm sure you probably know this already, but some recording artists can get songwriter credit for simply adding in "ahhs" and "ooohs" during the writing process, without actually writing a note of music or a full lyric. From what I understand, some people believe that Stan just added the "ahhs" and "oohs" on some characters, and because he was very good as promotion, got more credit than people like Kirby and Ditko.

Stan was the one that insisted that the artists got credit though. Because of him, you knew who was working on that book, DC fought that change for years.

some people believe that Stan just added the "ahhs" and "oohs" on some characters, and because he was very good as promotion, got more credit than people like Kirby and Ditko.
Stan Lee was to Marvel what Steve Jobs was to Apple, except that Lee didn't piss off as many people doing it as Jobs did.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Boot Barn's Christmas commercials are everything that's wrong with Christmas. They're enough to turn even the most ardent into a cynic.

Dave

Staff member
Things I hate...let's see...

The new neighbor's fucking dog, Dash. He's part hound and part barking Satan. He's actually a really good dog, but when they go to work they leave him locked in the basement. Where he barks. And barks. And barks. He's been down there barking and whining now since 7:15 am. It's 10:19 am. And he'll continue until they get home, whenever the fuck that is.

And I get it. What are they going to do with him? They can't leave him outside in the snow. He has to stay inside and the basement is the best place for a destructive bored dog. And while he might not be destructive yet, anyone knows if you leave a dog alone it will find something to do and it won't be pretty.

But the barking. Oh god the barking...

Things I hate...let's see...

The new neighbor's fucking dog, Dash. He's part hound and part barking Satan. He's actually a really good dog, but when they go to work they leave him locked in the basement. Where he barks. And barks. And barks. He's been down there barking and whining now since 7:15 am. It's 10:19 am. And he'll continue until they get home, whenever the fuck that is.

And I get it. What are they going to do with him? They can't leave him outside in the snow. He has to stay inside and the basement is the best place for a destructive bored dog. And while he might not be destructive yet, anyone knows if you leave a dog alone it will find something to do and it won't be pretty.

But the barking. Oh god the barking...
If you are going through that hell, house sit for the dog. As in bring him over.

GasBandit

Staff member
Every time I have to dub in a Beall's commercial and it starts with the insipid, artificial "It's the little things!" slogan, I feel a little more inclined to give up on civilization entirely and move to a yurt in the mountains, even if it means I inevitably starve to death in the cold, cold night.

GasBandit

Staff member
Isn't that why you're playing all those survival simulation games?
Maybe so.

For reference, here's the first second of the 15 most recent Bealls commercials I've had to process over the last few months.

IT'S THE LITTLE THINGS
IT'S THE LITTLE THINGS
OH DEAR GOD THE LITTLE THINGS ARE COMING
REPENT

Attachments

GasBandit

Staff member
Then you go visit your grandfather, and the sliding scale resets to default.
See, the problem there is that

1) I have to put up with my grandfather
2) I know it's only temporary, rather than permanent, so it's a different ballgame altogether
3) The trappings of civilization still apply so there's no real compensation for the loss of internet.

Cajungal

Staff member
I hate that Chili's revived their "Babyback" song. It was mildly annoying before, but now it's just sad and warmed over. Like that Verizon guy who switched sides. Like, I barely remember you, dude.

I hate that Chili's revived their "Babyback" song. It was mildly annoying before, but now it's just sad and warmed over. Like that Verizon guy who switched sides. Like, I barely remember you, dude.
I hate it also, because it really once was a good, catchy tune, but then the marketing folks were like, "Hey! The people love this thing! So now we're going to BEAT IT TO DEATH!"

And then they did. :(

As for the Verizon guy, he had to wait out his non-compete period before he could jump ship.
But at least he didn't go all Ray f'ing Charles.

--Patrick