Things I hate

Dave

Staff member
Snooze buttons. Seriously. My daughter and her boyfriend (who live downstairs) have turned theirs off today for going on two hours now. Every few minutes it's *beep* *beep* *beep* and then they shut it off. So now I'm listening to music real loud and will vacuum soon.

GasBandit

Staff member
Snooze buttons. Seriously. My daughter and her boyfriend (who live downstairs) have turned theirs off today for going on two hours now. Every few minutes it's *beep* *beep* *beep* and then they shut it off. So now I'm listening to music real loud and will vacuum soon.
I used to abuse the snooze button. But it's hard to press snooze on a hungry cat who will lick your face until you get up to feed him.

The idea of my child being buried in homework.

My friend has a 9 year old daughter who gets about an average of 3 hours of homework every single night. She goes to a private school that we'd like to send our daughter to possibly in a few years. I've been told the school is very homework intense.

I hate that.

Learning should be done in schools and not at home! Homework is almost always just classwork that isn't completed on time. Classwork that is dictated by bloated programs that is inefficiently done and the children are the victims of.

Small assignments are OK (less than half an hour) and only on occasion. Spending that much time on homework is simply unfair to the child, I'd rather hang out and play with my daughter and spend some quality father/daughter time. I rather NOT HELP WITH HER WITH HOMEWORK. Since when is this deemed acceptable?

I think I turn into one of "those" parents teachers will hate... but I'll be damned if the teaching isn't done in school.

My friend has a 9 year old daughter who gets about an average of 3 hours of homework every single night. She goes to a private school that we'd like to send our daughter to possibly in a few years. I've been told the school is very homework intense.

I hate that.

Learning should be done in schools and not at home! Homework is almost always just classwork that isn't completed on time. Classwork that is dictated by bloated programs that is inefficiently done and the children are the victims of.

Small assignments are OK (less than half an hour) and only on occasion. Spending that much time on homework is simply unfair to the child, I'd rather hang out and play with my daughter and spend some quality father/daughter time. I rather NOT HELP WITH HER WITH HOMEWORK. Since when is this deemed acceptable?

I think I turn into one of "those" parents teachers will hate... but I'll be damned if the teaching isn't done in school.
I totally agree. I think that kids in high school should have homework, but there is nothing that a nine year old needs to be doing for three hours every night on top of a full day of school. It's crazy.[DOUBLEPOST=1451539557,1451539459][/DOUBLEPOST]What I came in this thread to hate?

Organizing my pictures and cleaning up my hard drive....so boring and not nearly as fun as taking all the pictures that filled the hard drive.

[...]
I hate that.
You like brofists so much? Have a brofist.

I absolutely hated homework as a kid. Schoolwork was for school, home was for home time.
If you want to give me an assignment outside of school that teaches me how to use the library for research, for instance, you go right ahead. Thats a valuable life skill I will need and it is something that can't be taught in the classroom. But just piling rote arithmetic problems on me so I can say I did 50 arithmetic problems a night? That's dumb. Arithmetic (for instance) is something you either get or don't. It's not something that gets better with practice*, so I shouldn't have to rote a bunch of problems every day.

--Patrick
*Math gets better with practice. Arithmetic does not.

fade

Staff member
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. Basic arithmetic needs be learned by rote because one digit sums and differences form the basic language of mathematics, and the only way to commit it to memory for the vast majority of people is by repetition.

Basic arithmetic needs be learned by rote because one digit sums and differences form the basic language of mathematics, and the only way to commit it to memory for the vast majority of people is by repetition.
Right. You're taught it, and then you get it. 2+2=4. Later you get to things that are more advanced: 6+5=11 (Whoa! Overflow into the tens' place!). But again, once you get it, you're done. Once I understood that tens flowed into the tens' place, I didn't need to go home and do 25 problems a night from my Holt Mathematics book in order to "lock it in" or anything. I got it, what's next, let's move on. It took less than 5 minutes for me to fully grasp and integrate that concept. I didn't need to waste 30-60min of my cartoon time at home just because some other person had to have it hammered into their skull. But no, my grade suffered (and I actually failed that class) not because I didn't learn arithmetic, but solely because I didn't turn in the required number of homework problems.

--Patrick

I can understand both sides here. Now, mind, 3 hours a day for a 9 year old is crazy. But:
A) Some types of homework really aren't "unfinished school work" - even at 9 I was given assignments for writing and reading and stuff. "read this chapter of this book by day X so we can discuss it in class" is homework and can take a lot of time, but can't really be done in school - "reading" in class is quite different from reading at home, especially with interested parents who help.
B) Even "rote" homework has been shown to actually help children, not in general, but specifically those with learning disorders or disabilities, and from foreign/different language backgrounds - IF parents help. It allows parents, who are supposed to know their children better, to help their children by giving them 100% attention (which you can't really get in a classroom) and explaining in different ways - the same issue re-explained differently can be a world of difference. As for other-language-background children, there it's also proven to increase interest of parents taken in their children's school work, integration in society, and so forth. Schools where parents aren't asked to help have a much lower percentage of migration parents show up at school plays, end of year festivities, and so on.
C) It's fine that you (and I) mastered arithmetic easily and quickly; most don't. I prefer learning by understanding to learning by memorization, but for some, it's necessary. For some types of knowledge, it's also necessary. With the modern emphasis on knowing how to look things up instead of learning them by heart, you have to be careful not to overdo it - youth's dependence on phones and computers can become a liability and has been shown to produce children with less trained memory as a result. Not remembering all 51 states may not be all that important, but no matter what job you do, you're going to be expected to learn some things by heart. anyway, most schooling is aimed at the lowest, not the highest, capability children. No-one left behind and all that. In modern schools it should be possible to show you know a certain thing and then skip those exercises, though, and be given other, more advanced ones instead.
D) If it's not too much (again, 3 hours a night at 9 years old seems excessive), working together on homework can be a great bonding experience and can be a way to teach your child "work", "math", "language", whatever, can be fun. Most children pick up the general "I don't like working for school" vibe. Making them have fun, with the right type of exercise and help, is hard, but very rewarding.

fade

Staff member
My point is that some things are rote by nature. Like "math facts". There's no deeper understanding to be had here, anymore than learning the alphabet. For the vast majority of students, repetition is the way to learn this stuff.

You don't know homework pain until your spend three hours fighting your autistic son to do homework he could have done in 5 minutes if he wasn't throwing a fit about it. ;)

I try to give 10-15 minutes a night for my classes, or if there's a big assignment (an essay, for example) I give them a week with no other homework. I also give 5 minutes at the end of class to start homework and/or get help. Many of my students don't have any homework to do 80% of the time. I like to think I'm reasonable for 12-14 year olds.

But I'm just their history teacher - their math teachers go out of their way to give them 30-60 minutes of homework per night. It's actually a math department mandate.

fade

Staff member
I dislike when news anchors have no clue about things I think are common knowledge. Mostly because I don't really believe them. It sounds like they're trying to do that too cool for school thing where they pretend not to know about something.

GasBandit

Staff member
I dislike when news anchors have no clue about things I think are common knowledge. Mostly because I don't really believe them. It sounds like they're trying to do that too cool for school thing where they pretend not to know about something.

You don't know homework pain until your spend three hours fighting your autistic son to do homework he could have done in 5 minutes if he wasn't throwing a fit about it. ;)
Oh, yes you can. Dislexyia can be that thing. You spend 3 hours to learn a 12 word spelling list, work hard, over and over and over and then she goes to sleep... and nothing is retained. Nothing. Spelling was our doom. DOOM! I tell ya. Finally found someone that helped her figure out how to cope with Dyslexia, and finally 8th grade and it ALL clicks! 7 years of struggle, I don't miss those days.

But I'm just their history teacher - their math teachers go out of their way to give them 30-60 minutes of homework per night. It's actually a math department mandate.
Fuck that mandate and whoever supports it. You do that shit in class.

I totally agree. I think that kids in high school should have homework, but there is nothing that a nine year old needs to be doing for three hours every night on top of a full day of school. It's crazy.[DOUBLEPOST=1451539557,1451539459][/DOUBLEPOST]What I came in this thread to hate?

Organizing my pictures and cleaning up my hard drive....so boring and not nearly as fun as taking all the pictures that filled the hard drive.
Do you have a quick and reliant method or software to deal with duplicates?

I think we have 20 gigs of family photos that are hogging up space on the computer and external HD. My wife likes to use picasa to make edits and doesn't have very good habits for organization. So, there are multiples of multiples.

Lightroom is used by a lot of my photo club. It won't import duplicates.

I prefer photoshop for most things so I have to go through and clean out my files often. I just freed up 142 GB :D