Things I hate

Being referred to as a girl (e.g: gamer girl, a jeans and tee kind of girl, "Things a Girl Wants" when discussing adult relationships, etc.). I am well over the age of 18. Plus I don't like the implication that I shouldn't be taken seriously. It's not cute. It's not funny. It's demeaning.

Being referred to as a girl (e.g: gamer girl, a jeans and tee kind of girl, "Things a Girl Wants" when discussing adult relationships, etc.). I am well over the age of 18. Plus I don't like the implication that I shouldn't be taken seriously. It's not cute. It's not funny. It's demeaning.
You go gi- err, nevermind.

(don't hurt me)

Unfortunately, the group gets its reputation based on its most extreme members, much like "Americans," or "Islamists."
2ec.gif

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Four day weekends. Last week was horrific getting ready for the weekend, then the weekend is long enough to get you used to the idea of not going into work any more, and then MONDAY rips that band-aid RIGHT OFF.

Unfortunately, the group gets its reputation based on its most extreme members, much like "Americans," or "Islamists."
View attachment 19776

--Patrick
Regardless of behavior, it does not make that person in the gif a "girl". My daughter is a girl because she's 6 years old.
Squidleybits is not a "girl" for liking adorable stuffed bears. Emrys is not a "girl" because she squees enthusiastically over kittensnakes. I'm not a "girl" because I have princess stickers on my laptop and get silly crushes on fictional characters (Jamie Fraser, Glenn Rhee, Han Solo, Urahara Kisuke...). We are all above the age of 18. I think we earned the right to like what we like and express that however we wish without it meaning that we're children.

Regardless of behavior, it does not make that person in the gif a "girl". My daughter is a girl because she's 6 years old.
Squidleybits is not a "girl" for liking adorable stuffed bears. Emrys is not a "girl" because she squees enthusiastically over kittensnakes. I'm not a "girl" because I have princess stickers on my laptop and get silly crushes on fictional characters (Jamie Fraser, Glenn Rhee, Han Solo, Urahara Kisuke...). We are all above the age of 18. I think we earned the right to like what we like and express that however we wish without it meaning that we're children.
No, no...you misunderstand. The label gets applied because people like the one in the .GIF decide (in their enthusiasm) to call themselves "gamer girls," and so the label gets applied broadly (by others who see them calling themselves this) as a convenient way to describe ♀+Gamez.

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
No, no...you misunderstand. The label gets applied because people like the one in the .GIF decide (in their enthusiasm) to call themselves "gamer girls," and so the label gets applied broadly as a convenient way to describe ♀+Gamez.

--Patrick
Pat, you can't win this one. This is a berzerk button issue for Wasabi - it doesn't matter that "girl" is colloquially used to reference a female of any age, as often is "boy" ("I'm just a simple country boy" said grandpa, etc), it makes the societal connection that youth is directly linked to value/desirability but simultaneously implying inexperience as implicit in the exchange. Plus there's the whole "just a girl" thing that implies weakness and needing to be shepherded through a dangerous, complicated world and whatnot.

Point is, this is not an issue that can be reasoned. It's a non-starter. Even tangentially related topics take AoE damage and are good as gone.

No, no...you misunderstand. The label gets applied because people like the one in the .GIF decide (in their enthusiasm) to call themselves "gamer girls," and so the label gets applied broadly as a convenient way to describe ♀+Gamez.

--Patrick
I think it also has to do with "man" and "woman" sounding too formal. I only use those when purposefully emphasizing the adultness of a person. "S/He's a grown woman/man," etc. If referring to myself, I'd use the more informal "guy," whereas the female variant of that, "gal," sounds antiquated, like it's out of the 50's. So then "girl" becomes the default, for lack of a better term. Combine this with uses such as the "girl power" movement, etc, and it becomes the new standard lexicon.

Though, I certainly won't use it to describe Wasabi, now that I know how much she dislikes it.

You could always use broad, chick, babe, wench. There are other non-formal ways.

I don't recommend any of them if you want to continue breathing.

GasBandit

Staff member
I generally use "woman" but somehow I usually still tick whoever it is off. Probably because I address them specifically with the word instead of their name. :p

No, no...you misunderstand. The label gets applied because people like the one in the .GIF decide (in their enthusiasm) to call themselves "gamer girls," and so the label gets applied broadly (by others who see them calling themselves this) as a convenient way to describe ♀+Gamez.

--Patrick
O I C

I don't care if people want to call themselves a girl. The generalization, and use of the term, by larger society is what makes me want to shoot fire out of my eyeballs.

But Gas is right. This is a hot button issue for me. I see "fashions for bigger girls" or "girls who wear glasses" to describe something that is for/about adults and it's like nails on a chalkboard.

You could always use broad, chick, babe, wench. There are other non-formal ways.

I don't recommend any of them if you want to continue breathing.
Oddly enough I don't mind "chick".

This is a berzerk button issue for Wasabi - it doesn't matter that "girl" is colloquially used to reference a female of any age, as often is "boy" ("I'm just a simple country boy" said grandpa, etc)
That's not what I was speaking to.
O I C
I don't care if people want to call themselves a girl. The generalization, and use of the term, by larger society is what makes me want to shoot fire out of my eyeballs.
...but fortunately WP got what I meant. I suppose it's the same thing as when a white guy uses the N-word ("Hey that's our word, you aren't allowed use it like that").
Also, until now, I didn't know this was a hot-button thing with WP. I can appreciate the desire for real and honest accuracy (calling cassia "cinnamon," using "literally" to mean "figuratively," etc), but I will say that improper use of this particular pronoun does not bother me anywhere near as much as it bothers WP.
Yo, GasBandit, make me a sammich!
ferret-wish-130107b-bg.jpg

--Patrick

The fact that my favorite fan-comic NC as a child NC comix is now CRAMMED with Poker ads and pop-ups! It was bad enough knowing these couldn't get published, it was bad enough knowing it wouldn't update anymore, but they fucking made a non-corporate fan sit....COMMERCIAL! DEATH! DEATH TO THEM I SAY!