[Contest] The Worst Weather

It was raining all weekend. Never stopped. Today it's supposed to be raining, and in the 50's (F) all week.

WHY IS IT SNOWING RIGHT NOW?!? HOW HAVE WE OFFENDED THEE, ULLR??? WHYYYYYYYYYYY?????:Leyla:

Friday after work, 81 degrees, light rain, heavy rain, pea sized hail, quarter sized hail, 70ish mph winds, 61 degrees, sunny skies, in about 45 minutes.

Left for vacation in florida hoping to return to better weather. Came back to a snow storm that made the normally two hour drive home from the airport into a 4.5 hour drive. April my ass.

Thanks for all the postcards! I'll try to stop my complaining now, but we did get some more snow again today, and will probably get more this week. It won't amount to much, but it's still a bummer.

Dave

Staff member
80's Saturday. 2 inches of snow last night. 24 tonight. 60 tomorrow. 50 Wednesday. Snow Thursday.

I blame you, Punxsutawney Phil, you weather cursing rat.

Look, guys, it's 22°C here. I 'm coming over there for my summer vacation - in less than a month. Get your asses in gear and get it right by the time I fly over, okay? Last time I was in the USA, it was Florida and I had snow. Now I'm going to the North-East in the summer. Again, I do not expect, nor will I tolerate, snow.
In other words, if it's still snowing, all of your houses will be covered in owl shit.

....which you won't notice, what with the white-on-white motif, but still.

I 'm coming over there for my summer vacation - in less than a month. *snipped* Now I'm going to the North-East in the summer.
April 15 + 1 Month = May 15th = NOT SUMMER BY ANY DEFINITION. By Solar definitions, Summer starts on June 20th or 21st (in the North). And in many places, it doesn't get "really warm" until July-ish.

Methinks you picked the wrong month for "summer" vacation.

April 15 + 1 Month = May 15th = NOT SUMMER BY ANY DEFINITION. By Solar definitions, Summer starts on June 20th or 21st (in the North). And in many places, it doesn't get "really warm" until July-ish.

Methinks you picked the wrong month for "summer" vacation.
have you seen the price difference in flights and hotels between end of May and late June? Worth tilting the axis just a teeny bit more and speed up the seasons. Besides, everybody claimed it was the perfect time to visit DC and NY because it's "way too hot" June onwards. Bunch of liars.

(also, Summer vacation in Belgium -> difficult to impossible to take 2 weeks of leave if you don't have children)

Its snowing right now , and it fucking sucks because I had to bring in all the deck plants I put outside! Lets also not forget all the plants I planted in dirt outside that might DIE because of this weather that is said to turn to 30 degrees later this week. GLORIOUS!

Eh. Biggest avg carbon footprint and all that jazz are still the Americans. If they still don't want to do something about global weather destabilization after this winter, they just want to die slowly :p
We try to do our best (even if it's far from enough), so we get a nice soft winter with a full 3 days of frost this year.

...The Chinese? I dunno. All cities in a permanent haze and clouds of yellow, I guess someone wants you to mellow out?

Dave

Staff member
Eh. Biggest avg carbon footprint and all that jazz are still the Americans. If they still don't want to do something about global weather destabilization after this winter, they just want to die slowly :p
We try to do our best (even if it's far from enough), so we get a nice soft winter with a full 3 days of frost this year.

...The Chinese? I dunno. All cities in a permanent haze and clouds of yellow, I guess someone wants you to mellow out?
Nope.

emissions.png

It should be said that we're mostly the causers of our own problems. That smog is coming from factories that are making our stuff so we can buy it at a price that is palatable to our wallets.

Sorry I couldn't find a better resolution.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2011/02/10/CarbonWeb.pdf[DOUBLEPOST=1397655246,1397655101][/DOUBLEPOST]In 2007 you'd have been right.

http://www.elrst.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/theguardian_carbonatlas.jpg
I said average footprint - per person. The USA is still far, far ahead of China or any other country in that one ;-) Remember: there's about 1.2 Billion Chinese and some 350-odd Million US citizens.

Its thundersnowing in the east metro right now... >_>
I said average footprint - per person. The USA is still far, far ahead of China or any other country in that one ;-) Remember: there's about 1.2 Billion Chinese and some 350-odd Million US citizens.
yes, ever since we started considering Corporations people its really put a dent in our per person carbon footprint. you know since the average residential output in this country was somewhere in the 1/5th range of industrial output before.

Its thundersnowing in the east metro right now... >_>

yes, ever since we started considering Corporations people its really put a dent in our per person carbon footprint. you know since the average residential output in this country was somewhere in the 1/5th range of industrial output before.
*sigh* I was joking. Forget it. Industrial output is about 3/5th of our output as well (with about 1/5th coming from agriculture and 1/5th from residential). That's not the point. A) I was joking B) if "the American people" wanted to change things and were concerned about climate change, American politics could and would legislate for it. This doesn't happen, ergo, it's not something America, as a whole, feels concerned enough about to actually change anythign. It's been that way since the '90s, it hasn't changed yet. America doesn't have more "heavy" industry per person than any other country, doesn't have "bigger and more widespread climate problems" or "longer distances" than any other country, or whatever else I've heard as ridiculous reasons not to want to do anything about carbon footprint (I do, however, think carbon footprint is a disastrously bad way of comparing or calculating pollution - a diesel car produces less CO2 but more other pollutants than gasoline, for example).

Either you say "we, as a people, want to be good for the environment, but Evil MegaCorps don't, and they control congress", in which case GasBandit is right and you guys need to revolt. Or, "we, as a people, feel this is important, but not actually important enough to base our voting on it", which is fine, but does mean that yes, you guys are polluters. I don't intrinsically have a problem with that. The USA likes to be policeman of the world, perhaps Europe can be the garbage man :p. Or C, "we think this is important, but not something that should be put into legislation, because Freedom" in which case you're an idiot - pollution, like minimum wages, health insurance, slavery, and a number of similar things, aren't things a regular person can have much impact on - but they are things that need to be there (or not) for the general good, because otherwise it will lead to the rich and powerful pushing down the weak and poor. A corporation has no reason to be more green than the competition - their CEO will never have to wear a mask or have a problem paying for clean water.

you should probably realize I too was making jest of the problem Bubbles. I am an Environmental Scientist, there is no need to hem and haw at me about how we fail as a people to control our pollution problems. I agree with every point made. There is talk here in my state about what to do with a budget surplus, I feel like anything used for social and physical infrastructure can never hurt us as a state. Others feel otherwise to varying degrees.