[Contest] The Worst Weather

Supposed to get around 6 inches tomorrow. Don't even care anymore. At least it's not -20.
The twin cities is now getting 1-3 inches, im on the saint croix and all the stuff is still miles north of us. I hope it stays up there or we stay warm.

The twin cities is now getting 1-3 inches, im on the saint croix and all the stuff is still miles north of us. I hope it stays up there or we stay warm.
It's actually tracking south of me now, so we'll probably only end up with 3 inches. I'll take it.[DOUBLEPOST=1395150482,1395150421][/DOUBLEPOST]
The February bill came.

It is almost $1100.

I...I just don't know any more.

--Patrick
I think either new windows or some window plastic would be a good investment for next year. That is nuts.

That is nuts.
I've never had to pay more than about $250 for gas in Winter. This is a big change, and I wasn't expecting it at all.
I checked usage, it's not that far off last year's totals. It's my first year living in this house, so I'm not sure where it's all going. Also, it kinda makes me apprehensive about next year.

--Patrick

I've never had to pay more than about $250 for gas in Winter. This is a big change, and I wasn't expecting it at all.
I checked usage, it's not that far off last year's totals. It's my first year living in this house, so I'm not sure where it's all going. Also, it kinda makes me apprehensive about next year.

--Patrick
My first guess would be the windows. On a cold windy day you might want to go around to all the windows, doors, and outlets and feel for cold air coming in. That is definitely more than you should be paying.
Window plastic, socket insulation, door insulation, and some spray foam would probably do wonders for your bill.

It's actually tracking south of me now, so we'll probably only end up with 3 inches. I'll take it.
Tracking north of me, we are likely to get nothing until this evening when the back end catches up. even then only a couple inches of slop.

edit: wait does that mean its killing whoever is right between shakey and me?

My guess is they were talking about Wisconsin[DOUBLEPOST=1395241918,1395241591][/DOUBLEPOST]It's kind of weird. I always think Duluth/Superior is farther north than me, but I'm actually about the same.

My guess is they were talking about Wisconsin[DOUBLEPOST=1395241918,1395241591][/DOUBLEPOST]It's kind of weird. I always think Duluth/Superior is farther north than me, but I'm actually about the same.
I shall rain doomweasel madness upon them for their presumption! Tremble in despair! Mwahahahahaha!

<ahem> I feel better now.

Yes, it amazed me because I thought Bowielee was east and south of me, not north of me.

There ain't a whole lot north of me in Wisconsin, lemme tellya.

Here's something of a mind-screw for the fellow western Canadians out there. We're moving to Port aux Basques, NL, which is on the south-western tip of the island of Newfoundland. And the town is SOUTH of every single western province. Even south of Victoria, BC, and they "dip down" a bit. Look it up on Google Maps, or even the wikipedia entry for the town. So it's more south, and yet the ocean near there freezes, which freaked my wife the heck out, since it never did that in Victoria. And yet is is more south than anywhere in Western Canada. And it'll be colder than where we are in Kelowna.

Fascinating what different ocean currents do for weather, isn't it?

Fascinating what different ocean currents do for weather, isn't it?
When I was in Sitka, Alaska I was talking to our tour guide about how nice the weather was, and mentioned how cold it was back home, he couldn't believe people would live in a place like that. I think if I were to move to Alaska that would be the town I'd want to live in.

The Pacific Coast of the Northwest US and Canada is not as bad as everyone would believe it to be. The Pacific tends to regulate air temperatures, so coastal cities can be tolerable during the winter. This was actually an issue for Vancouver in the 2010 Olympics, akin to what happened in Sochi this year.

The problem is, though, that if you get inland, that wet climate can do the snow belt thing on you - and dump TONS of wet white stuff on everything.

Patrick: part of your problem is likely supply issues which jacked up the cost of fuel this winter.
Yeah, that's what I and the Father-in-law discussed. He (seems to have) originally went with a third party supplier who (apparently) convinced him that their ability to buy their gas (and set their prices) according to the open market would mean lower prices for him rather than the mandated rates charged by the municipal utility. And I'm sure this was a sound decision...so long as, y'know, nothing happened to drive the price of natural gas up through the roof or anything. A quick back-of-the-napkin calculation says I am (still) paying just over $0.86/CCF for the house I am currently emptying, whereas the bill here is just over $2.02/CCF, which is a significant difference, one I don't think can entirely be chalked up to regional differences.

He and I, we may have something to discuss.

EDIT: According to the State of MI website, the "official" utility for our city really is the company who sends our bill, so it's not a third party. Aaaaand their website is down, error 500. Grrr...

--Patrick

Last edited:
Thank you for the post card from Hawaii. Got it yesterday, today it was 60 degrees. I choose to believe the incidents are related.

The forecast for today for this past week: 57 degrees, rainy.

What we got: 30 degrees, heavy rain, then sleet, then heavy snow, then light rain.