[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

A Silent Voice (movie) - A deaf girl is mercilessly harassed and bullied by students in a 6th grade class. She is forced to switch schools. The biggest bully gets a taste of his own medicine and is ostracized all through middle and into high school. In their last year of high school, he wants to make things right and starts searching for her.

It was a good coming-of-age, slice-of-life story. The animation was really nicely done with some beautiful scenery. The opening song was "My Generation" by The Who! I like how the story addressed some high schooler issues like being responsible for your actions and moving on from things/people that aren't healthy. Mental health was touched on, but not explored in depth at all (which I think is a cultural thing rather than a mistake in storytelling). However - Where are the fathers in this story? No one says and you only see the female family members of the two main characters. That was irritating for me. I'd give it a solid 3 out of 5.

Re: fathers I'm guessing it's the standard Japanese salaryman stereotype where they work all day and then drink all night with their bosses/co-workers.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hope the animation is less shit this season.
There was some laughable CGI in S3, yeah. Not Berserk bad, but you can tell they rushed S3 out SUPER early to capitalize off the buzz from S2. Here's hoping they clean it up for the blu-ray release.

There was some laughable CGI in S3, yeah. Not Berserk bad, but you can tell they rushed S3 out SUPER early to capitalize off the buzz from S2. Here's hoping they clean it up for the blu-ray release.
Season 3 is already on disc, its still janky, sorry. :(

started re:zero, show is what if we mixed horror with issekai, watching the poor mc subaru die over and over in gruesome ways is horrifying.

GasBandit

Staff member
Koyomimonogatari

1565540949029.png

Genre: Supernatural, Drama, Romance, Action, Harem, Comedy
Fanservice: Almost at least once per episode, sometimes kinda squicky - after all, one of the episodes takes place during the problematic sis-con Nisemonogatari arc
Premise: Sort of a "breather" season arc, turning the expectations that the series has ingrained in the viewer on its head. Koyomi the vampire-victim-turned-supernatural-investigator appears in a dozen 12-minute short episodes that range from the beginning of the series to the end, highlighting short little side excursions where mysterious and seemingly supernatural events turn out to have mundane and perfectly ordinary explanations, subverting the established pattern that every event in the series is caused by a supernatural creature. Sometimes people just do odd things and there's nothing malevolent behind it, or sometimes you just misunderstand what you see.

Ordinarily one might think this means this series arc could be skipped, but the last two episodes throw in a gigantic twist that make the whole thing suddenly a lot less irrelevant.

Oh, and of course, there's still plenty of ridiculous flashing blink-and-you'll-miss-it text and signature head-tilting.

3/5.

GasBandit

Staff member
I know I usually post Eurobeat anime remixes... but here, just to be different for once... is a Synthwave anime theme remix. Of Giorno's theme from JoJo 5.

If you dig it, check out the dude's channel... he's done this for a lot of em, like Sailor Moon and Cowboy Bebop.

GasBandit

Staff member
In case you're behind and want to catch up fast, here's 1(ish) second from every episode of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure so far.

Canon Busters

Pretty good so far in terms of animation in action, but in terms of story its not doing anything really unique as far as Shonen shows go. Mysterious outlaw with a supernatural ability, drunken master, super powered robot, cutesy mascot looking character, transforming robo-car, all going on some quest in the same dessert/post-apocalyptic setting you see in half of all shonen shows, kinda by the numbers. Half expecting Kenshiro or Vash the Stampede to show up.

Canon Busters

Pretty good so far in terms of animation in action, but in terms of story its not doing anything really unique as far as Shonen shows go. Mysterious outlaw with a supernatural ability, drunken master, super powered robot, cutesy mascot looking character, transforming robo-car, all going on some quest in the same dessert/post-apocalyptic setting you see in half of all shonen shows, kinda by the numbers. Half expecting Kenshiro or Vash the Stampede to show up.
Late reply but... I know at one point, the three guys from BeBop show up as drunk guys. As for the show itself... I like this show, but it's about basically nothing. If it gets another season, it needs tighter scripting or it needs to play up the parody angle more.

GasBandit

Staff member
Owarimonogatari season 2 (AKA the final season of the Monogatari series)

1567292959306.png

Genre: Supernatural, Drama, Romance, Action, Harem, Comedy
Fanservice: Not actually all that much, especially for a monogatari series
Premise: The final 7 episodes that wrap up the story of Koyomi Araragi's adolescent career in fighting and/or saving supernatural aberrations. Ougi Oshino's true identity is revealed, choices are made, lines are crossed, and conclusions are reached.

Well, that was a thing. It wasn't as good as -monogatari at its best, but it definitely was better than it was at its worst. It wraps up all the loose ends and ties it all up in a bow. That alone makes me like it - I like stories that have a conclusion, instead of just going on until they get cancelled without a proper ending.

That said, there was so much name dropping and call backs that I couldn't keep track of them all. After all, I started watching this series years ago and it's been months and months since I was able to watch the previous season (koyomimonogatari doesn't count), so I got lost in some of the explanations. And boy oh boy, is there a lot of explaining going on. Several episodes are just people standing around talking, endless exposition. With copious head-tilting, of course. It kind of made those parts drag, but I'm still gratified I made it all the way through to the end.

Verdict: 3/5, both for the final season and the series as a whole.

GasBandit

Staff member
Zoku Owarimonogatari

1567302683249.png

Genre: Supernatural, Drama, Romance, Mystery
Fanservice: A lot. Barely covered nudity galore.
Premise: Did I say Owarimonogatari 2 was the last one? Silly me, I forgot there was a movie after that: Zoku Owarimonogatari. The day after graduating, Koyomi is looking in the bathroom mirror, reflecting on how he doesn't really know how to define himself anymore, and notices something odd - his reflection isn't moving. Reaching out to touch the mirror, he is suddenly dragged into a mirror world where everyone is reversed - not their image, but their selves. Like, a "Mirror, Mirror" type situation. It's a real quandary - how does he get back to his own world?

All in all, it's just a little bit more "monogatari" for people who weren't ready for it to be over, I guess. It's not like there were any loose threads left to tie up or anything, but it was kind of an interesting watch. I particularly enjoyed how near the end -
... where they almost make you believe it was all a dream. Psych, nah, the entire LAST YEAR, the ENTIRE SERIES was all just one big dream! Whaaaaaaat? Wait, no, Psych again. That double flip flop twist made me chuckle.

Anyway, you don't have to watch it to get the "complete" experience, but if you like the Monogatari series, it's worth watching.

3/5.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, and Arifureta was pretty good for the first 5 episodes... but episode 6 just jumped the shark, I fear. This stupid bunnygirl character that just got shoehorned in is this series' scrappy doo, looks like.

I started out watching so much summer anime, but the only one I stuck with (that wasn't spanning across multiple seasons, since I'm still watching Fruits Basket and Black Clover) was Doctor Stone. My daughter has also been watching Given, but that is not surprising to me.

GasBandit

Staff member
I started out watching so much summer anime, but the only one I stuck with (that wasn't spanning across multiple seasons, since I'm still watching Fruits Basket and Black Clover) was Doctor Stone. My daughter has also been watching Given, but that is not surprising to me.
I'm liking Dr. Stone, but that's no surprise since I have been reading the manga for a long time.

I'm also watching:
Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon season 2 (Which is ok)
Vinland Saga (which is fucking great)
Hensuki (which is trash but I love it)
Cop Craft (which is also great)
How Heavy Are The Dumbbells That You Lift? (Which is surprisingly good)
Demon Lord, Retry! (Which is garbage but I can't stop watching it... seriously, the voice acting is on par with early 2000s hentai quality)
O Maidens in Your Savage Season (which is good but trashy, like Domestic Girlfriend)
Fire Force (which is good but really shonen)
Isekai Cheat Magician (which is mediocre but apparently I'll watch almost anything isekai)
And finally "Do you love your mother and her two-hit multitarget attacks?" because MILF-SE-KAI. MILF-SE-KAI. MILF-SE-KAI! MILF-SE-KAI!!!

Ironically, I don't have the patience to watch a lot of anime lately for some reason, but since I found out you can watch all of Utena on YouTube for free I've been binging that. I have apparently forgotten almost everything about it except the basic concept and naked cars in the third arc.

fade

Staff member
Neon Genesis Evangelion / The End of Evangelion

Want a show about teenagers piloting giant robots to fight aliens? Too bad, you get one about the ravages of depression, with a side helping of parental issues, relationship problems, sexuality confusion, and anger management problems. I'm not afraid to admit I cried a little at the end of The End of Evangelion. I hope the author found help.

Neon Genesis Evangelion / The End of Evangelion

Want a show about teenagers piloting giant robots to fight aliens? Too bad, you get one about the ravages of depression, with a side helping of parental issues, relationship problems, sexuality confusion, and anger management problems. I'm not afraid to admit I cried a little at the end of The End of Evangelion. I hope the author found help.
You have clearly not watched enough Gainax.

Got tickets for Rascal Does not Dream of a Dreaming Girl. Mostly for my husband's sake because he's still obsessing over this show.