[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

Reactions
586 277 0
A Silent Voice (movie) - A deaf girl is mercilessly harassed and bullied by students in a 6th grade class. She is forced to switch schools. The biggest bully gets a taste of his own medicine and is ostracized all through middle and into high school. In their last year of high school, he wants to make things right and starts searching for her.

It was a good coming-of-age, slice-of-life story. The animation was really nicely done with some beautiful scenery. The opening song was "My Generation" by The Who! I like how the story addressed some high schooler issues like being responsible for your actions and moving on from things/people that aren't healthy. Mental health was touched on, but not explored in depth at all (which I think is a cultural thing rather than a mistake in storytelling). However - Where are the fathers in this story? No one says and you only see the female family members of the two main characters. That was irritating for me. I'd give it a solid 3 out of 5.

Reactions
371 79 0
Re: fathers I'm guessing it's the standard Japanese salaryman stereotype where they work all day and then drink all night with their bosses/co-workers.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
7,031 1,482 27
Hope the animation is less shit this season.
There was some laughable CGI in S3, yeah. Not Berserk bad, but you can tell they rushed S3 out SUPER early to capitalize off the buzz from S2. Here's hoping they clean it up for the blu-ray release.

Reactions
257 133 2
There was some laughable CGI in S3, yeah. Not Berserk bad, but you can tell they rushed S3 out SUPER early to capitalize off the buzz from S2. Here's hoping they clean it up for the blu-ray release.
Season 3 is already on disc, its still janky, sorry. :(

Reactions
257 133 2
started re:zero, show is what if we mixed horror with issekai, watching the poor mc subaru die over and over in gruesome ways is horrifying.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
7,031 1,482 27
Koyomimonogatari

1565540949029.png

Genre: Supernatural, Drama, Romance, Action, Harem, Comedy
Fanservice: Almost at least once per episode, sometimes kinda squicky - after all, one of the episodes takes place during the problematic sis-con Nisemonogatari arc
Premise: Sort of a "breather" season arc, turning the expectations that the series has ingrained in the viewer on its head. Koyomi the vampire-victim-turned-supernatural-investigator appears in a dozen 12-minute short episodes that range from the beginning of the series to the end, highlighting short little side excursions where mysterious and seemingly supernatural events turn out to have mundane and perfectly ordinary explanations, subverting the established pattern that every event in the series is caused by a supernatural creature. Sometimes people just do odd things and there's nothing malevolent behind it, or sometimes you just misunderstand what you see.

Ordinarily one might think this means this series arc could be skipped, but the last two episodes throw in a gigantic twist that make the whole thing suddenly a lot less irrelevant.

Oh, and of course, there's still plenty of ridiculous flashing blink-and-you'll-miss-it text and signature head-tilting.

3/5.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
7,031 1,482 27
I know I usually post Eurobeat anime remixes... but here, just to be different for once... is a Synthwave anime theme remix. Of Giorno's theme from JoJo 5.

If you dig it, check out the dude's channel... he's done this for a lot of em, like Sailor Moon and Cowboy Bebop.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
7,031 1,482 27
In case you're behind and want to catch up fast, here's 1(ish) second from every episode of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure so far.

Reactions
262 92 0
Canon Busters

Pretty good so far in terms of animation in action, but in terms of story its not doing anything really unique as far as Shonen shows go. Mysterious outlaw with a supernatural ability, drunken master, super powered robot, cutesy mascot looking character, transforming robo-car, all going on some quest in the same dessert/post-apocalyptic setting you see in half of all shonen shows, kinda by the numbers. Half expecting Kenshiro or Vash the Stampede to show up.