[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

Japan's typically tone-deaf attitudes toward the politics of WW2, which naturally might be rooted in being on the "wrong side" of that conflict, show through clearly in this series. Furthermore, it only takes a few episodes before the anachronisms (that could be waved away by it being a parallel world) heap up, and the "WW1" settings starts becoming rife with WWII imagery, technology, and metaphors.
This is fault of the conservative government, entirely. They still refuse to teach their children about the war atrocities Japan committed (Rape of Nanking, treatment of war prisoners, Unit 731, etc.) or the Holocaust and Abe's government has been leaning on the Emperor and his family to support their desire to re-write the constitution so they can have a standing army again (basically because Japanese Conservatives idolize the Samurai-inspired Imperial Army). It's clear that Abe wants to engage in the same sort of adventurism that China is currently involved in, basically to restore Japan's image as a super power.

As such, a lot of up and coming Japanese authors kind of... don't understand the big deal about Nazi Germany. And it's really not their fault; aside from that period in history, Germany (mostly Prussia) and Japan have always had a very tight-knit, positive relationship and that stuff IS taught in schools. Hell, Japan's Diet is based on the German Bundestag.

This has been an ongoing problem and is sort of why I've stopped enjoying Attack on Titan... the author seems to be going full on fasc and seems to believe this is a good thing.

Re:Creators has no right being this good. This concept could be played so doofy, but they're taking it seriously and I've been impressed every episode so far.

My daughter has been reading the Attack on Titan manga, but I have not. So she has been quite gleeful at the reactions I've been having to the anime the last few weeks. (Holy shit son)

I've been watching Bungo Stray Dogs from Season 1 to the current episode in Season 3. I love seeing all of the characters names after authors and their abilities. It's a pretty good series that has gotten better in the more recent episodes.

It's official. Issei has married... Koneko.

Kaji Yuuki (Issei) has married Taketatsu Ayana (Koneko). Congrats to the happy couple.

My daughter has been reading the Attack on Titan manga, but I have not. So she has been quite gleeful at the reactions I've been having to the anime the last few weeks. (Holy shit son)
WHAT THE FUCK ATTACK ON TITAN

Speaking of, I don't really see how you say it calls fascism a good thing, I'm getting the opposite impression.
I can't even go into it without basically revealing the end game of the series. It's just too big of a spoiler. Regardless, it sort of veers into "Maybe Hitler was right" and "Maybe Imperial Japan was right" territory right now and future revelations would have to require an entire about face for me to consider going back to it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Isekai Quartet
1561505503843.png

Genre: Isekai, Crossover Mash-up, Comedy, High School, Supernatural
Fanservice: None whatsoever
Synopsis: The cast of four Kadokawa shows all get mysteriously transported to a fake copy of modern day Japan, and are forced by parties unknown to attend high school together.

The four shows in question are Overlord, Konosuba, Re:Zero, and Tanya the Evil.

While not strictly necessary to have seen all four shows, the more you've seen, the more inside jokes you'll get and generally the more enjoyment you'll get out of the series. It'd be best if you'd seen at least two of them though (probably Overlord and Re:Zero, though Konosuba is absolute gold and you definitely should see it anyway) because some of the plot points of the show are rooted in mechanics that come from the other serieses.

It's a little disappointing that each episode is only 12 minutes long (including opening and closing credits) and that there's only 12 episodes, but the final episode did confirm there was a second season coming. I give it 3/5, with a margin of error of +/- 1 that depends on how much you like the 4 sources of the crossover.

Spoiler for the ending twist:
Wild mass guessing from the Crunchyroll users are predicting No Game No Life, Shield Hero, Death March, or (unlikely but) possibly Reincarnated as a Slime or Wise Man's Grandchild to be the "transfer students" that are incoming.

Last edited:
Isekai Quartet
View attachment 31733

Synopsis: The cast of four Kadokawa shows all get mysteriously transported to a fake copy of modern day Japan, and are forced by parties unknown to attend high school together.

While not strictly necessary to have seen all four shows, the more you've seen, the more inside jokes you'll get and generally the more enjoyment you'll get out of the series. It'd be best if you'd seen at least two of them though (probably Overlord and Re:Zero, though Konosuba is absolute gold and you definitely should see it anyway) because some of the plot points of the show are rooted in mechanics that come from the other serieses.

It's a little disappointing that each episode is only 12 minutes long (including opening and closing credits) and that there's only 12 episodes, but the final episode did confirm there was a second season coming.

Wild mass guessing from the Crunchyroll users are predicting No Game No Life, Shield Hero, Death March, or (unlikely but) possibly Reincarnated as a Slime or Wise Man's Grandchild to be the "transfer students" that are incoming.
I did get around to watching Re:Zero, need to get cracking on Konosuba now.

Isekai Quartet
View attachment 31733

It's a little disappointing that each episode is only 12 minutes long (including opening and closing credits) and that there's only 12 episodes, but the final episode did confirm there was a second season coming.

They just announced season 2. I gave up after episode 2.
Ainz: What if we refuse to go along?
Teacher: You can't
Ainz: Why not?
Teacher: Because that would be against the rulesssssss.
And they just let it drop from there. :facepalm:

GasBandit

Staff member
They just announced season 2. I gave up after episode 2.
Ainz: What if we refuse to go along?
Teacher: You can't
Ainz: Why not?
Teacher: Because that would be against the rulesssssss.
And they just let it drop from there. :facepalm:
You gotta read between the lines, man. It's like that line in Sphere. "I am Jerry. I am happy." "What happens if Jerry gets mad...?"

GasBandit

Staff member
The Rising of the Shield Hero

1561590522941.png

Genre: Isekai, Fantasy, Drama, Comedy, Romance
Fanservice: Occasional/Hot Springs Episode
Synopsis: Japanese dude gets sucked into a medieval fantasy world. He, along with three other Japanese dudes from other alternate Japans, are tasked with defending this world from periodic invasions of waves of monsters. Standard isekai stuff, with a twist - almost immediately, Naofumi is spuriously accused of sexual assault, and his protestations of innocence fall upon ears deafened by assumption and conspiracy. Cast aside and disgraced, the story of the "Shield Hero" becomes an anti-hero's journey, in which not only must he save the world and look out for the little guy, but also clear his name and exact retribution upon those who engineered his downfall.

Look, if you haven't seen the veritable inundation of memes and internet chatter about this series over the last 6 months, I don't know what to tell you. This was pretty much the Anime of the Season for 2 seasons straight. To be honest it starts strong but then kinda starts to get watered down as the series goes on, but it's got 25 episodes in the first season, the pacing is good, the characters are engaging, and there hasn't been an anime antagonist this despised since... oh, I don't know, Shou Tucker.

There's a lot of anime I like that I don't keep my own personal copy of, but this one, I am keeping. So, it's up there. I'd give this a 4/5, and say that if you don't watch this, do you even anime, brah?

GasBandit

Staff member
One Punch Man, Season 2

1562199317816.png

Genre: Superhero, Satire, Action
Fanservice: Some sexy monsters
Premise: Season 2 of a series I damn sure you know already.

Well, here's the long and short of it. It's fine. It's OK. It's not great, and it's certainly not the spectacular, jaw-dropping tour-de-force that season 1 was. Different studio, different artists, lower quality animation, pacing problems, dangling plot threads... if this were any other series, you'd probably hear me saying positive things. But as a follow up to probably one of the best anime seasons ever in history, this is kind of a let down. It feels padded as much as DBZ used to be, the arc never feels all that resolved, and new characters are introduced and then forgotten (like Fubuki).

I mean, if you want to know how the story goes, it's worth watching... but this is no longer a series you can show a normie friend to illustrate the medium at its peak. It's just... slightly better than average now, I guess. And honestly, the season arc feels unresolved, so it might be worth putting off to watch together with S3, which hopefully ties up all the loose ends from S2.

Verdict: 3/5.