[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

fade

Staff member
Erased

This is pretty good. If something happens within the general area of the protagonist, time loops until he fixes the issue. Yeah, yeah. This plot device is old, and I can think of at least 2 books, multiple movies, and several video games that invoke it, but the show does it well. It's hard to say more without spoiling a major plot point, though.

Hamatora(nothing to do with hamsters I'm afraid)

THIS...sure is X-men. Its not awful mind you, hell a lot of the people who worked on this metaseries did stuff from Danganranpa to Ace Attorney, but the first ep didn't do much to wow me.

Also being a power-user in this show is called being a "Minimum Holder", and no that's not a clunky translation that's actually what they fucking say in the show along with SEVERAL random uses of the English language for the sake of using English that again feel awkward.

That includes characters with names like "Nice" and "Birthday", where in a proper story these terrible sounding names would be described as say Codenames-BUT NO-from what I can tell these terrible names are their REAL names in a world where its supposed to look like ours. Fuck they're barely codenames at all, just random ass English words that barely describe them dammit!

From what I've read through criticisms I may not continue, sounds like the themes they explore throughout have been done a lot better in different places such as My Hero Academia of course. Especially how in the first episode the bad guy of the week gives some bull shit spiel to the hero saying "WE SHOULD USE OUR POWERS TO CRUSH THE WEAK!" and I was all "...fucking really?"

This is more of anime news, but Netflix will be getting Kakegurui.

Oh come on, LIMITED ROCK PAPER SCISSORS?! Why don't we have them collect 3 star chips so they don't have to deal with the massive DEBT they've collected.

fade

Staff member
Jojo's Author Likes Western Bands

Okay, everyone wouldn't shut up about this one. When was the manga written? The 80s? It's got that old school Saint Seiya feel about it. I don't know, man. I'm trying to get into it, but it's pretty bland so far. There are no surprises--though really for any Shonen anime, that's not unusual. You've got your usual last minute ass-pull powerups, your talk no jutsu, your wimp becomes godlike. Anyway. We just got to America and the focus has shifted to Joseph and his technicolor anime.

GasBandit

Staff member
Jojo's Author Likes Western Bands

Okay, everyone wouldn't shut up about this one. When was the manga written? The 80s? It's got that old school Saint Seiya feel about it. I don't know, man. I'm trying to get into it, but it's pretty bland so far. There are no surprises--though really for any Shonen anime, that's not unusual. You've got your usual last minute ass-pull powerups, your talk no jutsu, your wimp becomes godlike. Anyway. We just got to America and the focus has shifted to Joseph and his technicolor anime.
Yes, it actually was written in the 80s.

When you say you just got to America, does that mean you just got to part 2? Part 1 was mostly just establishing lore, and was really short (you might not think so, but trust me, you haven't scratched the surface yet).

Part 2 (Battle Tendency) which focuses on Young Joseph is better than Part 1, which yeah, was pretty stock standard.

But where the series really becomes what everybody goes apeshit over is part 3, Stardust Crusaders.

Yes, it actually was written in the 80s.

When you say you just got to America, does that mean you just got to part 2? Part 1 was mostly just establishing lore, and was really short (you might not think so, but trust me, you haven't scratched the surface yet).

Part 2 (Battle Tendency) which focuses on Young Joseph is better than Part 1, which yeah, was pretty stock standard.

But where the series really becomes what everybody goes apeshit over is part 3, Stardust Crusaders.
Stardust Crusaders is only... 3-4 weeks in on Toonami, so it hasn't gotten full on, balls to the walls crazy yet. That said, Part 1 and 2 were both pretty good in their own right.

GasBandit

Staff member
Stardust Crusaders is only... 3-4 weeks in on Toonami, so it hasn't gotten full on, balls to the walls crazy yet. That said, Part 1 and 2 were both pretty good in their own right.
Speaking as an internet pirate, how often are they showing it? 5x a week? Because one show a week would mean they'll still be showing stardust crusaders for the next 10 years :p

Speaking as an internet pirate, how often are they showing it? 5x a week? Because one show a week would mean they'll still be showing stardust crusaders for the next 10 years :p
Once a week, yes. But it's the 2014 version of the anime, so it's only got 48 episodes right now, with another season on the way. That's on top of the 35 episodes that covered Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency. That's hardly terrible.

GasBandit

Staff member
Once a week, yes. But it's the 2014 version of the anime, so it's only got 48 episodes right now, with another season on the way. That's on top of the 35 episodes that covered Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency. That's hardly terrible.
From what little I've seen of the english dub, I am simultaneously enraptured and horrified by how they cranked the hammy-ness up to 11 and broke off the knob. I can't wait for YOU GONNA CALL OR DO YOU FOLD?!

If you haven't seen High School DxD, you don't know what titty happy is :p
Too bad it's never getting a second season because...

- the artist wanted to focus on his less popular, less well known work
- the creators couldn't decide how much credit should go to whom
- Once they figured out the credit stuff, they decided they didn't want to be part of the zombie "fad" and basically abandoned the project without resolution.

- Once they figured out the credit stuff, they decided they didn't want to be part of the zombie "fad" and basically abandoned the project without resolution.
uh man you're talking about "high school of the dead" not dxd.
this is the Harem from dxd,

It has 4 seasons afaik.

GasBandit

Staff member

I think you're thinking of High School of the Dead.

High School DxD is... uh..

Oh wait, I just saw that Bones has it handled.

fade

Staff member
Those kinds of shows... "oo boobies. Wait. Why does that one look like she's 11. That's just creepy. Aw..aww. Of friggin' COURSE that's the one they want the protagonist to be with. Japan. Come on."

GasBandit

Staff member
Those kinds of shows... "oo boobies. Wait. Why does that one look like she's 11. That's just creepy. Aw..aww. Of friggin' COURSE that's the one they want the protagonist to be with. Japan. Come on."
Actually, in this one, they want him to be with the redhead (and keep the blonde as a side-chick).

The tiny girl thinks he's an incorrigible pervert (which he is) and constantly kicks his ass.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I will say that High School of the Dead is a strong 4th/Runner-Up to the top 3, only not making the cut because of the issues preventing it from getting more seasons, as Ash said.

GasBandit

Staff member
The boobies better make up for that kid whose only line seems to be "it's all for nothing." :p
If you mean the primary male protagonist of HSotD, his character develops and he stops getting mopey pretty quick.

If you're talking about HSDxD, I have no idea to what you refer.

If you mean the primary male protagonist of HSotD, his character develops and he stops getting mopey pretty quick.

If you're talking about HSDxD, I have no idea to what you refer.
In HSDxD, he's the buddy of the protagonist with the glasses. In the first five minutes of the first episode he said "it's all for nothing" no less than three times. Gah!

GasBandit

Staff member
In HSDxD, he's the buddy of the protagonist with the glasses. In the first five minutes of the first episode he said "it's all for nothing" no less than three times. Gah!
Oh, don't worry about those dweebs, they fade into the background pretty quick when the main plot line starts up.

Are you watching the dub or the sub? You really really really ought to watch the dub. The voice work and the localized dialog/script is amazing.

Oh, don't worry about those dweebs, they fade into the background pretty quick when the main plot line starts up.

Are you watching the dub or the sub? You really really really ought to watch the dub. The voice work and the localized dialog/script is amazing.
Both. :) The version on NZBgeek has both dub and original soundtracks.