[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

GasBandit

Staff member
That DxD pic is the most strategically placed debris in the history of ever.

--Patrick
And if you get the uncensored version, it doesn't bother placing the debris.

The protagonist gets supernatural powers that use his emotions as fuel. As his primary motivating emotion is lust, one of his first learned special attacks (harmlessly) shreds off all the clothing of all females within a given radius of him.

GasBandit

Staff member
S1E2... they did not just reference Forrest Gump did they?!?
I know exactly the quote you're talking about. Yes, yes they did :D

It's gonna be that kind of anime. Not QUITE "Ghost Stories," but you can tell the localization team and VAs had a LOT of creative freedom and weren't afraid of reference humor.

fade

Staff member
One thing bugs me in Jojojojojojojo... There are like 3 male face models and it's hard to tell them apart.

fade

Staff member
I'm not a big fan of the whole "Nazis aren't so bad once you get to know them" sentiment in JoJo.

Assuming you mean Monster Musume: One of the three greatest ecchi animes of the modern age, of course. The other two being Keijo and High School DxD :D
Two down, one two go. The 3rd season of High School DxD was a bit of a downer, so I'm glad to lighten the mood with Monster Musume. :)

I'm not a big fan of the whole "Nazis aren't so bad once you get to know them" sentiment in JoJo.
This is just Japan being Japan; they routinely have their idols and popstars do a brief "Nazi" imagery phase, basically because it looks cool... and then their international fans tell them to fuck off and the Japanese community just kind scratches their heads and apologizes. A lot of this is because Japan has a very tight knit history with German, to the point of basing their entire new government after them Post-War. A lot of it is also because things like the Holocaust don't get talked about in Japan, mostly because the Conservative government keeps rewriting the history books.

Ero-Manga Sensei... feels a little creepy. I switched over to take a look at Food Wars! instead. Not a good idea on an empty stomach. :p

Is that "Gamers!" show as terrible as I think it its? Because it looks like a basic ass High-School Romcom with a gaming theme.
It's not "Genshiken" if you mean that. I watched five episodes and thought it 's ok. But yes, it's a basic romcom with lots of misunderstandings and a gaming theme.

Either way I learned that Genshiken is a thing, and it looks good.

ONTO OTHER THINGS-I am...not sure about getting back into "The absolutely horrible life of Saiki Kusuo, the kid who has literally every super power you could ever imagine and the only weaknesses he has he basically gives himself because he's pretty much god." Its kind of like a kid-friendly One Punch Man in all honesty, only replace the main character being an utterly relatable unemployed twenty something, with a completely whiney teenager complaining about how terrible his life is all the time despite having friends and a crap ton of powers and-GRAH I JUST WANNA KICK HIS ASS!

And yet somehow its gone on for 120 chapters, I got sick of this premise a FUCK while ago.

fade

Staff member
JoJo arc 3

What the hell happened to Joseph? He beat multiple gods, and now he's a weiner who has trouble with basic stand users? And hamon has been sidelined.

GasBandit

Staff member
JoJo arc 3

What the hell happened to Joseph? He beat multiple gods, and now he's a weiner who has trouble with basic stand users? And hamon has been sidelined.
The thing about Joseph is he's a skiver at heart. After WW2, he basically stopped practicing hamon. Also, Hamon is only really DEVASTATINGLY effective against vampires since its best attacks are based on sunlight, and most stand users are not vampires.

Frankly, I said good riddance. Hamon was clunky and derivative. The rest of the Jojo serieses are all about Stands, and that was a much more versatile and novel concept. Though, there will be a few times in Stardust Crusaders where Hamon plays a role, given that the Big Bad is, once again, DIO BURANDO!

fade

Staff member
The thing about Joseph is he's a skiver at heart. After WW2, he basically stopped practicing hamon. Also, Hamon is only really DEVASTATINGLY effective against vampires since its best attacks are based on sunlight, and most stand users are not vampires.

Frankly, I said good riddance. Hamon was clunky and derivative. The rest of the Jojo serieses are all about Stands, and that was a much more versatile and novel concept. Though, there will be a few times in Stardust Crusaders where Hamon plays a role, given that the Big Bad is, once again, DIO BURANDO!
Well okay, but skiver or not, Joseph didn't generally beat the vampires with hamon so much as innate battle smarts. Yet he seems to have lost that completely.

fade

Staff member
Yeah, I'm about done with JoJo. It's pretty boring, and I don't get the popularity. The first arc was mildly interesting, but after that it got really formulaic. The third arc is the worst. It is like clockwork formulaic. One guy who isn't Jotaro goes against the baddie. They lose. Jotaro goes and then wins by basically not giving a crap. Lather rinse repeat. The only saving grace is Joseph's over the top "OH MY GOOOOOOD".

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I'm about done with JoJo. It's pretty boring, and I don't get the popularity. The first arc was mildly interesting, but after that it got really formulaic. The third arc is the worst. It is like clockwork formulaic. One guy who isn't Jotaro goes against the baddie. They lose. Jotaro goes and then wins by basically not giving a crap. Lather rinse repeat. The only saving grace is Joseph's over the top "OH MY GOOOOOOD".
At least stick it out for the Oingo Boingo Brothers, Alessi, and Daniel J. D'Arby. Heck, the first two, Jotaro barely has any involvement at all.

Or don't, I'm not your boss.

fade

Staff member
I've made it that far. I guess they had copyright issues given that they're clearly saying "Oingo Boingo" and "Vanilla Ice", but the subtitles say different names.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've made it that far. I guess they had copyright issues given that they're clearly saying "Oingo Boingo" and "Vanilla Ice", but the subtitles say different names.
That is exactly the case, and it irritates me to no end as well.

If you've seen Vanilla Ice get defeated, you're almost at the end of 3 anyway. Who knows, maybe you'll like part 4 better. It passes the torch to the next Jojo. Though, honestly, I didn't like 4 as much as 3, but it was still better than 1.

GasBandit

Staff member
There's... some really shitty framerates in there. And some lazy, inconsistent artwork. Some scenes looked more like what I would have expected from a collegehumor parody of an anime.

fade

Staff member
One thing doesn't make a lot of sense in JoJo. Dio should be nothing compared to the 4 pillar men Joseph beat already. The weakest pillar man easily consumed a normal vampire on first awakening. I get that he has Jonathan's body, but even there, Jonathan was weaker than Joseph. It's like they want to nerf Joseph because of plot reasons.