[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

The new season of Berserk manages to look even worse than the first. Like, unacceptably terrible.

How could anyone think this kind of shit is acceptable?

And the magnum opus of shit animation:

Do you know if they re-animated parts for the physical release of the first season? Sometimes they'll have shit animation to make it to air, but they fix it later.

GasBandit

Staff member
The new season of Berserk manages to look even worse than the first. Like, unacceptably terrible.

How could anyone think this kind of shit is acceptable?

"Do we need to mocap for this shot?" "Nah, just pose the models, hook them to one reference, and shake them up and down in front of the camera."

Do you know if they re-animated parts for the physical release of the first season? Sometimes they'll have shit animation to make it to air, but they fix it later.
It looks like some of the first season was improved, but it's still full of God awful poorly animated CG puppets.

First 13 episodes of Little Witch Academia are up on Netflix, dubbed. Dunno when the second cour hits, but it should be soon. The game they are making will be heading over to the US in 2018 as well. Yoshinari (the creator) has made it clear he's hoping to make a sequel series. I think the ball is in Netflix's court for that one.

Studio Trigger also announced a new series: PROMARE, which is going to be similair in vein to KILL LA KILL and GURREN LAGANN.

fade

Staff member
I finally chewed through Yuyu Hakusho on Hulu. I had watched bits and pieces of this back in the day on Cartoon Network, but never the whole thing. It was really good until the dark tournament saga. Then it just got really repetitive. Then they drop Kuwabara--the most interesting character--in the last season, which made it even less interesting.

fade

Staff member
Boruto

I really liked Naruto, I won't lie. I enjoyed its mythology, its characters, and the world it built. I don't really care if it was popular or not--that has no bearing on my judgement of it. Happy to say Boruto is still pretty good. It's interesting that they don't let Naruto himself speak much. He's firmly in the background.

I will say this, though: Naruto ended with Naruto strong enough to take down a creator goddess, yet the setup for Boruto is that Naruto has been defeated and the Hidden Leaf destroyed. What kind of enemy is this going to be that can take out a guy who can take out a god? Or will they just play the "he's out of practice" card?

GasBandit

Staff member

Surprise... Stan Lee is involved in Anime again? (I think his last one was Heroman).
Wow.. the... uh.. animation looks... REALLY lazy. The most limited color pallette since early 2000s flash animations, and cel shading effects reminiscent of same, all in a package that looks like it's an entry into the "least number of frames drawn" contest.

I actually felt pain in my occipital lobe watching that.

Wow.. the... uh.. animation looks... REALLY lazy. The most limited color pallette since early 2000s flash animations, and cel shading effects reminiscent of same, all in a package that looks like it's an entry into the "least number of frames drawn" contest.

I actually felt pain in my occipital lobe watching that.
It thought it worked in some parts and definitely not in others in that trailer.

All in all I'd give it 5/10 Berserk 2016s in the laziness department.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd have to know which episode you're on, but probably yes. By episode 4 I'd seen references to Pawn Stars, Evangelion, Steven Universe, Twilight, and UNDERGRADS from MTV.
It was the mushroom dream episode. At the drive-in movie theater, there's a part or it shows mushrooms growing over the whole school, and there's one scene in particular where mushrooms grow into the entire screen space and squeeze the bookwormish girl to death exactly like Kaori in Akira, only the bloody part in Akira is obscured by the Celluloid burning away on screen.

GasBandit

Staff member
It was the mushroom dream episode. At the drive-in movie theater, there's a part or it shows mushrooms growing over the whole school, and there's one scene in particular where mushrooms grow into the entire screen space and squeeze the bookwormish girl to death exactly like Kaori in Akira, only the bloody part in Akira is obscured by the Celluloid burning away on screen.
Here we go, GifCam to the rescue.

This part -

is clearly a direct reference to this part of Akira:

For reference:

Akko: Japanese, main character, idiot.
Sucy: Filipino (She's got grey skin like a traditional Filipino witch and her original broom was a Walis Tambo), loves poison, potions, and mushrooms. Is best girl.
Lotte: Finnish, blonde girl. Probably the most popular.

GasBandit

Staff member
For reference:

Akko: Japanese, main character, idiot.
Sucy: Filipino (She's got grey skin like a traditional Filipino witch and her original broom was a Walis Tambo), loves poison, potions, and mushrooms. Is best girl.
Lotte: Finnish, blonde girl. Probably the most popular.
Yeah, I'm never gonna remember that. I just remember their archetypes.

fade

Staff member
Assassination Classroom

Meh. Plus it's implied that Koro Sensei rapes the blonde assassin/teacher with his penis fingers. That's pretty disturbing.

fade

Staff member
I have a feeling the ending is going one of maybe 3 ways.

On a more general note, one anime cultural difference always stands out to me: striking children to the point of leaving a mark, swelling, or blood, and then everyone just plays it off like it's nothing.

Halfway through Castlevania.

Good thing this got renewed, cause we aren't getting too far on four episodes at this rate. But it's well-written and interesting, so I'm good.