Export thread

The Walking Dead

Limit: 500

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The old threads were closed, so I couldn't necro them.

This is just a reminder to all that the series premiers TONIGHT on AMC at 10:00pm eastern.

phil

phil

I can't wait! I have to be home in time to see it, but I've also got it set to record so hopefully I'll see it tonight!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Suckers. I already watched it, like, over a week ago. :D It got leaked.

And trust me: it. Is. Awesome.

Steve

Steve

Got it set in my DVR so I'll never miss a show. It's replacing "Sons of Anarchy" in my weekly rotation since Sons has really fallen in quality this season. My weekend line up include "Supernatural", "Dexter" and "The Walking Dead." Can't think of a better trifecta.

Dave

Dave

DVR set! Ready...Set....SHAMBLE!!

Covar

Covar

DVR set to record the series. We are good to go.

Adam

Adammon

Getting awesome reviews across the board. DVRed and looking forward to the end of Halloween festivities so I can shut the lights off and watch.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That was fucking awesome.

That is all.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, I gotta admit... that was fantastic. The make-up was great, especially on the crawling one Rick shoots in the park.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I subscribed to the season on iTunes. Now I'm waiting not so patiently for it to be downloadable.

Espy

Espy

So give me a number on the gore scale here? 1-10?

My wife likes some scary and gory stuff but nothing too extreme.

Dave

Dave

A bit of gore. Actually a good bit of gore.

Espy

Espy

Probably to much for her... damn. At least I will enjoy it :)

Cog

Cog

My wife liked the first episode, but it caused her nightmares. Now, she doesn't want to see another.

Covar

Covar

So give me a number on the gore scale here? 1-10?

My wife likes some scary and gory stuff but nothing too extreme.
7? It's not that over the top, but I will warn they don't pull punches.

hmm. I forgot about a scene toward the end. 9.

Over all the show is awesome, very similar and yet different from the comic all at the same time. Great stuff. I love how they introduced Glenn. He was one of my favorite characters.

Chazwozel

why the fuck did the horse have to die?

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Man, that was great. It's going to be hard waiting a week between episodes.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Probably to much for her... damn. At least I will enjoy it :)
The gore is about the top limit they can get away with on AMC.

Which turns out to be a little more than I expected. Made the edited for tv Dawn of the Dead remake that came on before it look like a pansy.

Adam

Adammon

Not sure where I stand so far on this. For tv, it was incredibly well done. As a representative for the zombie genre, it was well acted and very 'human'. A little slow (zombie slow) but as an adaptation it's okay. I'm a big fan of the comic and it's always a rough ride between interpretations.

If this was AMC pushing what they can do on tv though, I suspect more than less will be cut as we continue through the series.

Also I think his wife and son could have been handled as a cliff hanger at the end instead of what they used. One thing the comic does really well is the cliched cliffhanger.

@Li3n

@Li3n

So, anyone know if the broadcast version is different from the leaked one?!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I don't have TV, and I haven't yet found any less-than-legal sources for it.

I might actually just buy it on iTunes.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Even though I'll be "legally obtaining" the episodes as they come out, I'll still be buying, possibly pre-ordering, the eventual Blu-Ray.

As for why they didn't wait until the end to show the wife? It was much more subtle. They showed his ex-partner macking it up with some woman and her kid, so we think "Aw, he found someone." Then we switch to Rick's car, with a picture of his wife and kid hanging and you're all like "SON OF A...!"

I've got high hopes for this series. If they can keep up on the great promise that this first episode showed, it's going to be BIG. I think this'll be as big as Mad Men.

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

Yes the zombies were great, but does the hero HAVE to be more lucky than smart? Also if my family and friends think I'm dead in the beginning of it all, can my best friend and wife wait more than a month before hooking up?!?

Adam

Adammon

Even though I'll be "legally obtaining" the episodes as they come out, I'll still be buying, possibly pre-ordering, the eventual Blu-Ray.

As for why they didn't wait until the end to show the wife? It was much more subtle. They showed his ex-partner macking it up with some woman and her kid, so we think "Aw, he found someone." Then we switch to Rick's car, with a picture of his wife and kid hanging and you're all like "SON OF A...!"
It was as subtle as a brick going through your window with a note attached saying "This is a brick that has just gone through your window." and then the brick explodes in slow motion Bay-style pyrotechnics.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Heh, okay, but it was more subtle than the "wife and kid are alive at the end of the episode!" that would've happened in any other show. In fact, they would've been saying "Have you seen your father? You know, Rick? My husband?" "No, Mom, I have not seen my father who is named Rick, who is a cop, who we left in a coma."

Come to think of it, that sounds like something on Smallville.

Adam

Adammon

I think one thing LOST did and True Blood does exceptionally well is the big reveal of a substantial shocker/critical piece of plot/action beat at the end of an episode. It definitely entices the viewer to tune in the same bat-time, same bat-channel next week for the conclusion to that reveal. I guess this one felt like it happened in the middle of the episode and ran out of gas. I would have had Lori and Carl throughout the entire episode and then the big reveal would be who they're with and what they're doing, while he's in the tank wondering about them. A little more cliche but more of a "WTF!?"

We also never really got a timeline for how long he was in a 'coma-ette' for. And somehow he grew a beard but his nails stayed perfectly trimmed...

Also,
That whole under-the-tank "I'm so sorry Lori and Carl" hold-gun-to-my-head and OH, there's a hatch into the tank" thing was just downright stupid. Or at the least, overly manipulative.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

To be fair, most people don't know that tanks have hatches on the bottom of them for escaping. It's not entirely shocking that he just didn't notice it until then.

D

Dubyamn

Yes the zombies were great, but does the hero HAVE to be more lucky than smart?
Come on that's a TV show and Zombie movie classic set-up. If they were awesome and incredible at the beginning of the series there would be nowhere to really go from there. For episodic shows it can work IE: Burn Notice. But for shows with overarching plot lines it's probably best for the bad ass abilities to grow naturally.

Also if my family and friends think I'm dead in the beginning of it all, can my best friend and wife wait more than a month before hooking up?!?
It's the end of the world and all it would take is a scratch for them to die. I would quite frankly think my girl the paragon of chastity if she waited a week.

Necronic

Necronic

One thing the comic does really well is the cliched cliffhanger.
comic book spoiler, so this will mess up the show if you haven't read the comics
"Well Stranger, around here we feed them strangers." One of the best lines in a comic book for ending a slick. Pretty much every book that involved that dude had great cliffhanger endings.

Adam

Adammon

One thing the comic does really well is the cliched cliffhanger.
comic book spoiler, so this will mess up the show if you haven't read the comics
"Well Stranger, around here we eat strangers." One of the best lines in a comic book for ending a slick. Pretty much every book that involved that dude had great cliffhanger endings.
[/QUOTE]

I look forward to several parts of the comic coming to the show including:

The Governor meeting Michonne

The final assault on the jail and Lori and Judith

Dale's final "FUCK YOU" to the bad people (Spoiler within a spoiler removed...hahaha

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Man, so far so good. Yes, I could nitpick.
But you guys have already done that about the same things I would, and minor complaints about overly manipulative moments and really stupid heroes aside, it's looking like it could actually be the show I expected. Which makes for a happy checkeredhat.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I loved the first episode. From watching the previews, I can see that Kirkman has given it his full approval.

What I really want to see is how Tyreese dies. He gets it raw and it's one of the most powerful moments in the book when the Governor hacks off his head.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Something just occurred to me:

They did slow moving zombies amazingly well, especially near the end, when Rick turned the corner and there were THOUSANDS of them. Then he turned another corner and ANOTHER thousand or so. Totally surrounded by sheer numbers. Just like the father said earlier in the show, one doesn't matter, but it's in the groups when they get dangerous.

I don't want to start another fast vs. slow argument, but I think this is a very strong argument in favour of slow. :)

Joe Johnson

Something just occurred to me:

They did slow moving zombies amazingly well, especially near the end, when Rick turned the corner and there were THOUSANDS of them. Then he turned another corner and ANOTHER thousand or so. Totally surrounded by sheer numbers. Just like the father said earlier in the show, one doesn't matter, but it's in the groups when they get dangerous.

I don't want to start another fast vs. slow argument, but I think this is a very strong argument in favour of slow. :)
Depends on the sort of story you're trying to tell. I think for this, you need the slow zombies - it allows for more slow development of characters. If zombies were fast, we would have trouble buying any of the moments where there is "downtime" where people are just talking things over.

As to the way they revealed the wife/child, I think it was fine. I mean, as soon as they showed the two on-screen I pretty much guessed who they were, and I think they assumed that most people might. So, rather than trying to make it a mystery, they just got it out of the way by "revealing it" with the photo.

Necronic

Necronic

I loved the first episode. From watching the previews, I can see that Kirkman has given it his full approval.

What I really want to see is how Tyreese dies. He gets it raw and it's one of the most powerful moments in the book when the Governor hacks off his head.
To be perfectly honest that's a scene I wouldn't mind a re-write on. That whole trade was where I started to think the comic had jumped the shark a bit.

Steve

Steve

I thought the show was great. The pacing was slow but it fit with the overall theme. I can't believe they made me feel sympathy for zombies (specifically the one crawling in the park). It was almost like a wounded animal. Looking forward to the season. Was a little surprised at the amount of blood/gore in the episode.

Adam

Adammon

I thought the show was great. The pacing was slow but it fit with the overall theme. I can't believe they made me feel sympathy for zombies (specifically the one crawling in the park). It was almost like a wounded animal. Looking forward to the season. Was a little surprised at the amount of blood/gore in the episode.
That is directly from the comic book. They're definitely taking the best parts of the comic and making them better.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I don't think he ever felt sorry for the zombie, but he was definitely sorry for what had happened to the person. She wasn't just bit once or twice like most of the people; she had probably been ripped apart by a pack of them while everybody else ran away. That would've been a terrible way to go.

Jay

Jay

Been waiting since they announced it. Watched it. Loved it. Bought comics online this week. Will wait till end of show to read.

Did I mention that it was amazing? The did zombies right for a change.

phil

phil

I don't think Rick gets his hatchet! I hope he does at some point.

Adam

Adammon

I don't think Rick gets his hatchet! I hope he does at some point.
I was reading back the series back from issue 1 and I have to agree, the magic hatchet better make an appearance.

Could make for an awesome Walking Dead drinking game. For every zombie Rick kills with the hatchet, take a drink!

Calleja

Calleja

For those of you looking forward to seeing certain things from the comic in the series... I wouldn't hold my breath, they might not happen. Kirkman is treating the series as a sort of "reboot", an Ultimate Walking Dead if you will... there will be new characters, new situations and things that happen in the comic might happen but in a different way or not happen at all. He says we shouldn't even expect to know who lives and who dies in the series even if you follow the comic... he wants to keep the feeling of "no one is safe" that the comic has.

One of the quick sources: 'The Walking Dead': Comic book series creator Robert Kirkman answers our questions about last night's shocking pilot | EW.com

The slight-spoiler thing I'm not sure I like:
Shane is not gonna die... at least not anytime soon. Kirkman wants to explore the Rick-Lori-Shane triangle further in the series :/

phil

phil

I'm rewatching and it looks like Shane had a hatchet!

Calleja

Calleja

For those of you looking forward to seeing certain things from the comic in the series... I wouldn't hold my breath, they might not happen. Kirkman is treating the series as a sort of "reboot", an Ultimate Walking Dead if you will... there will be new characters, new situations and things that happen in the comic might happen but in a different way or not happen at all. He says we shouldn't even expect to know who lives and who dies in the series even if you follow the comic... he wants to keep the feeling of "no one is safe" that the comic has.

One of the quick sources: 'The Walking Dead': Comic book series creator Robert Kirkman answers our questions about last night's shocking pilot | EW.com

Shane is not gonna die... at least not anytime soon. Kirkman wants to explore the Rick-Lori-Shane triangle further in the series :/

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, I suspected there was simply some stuff we'd never see happen in the Television series.

COMIC SPOILERS. DO NOT OPEN IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE COMIC.
Stuff that I expect we won't see:

- Murder of the twins by the crazy guy
- Attempted Double Suicide by Ty's daughter and boyfriend
- Crazy Chick's attempt to get in a polyamourus relationship with Rick and Lori.
- Michone's (SP?) weird arrival.
- Rick losing his hand
- Lori and the baby getting killed

Stuff I suspect will be added?

- Dwayne and his dad will have more appearances.
- A concrete cause of the outbreak

phil

phil

Glen must live. That's all I ask.

Baerdog

Baerdog

I'll be honest, I wasn't really planning to go out of my way to watch this show. It was only because I was clicking through channels on Sunday that I decided to record it on a lark.

Well, I finally watched it today and it was awesome. I'll definitely be tuning in next week. I wanna find out who was talking to Rick over the radio when he was in the tank.

Adam

Adammon

Considering 90% of the viewing population has probably never read the comics, that's kinda moot. And the fact we're watching despite already knowing the 'twists and turns' shows just how good the show is. That said, it's more likely that they don't want to kill off 'popular characters' for $$$ reasons, not story reasons...

Jay

Jay

I know I'm early but, Jesus F. Christ, I really hope this thread won't turn into a whinefest that X and Y wasn't exactly from the book/novel/comic/toilet paper.

This thread is to discuss the TV SHOW, so let's shut it when it comes to how it'll compare to the goddamned books while the show is going on. Enjoy this shit for a change and watch the spoilers please.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I'll definitely be tuning in next week. I wanna find out who was talking to Rick over the radio when he was in the tank.
The voice sounded like a young man's. Since this is Rick's first foray into Atlanta I'm betting it's Glenn.

Baerdog

Baerdog

I have no idea who that is.

Calleja

Calleja

It's cool that we can talk about the comic and it's not really a spoiler for the show, cause it'll be different anyway.

For instance... something that's now confirmed is NOT a spoiler (FOR THE TV SHOW, STILL SPOILER FOR (early issues of) COMIC):
Carl, that's Rick's little kid, actually kills Shane, saving Rick's life. This marks the character for the rest of the series. Wonder how this will change the TV-Carl.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Also, the thread never specifies if this is TV or comic-centric, so as long as spoilers are clearly marked and spoiler tags are used, there really shouldn't be any kind of problem with talking about either version of The Walking Dead.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

It's cool that we can talk about the comic and it's not really a spoiler for the show, cause it'll be different anyway.
There are some other characters in these episodes that aren't part of the comic, so I'm betting they'll use one of those instead.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I know I'm early but, Jesus F. Christ, I really hope this thread won't turn into a whinefest that X and Y wasn't exactly from the book/novel/comic/toilet paper.
IMO most of the time when they change stuff it also means that they change the feel and tone of the work too... mostly by missing the point... hopefully with the creator on-board that won't happen.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I finally got to watch this last night, and I have to say that of all the stuff I've watched or read, this is the first that felt properly bleak, and thus properly realistic. Still, so good.

Jay

Jay

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Here's a still from Episode 2. Anybody notice something that seems a bit out of place? :)

Espy

Espy

lol, that must be a production still, not a shot from the show unless it just hasn't had its post production done yet.

So I just watched it last night.

It was excellent. It was hard and intense and beautifully shot. This could end up being one of the best tv shows ever.

phil

phil

It's good enough to be cancelled after it's first season!

I'm still waiting for charly boner fierce to tell us we're all a bunch of dumb nerds for enjoy something that sucked.

MindDetective

MindDetective

He was very much looking forward to this show, though.

Espy

Espy

Actually I think he said he was "hoping it would be good" because it was an AMC show but not because it was "the 837th stupid nerd zombie story" so... I don't know how excited he was for it... but I would like to hear his thoughts as well, even when we disagree I respect charlies thoughts on media.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

It was fucking amazing. That pilot was better than most zombie movies.

It also was the most-watched anything in AMC's history, so they're gonna probably want more. More people saw it than anything on NBC not called The Office or Football last week. That's really great.

I do have to say that the lead kind of isn't the best actor. Hopefully he'll get better. I have been slightly not reading all of this thread since I haven't read the comic at all and might want to some day, and it seems like comic spoilers are going all over the place.

Espy

Espy

I agree, it was better than 97% of Zombie movies. I was actually really disappointed with the casting of the guy playing Rick. He didn't strike me as similar to the character from the comic, not that thats a huge deal, but I had hoped he would look more like him. All in all he was fine, I think he had to spend most of this episode looking shocked so I expect to see him stretched soon.

As far as comic spoilers go, from what I have heard they are changing things dramatically in order to keep the "anyone can die" feeling the comic here in the show. So any spoiler you might know from the comic isn't certain.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

As far as comic spoilers go, from what I have heard they are changing things dramatically in order to keep the "anyone can die" feeling the comic here in the show. So any spoiler you might know from the comic isn't certain.
Well, it's still spoiling the comic that I might read since the show is so good :p

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Never read the comic, and knowing the kind of brain-dead 'tards we have selecting which shows get aired, the series will likely never arrive in here (We get it! You like Heartbeat! But it's been on for years! And Dolby City is just boring! And who in the sphincter of hell thought Primeval wouldn't suck donkey balls!?), so I'll contend with watching this as Flash loads.

Espy

Espy

Well, it's still spoiling the comic that I might read since the show is so good :p[/QUOTE]

Well thats fair, the comic is simply amazing. Make sure you have someone around to stop you from killing yourself though. It's not, uh, how do I put this, "heartwarming".

Chazwozel

It's good enough to be cancelled after it's first season!

I'm still waiting for charly boner fierce to tell us we're all a bunch of dumb nerds for enjoy something that sucked.

Charlie has really good taste in movies. He's a little critical, but usually spot on.

fade

fade

I saw the first episode, and I've never read the comic. It was a little slow-paced. I'm impressed with how abandoned they made the sets feel. Not impressed with the really cheesy looking CG blood, though. I hope the pace picks up a little.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Here's a still from Episode 2. Anybody notice something that seems a bit out of place? :)

That's pretty clearly a production photo and not a still from the show. The show's in a 16:9 Widescreen ratio. That, obviously isn't.

Necronic

Necronic

I agree, it was better than 97% of Zombie movies. I was actually really disappointed with the casting of the guy playing Rick. He didn't strike me as similar to the character from the comic, not that thats a huge deal, but I had hoped he would look more like him. All in all he was fine, I think he had to spend most of this episode looking shocked so I expect to see him stretched soon.
Yeah, that wasn't who I would have picked. My call:

Except with shorter hair.

Other than that though, quite good. I like the stuff that was added with the family in the beginning. I wish they had included the hillbillies shouting "I'm not going back there!" or whatever it was.

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 AM ----------

actually better img. Totally looks like rick:

Espy

Espy

Lets face it, Thomas Jane should play every male lead.

Seriously, he is exactly who I would have picked as well.

Adam

Adammon

Shoulda stuck with Darabont for the first couple episodes. A little weaker episode, still good. If the wife still wants to watch, it's doing something right.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

It's 10 pm here and iTunes still doesn't have it up for downloading. C'mooooooonnnnnnnn...

phil

phil

I loved this 2nd episode. Almost like an entire zombie movie chopped down to an hour while still being good.

I thought it was interesting when Rick stopped to check the one zombie's wallet. It was a nice little touch of added humanity. Like any other zombie they wouldn't give a shit about after killing, but because this one is going to provide for us we should do something to honor him.

I think it also shows how Rick is still so new to this world as to want to honor the occasional dead.

Separate idea spoiler

We haven't seen anyone get completely torn to pieces yet despite all the close calls this episode brought us. I wonder how that's really going to be handled on TV. It seems like a fair share of gore was done just off camera this episode. Maybe after the big premier they decided to tone it down a little? I might have just not paid enough attention to notice everything. Or maybe the chopping the body segment spent all of their gore points or something. You know?

Final thoughts.

Where do they keep getting those face protectors?

And did Glen basically ride off into the sunset? I almost feel like we may not see him again soon.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I like how much they are mixing up the books. Most of the events of the first volume are there, but they're playing out completely differently and I think that's awesome.

I hope that's not the last we see of Glen, he rules.

I actually felt bad for the racist asshole at the end there. That's not supposed to happen.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, it's both similar to the comic but different enough to be its own thing. It's funny. Only a year or two ago, I would've been complaining how they're not sticking close to the books. But I'm in the middle of taking a Filming Literature class, where we compare the book with the movie. So, I'm really starting to learn that no movie can be 100% loyal to a book, because there are too many elements to a movie that a book doesn't (visuals, music, etc). But this? I don't mind this at all. There's a lot of key things they're taking from the comic, but rather than making it the Bible for the show, they're using it as the template.

As far as this episode goes? I partly agree Adammon; it wasn't quite as good as the first episode, but it sitll had lots of things to like about it.

Oh, and...

Don't worry about Glenn. I'm sure he'll be back. I think he just wanted to take it out for a spin to have a rare moment of joy. Kind of like the shower scene in the first episode; it's a thing that you can't really do in this new world. So he's going for a brief joyride. :D

And yeah, I thought the hick dude would at least be given the hacksaw or something. Eh, couldn't've happened to a nicer guy.

fade

fade

Well, Chekov's Gun and all. There's no way that hacksaw's not coming back. After all they zoomed in and focused the camera on it for a good 2 seconds.

On the other point, I have no problem with not sticking to the book as long as the spirit of the scene or story isn't violated. It's faramir vs. the first x-men movie. Faramir violated the spirit of the scene, while x-men changed a lot but kept the flow and feeling right, and ended up offending very few people with the changes.

Jay

Jay

I loved the second show.

When they were putting on the guts on themselves though, I threw up a bit in my mouth. It was awesome. I couldn't believe they were showing this, this is awesome

They couldn't have picked a better actor to play the part of Dickson, heck, he even dressed up like Francis in L4D short of the pinch.

I'm pretty sure he'll be back somehow, when the black dude dropped them tools as he stumbled back.

All in all, great episode.

Oh and the intro music is fucken awesome!! BTW, Rick's wife's face in the ground as she's taken from behind was a fantastic touch before the intro this episode... I love it... it's RAW

And yeah....

Where are all these face protectors coming from?[ And I wanna see people start dying!!!!

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Just remember that in the comic, bad things happen to good people. Bad things also happen to assholes. Sometimes they suffer misfortunes you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

This marks the first show in over 10yrs that I watched on premiere day as well as the only show that I will actually watch when it airs.

I want this show to succeed so hard. I think my television had a minor heartattack that I used it for anything but X-Box use.

Chazwozel

This marks the first show in over 10yrs that I watched on premiere day as well as the only show that I will actually watch when it airs.

I want this show to succeed so hard. I think my television had a minor heartattack that I used it for anything but X-Box use.
Same. It's so rare I actually watch a drama series.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Yeah, I think the next 4 weeks the show will air new episodes will go by incredibly fast.

Jay

Jay

They might as well start with Season 2... it's their highest rated show ever. Stop wasting my time and bring me more of this zombie goodness!

Fun Size

Fun Size

I think they signed on for season 2 before it premiered.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Did someone say Season

Tress

Tress

It was renewed this morning. Hopefully the next season will be a full 13 episodes.

Jay

Jay

Confirmed!

‘The Walking Dead’ Renewed For Second Season

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

MC RESURRECTS “THE WALKING DEAD” FOR A SECOND SEASON

(New York, NY – November 8, 2010) AMC announced today the renewal of “The Walking Dead” for a 13-episode second season. Since debuting Sunday, October 31, “The Walking Dead” has broken ratings records, with the series reaching more Adults 18-49 than any other show in the history of cable television.

Today’s announcement also includes Fox International Channels’ (FIC) global renewal for a second season, following record-breaking premiere ratings in 120 countries in Europe, Latin America, Asia and the Middle East. “The Walking Dead” was the highest-rated original series premiere ever to air on FIC simultaneously worldwide.

“The ‘Dead’ has spread!” said Charlie Collier, President, AMC. “No other cable series has ever attracted as many Adults 18-49 as ‘The Walking Dead.’ This reaffirms viewers’ hunger for premium television on basic cable. We are so proud to be bringing back ‘The Walking Dead’ again, across the globe.”

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I knew I was onto something!

:uhhuh:-:thumbsup:

Steve

Steve

This show is destroying the other shows I watch. I dropped Sons of Anarchy last week because it pales in comparison. After last night's show I dropped The Event. Of course I watch Dexter right before The Walking Dead so I get two solid hours of great TV. By the end of the season they may be the only two shows left I watch. One of the things I like is how the word zombie is not used. I think if that word was introduced it would be campy. Walkers or walking dead somehow grounds the show in reality.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Ok, this season of Sons took a while to take off, but now that they're where they are currently, you decide to drop it? Whoa!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

*ahem* Yes, well. *straightens himself up* That iis to say...I am quite pleased.

Espy

Espy

Second episode was also fantastic. That is all.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Hmm, I wonder if more shows would get a second season if they just had zombies in them.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

If only I had access to Photoshop right now....

Firefly Zombies

Apparantly Reavers were not enough.

Tress

Tress

Shows just need more zombies in general. I know that I would start watching Grey's Anatomy of the Dead.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Shows just need more zombies in general. I know that I would start watching Grey's Anatomy of the Dead.
House.... of the Dead!
Glee... with Zombies!
Two and half men... and a zombie!

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

House.... of the Dead!
Glee... with Zombies!
Two and half men... and a zombie![/QUOTE]

Two and a half zombies?

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Stop ruining everything you nerds harumph

Espy

Espy

You wouldn't watch Two and a Half Men and Zombies?

I sure as hell would.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You wouldn't watch Two and a Half Men and Zombies?

I sure as hell would.
Two and a half men isn't worth watching no matter how many zombies you add.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I disagree, if the zombies ate everyone but Sheen.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Actually, you could leave the name if the half man was actually, you know, half of a man.

fade

fade

The zombies wouldn't mess with sheen. He'd be sitting drunk in a pile of his own excrement masturbating furiously while yelling at the hooker locked in the bathroom.

Espy

Espy

The zombies wouldn't mess with sheen. He'd be sitting drunk in a pile of his own excrement masturbating furiously while yelling at the hooker locked in the bathroom.
See now, THAT'S a good premise for a TV show.

Tress

Tress

See now, THAT'S a good premise for a TV show.[/QUOTE]

The last thing we need is more reality shows.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Considering that I hate most people on reality shows, I really wouldn't mind seeing zombies eat them. In fact, I'd pay good money to see those Jersey Shore guidos get theirs.

Necronic

Necronic

I still can't believe they got Whitney Houston for the first episode

Jay

Jay

Sunday cannot come fast enough.

Calleja

Calleja

That scene where Rick escapes the tank, running and flawlessy shooting walkers... AWESOME.

He wasted the first bullet, though, that walker he got was behind shit and wouldn't have been able to get to him anyway.

Mountebank

That scene where Rick escapes the tank, running and flawlessy shooting walkers... AWESOME.

He wasted the first bullet, though, that walker he got was behind shit and wouldn't have been able to get to him anyway.
I remember thinking that he had obviously never played Resident Evil, coz you don't shoot zombies that you can't run around.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Meanest thing I'll say all day: this commercial started playing while I was fast forwarding through the ads on demand, and I hit stop because I thought she was one of the walkers.

Calleja

Calleja

I remember thinking that he had obviously never played Resident Evil, coz you don't shoot zombies that you can't run around.[/QUOTE]

You mean you don't shoot zombies that you CAN run around, right? I agree... he was on the move and that first one he got was on the other side of debris and stuff and would have never gotten to him... that being said, in real life I would have probably emptied my clip on that first one just from sheer panic.. and gotten torn to pieces like the horsey :(

Jay

Jay

OMG

phil

phil

Episode 3 opener is just great! And the previews for the next episode look interesting.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Damn it, I have to wait to watch the tivo'd version later.

phil

phil

Watching the encore presentation now. I kind of wish they had drawn out the reunion scene just a little more. It's just such a happy moment I'd have liked it to last just a little bit longer.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Man, I gotta hand it to those guys, that was a great episode. Love that they're building up the tension more between Lori and Shane. It's going to make the inevitable ending all the worse.

Huh. I just realized something: Rick doesn't have his cowboy hat in the show. That's a shame, since I've always loved the image of his son wearing it.

Chazwozel

Man, I gotta hand it to those guys, that was a great episode. Love that they're building up the tension more between Lori and Shane. It's going to make the inevitable ending all the worse.

Huh. I just realized something: Rick doesn't have his cowboy hat in the show. That's a shame, since I've always loved the image of his son wearing it.
I like how they completely did a 180 on Lori's personality. In the first two episodes it seems like she jumped on the nearest pogo stick after she found out her husband was dead. This episode reveals that Shane is quite a manipulative bastard; it seems he left Rick in the hospital to die because he's always harbored feelings for Lori.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

They did think he had been chowed down and converted into... Hmm... I don't know if that works. Do zombies poop? I mean, all that meat and blood has to go somewhere, right?

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

According to Max Brooks, a zombie's digestive system doesn't work. They keep shoving down meat into their stomachs until it either gets forced out through the intestines (they crap out undigested, rotting meat) or the stomach bursts. Even then they'll keep eating because they will feel the biological need to feed regardless.

I think Merle's going to become The Governor. It'll make more sense when he chops off Rick's hand.

Philosopher B.

AAAUUUGGGHHHH. Goddamn this show. Waiting for each episode is pure torture. :( I really liked the third episode, though! Maybe even more than the 2nd. Even though it was kinda low on zombies.

I can't watch Michael Rooker without thinking about stink palming, though!

Lolz.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Do zombies poop?
Silly Finn! Didn't you hear? Everybody poops.

Joe Johnson

Does rick still have a grenade?

Steve

Steve

Did I hear right when watching the previews? Only three episodes left? Where the hell did the season go? Was this just a 7 episode season? It's going to suck that it ends in a couple of weeks and then we have to wait almost a year for season 2. Argh!

Rubicon

He has it. After he meets up with the son and father in episode 1 (issue 1), once they stop at the police station for them to stock up on weapons and cars, he gets his hat. He's even wearing it as he rides into Atlanta on the horse. I don't recall seeing it in this episode, he didn't appear to be wearing it when they got back to base camp.

Tress

Tress

Did I hear right when watching the previews? Only three episodes left? Where the hell did the season go? Was this just a 7 episode season? It's going to suck that it ends in a couple of weeks and then we have to wait almost a year for season 2. Argh!
They only ordered 6 episodes. It's understandable. They couldn't be sure that a zombie-themed show would work, much less be so popular. The next season is for a full 13 episodes.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Does rick still have a grenade?
GRENADE!

And ah, about the hat. My bad. So, we might still see the kid with the hat. Good. :D

Element 117

I just mainlined the following two episodes off iTunes after watching the pilot on Hulu, in a single sitting.

Goddamn that's a good show.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I can't believe I actually felt sorry for the racist hick. Maybe it was the script, or maybe it was his good acting, but I didn't think he deserved what happened.

Jay

Jay

Michael Rooker is a fine character actor.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I can't believe I actually felt sorry for the racist hick. Maybe it was the script, or maybe it was his good acting, but I didn't think he deserved what happened.
Man.... getting eaten alive by zombies vs.
dying over several days, starving, thirsty, and probably covered in agonizing blisters. I felt a bit bad for him too, even though my initial thought was "Well, that nips THAT in the bud." I kept thinking of all the awful things he might have done if he hadn't gotten stuck up there.

Rovewin

Rovewin

I must say this is an awesome show.

As for the hat, I thought he lost it when he got taken down on the horse. So maybe he'll get it back if they actually do go back for the guns.

Draxo

Draxo

Its been nearly a decade since I felt what it was like to sit waiting for a TV show.. :<

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

The last series I waited all week to see was Rome. It's a good feeling. Btw, here's a scene from the upcoming episode.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

No! No, I will not watch that.

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

I watched it.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Jim looks kinda like a guy I used to work with.

Chazwozel

HOLY SHIT THAT ENDING!

When Ed got attacked leading into the camp ambush - scared the living shit outta me

Jay

Jay

About time they started to thin out the ranks of the whiny bitches.

Ed first to go made my day.

Though seeing the sister die was a dead giveway when the other sister was shopping for a gift and was making a big deal of the "wrapping" paper.

PS: Do women REALLY need toilet paper when they go to the washroom to take a piss? Really?

"I died because I was too busy looking for toilet paper to see the slow zombies eat me alive.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I hate that iTunes doesn't release new episodes until around 2 in the morning here.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Man oh man oh man.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oh yeah. THIS is what Walking Dead is all about. Loved how people were going on (not just here) about how no one'd been really killed yet by a zombie. No big slaugthers.

Be careful what you wish for. :D The comic series is ALL about that. There was a long stint where they were in one place for the longest time, people kept wanting the excitement back and boy did they regret asking for that.

BEST. SERIES. EVER!

Gryfter

Gryfter

Why can't all TV be this good.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

YES! I'd been waiting for the Campfire Incident. It was done even better than in the comic.

And I kinda like Darryl now.

Adam

Adammon

Ok, over the course of the episode this bugged me significantly but the resolution had me giving Kirkman (who wrote this episode) significant kudos.

The gangbangers who want the guns. Talking all gangsta. Threatening our 'heroes'. They end up being nursing staff from the local hospital where they've holed up with a bunch of seniors trying to keep the seniors alive. They've been through some scraps themselves and their positioning was just a way to give the impression of being more imposing than they were. They knew that they really wouldn't have stood a chance against the heroes group.
Talk about turning the stereotype on its head, even with the stereotypical casting of some of the players.

Amy's death
is almost verbatim from the comic. Gotta remember these zombies can be fairly quiet and sneak up on you, especially in the dark.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Only the big guy and the leader were staff at the rest home and only the big guy had any medical training. Everybody else were ether people who came in to check on their parents/grandparents and decided to stay when they saw how terrible it was OR where other survivors who stayed for safety.

Draxo

Draxo

Great episode.

I knew this was coming though.. the camp survivors were being extremely dumb about their own survival.

They hadn't build walls / barricades to keep away stray walkers (they have an excess of available wood and a lot of idle hands) so when the zombies came they could just come out from the bushes all around where they can sneak up unseen. At the very least they should clear away the bushes from around their camp.

I totally expected Amy to zombify in her arms, glad that didn't happen. Was way too trope-ish and this series has been good about not falling into too many tropes so far.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Great episode.

I knew this was coming though.. the camp survivors were being extremely dumb about their own survival.
To be fair, they ARE quite a ways outside of Atlanta, up a mountain/hill, and far enough away that they had no reason to expect more than a few stragglers. That being said, they were stupid to not have moved camp the moment the first walker showed up, or at least after Glenn drove up in that fucking alarming sports car.

However, I would like to point out that the scene makes more sense in the comic, as they appear to be camped out MUCH closer to the city in it, so it makes more sense that so many walkers would have found them at once.

Jay

Jay

Tonight.... zombies.

Jiarn

Is there anywhere to watch it online, without paying for it? I've only seen episode one and would like to catch up.

Jay

Jay

Other than the first segemet, fantastic episode.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't like this turn with the CDC, and not because it's not in the comic. One of the big mysteries of the comic is just WHAT is causing people to come back from the dead. In fact, most of the cast really aren't too concerned with why the dead are walking, instead choosing to just deal with the reality of the situation. By explicitly making it a virus/bacteria, they are kinda cheapening the whole thing.

Dave

Dave

I don't like this turn with the CDC, and not because it's not in the comic. One of the big mysteries of the comic is just WHAT is causing people to come back from the dead. In fact, most of the cast really aren't too concerned with why the dead are walking, instead choosing to just deal with the reality of the situation. By explicitly making it a virus/bacteria, they are kinda cheapening the whole thing.
It's midichloreans. Duh!

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

No, it's because a NASA space probe crashed on its way back from Venus.

Joe Johnson

I thought this episode was fairly weak. Not because of the CDC (though I can see your point). Although, I don't really need this show to become "Lost - with zombies" - ie, it doesn't really need to focus on the "mystery" behind it all.
I just didn't care enough about the "guy who got bitten" subplot, and the "sister who can't let go" subplot. For the first, the guy was a fairly minor character who's biggest claim to fame is getting tied up because he wanted to dig some holes. (which I thought was also a weak point - just let the idiot dig). As for the sisters, I think it would be borderline cruel to let your sister come back as a zombie. All I could think of was, "what if enough of her sister is in their to be suddenly tormented by this virus, so really your just putting her through agony before shooting her in the head". Also wasn't interested in Rick's long radio check-in at the beginning, which pretty much just felt like a series synopsis for a show that's only had, what, 4 episodes?

Dave

Dave

My wife asked last night if anything special happens in the CDC place. My response? "I don't know. They are already doing things not in the comic."

But then I saw the previews for "A Game of Thrones" on HBO (while turning over to Boardwalk Empire) and forgot everything else except my nerdgasm.

Joe Johnson

My wife asked last night if anything special happens in the CDC place. My response? "I don't know. They are already doing things not in the comic."

But then I saw the previews for "A Game of Thrones" on HBO (while turning over to Boardwalk Empire) and forgot everything else except my nerdgasm.
Nice. Yeah, a friend of mine is in the same place as you, very excited for Game of Thrones. I still can't believe HBO is doing this series!

Dave

Dave

Something you guys might be interested in. Warning, though: MAJOR SPOILERS for the comic series!

THE WALKING DEAD GOOGLE MAP - Google Maps

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I kinda liked the episode, actually. There was a reason why we got such lengthy bits with the Andrea's sister and Jim. They both represented what happens after being attacked by a zombie.

Amy, for example, showed the example of how long it takes for someone to come back after just dying. She was still bitten, true, but she died of blood loss, first. Jim, on the other hand, was only bitten, so we got to see the effects of someone bitting but able to survive. They slowly wither away.

As for the CDC, it makes sense not in finding out what happened, but that it seemed like a potential safehouse, since it would be well secured and well-quarantined. It was brought up by the guy that Rick met in the first episode, so it's natural that Rick would think of it (much like thinking Atlanta would be safe).

One thing that kind of bothers me is the lack of development between Rick and his son. In the comic, there's a very strong development between father and son. The son is wearing the hat, Rick teaches him how to shoot (which is how Laurie survives the campfire zombie attack in the comic version of last week's episode), etc. There's a lot of bonding between the two and thus far, the show is missing that.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I thought this episode was great. It was all worth it, just for:

"I think tomorrow I'm going to blow my brains out. But tonight I'm getting drunk.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

:D I was very happy to hear that song from the Sunshine soundtrack. Such a GREAT piece of music.

Gives me chills.

Espy

Espy

Anytime that song is used I get chills and, yes, go ahead and take a point off my "mancard", I get misty eyed. It just moves me. Like bacon moves me, ie, POWERFULLY.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

It's right up there with Lux Aeterna with how prolific it is in its use.

Jay

Jay

Definitely the weakest episode of the series.

I REALLY didn't care for the dead sister at all. And the fact she's standing there like a fucken moron while the zombie is slowly making her way to eat her absolutely asinine. I wanted that character to die as well as she is a whiny bitch. Here’s to hoping she gets her due soon!

As far as the show went, I felt there was easily enough room for another episode between 3, 4 and 5. Some characters needed development and quite frankly, I didn’t give a damn for any who died except Ed, who got some dev time and made me happy when he died. :D

For example, his "wife"? She look like 50... is she a cancer survivor?

As far as the show goes, hopefully the finale goes out with a bang and next season they work on some of the shortcoming of the series and make it even better.

Also, is the volume on the show terribly low? I know I have to triple my volume from 15 to 45 to hear properly. Is that why they can’t hear the zombies coming?

And the gratuitous violence from the Boondocks Saints guy is my favorite part of the show. PS: That would be me if this was the apocalypse.

Kiff

I thought this episode was fairly weak. Not because of the CDC (though I can see your point). Although, I don't really need this show to become "Lost - with zombies" - ie, it doesn't really need to focus on the "mystery" behind it all.
I just didn't care enough about the "guy who got bitten" subplot, and the "sister who can't let go" subplot. For the first, the guy was a fairly minor character who's biggest claim to fame is getting tied up because he wanted to dig some holes. (which I thought was also a weak point - just let the idiot dig). As for the sisters, I think it would be borderline cruel to let your sister come back as a zombie. All I could think of was, "what if enough of her sister is in their to be suddenly tormented by this virus, so really your just putting her through agony before shooting her in the head". Also wasn't interested in Rick's long radio check-in at the beginning, which pretty much just felt like a series synopsis for a show that's only had, what, 4 episodes?
Well, I think they're trying to do a mild season "wrap up" since the whole thing was produced before even getting a season 2 commitment.

The reason Jim was digging holes was due to sunstroke and because of the psychological trauma of his family being eaten alive before his eyes finally coming out. These characters have been on the move since the outbreak and prior to the camp attack, it was the first time they've actually been able to sit down and take a breather. Because they took that rest they let their guard down, and look what happened. Jim digging the holes foreshadows what's to come in that episode.

Joe Johnson

Well, I think they're trying to do a mild season "wrap up" since the whole thing was produced before even getting a season 2 commitment.

The reason Jim was digging holes was due to sunstroke and because of the psychological trauma of his family being eaten alive before his eyes finally coming out. These characters have been on the move since the outbreak and prior to the camp attack, it was the first time they've actually been able to sit down and take a breather. Because they took that rest they let their guard down, and look what happened. Jim digging the holes foreshadows what's to come in that episode.
[/QUOTE]

I get all that, but that was the episode before - which I thought was a good episode. I guess my point was that it didn't make me care enough for the character, that made the time they focused on him in the current episode to be interesting to me. In any case, my thinking this is the weakest episode doesn't make my like the show any less, I still am very happy it's picked up for a 2nd season, and look forward to seeing where they take the show.

Dave

Dave

Is anyone else pissed that the season was so damned short? Like we get a few episodes and then WAIT FOR MONTHS!!!

Kiff

Ok, yeah, I get you. I agree. It's kind of a "linker" episode. Nothing really happens, but it sets up the next one.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Is anyone else pissed that the season was so damned short? Like we get a few episodes and then WAIT FOR MONTHS!!!
Yeah, I wish they ordered 12 episodes instead of 6. I really hope that the cliffhanger in this last episode won't be too huge.

Joe Johnson

Yeah, six is pretty short. But, I suppose it was pretty risky to bring a weekly zombie TV show on - in which case 6 episodes was a decent gamble. I think they did the same thing with Breaking Bad, but maybe that was 12 episodes.

phil

phil

I'm pretty sure breaking bad wad 6 episodes. I think only madmen got a full 12 from the start.

As for this episode I liked it, for the most part. I think my only real problem is that I don't agree with Rick's plan in general.

Even if the CDC is working on a cure, why would you guys showing up help? I know you wanted to go because Jim got bit and you wanted to help him, but you knew that he didn't have enough time to actually get Jim there. So I don't blame the Latino family for leaving.

Based on the preview for the next episode, it looks like this will be the really big diverging point from the comic. Up until now, it's followed the basic plot, just added a lot of extra stuff like the vatos and more minor characters. I'm thinking this guy is going to be a villain. I'm guessing he might infect someone, so he can get a fresh sample to replace his last one. This could really bother me though, because it's just such a sinister thing to default to when it's entirely likely that these new people know where to find a recently killed infected person. Which they actually do. It would be no problem to just go get Jim back. Or at least a sample of jim's tissue.

Kiff

The Walking Dead Full-Season Marathon This Sunday - The Walking Dead - AMC

Well I'm crapping blood in anticipation for this Sunday's full season marathon.

Tress

Tress

The Walking Dead Full-Season Marathon This Sunday - The Walking Dead - AMC

Well I'm crapping blood in anticipation for this Sunday's full season marathon.
D:

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Eat more fiber.

Steve

Steve

Don't know if anyone is interested but Amazon is offering The Walking Dead: Compendium One which is issues 1-48 for $35. For anyone who is wanting to get into the series this is definitely the way to go. I just got mine.

Amazon.com: The Walking Dead: Compendium One (9781607060765): Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn, Tony Moore: Books

Edit- this is the paperback version 1088 pages. The hardback equivalent is split into two volumes.

fade

fade

I heard Romero saying that he absolutely hated that in retrospect. Although he also made the fairly good point that it's only presented as wild speculation from the news anchor.

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

His answer to the question is always, "What difference does it make?"

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

Also, the weak point of any zombie story is the defeat of the regular army, considering that the ragtag band of survivors is nearly always using the same, but rougher tactics that the regular army would. I really thought WWZ had the stupidest attempt at an explanation for this.

Kiff

I heard Romero saying that he absolutely hated that in retrospect. Although he also made the fairly good point that it's only presented as wild speculation from the news anchor.

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

His answer to the question is always, "What difference does it make?"

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

Also, the weak point of any zombie story is the defeat of the regular army, considering that the ragtag band of survivors is nearly always using the same, but rougher tactics that the regular army would. I really thought WWZ had the stupidest attempt at an explanation for this.[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought the concept of shock and awe failing was a pretty good way to show how the Army failed to control the hordes of zombies - especially the battle of Yonkers.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Also, the weak point of any zombie story is the defeat of the regular army, considering that the ragtag band of survivors is nearly always using the same, but rougher tactics that the regular army would. I really thought WWZ had the stupidest attempt at an explanation for this.
Considering the kinds of military snafus the previous administration made in their war against what boiled down to being lightly trained people armed with Soviet-era hand-me-downs, it seems highly likely that the idea of our military being slow to change tactics makes perfect sense. We went through how many generals during that? 3? 4? Also, training is hard to over come... it's one of the big issues with soldiers attempting to return to civilian life. Civilians have no such issues and thus it makes more sense for them to switch to the most effective tactic or to experiment with new ones.

Besides, in most zombie movies, those "rag tag survivors" generally lose more than half their numbers over the course of the film. They aren't doing much better than the army.

phil

phil

I feel like the military might lose out for two main reasons. The first would be the overcoming training, like Ash said, especially in the crucial first battles. Lots of people will go down trying to use body shots and other normal methods of killing an already living human.

The next major obstacle would probably be desertion. If you're fighting a seemingly unstoppable enemy, while you don't know where your family is or anything etc. I wouldn't blame anyone for leaving the politicians in DC that they were assigned to protect behind while they make sure their family is ok.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Apparently Darabont sacked the whole writing staff. Hmm.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Can't say I blame him. The script diverges from the comic in odd places and goes in strange directions (like the CDC and Gangers) and we have characters who still haven't received much characterization (the entire Latino family seems like they were added just to leave. Did they even have names?). The new writing team needs to make their scripts a bit tighter and with more focus.

Also, I'm calling it now: Black woman dies at the CDC. She doesn't have a name, she's not in the comic, and she's not part of any of the groups. She doesn't have a chance.

Besides, Michonne is making an appearance early in Season 2.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Source?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

fade

fade

No I still disagree on the army. At the general army level, maybe tactics would be slow to change. But the army would have the same in-unit communication, and much better cross-unit communication, not to mention training and tactics for communication. At the Lt. or Cpt. level, the word to head-shot would get out really fast. Plus, I thought it the WWZ "problems" the army had broke the rules, because body center-mass shots and massive trauma certainly serve to at least drop or slow down zombies when it's the hero shooting. Not to mention hand-to-hand combat skills, the fact that a bite isn't an immediate defeat of a soldier, etc. And also, the biggest problem of all is that "shoot it dead" is what the survivors do, and that's what the army is trained to do. There aren't really too many new skills needed, except perhaps to shift from center-mass to head. They don't need the stealth aspect that the survivors do (or the unfortunate soldiers in the recent wars the US has engaged in). In fact, it'd probably be better TO attract the zombies. The have no survival instincts.

I really find it a weak link. Not that it really matters to the story. I just find it noticeable.

The only regular army defeat I bought was 28 days later because of the rapidity and ease of infection.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Generally speaking, the biggest issues when considering the Army Vs Zombie scenario are the following.

- First off, the military is NEVER going to believe they are facing Zombies at first. They will believe it to be a simple mass rabies incident or something. This means they are going to be going in with tactics that only work on HUMANS. They are almost guaranteed to lose a not insignificant number of people this way.

- Zombies travel in groups, or are almost always depicted as doing such once you've got their attention. This is both good and bad: It bunches up your targets, meaning it's easier to see them, but it also means that if your not quick, you will get overrun unless you retreat... and you can only retreat so far before you have to make a stand at your supply base. Any outbreak needs to be ended before your supply base is overrun or you've essentially lost that battle.

- It's not just head shots, it's brain/brainstem shots. That halves the area you can hit and you need to do it at a distance if you want to not get overrun. Most servicemen are not highly trained marksmen able to hit targets the size of a coconut while it bobs up and down, 200-300feet away. Most of them are merely competent. This means they need to get VERY close to be effective.

- Bullets tend to be deflected by curved surfaces, like heads. This means you need to be dead on if you want to kill something via headshot or you may risk the bullet deflecting enough to keep most of the brain intact, even if the shot hits. As pointed out in WWZ, this can lead to panic and misinformation about what is effective, which KILLS morale.

- Military weapons use full metal jacket ammo for it's penetrating power, ease of manufacture, and because of Geneva Conventions on what is and isn't allowed to be used against humans by military forces. You don't want penetration against Zombies, you want stopping power, which usually means frangible rounds or hollow points, which are used almost exclusively by civilians and civilian agencies BECAUSE they drop a man much faster (and because they won't travel through the wall and hit the innocent neighbors). This is why "heroes" in Zombie movies do more damage with guns off of cops or found in stashes. Unfortunately, the military doesn't have vast supplies of alternative ammo and no time to make them.

- Lastly, you have to deal with Morale. Generally speaking, military forces have higher morale than non-military ones, but this doesn't take into account the fact that your facing the walking dead, in your home country, maybe even your home town. Your going to have a serious desertion problem, which means less men and likely less equipment, as they will likely taking their kits and vehicles to save their own friends and families.

So really, there are a lot of reasons why the Military is going to lose the first few engagements at least. They WILL eventually get a clue though, which is why any good Zombie Movie ends with the Army showing up to save the day! :)

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Can't say I blame him. The script diverges from the comic in odd places and goes in strange directions (like the CDC and Gangers) and we have characters who still haven't received much characterization (the entire Latino family seems like they were added just to leave. Did they even have names?). The new writing team needs to make their scripts a bit tighter and with more focus.

Also, I'm calling it now: Black woman dies at the CDC. She doesn't have a name, she's not in the comic, and she's not part of any of the groups. She doesn't have a chance.

Besides, Michonne is making an appearance early in Season 2.
[/QUOTE]

I think it has more to do with Darabont's contentious personality than it does the direction of the story considering he wrote 2 episodes and re-wrote/edited the other 4.

Kiff

OH! He's hiring freelancers for Season 2! Hollywood here I come!

Joe Johnson

No I still disagree on the army. At the general army level, maybe tactics would be slow to change. But the army would have the same in-unit communication, and much better cross-unit communication, not to mention training and tactics for communication. At the Lt. or Cpt. level, the word to head-shot would get out really fast. Plus, I thought it the WWZ "problems" the army had broke the rules, because body center-mass shots and massive trauma certainly serve to at least drop or slow down zombies when it's the hero shooting. Not to mention hand-to-hand combat skills, the fact that a bite isn't an immediate defeat of a soldier, etc. And also, the biggest problem of all is that "shoot it dead" is what the survivors do, and that's what the army is trained to do. There aren't really too many new skills needed, except perhaps to shift from center-mass to head. They don't need the stealth aspect that the survivors do (or the unfortunate soldiers in the recent wars the US has engaged in). In fact, it'd probably be better TO attract the zombies. The have no survival instincts.

I really find it a weak link. Not that it really matters to the story. I just find it noticeable.

The only regular army defeat I bought was 28 days later because of the rapidity and ease of infection.
I couldn't agree more. In fact, I don't ever think a zombie infection could infect the whole world as it's always portrayed in the movies. It was plausible in the 28 days later scenario, since you had a nearly instant infection rate, and fast zombies. But, slow zombies where the infected don't change until the next day, etc, doesn't really make sense.

That doesn't alter the fact that zombie movies are fucking awesome.

fade

fade

Yep yep. I love zombie movies.

The original Night of the Living Dead was fairly plausible. It ended with organized posses killing off the zombies. Of course, that was revamped for Dawn, but whatever.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ehhh, I don't know. If you add in the idea that anyone dead comes back to life, THEN you've got a potential problem. Funerals, morgues, etc. There'd be a lot of dead popping up pretty frequently. Then, you've got people who drowned crawling out of different water ways. And of course, heavily populated areas, panicked people, etc. I think a zombie outbreak would be pretty likely. Maybe not to the point of ending the world, but certainly thinning out our numbers considerably. Like WWZ, we'd likely eventually figure out a way to properly fight back.

Also, Fade, keep in mind that the original Night was in a small, rural area. Cities are basically screwed due to crowded areas and who knows where there are dead people there. Hospitals would be the first place that'd be the most dangerous.

But yeah, it's all fun theory to talk about. Zombie movies are awesome, no matter what. :D

Kiff

Ehhh, I don't know. If you add in the idea that anyone dead comes back to life, THEN you've got a potential problem. Funerals, morgues, etc. There'd be a lot of dead popping up pretty frequently. Then, you've got people who drowned crawling out of different water ways. And of course, heavily populated areas, panicked people, etc. I think a zombie outbreak would be pretty likely. Maybe not to the point of ending the world, but certainly thinning out our numbers considerably. Like WWZ, we'd likely eventually figure out a way to properly fight back.

Also, Fade, keep in mind that the original Night was in a small, rural area. Cities are basically screwed due to crowded areas and who knows where there are dead people there. Hospitals would be the first place that'd be the most dangerous.

But yeah, it's all fun theory to talk about. Zombie movies are awesome, no matter what. :D
Well if we really want to get into semantics, the whole traditional view on how zombies work is biologically impossible. 100% completely impossible in this universe. The bottom line being that zombies completely take the second law of thermodynamics, bend it over, and have their way with it.

28 days Later and Zombieland are actually the most "scientifically" accurate versions of anything close to what a "zombie" could be. I always like to think that if there was some way to increase the tropism of rabies in human's to become as virulent and fast acting as ebola is (without the high mortality rate), I could be sitting on a hot ticket to hold the world hostage.

Joe Johnson

But, in most zombie lore a bite is required to spread the infection. I guess if it was airborne, or spread by an insect/small animal you'd have your issues. It's just funny because you always see these hordes of zombies tearing people apart. But, if you tear someone apart, you aren't left with a host who is infected and able to become in ambulating zombie. It's not a game of zombie tag, where they bite your arm once and move on.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I think the thing to keep in mind is that at first, most people just get bit once, what with the hunger just setting in and the recently dead realizing that most people just don't taste that good. A lot of the early biting incidents are a new zombie trying to find one they like. It's not until they get really hungry and they've run out Latinos (who, for whatever reason, are genetically disposed to deliciousness) that they just tear apart anyone they come by.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Well, the rules for Walking Dead (in the comic, maybe not the show just yet) include anyone that dies, period. We've seen people getting shot, not in the head, and come back. Going by that rule, along with spreading via bitten infection, it could turn into a pretty nasty situation.

Plus, the zombies in 28 Days Later and Zombieland were more "infected" than undead, especially 28 Days (which I also love because it's still a fun zombie-esque movie). Someone else mentioned elsewhere that the zombies I'm talking about (the dead, not infected) would be considered "ghouls".

Joe Johnson

Well, the rules for Walking Dead (in the comic, maybe not the show just yet) include anyone that dies, period. We've seen people getting shot, not in the head, and come back. Going by that rule, along with spreading via bitten infection, it could turn into a pretty nasty situation.

Plus, the zombies in 28 Days Later and Zombieland were more "infected" than undead, especially 28 Days (which I also love because it's still a fun zombie-esque movie). Someone else mentioned elsewhere that the zombies I'm talking about (the dead, not infected) would be considered "ghouls".
Interesting. So, in the comic, it sounds like pretty much everyone gets infected through some means, and it's just a latent illness that doesn't come out until the body dies. So, maybe the body is fighting the infection constantly, but once they die, the infection can gain control. I sort of like that.

fade

fade

I think it's true in the Romero-verse, too. It was established fairly well in Land, when the old man who committed suicide turned.

Joe Johnson

Decent finale. In the future though, can we keep the "hold back the hillbilly" scenes to one per episode?

Jay

Jay

Decent finale. In the future though, can we keep the "hold back the hillbilly" scenes to one per episode?
I dunno, there's a special charm to having people attempt to have a desperate conversation while the time clock is clicking while the redneck is totally focused on whacking away on the fire door with his fire axe repeatedly in the background. I counted the crunches, I was smiling from ear to ear.

Gratz on the call.

It was a good episode and I'm happy on the direction at the end of it.

The plot is WIDE open for next season.

How long do we have to wait for Season 2? Fall?

Joe Johnson

I dunno, there's a special charm to having people attempt to have a desperate conversation while the time clock is clicking while the redneck is totally focused on whacking away on the fire door with his fire axe repeatedly in the background. I counted the crunches, I was smiling from ear to ear.

No, that part I thought was pretty damn funny. It's the "I'mGonnaKillYOU!!!", "No, Stop" (three guys hold him back). I think it happened twice with him, and then once with the other cop.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Gratz on the call.

It was a good episode and I'm happy on the direction at the end of it.

The plot is WIDE open for next season.

How long do we have to wait for Season 2? Fall?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the plan I've read is for the series to start up again next Halloween.

The fuck? Why is my text in the quote, it's outside the code...

Dave

Dave

Weird.

Jay

Jay

vBullitin ftw

Halloween eh? Fuck... might as well look forward to play Diablo 3 then.

Jay

Jay

BTW I appreciated the "flashback" to what happened in the hospital, it answered some questions. I hope they do something for the other survivors, those who aren't throw-ins like the black woman or the Mexican family.

BTW how heavy would that gurney be? Wouldn't the undead smell him from across the door? And why is the intro music so awesome?

fade

fade

I found the whole test subject 19 brain scan bit both awesomely creepy and scientifically annoying. Ignoring physics for a moment, that means that the walkers are technically alive. That means damage to their major organs should kill them, just the same as anyone else. They shouldn't rot, and if they did, it should kill them. I know--it's almost identical to Romero's explanation in Day, but I had the same problem there.

Jay

Jay

I found the whole test subject 19 brain scan bit both awesomely creepy and scientifically annoying. Ignoring physics for a moment, that means that the walkers are technically alive. That means damage to their major organs should kill them, just the same as anyone else. They shouldn't rot, and if they did, it should kill them. I know--it's almost identical to Romero's explanation in Day, but I had the same problem there.
That part sent shivers up my spine and the part where they find our that they are doomed... the air will be set on fire, no pain.... those were possibly top 5 moments of the season.

Though the explanation left something along the lines of what you just said in my mind.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Not gonna bother with spoiler text. We're six pages in. Ya'll click on the thread, ya'll better expect spoilers.

DAMN good finale. For a second, I really thought they were gonna kill off Dale and Andrea (two of the best characters in the comic). Soon as Dale sat down, I knew what was going to happen next.

Also, I don't know much about science, but I don't think the brain stem cell activity would mean organ damage would kill them. They're still not alive, either, really. They're basically just kind of going through the motions, following very basic instinct and maybe a small bit of barely remembered memories. Pain wouldn't register with them.

That said, I'm glad we got only an explanation on how they worked not how or where they originated. That's the best kinda zombie stuff, to me. :D

You know what the worst part of the episode was? IT WAS THE LAST ONE! Now we have to wait until next October for the next one! GRAAAAAARGH!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I liked a lot of the subtleties in this episode.

When they showed the doctor guy the next day, in his nice white coat with his hair combed, I knew he was getting ready to die.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Also, I don't know much about science, but I don't think the brain stem cell activity would mean organ damage would kill them.
But those brain cells couldn't function if they weren't, for example, receiving oxygen through blood, making the lungs and heart still lethal shots.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Also, I don't know much about science, but I don't think the brain stem cell activity would mean organ damage would kill them.
But those brain cells couldn't function if they weren't, for example, receiving oxygen through blood, making the lungs and heart still lethal shots.[/QUOTE]

But we already know they don't need those organs: The head of the one eating the deer was still trying to bite things (or at least it's mouth was moving up and down) long after it was severed from it's body. It wasn't until the hick shot him in the head that he died. This seems to indicate that they get energy from some other means than eating flesh or breathing. Perhaps photosynthesis?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Photosynthesis would mean they would be more sluggish at night, wouldn't it? I think they established ghouls get more...lively...at night.

Maybe whatever is firing those synapses is all that they need to function. It doesn't need to be explained. We're talking about non-existant ghouls, mind you. :D Don't stop discussing it on my behalf, though. It's fun. :)

Element 117

can we just get a full season, instead of this 6 episodes biznezz? Show was hot, it should get a full run.

Draxo

Draxo

Could just be the virus is feeding off the sustenance locked away in the cells of the body. might explain why they quickly start to appear sunken and feverish / slimy.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Photosynthesis would mean they would be more sluggish at night, wouldn't it? I think they established ghouls get more...lively...at night.

Maybe whatever is firing those synapses is all that they need to function. It doesn't need to be explained. We're talking about non-existant ghouls, mind you. :D Don't stop discussing it on my behalf, though. It's fun. :)
Or maybe they are more sluggish during day-time because they are soakin' up the sun? I mean, that might also explain why every zombie looks like hell. It's not rotting, it's advanced melanoma and/or tissue changing to better soak up sunlight :D

Or maybe they are inhaling cow farts, what the hell do I know? ;)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

But those brain cells couldn't function if they weren't, for example, receiving oxygen through blood, making the lungs and heart still lethal shots.[/QUOTE]

But we already know they don't need those organs: The head of the one eating the deer was still trying to bite things (or at least it's mouth was moving up and down) long after it was severed from it's body. It wasn't until the hick shot him in the head that he died. This seems to indicate that they get energy from some other means than eating flesh or breathing. Perhaps photosynthesis?[/QUOTE]

I really couldn't care less what the psuedo science explanation behind it is. Its zombies! They don't need an explanation.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

can we just get a full season, instead of this 6 episodes biznezz? Show was hot, it should get a full run.
13 episode second season has already been ordered.

Espy

Espy

Would have been nice if they had done something similar to the first season of 24 and ordered half a season then when the initial reviews came in ordered the second half and aired it a month or two after the first half.

Either way, really glad it's done so well ratings wise and can't wait for season 2.

Dave

Dave

Also....

Only thing the finale didn't beat? The last episode of 'Sopranos".

'The Walking Dead' finale breaks ratings records – The Marquee Blog - CNN.com Blogs

R

Raemon777

I thought episode 6 was really disappointing. It's like they weren't sure if they'd get a full season.... so they skipped right ahead to the finale of of a 22 episode season. I like it when TV structures itself so if it gets cancelled you're left with a complete story... but this was incredibly lame.

There were plenty of stories they could have told with the original Atlanta setting. Instead they just randomly left, introduced a whole new plot thread and then abandoned that plot thread. The worst part was that the "tense, dramatic music finale" had nothing to do with zombies, it just had to do with this random building we hadn't heard of before this episode.

If your ending was going to be "drive off into the sunset," they should have postponed the departure from Atlanta for an episode, come up with a zombie-related climax, and then ended with them departing for the CDC but making it far enough away that reaching it required another 6 episodes of road trip.

Joe Johnson

I agree with that to a certain extent. The CDC seemed like it was supposed to be a multi-episode arc, not just a one episode quickie.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

There were plenty of stories they could have told with the original Atlanta setting. Instead they just randomly left, introduced a whole new plot thread and then abandoned that plot thread. The worst part was that the "tense, dramatic music finale" had nothing to do with zombies, it just had to do with this random building we hadn't heard of before this episode.
The leaving Atlanta bit is straight out of the comics, though it made more sense in them: They weren't leaving to find a cure for Jim, they were leaving because they were attacked by the zombies and it was no longer safe to stay there. They ended up leaving to try and find a more secure location to call home, as far from the city as they could get, even if it meant it might be harder to get supplies.

If your ending was going to be "drive off into the sunset," they should have postponed the departure from Atlanta for an episode, come up with a zombie-related climax, and then ended with them departing for the CDC but making it far enough away that reaching it required another 6 episodes of road trip.
Considering they are likely going to be having a few episodes of road trip before they get to the prison (assuming that's the plan for next season), they had some serious series fatigue if they had had it before going to the CDC. In all honesty, they should have just NOT done the CDC episode, considering it added virtually nothing to the plot.

Tress

Tress

I keep seeing complaints about not enough zombies. If that's all you want to see this is not the show for you. The zombies are merely a tool used to tell a human story. It was this way in the comics, and it will apparently be that way in the show. The real heart of the story is focusing on the people as they struggle to survive. Zombies are not the focus, and they shouldn't be.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ehhhh, I don't know if it added nothing to the plot. We got some explanation into the workings of a zombie (which I don't think has been done before, but I could be wrong). And the doctor character turned out to be very nihilistic. It shows the kind of mental state that people in the world might be turning into. It also gave the people a temporary safe haven, even though it wound up being not so safe (as we've seen with the near-rape scene).

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Tress: This show would be so much better without the zombies. :p

Tress

Tress

Obviously zombies are a defining characteristic, but I'm saying they shouldn't be the main focus of the storyline.

Espy

Espy

The CDC was actually a great idea by the writers and I will tell you why (especially to those who think it served no purpose): The CDC episode served to do one thing, and quite well: It took away any possible hope. They enter the second season with NO. HOPE. Nothing. It has, as they so aptly said, all gone away.

I think it was a brilliant way to show it.

MindDetective

MindDetective

That's what I took from it too, Espy. You could see they were so close to the edge that several people actually gave up.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

The CDC was actually a great idea by the writers and I will tell you why (especially to those who think it served no purpose): The CDC episode served to do one thing, and quite well: It took away any possible hope. They enter the second season with NO. HOPE. Nothing. It has, as they so aptly said, all gone away.

I think it was a brilliant way to show it.
On top of that, even faced with the prospect of NO. HOPE., each of them still decided to move on and not just take the easy way out and die with the CDC (granted, one needed help to make that decision). They've made a choice to go on fighting this crazy, horrible world, for better or for worse.

I'm really going to miss this show until the second season starts up.

[/relurk]

Adam

Adammon

I think it also helped make you feel that there really was not going to be much relief ever again. They found what was essentially a panacea; a locked down compound with food, wine, electricity. And then in one foul swoop, it was torn right out from under them. Them leaving the CDC actually felt like the end of every Incredible Hulk episode with David Banner standing on the side of the road - just pure unadulterated despair.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think it also helped make you feel that there really was not going to be much relief ever again. They found what was essentially a panacea; a locked down compound with food, wine, electricity. And then in one foul swoop, it was torn right out from under them. Them leaving the CDC actually felt like the end of every Incredible Hulk episode with David Banner standing on the side of the road - just pure unadulterated despair.
If Season 2 follows the same path as the comics, they will find a prison that will give them all of that as well. Once the clear it out first anyway.

Adam

Adammon

If Season 2 follows the same path as the comics, they will find a prison that will give them all of that as well. Once the clear it out first anyway.
[/QUOTE]

The prison was the source of a lot more angst as we witness Rick go slightly insane, Michonne's entry, the Governor's dual attacks, pregnancies, psychokillers, etc. They spent a lot of time there, both in comic time and in real world time (witness different seasons, planting a garden, etc)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Here's my breakdown of what I'm expecting in the following seasons.

Season 2 - They go the farm and the prison, meet the family and the convicts (I hope they can get Jorge Garcia to play Axel!), find out Lori is pregnant (perhaps she sleeps/is raped by Shane down the line to make that whole story even more fucked up) . Storyline will likely follow the comics pretty closely, except Michonne shows up sooner (this has already been confirmed). Season will end when Rick, Daryl, Glenn, and Michonne head for the Woodbury. Last scene will be them finding out that Merle is the Governor and him removing Rick's hand.

Season 3 - They'll try to escape, but Daryl will sell them out when they try to leave, alerting Merle to their escape. They get away, but lead the Governor to the prison. They'll probably drag this out a bit longer, with the prison coming under siege, but the events will likely be the same (leaving it blank for those who haven't read that far, do to super duper double spoilers. They'll leave the prison. Season will likely end with them meeting the Hunters.

Season 4 - Finishing up with the Hunters, finding of the Alexandria Safe-Zone Community. The storyline there hasn't been resolved in the comics, so who knows what will happen here.

R

Raemon777

I keep seeing complaints about not enough zombies.
It has nothing to do with not enough zombies. It has to do with the climax of the season having nothing to do with zombies.

Also, I don't specifically think the CDC should have had all of season 2 building up to it. I think the CDC SHOULD have been the climax to season 1 IF season 1 had been a full length season. Six episodes of Road Trip with them going "don't worry, we'll get to the CDC and everything will work out" and then they finally get there and THEN there's no hope... that would have worked fine. But instead we got one episode of "hey guys wanna go to the CDC?" "Okay!" (*a few minutes pass in screentime*) "okay we're at the CDC! Wait, nevermind. Whatever."

Espy

Espy

So your real complaints are... 1)The last episode had "nothing to do with zombies" and 2)They got to the CDC to fast?

Well... It clearly had quite a lot to do with zombies, by saying it didn't all I can think is that maybe we watched different shows. They are the constant threat, the whole episode was about facing them or taking a way out not to mention giving us some understanding about there being no real hope of stopping them.
As to getting to the CDC to fast... I agree with you, it would have been nice to give them some more space but they had 6 episodes and they made them count. It's hardly a big enough deal to get upset about, at least to me, but hey... go nuts.

R

Raemon777

My issue is that the pacing was all wrong. The truly great thing about the first five episodes were how well they understood pacing. Giving us time to take in the desolation rather than throwing a bajillion zombie scares at us at once. Giving various other moments time to sink in. The climax of your season/half-season should be relevant to whatever the characters were doing for the rest of the season and the emotional connections they've built up, not a new plot you threw in at the last minute. Random nameless black woman deciding to die was utterly meaningless - I had no idea who she was yet or why I should care.

The CDC had been mentioned before, but it wasn't anything anyone especially cared about before episode 5. I haven't even read the comics and it still felt added in for no reason. If you only have six episodes, you should spend them telling one cohesive story with emotional arcs that build towards a particular conclusion. There were loads of other climaxes they could have done that would have worked nicely, with or without the same "and now they're heading off into the sunset without quite knowing what they're doing" ending.

The dramatic sad music playing towards the end didn't make me go "wow, what a sad, hopeless scene." It just made me laugh. They already had a world of zombies and zero food to supply them with hopelessness. Adding more didn't make it bleak, it just made it ridiculous.

Jay

Jay

I don't think people will debate you on the fact the show ran too quickly. It definitely felted rushed and some people are absolutely useless or have no point other than being "a survivor" that will get eaten at some point. I hate it as well.

But they only ordered a 6 episode series and took a HUGE risk on a zombie drama. It paid off INCREDIBLY. Here's to them not sucking next season and take the negative feedback and make the show even more interesting.

No sense whining about spoiled milk. It's done.

I'd rather take that than another fucken Gossip Git or Vampire Fairies on the fucken tube.

Espy

Espy

I hear your frustrations Raemon, everyone wishes they had more time but I can't agree that the CDC served no purpose as myself and others have already pointed out the rather obvious purpose it served. It's fine if we disagree though. While it was rushed I think it served the overall narratives arc quite well.

R

Raemon777

I will note that when compared to a random episode of an average quality show, the episode was still good. Just nowhere near as great as the previous five.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

or Vampire Fairies on the fucken tube.
I'm not sure if this is a random shot at the masculinity of Vampire Diaries or if you know a lot about True Blood to hate it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm not sure if this is a random shot at the masculinity of Vampire Diaries or if you know a lot about True Blood to hate it.[/QUOTE]

Everytime I see the Vampire Diaries or True Blood, I secretly worry that someone will make an Anita Blake series on HBO... or at least the first couple books of it anyway. You'd NEVER see Narcissus in Chains or later on TV.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I'm not sure if this is a random shot at the masculinity of Vampire Diaries or if you know a lot about True Blood to hate it.[/QUOTE]
You'd NEVER see Narcissus in Chains or later on TV.[/QUOTE]

I know nothing about this book, but True Blood is often hilariously over-the-top sexual and violent.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Let me put it this way: One of the plots of the books BEFORE Anita's powers became fueled be sex and everyone she knew started worshiping her as the strongest being on the planet (despite the fact she treats them all like shit) involves were-wolf on human bestiality and were-wolf on were-wolf on were-panther guro/vore/necrophilia (Google Guro and Vore if you want to know what they mean.)

Coincidentally, Narcissus in Chains is the book the author wrote immediately after her husband left her and she started fucking a guy half her age. In it, Anita Blake's were-wolf boyfriend starts acting like a douchebag and leaves her, but Anita meets a new guy who's so much better than he was anyway. You do the math.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I will note that when compared to a random episode of an average quality show, the episode was still good. Just nowhere near as great as the previous five.
That's pretty much how I feel about some of my favourite shows, like Dexter or Doctor Who. Even a bad episode is still a damn good piece 'o television. :D

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

COMIC SPOILER
I'm betting they meet up with the Hispanic family again because I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be Allen, Donna, and the twins. Then they'll find Wilshire Estates. After that attack, they'll meet up with Herschel, Otis, Billy, Maggie, and the rest of the farm people. THEN they reach the prison.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

COMIC SPOILER
I'm betting they meet up with the Hispanic family again because I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be Allen, Donna, and the twins. Then they'll find Wilshire Estates. After that attack, they'll meet up with Herschel, Otis, Billy, Maggie, and the rest of the farm people. THEN they reach the prison.
They are definitely going to meet up with Michonne before the prison. Kirkman already confirmed this, as she was a fan favorite and he wanted to get her in sooner.

Also, since the new issue is out...

Uh oh... looks like the Safe Zone might be in trouble. The gunfire from the last issue drew out all those zombies in the surrounding neighborhoods. Looks like they have a Horde on their hands... and Andrea is stuck in the tower on the other side of town!

Seriously, why the fuck haven't these people gone into a tornado siren tower, set up a battery/generator, and set the thing to test every 7 days yet? You'd only have to wait out a group 7 days tops then, as the loud noise would pull them away from your location. Hell, you could stick the broadcaster in a truck or something, then just drive it away from the settlement, broadcast, then drive back.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Been awhile, but things just got crazy in the Safe Zone.

Things are crazy. The walls have been breached, half the group is outside the walls, more than half the remaining folks are dead, and their is no end in sight. Things weren't even this bad when the prison was overrun.

Here's the Death count so far. Only counting the ones who matter. Anyone who isn't a named character is likely dead at this point.

-Morgan
-Sophia
-Ron (Sophia's Son)
-The Mayor

Oh, and Carl got shoot in the face when the Mayor did his suicide run. He's lost an eye and a good part of his face, but he's not dead... yet. Anyone wanna place bets on if he lives or dies?

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I read the latest issue too. I wonder how they'll get away with showing THAT on AMC.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I read the latest issue too. I wonder how they'll get away with showing THAT on AMC.
That'll depend on whether he lives or dies. If he lives, then he'll be shot (possibly somewhere else). If he dies, then I dunno.

I gotta say though, I'm impressed they had the guts to show just how stupid that zombie gut thing is. It only works if your quiet and don't draw attention, but when you have a screaming child... the results aren't pretty. Really, it's one of those ideas that sounds brilliant and will work, but is entirely stupid in retrospect.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Bah! I'm a few trades behind on this still... *meaningful look Dave's way*

Dave

Dave

Two things: OH SHIT, MD!!! Drop me a PM with your info again. I'll get these fuckers in the mail TOMORROW!

Second:

http://io9.com/5822103/first-ever-clip-from-the-second-season-of-walking-dead

Clip from season 2.

Philosopher B.

BUT

will this next season have a conversation about lures

this I must know

Vrii

Vrii

Jay

Jay

Sweet!

Philosopher B.

fuck yeah

Biannoshufu

I am looking forward to this with almost Shego-like enthusiasm. The kind that might not be legal here.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So, I guess Frank Darabont is dropping out?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So, I guess Frank Darabont is dropping out?
It's not official, but probably. His loss really... the show is a big hit and the next director is definitely going to be getting some triple A scripts.

Espy

Espy

Well, it sounds like he's dropping out of being the showrunner, but that doesn't mean he's leaving the show completely. It sounds like he was exhausted after the first season so it's understandable. AMC better get some serious talent in there, last I heard TWD had the highest ratings of any show on AMC so it's kind of their game to lose...

Covar

Covar

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about the show anymore after the absolutely atrocious last few episodes?

Espy

Espy

I don't know if you are the only one, but you are certainly one of the few people I know who thought the last few episodes where atrocious.

R

Raemon777

It was only the very last episode that was bad, but with only 6 total episodes, yes, it had shaken my confidence in the series a lot.

Tress

Tress

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about the show anymore after the absolutely atrocious last few episodes?
Yes.

Jay

Jay

You people will bitch about anything. Sad.

Jay

Jay

One more month to go.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I recently went through the first season again and you know what? I liked it even more. Even the last episode, which a lot of people didn't like, was quite good. I'm now totally stoked for the second season.

Jay

Jay

Going to watch them all again 1-2 weeks before the premier.... so that I can remember everything, every name, every detail.

Read a few of the comics this summer, was pretty meh by it. The show is far better IMO.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Going to watch them all again 1-2 weeks before the premier.... so that I can remember everything, every name, every detail.

Read a few of the comics this summer, was pretty meh by it. The show is far better IMO.
You really need to read ALL of The Walking Dead to really get enjoyment out of it. It's not a series you can really just jump into at any point... you need to know what happened to get that far, ether by getting the trades or reading the reports they put out a few months back. It's my only real complaint about the series.

Jay

Jay

I read 1 to 10. By #8 I was fighting to keep myself interested. Sadly the comic isn't for me but the show truly is.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I read 1 to 10. By #8 I was fighting to keep myself interested. Sadly the comic isn't for me but the show truly is.
I'd say the comic picks up once they finally leave Atlanta. I think that would have been at about the point you stopped reading.

Espy

Espy

I dunno man, if they didn't grab someone by then they probably won't. They had me at issue 1 and they just keep getting better. Easily one of the finest works in the medium to date.

Jay

Jay

Tonight, I start to watch an episode of the Dead Walking. Every 2 days, I'll watch another and reacquaint myself to the show.

Tress

Tress

They released 6 webisodes to lead up to the premiere. You can see all six now. They're actually pretty damn good, too.

Check them out here.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Those were damn good. Can't wait till the 16th!

Jay

Jay

Fuck yes.

Tress.... I like you.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Wow, the acting in these is particularly bad. Especially the dad. YEESH, the kids are doing better than he is. Nonetheless: yeeeeeeeeeesssss.

Tress

Tress

Wow, the acting in these is particularly bad. Especially the dad. YEESH, the kids are doing better than he is. Nonetheless: yeeeeeeeeeesssss.
Yes, the dad is terrible. And I hardly noticed because the whole bit was awesome. :)

Jay

Jay

Alright people, tomorrow night... The Walken Dead is coming back. Make sure to watch it!

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I just saw the premiere and liked it. That scene where they enter the church is just SPOOKY.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Looks like it may not be veering too far from volume 2 after all...
Also, this is the first time I've watched it on television instead of on DVD or online. Holy hell the number of commercial breaks and how short some of the segments had to be cut was annoying.

phil

phil

Oh god the herd scene was terrifying. I mean there's no way to know that hiding would work, or that your whole group would stay quiet. And what if one person had been caught? Holy crap it was good.

I didn't dig a lot of the rest of the episode just because I was hoping things would progress a little more than they did. Still good all around and I enjoyed it as I watched.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

THAT DEER SHOT THAT KID!

Jay

Jay

Just finished watching it, GOOD GOD the amount of commercial breaks was ridiculous. I'm seriously contemplating DVRing it next week and watching it while I fast forward all the junk. The last 30 minutes was insane.

Episode was very interesting but god damn are people absolutely horrid in terms of self-survival. Ripping one's hand on a car door like a fucken noob and I mean ripping the flesh from top to bottom. Getting up from the car like an idiot then running off in the woods and get saved and then NOT LISTEN to what the guy who saved your life is telling you to do.

Also, I expected something terribly bad to happen after they kept dragging the stag scene. The moment I saw the kid walking towards it I leaned over to my woman and said "boom".

She jumped a foot up from the couch when he got shot.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Sophia fits the trope of that scared, stupid kid who wanders off and gets into trouble. I don't like her in the comics, and I'm starting to really dislike her in the show.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

My current favorite character? Daryl of course. That's exactly what your ass needs to be like in this apocalypse.

Jay

Jay

I'm all for keeping a band of survivors but at some point you'll need to listen and learn. If you're going to noob it up, I'm leaving you behind because quite frankly I need more than "knowing how to wash clothes" to feed 2 mouths who DON'T LISTEN.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

-is disappointed the series started up at the quality it left off at rather than the quality the series started at.

Also, let me also chime in about those fucking commercials. Fuck.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

You sure Frankie? I easily felt that was the best episode of the series. Hard to tell with the breaks but as a fluid watch (just downloaded it and rewatched it interrupt free) it's quality is way beyond.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I can't agree, I thought the pilot was brilliant and engrossing. Maybe it was the bad taste the ending of last season left in my mouth but I just wasn't into it like I was at the start of last season.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Honestly, I never count pilots vs regular episodes. They're meant to be "movie" quality and be "more than great" to get green lit for a series.

Jay

Jay

I thought the episode has a decent quality but the retarded amount of commercials broke the flow of the show. Many people have complained about that (here and elsewhere from what I read already). Also, fuck stupid little girls who run in forests. All she needed was a red cape and basket.

I like the show a LOT till they were forced to create a "rescue party". Though I liked the bit about the church and I guess moved the "love triangle" along a bit.

I also thought the whole 5 minutes of cutting in a zombie's stomach was a bit needless but hey, I though it was somewhat interesting they were... thorough.

And I thought the season finale was great. Especially the last 10 minutes where they showed the "events" with the cool music and the "countdown" where they talked and begged while for 2 minutes the redneck kept going at it against the door like a fly against a mirror.

The only episode that was average was perhaps S1E5 mostly because it felt horribly dragged out.

Adam

Adammon

Enjoyed the episode. Astounded at the number of commercials. AMC better smarten up about that - they're ruining a really good show just to make a buck on the advertising.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I think they're trying to make up for the issues with the budget cuts. Sadly, due to this, I will not be watching them as they air, and instead getting them in full HD and interruption free an hour after showing.

Adam

Adammon

I think they're trying to make up for the issues with the budget cuts. Sadly, due to this, I will not be watching them as they air, and instead getting them in full HD and interruption free an hour after showing.
Zombie movies used to be pretty low budget. I'd be curious to see where they're spending their money.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

On Mad Men.

Tress

Tress

Just finished it on my DVR. I didn't even notice how many commercials were shown, so I recommend that approach for you guys if possible.

Great episode. Loved it from start to finish.
Added at: 23:15
On Mad Men.
Pretty much. Matthew Weiner is a fucking asshole, and I wish AMC had told him to go suck a bag of dicks.

Philosopher B.

I really dug on this episode for the most part. This review (chock-a-block with SPOILERS, obviously) summed it up pretty well.

Also, Lori: You go girl!

Jay said:
Ripping one's hand on a car door like a fucken noob and I mean ripping the flesh from top to bottom.
The thing that got me about that moment was how fast it was. I looked away from the TV screen for a second, and there he was, spurting like a fountain. It was definitely a bit ridiculous, but then that dude has been unlucky and clumsy in the past (what with losing the key and all).

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The commercials weren't an issue for me since I 'legally obtained' the episode.

That said, I think the problem with it was that it was just incredibly slow paced. You had a great opening 20-30 minutes with the herd and the last 5-10 minutes were great. Though I admit, I saw Carl getting shot a billion miles away. Soon as it was Shane, Carl and Rick, I thought "Yep, Carl's eating a stray hunter's bullet." The deer confirmed it.

I don't really think Sophia is a bad character. She's just underdeveloped. Right now, she's the terrified little girl. And really, what else would or could she have done aside from run down that hill? She was surrounded by those walkers on the road.

Overall, though? Yeah, it was good. It just wasn't great, in my opinion. Mostly for the pacing issues. The stomach-opening scene was neat but kind of unnecessary. What did they expect to find that would confirm it was Sophia? A bit of purple cloth?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Actually, as someone who's read the comic, I thought something entirely different was going to happen when it was just Rick, Carl, and Shane... but yeah, once the deer showed up it was obvious what would happen.

As for Sophia... she's not really all that developed in the comic ether. She kinda seems like someone who occasionally plays with Carl and that's it. But then again, considering all that's happened that may make sense.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Awesome start to season two.

I thought the stomach search was suspenseful. Yeah they didn't find anything in there but they could have. How nasty would it have been if they'd found the little girl's fingers or something in there. Plus it establishes that the survivors are starting to shift further into the 'these are things/animals not people' point of view.

Also, DVR yo, commercials are so passe.

All in all, I am still hooked and can't wait until next week.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Actually, as someone who's read the comic, I thought something entirely different was going to happen when it was just Rick, Carl, and Shane... but yeah, once the deer showed up it was obvious what would happen.

As for Sophia... she's not really all that developed in the comic ether. She kinda seems like someone who occasionally plays with Carl and that's it. But then again, considering all that's happened that may make sense.
It thought something different would happen too, but I had also seen previews for the second episode so I suspect that particular event will happen further into the season. By the way, it looks like Rick finally has the ubiquitous hatchet.

Comic Spoiler
In the comic, Carl learns to fend for himself and survive. Sophia doesn't acquire any survival skills and just freaks out whenever there's trouble.

Jay

Jay

Next week I'll probably DVR it and watch Boardwalk Empire that plays at the same time. When both shows end at 10, I'll switch over to the Walking Dead and fast-forward past the commercial-fest I had to endure last night to save time.

Adam

Adammon

Carl didn't have a gun but I thought at one point he would have - which definitely had different expectations. That said, what happened to him is from the comics.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I could see Carl getting the smaller gun that Daryl found. It's in his mom's possession right now, too.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I could see Carl getting the smaller gun that Daryl found. It's in his mom's possession right now, too.
In the comics he uses an old Peacemaker, but that little Saturday Night Special on the show makes a bit more sense: It's cheap, easy to use, and nothing to worry about if it gets lost.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Streaming season 2 episode 1 on AMC's website is here

Steve

Steve

Gryfter, I agree. Great start to season two. It follows the comic to a point where you have a good idea where they are going but varies from it just enough to keep you wondering what will happen next. Sunday night is my favorite television night. Dexter at 8 and The Walking Dead at 9:30. Now if FX would move American Horror Story to Sunday at 7 my life would be complete.
Did anyone catch the preview to Hell on Wheels? A&E you haven't steered me wrong yet. I'll give it a shot.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah, I couldn't believe the number of commercial breaks. I swear some of them were longer than the segments inbetween, too.
Also, I thought most of the cast stepped up their performance, except for Andrea, who was every bit as bad as she was last season, if not worse.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I don't like Andrea too much in the show, but they changed her quite a bit. She's supposed to be a twenty-something law clerk. She's well into her thirties in the show.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Its the alternating between extreme overacting or not emoting at all that bothers me, not necessarily the changes they made to her character.

Jay

Jay

I agree, I'm not overly fond of her character. I don't think it's fair though as I'm not fond of any character with no survival skills and do stupid shit... like "try to put a gun back together for the first time" while a zombie is on the other side of the plastic door.

My favorite character by far is the redneck from Boondock Saints. He seemed a lot more... subdued this past episode but he's still entertaining to say the least. And I want me one of those x-bows.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I agree, I'm not overly fond of her character. I don't think it's fair though as I'm not fond of any character with no survival skills and do stupid shit... like "try to put a gun back together for the first time" while a zombie is on the other side of the plastic door.

My favorite character by far is the redneck from Boondock Saints. He seemed a lot more... subdued this past episode but he's still entertaining to say the least. And I want me one of those x-bows.
So what you're saying is:
My current favorite character? Daryl of course. That's exactly what your ass needs to be like in this apocalypse.
x2?

Necronic

Necronic

I've been pleasantly surprised with how they have distanced themselves from the plot of the comic, while still keeping in the general plot.

Also Daryl is pretty awesome.

Jay

Jay

Daryl Dixon yo!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think the only reason Daryl seems awesome is because he's stopped being an asshole. Say what you will about his skills, but people that can't get along with others generally don't last long in groups and going solo is almost suicide if you can be attacked at any time. So he ether let go or wised up enough to stop rocking the boat.

I still think he's going to ditch everyone once he hears from his brother, if not sooner. They never found the body, so he's almost assuredly alive still.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I liked him better when he was being a total douche-bag though... brought some nice conflict and tension to the group....

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I liked him better when he was being a total douche-bag though... brought some nice conflict and tension to the group....
I think they are downplaying him ATM so they can focus on the Shane-Lori-Rick situation. I was legitimately surprised when he helped T-Dog, considering T-Dog is the reason why his brother lost his arm to begin with. It would have been the perfect situation to let him die... and considering he doesn't exactly bring much to the plot or group, I'm not sure why their keeping him on as a character, except maybe to die at the hands of Merle when he eventually comes back.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

For all we know, the next time we see his brother, it'll be as a zombie. THAT could be interesting.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

For all we know, the next time we see his brother, it'll be as a zombie. THAT could be interesting.
That would be a toss up, considering the fan speculation that's he's going to be the TV version of The Governor.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Crazy. Racist. Missing an arm.

Holy crap! Do want!

Jay

Jay

Scumbag Dale

vLANG.jpg

phil

phil

I think Daryll may not be as big an asshole as his brother in general. I'm thinking the reason he was acting out so much to start was just the initial shock of "you did WHAT?!"

I think he knows that this group is his best bet, at least for now, plus he's not a total monster so he's fine helping to protect the kids.

I think his brother will come back near the end of the season and what happens next is going to really depend on daryll's choice.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I'm not sure why their keeping him on as a character, except maybe to die at the hands of Merle when he eventually comes back.
Cause he's black.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Cause he's black.
They are going to have another black character soon enough, as they already said they planned to add Michonne to the cast sooner than she'd appeared in the story, as she's a fan favorite.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Any word on Tyreese? He was onna my faves in the comic.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

They are going to have another black character soon enough, as they already said they planned to add Michonne to the cast sooner than she'd appeared in the story, as she's a fan favorite.
Black Female? Hell yes, it's Rochelle time!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Black Female? Hell yes, it's Rochelle time!
Yes, she's exactly like Rochelle... if she wasn't annoying and used a Katana.

Jay

Jay

HEY HEY HEY NOW.

Watch your goddamned spoilers people. If it's not being shown in the damned AMC series use the fucken spoiler tags, they are there for a reason. I'd like to discuss the AMC Series as per the title of this thread [TV] The Walking Dead.

Thank you.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Spoiler: There will be zombies.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yes, she's exactly like Rochelle... if she wasn't annoying and used a Katana.
My Rochelle > Other survivors. Recognize!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

HEY HEY HEY NOW.

Watch your goddamned spoilers people. If it's not being shown in the damned AMC series use the fucken spoiler tags, they are there for a reason. I'd like to discuss the AMC Series as per the title of this thread [TV] The Walking Dead.

Thank you.
Honestly, the TV show only has the most vague resemblances to the comic. Some of the characters are the same, some of the events are the same, but the TV series is definitely doing it's own thing. As for things I've mentioned... it's all stuff that's been mentioned in interviews about the show.

Jay

Jay

Truly don't care about the interviews of the show, interviews concerning the actors of the show, the directors or the producers of the show.... nor even the comic book in the slightest sense of the word. I just want to watch the series and discuss it here without having people constantly mentioning some random piece they got from the comic book series such as "blah blah blah some comic book person is probably going to be added in a few episodes"... "blah blah blah that was probably gobbity gook who shot the kid"…. “blah blah blah fuck you and your interest in watching the show without spoilers, the black woman dies in the church”.

I seriously think this show needs 2 separate threads and mods to keep an eye on the TV thread and put people in line. One thread to discuss uniquely the show on AMC and the other to discuss whatever else as people have been obviously unable to use spoilers on a constant basis and think only for themselves.

I’m not mad, I’m just fed up of people being unable to appreciate the gravity of the situation.

This post in [TV] - The Walking Dead was brought to you by A FED UP CANADIAN.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

So funny reading that post while glancing at your JC sig pic.

Dave

Dave

Jay does have a point, people. A lot of folks have not read the comic series and may very well never read it. The show is sufficiently different than the book that we can discuss the differences, but let's hold off on the character/future plot talks unless you have spoiler tags.

It's just good manners.
Added at: 15:13
Example: My wife has never read the books but is really into the show. If I spoiled it I'd be sleeping on the couch.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

*pout* Fiiiiine.

But it'd be much easier if Jay just read the comic. Because it's awesome. :D

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

He really should. It's an Eisner winner for Best On-Going series, as well as the winner of several other, less prestigious awards. It's hands down the best on-going comic out there and they've really gone out of their way to make it easy for people to get into, what with the re-released weeklys and the trade compendiums.

Tress

Tress

I agree with Jay. I think we should limit the conversation to the tv show here, and if there is a need we could create a separate comic thread. And this is coming from someone who has all the comics on a shelf right nearby.

Mathias

Mathias

I think the only reason Daryl seems awesome is because he's stopped being an asshole. Say what you will about his skills, but people that can't get along with others generally don't last long in groups and going solo is almost suicide if you can be attacked at any time. So he ether let go or wised up enough to stop rocking the boat.

I still think he's going to ditch everyone once he hears from his brother, if not sooner. They never found the body, so he's almost assuredly alive still.
He never really was an asshole if you think about. He was pissed cause they left his brother (the real dickhead) on a roof to die.
Added at: 18:08
In regard to the situation they're in. Daryl is probably the most resourceful and practical. The rest of the group is overly emotional. Think about what made him a douche.

He was pissed off that his brother was left on the roof
He wanted to burn the bodies of the groups fallen dead.
He wanted to put down Jim before he turned.
He was pissed off at Jenner for locking them in the CDC building.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Truly don't care about the interviews of the show, interviews concerning the actors of the show, the directors or the producers of the show.... nor even the comic book in the slightest sense of the word. I just want to watch the series and discuss it here without having people constantly mentioning some random piece they got from the comic book series such as "blah blah blah some comic book person is probably going to be added in a few episodes"... "blah blah blah that was probably gobbity gook who shot the kid"…. “blah blah blah fuck you and your interest in watching the show without spoilers, the black woman dies in the church”.

I seriously think this show needs 2 separate threads and mods to keep an eye on the TV thread and put people in line. One thread to discuss uniquely the show on AMC and the other to discuss whatever else as people have been obviously unable to use spoilers on a constant basis and think only for themselves.

I’m not mad, I’m just fed up of people being unable to appreciate the gravity of the situation.

This post in [TV] - The Walking Dead was brought to you by A FED UP CANADIAN.
We've been able to discuss both book and show in the Game of Thrones thread pretty well. I don't see a reason the same can't be done here.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

He never really was an asshole if you think about. He was pissed cause they left his brother (the real dickhead) on a roof to die.
Added at: 18:08

In regard to the situation they're in. Daryl is probably the most resourceful and practical. The rest of the group is overly emotional. Think about what made him a douche.

Didn't Daryl make some racist comments too? Or was that just Merle?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Hmm, seems I should have used "douche-bag" instead of douche-bag. My bad.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The sad thing is, I could see Daryl biting it (no pun intended). Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favourite characters, too. But unless he gets his own storyarc soon, as well, I don't see it ending well for him.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

They'd be so hilariously fucked as far as survival with him gone. I'd almost want to see it happen, just to see the ensuing massacre.

Tress

Tress

We've been able to discuss both book and show in the Game of Thrones thread pretty well. I don't see a reason the same can't be done here.
I disagree. I stopped reading that thread for a long time because I got one of two things: spoiled information about the books I planned on reading, or huge stretches of posts with nothing but a spoiler tag. For someone who hadn't read the book and didn't want spoilers it became pointless.
Added at: 15:45
Didn't Daryl make some racist comments too? Or was that just Merle?
Yes he did. He's toned it down since then; all he did was call Glenn "Short Round" in the episode last Sunday.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

But does Thrones stray as much from the books as Walking Dead does? Because the first season alone is unquestionably different from the books. They seem to following the basic major storyarc structure...sort of. The first season was the first book, more or less. I mean, there was no CDC in the comics at all. Or Daryl. The previews for the next episode (or was it for the whole season?) point toward the second book, but it's not going to be remotely the same.

To be perfectly honest, that's actually what I like about the show. Even though I've read the books, I have absolutely no flipping clue what will actually happen next. I have a pretty good idea (Carl getting shot), but there are elements already that are different.

The biggest example, of course, being:

Shane's still alive. Which Kirkman himself stated he wants because he regrets not exploring the love triangle longer in the books.

Jay

Jay

He really should. It's an Eisner winner for Best On-Going series, as well as the winner of several other, less prestigious awards. It's hands down the best on-going comic out there and they've really gone out of their way to make it easy for people to get into, what with the re-released weeklys and the trade compendiums.
Already mentioned I wasn't a fan of the Walking Dead comics after reading 7-8 of them. (I was actually bored).

And to be honest, just like Game of Thrones, I want to watch it on the tube before reading anything. Last night I finished the Game of Thrones book, which was awesome. Then I was staring hard at the 2nd book to start reading but decided to wait.... I don't know for how long... and picked up Zombie Survival Guide as a prelude to World War Z (and I have a good idea they'll fuck that movie up good).

I agree and hopefully people will try better or at least mind to put a spoiler tag and if they fail.... admins take out their hammers and start... hammering.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

No problem, Jay. I've tried to be relatively discreet with what I say about the comic. I think. If not, smack me. Otherwise, I'll try to spoiler tag from now on, like I did above.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Its also $20 a volume here. I've only read up to volume 4, myself.

Joe Johnson

Just watched the show on DVR. The amount of times I had to fast forward through commercials seemed about the same as any other show I record. Plus the first 25 minutes were completely commercial free, so it didn't seem that commercial heavy to me.

I was really annoyed that they didn't find the girl at the end of the episode. Not because I really care about the character, but because I wanted that part of the story to be done so we could move on with other stuff. If I wanted that plotline, I'd watch the Lifetime network.

I also thought it was a bit slow paced, but still enjoyed it and am hopeful for the rest of the season.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

That was a boring, shitty episode. I haven't been super engaged since the (amazing) pilot. At least I'm glad I stuck until the end of the episode for the hilarious ending. The really terrible cocktease on whatever that dude whispered was really stupid and annoying.

Tress

Tress

You are such a fucking hipster. You really are.

Espy

Espy

There was some really great tension in that episode. Very nice. Sad it's the last Darabount episode though.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

You are such a fucking hipster. You really are.
He's proud of it too.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I have no idea what definition of hipster you're throwing on me. Trust me, I am not hating this to be cool or because it's popular. I want this to be good, I generally like Zombie Movies(TM). I love horror in general!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Except that is the only reason you're hating on it, because it was good and popular and it was amazingly well done. It's gotten fantastic mainstream ratings, the fans of the comic books are even raving about the season premier, the only haters, are the hipsters and they veil their reasons of hating it for being cool/mainstream/popular by saying it wasn't any good.

It's one thing to have an opinion based on fact, it's another to have an opinion to be contridictory. That's the defenition of hipster being used at you.

Jay

Jay

That and your opinion generally means shit.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Well, at least you don't have to worry about reading my mind to find out why I don't like things better than I know myself, since I'm probably not gonna bother with the next episode.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Well that's good, we won't have to hear you complain about things that aren't wrong with the series. :)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Charlie needs to leave a tip for Shego, 'cause he just got served.

Jay

Jay

At least 18%.

phil

phil

We We We so excited

for tonight's episode.

PULL IT TOGETHER T-DOG

sidebar: Talking dead. Anyone see? Anyone likey?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Patton Oswalt + Rober Kirkman? Loved it. Especially when Kirkman came out to explain the hiding under the cars bit.
Brian Poesein + Robert Kirkman? Gonna love it.

Who they keep getting on the panel though, that'll be interesting.

phil

phil

So far, holy crap!

The gory child seat and just about everything with Carl now is just chilling

edit

Note to self: take up jogging

Mathias

Mathias

I wish they'd find Sophia already...

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Just when you think Daryl couldn't get more badass. "Shut up!" *crossbow shot to the head, while being non-chaulant*

phil

phil

I wish they'd find Sophia already...
I am wondering what we're supposed to really be feeling about that. I mean she's been missing for...3 days? There's no way she's alive. Maybe she'll just be missing forever at this point.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Maybe the director realized that Sophia's only plot use is as a distressed damsel and they're getting it out of the way early on? Because honestly, how deeply would the story be affected without Sophia or her Mom?

Regardless, we'll know if she's alive or not soon. You can only string people along so long before they stop caring if she's alive or dead.

phil

phil

Maybe the director realized that Sophia's only plot use is as a distressed damsel and they're getting it out of the way early on? Because honestly, how deeply would the story be affected without Sophia or her Mom?

Regardless, we'll know if she's alive or not soon. You can only string people along so long before they stop caring if she's alive or dead.
I think Sofia and her mom are kind of the opposite side of the Carl/his mom coin. One family is strong and able to handle things relativity well, while the other is dependent on the rest of the group to survive. I think they have a purpose and a place in the group, though admittedly it's mostly just to get in the way of the alphas.

You can see it even in the general response of each child's crisis moment. Sofia goes missing, and their first response is to just send Rick and Darryl out, as opposed to sending out everyone in groups of 2 and 3 to look for a missing child lost in the woods with zombies.

Carl get's shot, a situation that no one in the group can do anything about honestly, and we're ready to pick up camp and all go along to this new ranch with strangers. Sofia's mom had to remind them that her daughter was missing, more or less.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Otis really let himself go. He's in decent shape in the comic.

Jay

Jay

Decent show.... found it slow... but picked up at the end. Also, I wish the blonde girl would fucken die already. Absolutely useless. WAAAH WAAAH A ZOMBIE WAAAAH

Oh and Daryl was awesome as always. :)

And I couldn't give a SHIT about Sophia at this point... I also like the Otis character....

Oh... who's the brunette exactly at the farm? I believe she's on Chuck as well.

Baerdog

Baerdog

The stuff with the doctor and his family was kind of nice, I guess, but I was mostly disappointed by this episode. It was slow, not much happened, and the characters were pretty much no better or worse off in the end than they were in the beginning. Hopefully next week we can get some resolution to Sofia and maybe even Carl so the group can move on.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think they are going to be sticking around the farm for at least another 2-3 episodes, if only because it's going to take AT LEAST one for Shane and Otis to get back. There's plenty of drama to be had still.

Joe Johnson

The stuff with the doctor and his family was kind of nice, I guess, but I was mostly disappointed by this episode. It was slow, not much happened, and the characters were pretty much no better or worse off in the end than they were in the beginning. Hopefully next week we can get some resolution to Sofia and maybe even Carl so the group can move on.
I agree. I'm hoping this just sets things up for a good episode next week, because this one didn't do much for me. Just resolve the stupid Sofia storyline, it's a just a waste. Feels way more like a soap opera than anything else.

fade

fade

Fuck all of you. I don't have AMC right now. (And torrent is throttled.)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I thought this episode was a step back in the right direction. My favourite part, hands down, was Rick's conversation with Hershal regarding the contagion and faith. That's the kinda stuff I love: different perspectives on life with zombies. Also loved everything with Carl. In the comic, they didn't stretch any of it nearly that much and I love that they extended it.

Heh, though, as soon as Daryl said "Shut up" and shot the deadhead, I immediately thought, "Yep. Shego's gonna love that."

I have to disagree with most of you regarding Sofia. I hope they find her. If only because in the comic....spoiler time:

She's kind of a cornerstone for Carl. Someone to care for in tough times. Plus, I used to love the jokes his mom would make about keeping a close eye on those two, since they're getting so chummy.

Jay

Jay

So, who do I need to bribe to get a HD AMC channel at this point? Listening to Dead Walking while my TV sound level is at 85 out of 99 when most channels require 10-15 at best is a bit asinine.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Just when you think Daryl couldn't get more badass. "Shut up!" *crossbow shot to the head, while being non-chaulant*
Man I love Daryl now. He has turned into the cool head of the group. He stepped up as a leader when Rick was gone and made good decisions across the board. Love when he pulled out Merle's stash.

Also, thought the scene where Lori shows up at the farm and her and Rick go in to see Carl was fraught with emotion thanks primarily to great acting by the principles. They have done a much better job with Carl's predicament here over the Comic. I never got the sense of loss and peril that the actors portray when it was in print.

Still lovin it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Actually, considering the situtation... they are likely going to be at that farm house for the better part of the season. Carl is about to have some major surgery... they aren't going to be able to move him for two weeks, minimum.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Actually, considering the situtation... they are likely going to be at that farm house for the better part of the season. Carl is about to have some major surgery... they aren't going to be able to move him for two weeks, minimum.
If he lives

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If he lives
It's too early for a main cast member to die... it would also destroy Rick's motivation as a character and he's the focal character most of the time. No, Carl's going to live a long time.

Steve

Steve

I wonder if they will be able to kill of main characters like they do in the comic. When you have producers putting up money and certain characters seen as the star of the show I could see them deviating from the comic for that purpose. Shane is a good example of that. I doubt the main characters that died during the prison camp flee in the book will do so on TV. I'm ok with that, though. Loved last night's episode. Followed Dexter (and I thought of Shego when the cop tripped the wire in the greenhouse in Dexter) which makes Sunday nights awesome!!!
I didn't understand why Shane didn't just take the ambulance that was in the school parking lot. I would think it would have a lot of what they were needing. I also thought it would have made more sense to trigger the sirens on the police car to draw the dead away and muffle their footsteps when going to the trailer.

Adam

Adammon

It's too early for a main cast member to die... it would also destroy Rick's motivation as a character and he's the focal character most of the time. No, Carl's going to live a long time.
I don't know if you've read the comics Ashburner, but that logic doesn't fly there - at all. Ever.

Also I agree Gryfter, Carl's predicament has been handled for better here.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't know if you've read the comics Ashburner, but that logic doesn't fly there - at all. Ever.

Also I agree Gryfter, Carl's predicament has been handled for better here.
Yes, I've read the comics. All 89 issues in fact. My statement still stands. The Carl/Rick dynamic is too key to the show to end it, especially this early in the show's life.

Philosopher B.

Daryl gets the best moments.

It was an okay episode, I guess, though it ended just when it got going. Looking forward to next episode, though.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yeah I totally got used to the extra long episode from the season premier, I really felt like it was about to kick off when I saw credits.

Adam

Adammon

Only 4 episode breaks over an hour; I think AMC may have learned their lesson a little from the season premiere debacle.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'm sorry, but was I the only one that saw the Blue Sky reference? Maks me wonder if Walt's out there being a badass.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I'm sorry, but was I the only one that saw the Blue Sky reference? Maks me wonder if Walt's out there being a badass.
Nope, you were not alone. I saw that in Merle's stash.

Espy

Espy

Nope, you were not alone. I saw that in Merle's stash.
Ha! You know whats funny, I'm so used to seeing meth look like that on Breaking Bad I didn't think of it as anything other than "normal".

Mathias

Mathias

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I honestly see this making it to 5 seasons, then it gets dropped because AMC doesn't want to pay the actors more.

Jay

Jay

Fuck yea

Espy

Espy

I'll take 5 seasons of this. Hell yes I will.

Adam

Adammon

At the pace they're going, they'll need 26 seasons to get to the end of the prison.

phil

phil

Christ there's no way they can do the whole prison arch.

Hell they even cut hershal's twin girls from the cast because of the whole thing with the guy.

Steve

Steve

I honestly see this making it to 5 seasons, then it gets dropped because AMC doesn't want to pay the actors more.
Or they'll kill off a few of the actors. This is one show I would be worried about being too aggressive with renegotiation.

Espy

Espy

At the pace they're going, they'll need 26 seasons to get to the end of the prison.
That is another problem.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Eh, I'm not so sure. As I said before, the first season was essentially the first book. Going by comic chrononlogy, we're already halfway into the second book (skipping one rest stop entirely). I could see them using each season in a setting. Maybe Hershel's farm will be the majority of the second season, the third being...

The prison. Which, to be honest, I found the pacing of the book really dragged for awhile.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Eh, I'm not so sure. As I said before, the first season was essentially the first book. Going by comic chrononlogy, we're already halfway into the second book (skipping one rest stop entirely). I could see them using each season in a setting. Maybe Hershel's farm will be the majority of the second season, the third being...

The prison. Which, to be honest, I found the pacing of the book really dragged for awhile.
It was supposed to drag. The prison was supposed to be their home for the foreseeable future. Why would they leave when they had all the food, water, and occasional power they needed... except to look for other survivors or to find help?

Dave

Dave

Is anyone besides me or my wife thinking the season is really dragging?

Not very many zombies in this show about zombies....

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

There are long sections of the comic where zombies aren't really that important. In those sections, it's usually the inter-group drama that drives the plot... but it's still good because it's the drama is what is always pulling the plot. When you live in a world where a single member of the group could ruin life for everyone else, the tension is always there.

Tress

Tress

It's not a show about zombies. It's a show about how people struggle to survive after society collapses, and there just happens to be some zombies around as well. :p

phil

phil

There are long sections of the comic where zombies aren't really that important. In those sections, it's usually the inter-group drama that drives the plot... but it's still good because it's the drama is what is always pulling the plot. When you live in a world where a single member of the group could ruin life for everyone else, the tension is always there.
Exactly. In the letters at the back of the single issues he'll sometimes address this. If it were issue after issue (or in this case episode after episode) of just non stop zombie mayhem it would get old pretty quick. Next episode is going to be zombie heavy with Shane and Otis escaping the high school with the medical supplies, but then they'll probably take another episode or two break from high intensity zombie action.

Jay

Jay

Pretty much what was already covered but dragging? Really? Comon.

You can't put up a whole lot of zombie action every single episode and personally I appreciate the occasional episode where things "slow down" and go back to the basics. Last week's episode was all about Rick's family with some flashbacks to pre-zombie era... everyone got a bit of time including several new characters. (I do hope the girl from Chuck joins this cast, she's good... and cute... ps don't fucken spoil it for me you bastards)

Next week we'll get some action. I'm sure.

And even with this "draggggggggging oooooooooooooooooouuuunnnnnnnnnnn" some people shamefully feel... I'll take this than the pieces of monkey shit they put up such as reality TV and Drama Queen shows.

Let them fucken do their thing and enjoy it.

At least they're not not fucking it up like Twilight or True Blood where that shit isn't even watchable...

phil

phil

initial reaction:

WHAT THE HELL, MAN?

Ok, so now it feels like things are starting to kind of drag on a bit. We're still addressing moral choices from the end of last season, sofia is still missing and the only real development was Shane's dick move.

I think though, now that the Carl getting shot arch is over they'll focus on looking for Sofia, which will let the group and the plot move forward a bit.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Yeah, that was quite a surprise.

Total dick move. Otis had saved his life earlier in the episode too. BOTH of them could have made it back okay. I think this qualifies as a TV trope "kick the dog" moment.

Adam

Adammon

Taking out the whole "Kick the Dog" trope; in the sense that it's all about survival, probably a smart move.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Didn't see that one coming.

Jay

Jay

I saw it coming the first minute of the episode. I know crazy looks when I see them. Shades of Taxi Driver.

As far as the episode goes... I'm starting to find it a little too slow even for me... especially the Carl scenes (WHICH WERE MANY BTW). Honestly thought, after watching the preview of the next episode where ONCE AGAIN THEY'LL TRY TO SAVE THE STUPID GIRL... I'm not a happy camper. Yes, there are moral choices but I'd like people to make a stand and go, we can't do this... we need to move, find somewhere safe, find food, get a shelter... not fucken run in the woods after a dumbass girl. I also don't like pussy Darryl as well.

I don't think this show has that little content to work with... nor are there many episodes in this season.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'm with Jay on this one. The last two episodes dragged on way too much for too little of a payoff. I don't get why a show about zombies would make me fight to stay awake.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Well we know they are going to finish up looking for Sophia soon... the episode preview made it clear they are going to focusing on that at least. Whether or not she's alive? I honestly don't care. She's essentially a McGuffin at this point and she's not all that important in the comics ether. She's honestly one of the few characters that doesn't add anything to ether format. Her death would honestly make more of an impact that her survival.

Was kinda hoping Otis would have lasted longer. He was a bit more interesting in the show.

As for Shane... that's clearly going to come to a head soon, probably by the season finale at least. I hope they don't change a thing about it.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Taking out the whole "Kick the Dog" trope; in the sense that it's all about survival, probably a smart move.
Except that they spent too much time fighting... they could have totally reached the car in that time.

They really should have done it in another way...

Philosopher B.

The biggest problem thus far with this season is that all the main drama revolves around the kids, neither of whom are actual characters in their own right, and thus are hard to care much about, beyond the initial holycrapthechildren! I also wish Glenn had something to do
other than randomly get religion.

I did like this ep a bit more than the last one, though.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I also wish Glenn had something to do
other than randomly get religion.
Looked to me that he is going to get something to do.... well, someone.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'd say Carl doesn't really get interesting for a bit... but when it does, it'll hit you like a semi-truck.

fade

fade

Well... I wonder how many of you have 8 year old boys. I do, and I can tell you the
bullet removal scene hit me like a ton of bricks. That kid deserves an Emmy for that performance, because I just wanted to help him. I didn't see Shane's move coming, either. I honestly friggin' wish someone would slap blondie Airplane! style with a series of progressively stronger weapons. I mean, boo-freakin-hoo. EVERYONE has had something crappy happen. EVERYONE understands. You're not special, and if you're a functional part of the group dynamic and making use of group resources, the group sure as hell has the right to prevent you from taking a useful team member away, and all she can do is whine condescendingly. I wish on one hand that beardie would've stood his ground, but on the other hand, it's good he didn't, because it would not have been in character.

Adam

Adammon

I do have one complaint from the last episode. The actress playing Lori has decided holding her hand to her mouth constitutes "acting emotional". The guy playing Rick deserves a freaking Emmy because God damn if his acting doesn't get me every single time.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I really don't get all the complaints of it being too slow and not having enough zombies. Seriously, I do not understand that sentiment at all.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I really don't get all the complaints of it being too slow and not having enough zombies. Seriously, I do not understand that sentiment at all.
I'm still loving every minute, so not everyone is complaining.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Favorite line of the most recent episode?

"Waste of an arrow"

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Favorite line of the most recent episode?

"Waste of an arrow"
I never understood why he didn't just climb up, cut it down, and get the arrow back. It's not like he snapped the arrow in half or anything.

Jay

Jay

Should have made the whiny bitch shoot it for a change, to learn how to kill, learn to survive...be godamned useful instead of whining every time I see her and her scrunchy face.

At least the other woman can clean their clothes.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I remember in the comic they had a scene where the women were cleaning clothes and one of them mentioned it was kinda demeaning to be stuck back in camp doing it. The rest sort of looked at her like she was insane and said that it was easy work and it certainly beat the life endangering work the men were doing. It really showed how priorities shift once the world ends.

But yeah... Andrea is falling behind in her development. She needs to get over this and move on.

fade

fade

Should have made the whiny bitch shoot it for a change, to learn how to kill, learn to survive...be godamned useful instead of whining every time I see her and her scrunchy face.

At least the other woman can clean their clothes.
I think we actually agree on something for once. She annoys the hell out of me. Like we're supposed to feel bad for her because she went through the same damned experience everyone else in the cast did.

I remember in the comic they had a scene where the women were cleaning clothes and one of them mentioned it was kinda demeaning to be stuck back in camp doing it. The rest sort of looked at her like she was insane and said that it was easy work and it certainly beat the life endangering work the men were doing. It really showed how priorities shift once the world ends.
Didn't they do that scene in the show last season, too?

phil

phil

I think we actually agree on something for once. She annoys the hell out of me. Like we're supposed to feel bad for her because she went through the same damned experience everyone else in the cast did.

Didn't they do that scene in the show last season, too?
They did. I had forgotten about her husband. That kind of explains her uselessness a bit. I forgot she had been abused for so long and is just now starting to have to live on her own.

Jay

Jay

Rating are down

Halloween weekend saw ratings for AMC's "The Walking Dead" edge down again.

The zombie hit delivered 6.1 million viewers for its 9 p.m. airing, off 9 percent from last week (which was down 8 percent from the show's second season premiere). Together with its repeat, "TWD" tallied 8.3 million.

We're still in normal post-premiere ratings dip territory for the show, which was renewed for a third season last week. Some fans have been getting annoyed with all the angst and speeches, but the ending of Sunday's episode ... that must have woke you up, huh? What do you think of "TWD" so far?

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/02/showbiz/tv/walking-dead-ratings-dip-ew/index.html

Tress

Tress

That's nothing. Ratings would be down no matter what. Some people just tuned into the premiere because they heard other people talking about it, and now those people have gone back to doing whatever it was they watched before.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That's nothing. Ratings would be down no matter what. Some people just tuned into the premiere because they heard other people talking about it, and now those people have gone back to doing whatever it was they watched before.
Basically this. Some people came in expecting this to be 28 Days Later or the Dawn of the Dead remake. These people don't normally watch AMC and thus had no idea what to expect. Besides, it's still pulling in a huge share for it's time slot...

Tress

Tress

Basically this. Some people came in expecting this to be 28 Days Later or the Dawn of the Dead remake. These people don't normally watch AMC and thus had no idea what to expect. Besides, it's still pulling in a huge share for it's time slot...
Not just the time slot, but also the timeslot for AMC. They've got to be through the roof with these numbers.

Jay

Jay

ZZzzzzzzz......

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think it should only be 2 more episodes at the Farmhouse, maybe 3. How many episodes did they get this time?

Adam

Adammon

I am a stalwart defender of this series and even now, while I enjoy the show immensely, it's time to move on. A missing girl shouldn't take half a season unless the show is about missing children. I recognize that it's a bit more complex than that and we're getting strong character development, arcs for Lori, Share and Daryl, but honest to freaking god - there's only 3 episodes left before the hiatus!

Jay

Jay

I'll be crude and say... is this show about zombies or who's hooking up?

My opinion.... great intro from Shane... had shivers up my spine. Love the intro music... fits in nicely as always... then I watch everyone sitting on their collective asses. Seriously, an hour of BLA BLA BLA. Carl starts to feel better, Women who whines wants to be a badass, Old woman tears, Darryl become a bigger bitch by the episode, "Oh please Sir can we stay, I'm a good guy", "Let's go to the town on HORSES, talking all the way and while we're there, random hookup", "the girl who killed season 2 has not showed up yet".

SUDDENLY... one zombie shows up and NO ONE ASKS WHY AND HOW IT FELL IN THE WELL FROM NOWHERE. Nevermind the fact it looks like a Boomer! I watch them find an interesting way of trying to get it out, got exciting for a little while, and the fail exit/ending was best part of show beyond Shane's intro.

Suddenly more Desperate Housewives.... Lori asks Glenn to get a special special something.... and I facepalmed immediately and state out loud "She's preggers, FFS, why can't this show be about zombies and surviving?"

Secrets! Must get the women viewers to keep watching I assume.

BAH

I'm not asking for action packed season and I appreciate a certain slowdown in some episodes... but it's been a few episodes now... and the Jay thinks the the budget cuts are quite evident... maybe will be bold enough to say... jumping the shark?

There's what? 10 episodes? Half the season is almost done. Are you happy where they are at at this point and time? Happy with what was done this far? I clearly see a loss of quality in the show the last 2 episodes.
Added at: 00:31
DARRYL GAVE FLOWERS FFS
Added at: 00:33
AND A STORY
ABOUT INDIANS
INDIAN TEARS
INDIAN FUCKEN TEARS
Added at: 00:38
Also... things I noticed....

They keep all the lights on at night... why? Where is the power coming from? Don't zombies see this? They sit and/or wander around outside with no weapons... heck they aren't even trying to watch out for zombies at all. Also why did the old man tell Rick they don't allow guns on the property yet Otis seemed went hunting around the property with a weapon? Why do they have bloated corpses in their wells? None of it makes any sense to me.

Furthermore, there's no dogs on this farm? This would be a first for me. Or did Otis accidentally shoot them all as well?

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'm putting this show in the "watch through it after the season has ended" category. It should feel insulted for being in the same time slot as Boardwalk Empire.

Adam

Adammon

Generators at the farm Jay, they mentioned that in this episode.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Darryl lost some SERIOUS points with me in this one. They're building him up WAY too "perfect to please everyone" for my taste.

phil

phil

This episode disappointed me. Honestly I can't even remember half of it. While I appreciate Glenn getting to be the badass of the episode, everything else just kind of....meh.

There was really no progression other than Glenn getting some and Lori peeing on a stick. Carl is still getting better, Sofia is still missing, whats her name is still acting like she's the only one having a tough time these days.

I feel like Linus waiting for the great pumpkin when I say this...but I think next week should be better! The previews had Merryl in them...I think. THINGS MIGHT PICK UP GUYS... seriously...I hope....kinda...

I wonder if hell on wheels will be good.

Baerdog

Baerdog

I totally called Glen and Farmer's Daughter "going to town" while going to town.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I thought the story Darryl told was interesting, not because they're trying to make him a sensitive guy deep down as some people have claimed, but because it gives him some more backstory, suggesting he might have a partial Cherokee background.

Tress

Tress

Man, you people whine a lot.

fade

fade

Man, you people whine a lot.
But not as much as the cast of this show.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

See, I actually liked this episode. We got more character development and we got hints at the barn. Oh, the barn. Trust me, folks, that's gonna be interesting. Not to mention that we've got two very oppossing viewpoints on zombies between Rick and Herschal that's been building up from the beginning. I get the feeling that's gonna come to a head next week. Like Phil said, things are gonna pick up.

Here's the thing about Walking Dead that they're honestly doing very similar to the comic: false sense of security with a lot of character development and minimal zombies until wham. Something really bad happens. It happened last season, with the campfire incident, and also at the CDC.

Also, I'm calling it now: Merl's appearance will be a flashback or a hallucination by Darryl.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They keep all the lights on at night... why? Where is the power coming from? Don't zombies see this? They sit and/or wander around outside with no weapons... heck they aren't even trying to watch out for zombies at all. Also why did the old man tell Rick they don't allow guns on the property yet Otis seemed went hunting around the property with a weapon? Why do they have bloated corpses in their wells? None of it makes any sense to me.

Furthermore, there's no dogs on this farm? This would be a first for me. Or did Otis accidentally shoot them all as well?
1.) Lights might be on to attract Sophia. When yours is the only lit building for miles, it does attract all sorts of things. Besides, it's already been established that Zombies can't see well... they mainly use sound and smell to identify each other. If they could see well, the zombie camouflage in Season 1 would have never worked. So lights probably aren't an issue unless the zombies are up close. Still a waste of gas though.

2.) They don't need weapons while around the house. Property is surrounded by a fence. Maggie even asked Glenn and Dale if they closed the gate when they drove to the house. Even then they live out in the middle of nowhere... it's highly unlikely there were all that many people close by to begin with.

3.) Otis was clearly going off the property to hunt for food. He probably mentioned looking for food to Herschal, so he was probably cool with the gun because it was actually needed. Then again, Herschal might be freaking out now that Carl was shot.

As for the bloated corpse... my best guess is it wandered onto the property (how'd it get through the fence?) or was a neighbor who went missing. The broken boards in the water indicate that it simply walked on the boards and they broke. Any other speculation would involve potential spoilers.

On a side note... did anyone else think "BOOMER!" when they saw the bloated one in the well? Especially after it burst?

GasBandit

GasBandit

This was the first episode I've caught of this show.

I was disappoint.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Is anybody else wondering how Otis managed to stay fat in a zombie apocalypse?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Is anybody else wondering how Otis managed to stay fat in a zombie apocalypse?
It's only been a few weeks since it started, tops. Rick wouldn't have survived long without water while he was in the hospital and Lori would known something was up with her long before now.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Latest episode was a bit slow, but I'm still not really getting the complaints I'm hearing in here.
I see complaining about there not being enough Zombies in this show akin to complaining that The Good the Bad and the Ugly doesn't focus enough on the Civil War. Its the setting, its not the subject matter.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Latest episode was a bit slow, but I'm still not really getting the complaints I'm hearing in here.
I see complaining about there not being enough Zombies in this show akin to complaining that The Good the Bad and the Ugly doesn't focus enough on the Civil War. Its the setting, its not the subject matter.
From the outsider layperson's viewpoint, I'll just say - "The show's called Walking Dead. Not Love in the Land of Zombies. What if you tuned into the new Battlestar Galactica for the first time in the middle of the second season and saw it was about unicorns and submarines? Is the desperate flight from destruction at the hands of the Cylons just a backdrop?"

Anyway, it's moot... if you like it you like it... I gave it a shot, I can now move on confident that I am not missing something I'd regret missing.

Espy

Espy

This was the first episode I've caught of this show.

I was disappoint.
If you tuned in to BSG in the middle of the second or third season I feel comfortable saying you would probably never watch it again. Same with most shows that follow a tight narrative like MAd Men or Breaking Bad or the Wire. Judging a show like this on a mid-season episode 2 seasons in a mistake.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If you tuned in to BSG in the middle of the second or third season I feel comfortable saying you would probably never watch it again. Same with most shows that follow a tight narrative like MAd Men or Breaking Bad or the Wire. Judging a show like this on a mid-season episode 2 seasons in a mistake.
I'll tell you this much - I didn't check out Babylon 5 for the first time until the middle of season 3, and then I was goddamn hooked instantly.

Espy

Espy

The exception is not the rule.

But it could just be that a show like The Walking Dead is not for you.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The exception is not the rule.

But it could just be that a show like The Walking Dead is not for you.
That's probably it. I just had slightly higher hopes based on the title and the internet buzz.

Espy

Espy

That's probably it. I just had slightly higher hopes based on the title and the internet buzz.
If you are interested I would start at the beginning and give the show a fair chance. The first episode is... fantastic.

Mathias

Mathias

The premise of The Walking Dead are the character relationships. It is pretty much a drama show with zombies. But this is not far of from the comic books. The core of the story in both media forms are the relationships between the survivors with zombies in the background.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I wouldn't watch a show that stretched a little girl being lost in the woods over several episodes, zombies or not.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Except that's not what the episodes have been about. She's a backround storyline.

Adam

Adammon

I will say that the TV show is definitely following the style of the comics. And the complaints from the comic book readers mirror those I'm reading here. Problem is it's a different medium and a different audience. I wouldn't complain so much about how slowly the TV show is moving if it wasn't only a 10 episode season. A full 23 episode season I'd be more comfortable with a 5 episode arc at the farm. When half the season is spent in one place rehashing the same plotline under the guise of 'character development', that's a bit much. I blame AMC for this, not the writers or the directors though.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Are we so used to TV wrapping stories up in an episode or two that we are disappointed when something plays out a little more realistically?

I don't have a problem with the fact that the main characters haven't found Sofia yet and I am not sure I understand why folks are so upset that there hasn't been a resolution to that yet. In the real world, kids go missing and no-one ever finds them. Is it so far to reach that a kid could go missing during a zombie apocalypse and never be found? The characters looking for her wouldn't stop but she may never be found, or she may show up as a corpse, or a walker.

I think the show has done a good job of presenting why the search would be difficult in the last episode when Herschel shows Rick the expansive forest and the fact that the creek they were following splits. The house that Daryl found seems to suggest that she found shelter for a short while but even that could be anything given the circumstances. It's not as if the characters simply forgot she was lost and stopped looking so it's a plot-line that isn't moving forward. They have progressed the story related to her a little every episode while still moving other plots forward; Carl being shot and the effort to save him, Shane becoming more dark, Daryl becoming his own character instead of just Merle's brother, the introduction of new characters at the farm, etc.

I understand it's an unresolved plotline but for crying out load, the whole series Lost was an unresolved plotline and it lasted 4 or 5 seasons.

I am still loving the show, the writing, and most of the performances (Andrea is really wearing on me, not crazy about the changes to her character at all) and I will still be tuning in each week to find out what happens.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Lost was shit. Also, in entertainment, there's this critical, critical thing called "timing." You deliver the resolution too soon, it doesn't feel fleshed out. You string it along too long, it gets irritating. There's 23 hours a day of snoring, peeing and doing nothing in particular that doesn't get shown in your average TV show as well - and there's a reason for it.

But I might be off base here, seeing as how I only watched one episode. I'm mostly going off what my friend said about the missing kid story arc here while we watched it.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I don't know, it just seems they're stalling and waiting for the episodes run out until some big gigantic twist finale! They shouldn't devote an entire season to that farm.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I don't know, it just seems they're stalling and waiting for the episodes run out until some big gigantic twist finale! They shouldn't devote an entire season to that farm.
I don't think they will be at the farm much past next episode if the series follows the comic (which it mostly has been in relation to the farm). Whether or not they find Sofia remains to be seen.

Adam

Adammon

I don't think they will be at the farm much past next episode if the series follows the comic (which it mostly has been in relation to the farm). Whether or not they find Sofia remains to be seen.
So does Sofia! :rimshot:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ooh! Ooh! New theory!

She's hiding with Rickon Stark!

fade

fade

Story decompression works in comic books because it usually showcases the art as the storyteller. That won't work in a television show. Heroes learned that lesson the hard way.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I thought Heroes' mistake was repeating the almost exact same story structure for three seasons?

Adam

Adammon

I thought Heroes' mistake was repeating the almost exact same story structure for three seasons?
We've been repeating the same prom night joke for 4 years; and we're succesful.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

No, Heroes' mistake was that we never got satisfying endings and they refused to show what a REAL super vs super battle was like until the final episode.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

We've been repeating the same prom night joke for 4 years; and we're succesful.
Not at being funny.

And lol, I know this show must still be really bad if some of y'all are even turning on it. I feel even more smug and glad I stopped watching it after the ridiculous ending to the first episode.

I'll still rewatch the very first episode directed by Darabont, that was really awesome. It's a shame none of the show has remotely lived up to that.

Jay

Jay

Honestly? They should kill off a few characters... start with Andrea and the old woman and we'll see how things go from there.

I feel how other people feel, the show is definitely stretching itself out. I smell filler. I don't see zombies.... I definitely see a sharp drop of production/story value in the last few episodes.

One thing is for sure, next episode I'm taping it. My woman and I were BORED to tears at the end of the last episode.

Tress

Tress

I feel even more smug...
I don't think that's actually possible.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

From the outsider layperson's viewpoint, I'll just say - "The show's called Walking Dead. Not Love in the Land of Zombies.
The Walking Dead also refers to the main characters, as well as the zombies. Many have lost either their will to live or their reason's for living, many have lost their faith, some have turned to violence and lost their humanity, and all of them are essentially just waiting to die. Its not a hard metaphor to figure out. Its even lazier than George Romero's Dawn of the Dead consumerism metaphor.

Mathias

Mathias

FUCK YOU ANDREA YOU FUCKING EMO ANNY OAKLEY WANNABE BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Oh now I can't wait to catch up on tonight's episode...

Adam

Adammon

Well, I don't know if the writers are paying attention to the web complaints but someone at AMC is. We get some character resets, some comic book plot, some badass Daryl and some genuine tension between groups. Also, Maggie. Mmm.

Jay

Jay

Holy fuck, is there a character I hate more than Andrea at this point? She's absolutely useless in group's dynamics. Emo, spiteful and doesn't want to listen/obey others. If their goal is to get me to hate a person with a passion, they accomplished it. When people are screaming to not shoot, you don't. I hope Darryl chops her down with a machete at some point next episode.

At least Shane is conflicted about the way he is and he's doing what he thinks he must to survive. Andrea just reminds me of a child. Literally a CHILD.

I liked the episode, I really enjoyed the Darryl bit as well as the flashback (always love those).

It looks like next episode things may move on.... at least.

Man the budget must be really tight, spending it mostly, ON A FARM.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

The only thing I thought was really lame was "OMG IT'S BITING HI.......... s shoe? wtf?"

Jay

Jay

Prolly was fooled since he was bleeding everywhere.

phil

phil

my problem with the Sofia plot is that I don't feel like it's really been handled realistically.

Are we going to look for her today?
No, just send Darryl out. We have to dangle Glen over a zombie in a well.

Ok, what about now?
Nah, just send out Darryl again. Andrea is feeling mopey and refuses to look for a missing child.

Ok Andrea is starting to come out of her funk, should we all go looking for this child now?
I don't think so, Sofia's own mother would rather just sit around and cry while gaining a crush of Darryl for being the only one who gives two shits about this. Also, women love to cook.

This has been the first episode where it seems like the search has been taken seriously. I understand that there's probably been more to it than what we've seen, but it still makes me feel like even the show itself doesn't really care about this. I'd give it a pass though, if they were addressing other issues more than they are. Again it wasn't really until this episode where I started to get hints at "How long are we REALLY going to look for Sofia, given the fact that she's most likely dead" along with "this is a really good set up, are we REALLY going to just up and leave once we resolve the Sofia issue and or Carl is well enough to travel?"

As it is though, for the last few episodes before tonight's I feel like they've been kind of dragging their feet plot wise. I don't even mean a lack of zombie action either. I understand why they don't have big fights every episode and agree with that decision.

Of course, on the other hand, maybe this is exactly what the show is supposed to be doing right now. It's got us all wondering how long the show is going to spend around a missing child in the same way the characters should be talking about it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Again, this is still more or less the next story from the comic (with Herschal's farm and such). It's just...it shouldn't have taken five episodes to get to where we are. If they had resolved the Sofia plot sooner, we could have still had the character development and introduced what's inside the barn sooner.

Then again, the Sofia plot has brought up an interesting split between Rick and Shane regarding priorities. Again, that's the sorta stuff that I love about the zombie genre: not fighting deadheads but the different viewpoints opposing characters have. Plus, we have at least some reasoning from Rick in his line about looking in that little girl's eyes. Then again, they could have just as easily resolved part the Sofia subplot by saying they're not moving out until Carl is ready.

I'm also starting to get on the Andrea hate bandwagon. It pains me to say that, though, because she's one of my favourite characters in the comic. In the comic, she's essentially the role that Daryl has now as the sharpshooting badass of the group. That said, even though her reasoning for shooting at Daryl was piss-poor, you gotta admit that it was a pretty decent shot for having little gun training and all that sun glare.

But yeah, this season has still been much weaker than last season. The pacing in this episode was better, at least, I have to say. It may have helped that one of the fan-favourite characters, Daryl, was in the spotlight. Oh, and totally called it about Darrel. :D

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Holy fuck, is there a character I hate more than Andrea at this point? She's absolutely useless in group's dynamics. Emo, spiteful and doesn't want to listen/obey others. If their goal is to get me to hate a person with a passion, they accomplished it. When people are screaming to not shoot, you don't. I hope Darryl chops her down with a machete at some point next episode.

At least Shane is conflicted about the way he is and he's doing what he thinks he must to survive. Andrea just reminds me of a child. Literally a CHILD.
This is honestly how she was for awhile in the comic. I assure you, you will hate her less in the future. This is clearly the big wake-up call she needs.

Man the budget must be really tight, spending it mostly, ON A FARM.
It's actually one of the reasons they lost/got rid of the previous director: The budget was severally slashed and they moved production (and losy the tax breaks in the process), but the director kept being adamant about needing more money for production. AMC said no, so he's gone now (can't remember if he left or was fired). The current theory for the budget slash is that guys at Mad Men wanted more money and AMC didn't want to loose it's art house series, so they caved.

I think the big issue is paying for the extras and their full body make-up. There were at least 30 people for the school + the dozens for the highway + another 6-7 for what we've seen since they've been at the farm/woods. That's extra pay + costumes + make-up... it's gotta add up.

I'm not entirely sure how they are going to afford the next season, for various reasons I won't state for spoiler reasons.

phil

phil

Again, this is still more or less the next story from the comic (with Herschal's farm and such). It's just...it shouldn't have taken five episodes to get to where we are. If they had resolved the Sofia plot sooner, we could have still had the character development and introduced what's inside the barn sooner.

Then again, the Sofia plot has brought up an interesting split between Rick and Shane regarding priorities. Again, that's the sorta stuff that I love about the zombie genre: not fighting deadheads but the different viewpoints opposing characters have. Plus, we have at least some reasoning from Rick in his line about looking in that little girl's eyes. Then again, they could have just as easily resolved part the Sofia subplot by saying they're not moving out until Carl is ready.

I'm also starting to get on the Andrea hate bandwagon. It pains me to say that, though, because she's one of my favourite characters in the comic. In the comic, she's essentially the role that Daryl has now as the sharpshooting badass of the group. That said, even though her reasoning for shooting at Daryl was piss-poor, you gotta admit that it was a pretty decent shot for having little gun training and all that sun glare.

But yeah, this season has still been much weaker than last season. The pacing in this episode was better, at least, I have to say. It may have helped that one of the fan-favourite characters, Daryl, was in the spotlight. Oh, and totally called it about Darrel. :D
One, you called it about Merle, noob.

And two, re: Andrea's shot. HOLY CRAP that pissed me off. Ok, I'll temporarily ignore that she almost killed Darryl. I'll put that aside, despite how incredibly stupid it was. She decided to take the shot after being told not to, and basically on a whim while like 3 of her friends were all running out in the same direction.

I don't know a lot about shooting, I'll admit that right off the bat, but I feel like shooting over the heads of your friends as they all run out to gang up on a single zombie is stupid.

PLUS THAT CUNTWHORE ALMOST KILLED DARRYL.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

PLUS THAT CUNTWHORE ALMOST KILLED DARRYL.
I know this is going a bit "far" but honestly? Had he fallen over dead with a bullethole in his forehead? I'd have shut off the episode and been done with the series.

BananaHands

BananaHands

My friend who missed the last two episodes worded it the best: "Oh, looks like nothing really happened? At least they're eating well."

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I liked Glenn's conversation with Dale. "And I read somewhere that, when women spend enough time together, their cycles start to link up. Then they all go super-crazy at the same time."

Mathias

Mathias

I'm starting to see Herschel as a douchebag, and I'm pissed at Rick for sucking up to him like he's somesort of zombie crisis guru.

The show is still pretty damn good to me.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Yeah, but Herschel is their host and he saved Carl's life. Rick feels like he owes him one.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Well until Rick finds out about the latest "development" anyway.

Adam

Adammon

If it's anything like the comic, yesssss.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm starting to see Herschel as a douchebag, and I'm pissed at Rick for sucking up to him like he's somesort of zombie crisis guru.

The show is still pretty damn good to me.
Honestly, I think Rick is just trying to keep this from getting violent, mainly because Herschel did save his son's life. It's also Herschel's land, so it's his rules unless someone wants to put a bullet in his brain... but then again he's the closest thing to a doctor they've seen since the CDC lab. You really gonna put down the only guy who could save your life?

Herschel has them over a barrel and they all know it. That's going to change real fast though.

Steve

Steve

After reading these comments I'm wondering if I should watch the show on my DVR or just hit delete.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I say watch it. It's not a bad show, by any means. It just has some issues.

Tress

Tress

This is still a good show, and the only reason people complain as much as they do is because the show raised the bar. If it was bad people wouldn't talk about it because they wouldn't bother with it in the first place.

Adam

Adammon

The non-geek crew in my office seems to love the show to bits. It's just opening up zombie horror beyond the relatively small current audience.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The non-geek crew in my office seems to love the show to bits. It's just opening up zombie horror beyond the relatively small current audience.
Basically. It's got enough drama and romance to attract women, with just enough gore and action to keep the men satisfied. It hits that sweet spot that a lot of shows can't hit.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Jay

Jay

Pretty much that.

Adam

Adammon

Except she doesn't have her hand to her mouth.

fade

fade

The Walking Dead also refers to the main characters, as well as the zombies. Many have lost either their will to live or their reason's for living, many have lost their faith, some have turned to violence and lost their humanity, and all of them are essentially just waiting to die. Its not a hard metaphor to figure out. Its even lazier than George Romero's Dawn of the Dead consumerism metaphor.
Why does a metaphor have to be hard to figure out?

Philosopher B.

I actually yelled at the TV when she took the shot. I also wanted to rip my hair out afterward when Dale said 'Don't beat yourself up about it.' Don't beat yourself up about it? Don't beat yourself up about it?

It's time to vote her ass off the island.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

When Andrea pegged Daryl I just about had a fit. I expect Daryl to go out killing a horde of zombies with nothing but a banjo.

Adam

Adammon

The sign of any good writing is a passion for a character, even if that's anger. Wanting to see Dolores Umbridge violated by centaurs, for me, was the sign of a well-written character. The fact Andrea's causing so much animosity certainly lends itself to that same theory.

They're not writing her to piss people off, they've written a character whose actions piss people off. I don't see her actions as particularly out of character for someone living in her circumstances, and she is kind of an idiot (But then again, she didn't come up with the idea of lowering Glenn into the well, did she?) but if that's the character arc they have set up for her, so be it. She's a far more interesting character at the beginning of the TV show than she was at the beginning of the comic. It took a long time for her to

become the wicked-ass sniper bitch

she is in the comics.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

It's just not good writing on the "animosity" for Andrea, but also the "love" for Darryl.

For all the whining about "omg they're on a farm forever and this little girl storyline suuuuucks" this is still a fantastic show (writing/character wise).

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Every time Darryl does something on the show, I keep expecting to hear this:

Adam

Adammon

It's just not good writing on the "animosity" for Andrea, but also the "love" for Darryl.

For all the whining about "omg they're on a farm forever and this little girl storyline suuuuucks" this is still a fantastic show (writing/character wise).
Agreed. Even my wife said that Daryl is the only smart, capable person on the show.