[TV] The Walking Dead

The old threads were closed, so I couldn't necro them.

This is just a reminder to all that the series premiers TONIGHT on AMC at 10:00pm eastern.

I can't wait! I have to be home in time to see it, but I've also got it set to record so hopefully I'll see it tonight!

Got it set in my DVR so I'll never miss a show. It's replacing "Sons of Anarchy" in my weekly rotation since Sons has really fallen in quality this season. My weekend line up include "Supernatural", "Dexter" and "The Walking Dead." Can't think of a better trifecta.

Getting awesome reviews across the board. DVRed and looking forward to the end of Halloween festivities so I can shut the lights off and watch.

Yeah, I gotta admit... that was fantastic. The make-up was great, especially on the crawling one Rick shoots in the park.

So give me a number on the gore scale here? 1-10?

My wife likes some scary and gory stuff but nothing too extreme.

My wife liked the first episode, but it caused her nightmares. Now, she doesn't want to see another.

So give me a number on the gore scale here? 1-10?

My wife likes some scary and gory stuff but nothing too extreme.
7? It's not that over the top, but I will warn they don't pull punches.

hmm. I forgot about a scene toward the end. 9.

Over all the show is awesome, very similar and yet different from the comic all at the same time. Great stuff. I love how they introduced Glenn. He was one of my favorite characters.

Probably to much for her... damn. At least I will enjoy it :)
The gore is about the top limit they can get away with on AMC.

Which turns out to be a little more than I expected. Made the edited for tv Dawn of the Dead remake that came on before it look like a pansy.

Not sure where I stand so far on this. For tv, it was incredibly well done. As a representative for the zombie genre, it was well acted and very 'human'. A little slow (zombie slow) but as an adaptation it's okay. I'm a big fan of the comic and it's always a rough ride between interpretations.

If this was AMC pushing what they can do on tv though, I suspect more than less will be cut as we continue through the series.

Also I think his wife and son could have been handled as a cliff hanger at the end instead of what they used. One thing the comic does really well is the cliched cliffhanger.

Even though I'll be "legally obtaining" the episodes as they come out, I'll still be buying, possibly pre-ordering, the eventual Blu-Ray.

As for why they didn't wait until the end to show the wife? It was much more subtle. They showed his ex-partner macking it up with some woman and her kid, so we think "Aw, he found someone." Then we switch to Rick's car, with a picture of his wife and kid hanging and you're all like "SON OF A...!"

I've got high hopes for this series. If they can keep up on the great promise that this first episode showed, it's going to be BIG. I think this'll be as big as Mad Men.

Yes the zombies were great, but does the hero HAVE to be more lucky than smart? Also if my family and friends think I'm dead in the beginning of it all, can my best friend and wife wait more than a month before hooking up?!?

Even though I'll be "legally obtaining" the episodes as they come out, I'll still be buying, possibly pre-ordering, the eventual Blu-Ray.

As for why they didn't wait until the end to show the wife? It was much more subtle. They showed his ex-partner macking it up with some woman and her kid, so we think "Aw, he found someone." Then we switch to Rick's car, with a picture of his wife and kid hanging and you're all like "SON OF A...!"
It was as subtle as a brick going through your window with a note attached saying "This is a brick that has just gone through your window." and then the brick explodes in slow motion Bay-style pyrotechnics.

Heh, okay, but it was more subtle than the "wife and kid are alive at the end of the episode!" that would've happened in any other show. In fact, they would've been saying "Have you seen your father? You know, Rick? My husband?" "No, Mom, I have not seen my father who is named Rick, who is a cop, who we left in a coma."

Come to think of it, that sounds like something on Smallville.

I think one thing LOST did and True Blood does exceptionally well is the big reveal of a substantial shocker/critical piece of plot/action beat at the end of an episode. It definitely entices the viewer to tune in the same bat-time, same bat-channel next week for the conclusion to that reveal. I guess this one felt like it happened in the middle of the episode and ran out of gas. I would have had Lori and Carl throughout the entire episode and then the big reveal would be who they're with and what they're doing, while he's in the tank wondering about them. A little more cliche but more of a "WTF!?"

We also never really got a timeline for how long he was in a 'coma-ette' for. And somehow he grew a beard but his nails stayed perfectly trimmed...

Also,
That whole under-the-tank "I'm so sorry Lori and Carl" hold-gun-to-my-head and OH, there's a hatch into the tank" thing was just downright stupid. Or at the least, overly manipulative.

To be fair, most people don't know that tanks have hatches on the bottom of them for escaping. It's not entirely shocking that he just didn't notice it until then.

Yes the zombies were great, but does the hero HAVE to be more lucky than smart?
Come on that's a TV show and Zombie movie classic set-up. If they were awesome and incredible at the beginning of the series there would be nowhere to really go from there. For episodic shows it can work IE: Burn Notice. But for shows with overarching plot lines it's probably best for the bad ass abilities to grow naturally.

Also if my family and friends think I'm dead in the beginning of it all, can my best friend and wife wait more than a month before hooking up?!?
It's the end of the world and all it would take is a scratch for them to die. I would quite frankly think my girl the paragon of chastity if she waited a week.

Necronic

Staff member
One thing the comic does really well is the cliched cliffhanger.
comic book spoiler, so this will mess up the show if you haven't read the comics
"Well Stranger, around here we feed them strangers." One of the best lines in a comic book for ending a slick. Pretty much every book that involved that dude had great cliffhanger endings.

One thing the comic does really well is the cliched cliffhanger.
comic book spoiler, so this will mess up the show if you haven't read the comics
"Well Stranger, around here we eat strangers." One of the best lines in a comic book for ending a slick. Pretty much every book that involved that dude had great cliffhanger endings.
[/QUOTE]

I look forward to several parts of the comic coming to the show including:

The Governor meeting Michonne

The final assault on the jail and Lori and Judith

Dale's final "FUCK YOU" to the bad people (Spoiler within a spoiler removed...hahaha

Man, so far so good. Yes, I could nitpick.
But you guys have already done that about the same things I would, and minor complaints about overly manipulative moments and really stupid heroes aside, it's looking like it could actually be the show I expected. Which makes for a happy checkeredhat.

I loved the first episode. From watching the previews, I can see that Kirkman has given it his full approval.

What I really want to see is how Tyreese dies. He gets it raw and it's one of the most powerful moments in the book when the Governor hacks off his head.

Something just occurred to me:

They did slow moving zombies amazingly well, especially near the end, when Rick turned the corner and there were THOUSANDS of them. Then he turned another corner and ANOTHER thousand or so. Totally surrounded by sheer numbers. Just like the father said earlier in the show, one doesn't matter, but it's in the groups when they get dangerous.

I don't want to start another fast vs. slow argument, but I think this is a very strong argument in favour of slow. :)

J

Joe Johnson

Something just occurred to me:

They did slow moving zombies amazingly well, especially near the end, when Rick turned the corner and there were THOUSANDS of them. Then he turned another corner and ANOTHER thousand or so. Totally surrounded by sheer numbers. Just like the father said earlier in the show, one doesn't matter, but it's in the groups when they get dangerous.

I don't want to start another fast vs. slow argument, but I think this is a very strong argument in favour of slow. :)
Depends on the sort of story you're trying to tell. I think for this, you need the slow zombies - it allows for more slow development of characters. If zombies were fast, we would have trouble buying any of the moments where there is "downtime" where people are just talking things over.

As to the way they revealed the wife/child, I think it was fine. I mean, as soon as they showed the two on-screen I pretty much guessed who they were, and I think they assumed that most people might. So, rather than trying to make it a mystery, they just got it out of the way by "revealing it" with the photo.

Necronic

Staff member
I loved the first episode. From watching the previews, I can see that Kirkman has given it his full approval.

What I really want to see is how Tyreese dies. He gets it raw and it's one of the most powerful moments in the book when the Governor hacks off his head.
To be perfectly honest that's a scene I wouldn't mind a re-write on. That whole trade was where I started to think the comic had jumped the shark a bit.