[News] The USA Police State will never satisfy its lust for beating, gassing, and imprisoning minorities

Favorite part of that pic is him still holding his open bag of chips
I noticed that. as he just coming our of the store with his snack when they pitched a tear gas his way?

"Shit...all these cops are out in force but I have like no food left in here. I need to get a snack or something. I guess I'll don my American flag shirt! They way they'll know I'm on their side! Mmmmm yeh, these are good chips. Wait...what's that...? OH NO YOU DID NOT DO THAT."

I'm sorry. I am very tired. Alice does not like sleeping during the night.

View attachment 15644

Above is a protester, wearing the red, white and blue, lobbing a tear gas (I think) canister back at the police line.

I feel like this is one of those pictures that could go viral, like that pic of that couple making out in the street during the Hockey Riot or the like.
"Dude, did you shoot a tear gas canister at me? Can you not see these Doritos? I AM EXTREME, MUTHERFUCKER!"

And a poignant text blurb from this: "i just wanted to put this out there since im sure it’ll get written about differently tomorrow."

In other Ferguson news, the girl who was allegedly shot in the head by police during her coverage of events (police say it was a drive-by by unknown assailants) has had her operation earlier than originally scheduled, is recovering and tweeting again, so that's good. The bad is that police took the bullet, haven't bothered doing an interview, getting a police report. Just told the surgeons reschedule the operation three days early and took the evidence. It feels kind of suspicious, though by itself isn't solid anything.

This place will end up being like Watts. 30 years before another store opens. (exaggeration but there will not be any private investing in the neighborhood now.)

Unfortunately I don't see any progress over anything being made over this. Eventually the identity of the guy who shoot Michael Brown will be released, hopefully before IA has to pull it out, but otherwise, I don't know. There are Ferguson support protests going on in New York, DC, and other big cities, and I doubt there will be an Occupy-style backlash because there's a clear demand that can be sated, but for long-term goals of dealing with racial discrimination in the country's police departments? Probably nothing will change.

Maybe the police will be de-militarized. That's probably the most unifying aspect of this because it's something everyone can be afraid of regardless of skin color, even by people who don't give a damn about the racial issues at play.

Maybe the police will be de-militarized. That's probably the most unifying aspect of this because it's something everyone can be afraid of regardless of skin color, even by people who don't give a damn about the racial issues at play.
It's going to be a huge battle, but at least it's doable. Frankly, I believe a lot of the police departments in this country have grown to rely on their toys a bit too much. The big thing used to be officers macing suspects instead of getting compliance verbally, then that turned into officers tazing people at the drop of a hat for similar reasons... now the big thing is using a SWAT level response for EVERYTHING because now they have the equipment to do it. We really need to set national standards for police response, training and equipment, because it's becoming impossible to trust them anymore.

It's going to be a huge battle, but at least it's doable. Frankly, I believe a lot of the police departments in this country have grown to rely on their toys a bit too much. The big thing used to be officers macing suspects instead of getting compliance verbally, then that turned into officers tazing people at the drop of a hat for similar reasons... now the big thing is using a SWAT level response for EVERYTHING because now they have the equipment to do it. We really need to set national standards for police response, training and equipment, because it's becoming impossible to trust them anymore.
The whole thing about "we have to use our budget or it goes away" and funneling that into weapons, they need to funnel it into training.

The whole thing about "we have to use our budget or it goes away" and funneling that into weapons, they need to funnel it into training.
They need to funnel it into a wireless sound and video recording system that officers are required to wear anytime they aren't working undercover. There is NO REASON they can't do this with their budgets, when such a device would cost less than a fucking iPhone per an officer. Public officers have no expectation of privacy while on duty so there is no legal reason why this shouldn't have already happened.

They need to funnel it into a wireless sound and video recording system that officers are required to wear anytime they aren't working undercover. There is NO REASON they can't do this with their budgets, when such a device would cost less than a fucking iPhone per an officer. Public officers have no expectation of privacy while on duty so there is no legal reason why this shouldn't have already happened.
That, too. Allegedly there were no dash cams present during the Ferguson police movement.

I'm pretty sure that whenever police departments enact that, it ends up being "Well gosh darnit, lookit that! Turns out the cameras weren't working for some completely unknown, but highly fortunate reason!"

I'm pretty sure that whenever police departments enact that, it ends up being "Well gosh darnit, lookit that! Turns out the cameras weren't working for some completely unknown, but highly fortunate reason!"
At which point you throw out the case and suspend the officer without pay. It's the responsibility of the police department and the officer to ensure their equipment is in "working order".

But if its a case where the police officer is being charged, its still in their best interests to destroy the evidence.

But if its a case where the police officer is being charged, its still in their best interests to destroy the evidence.
True, but the destruction of evidence in such an obvious and open manner would only make the jury suspicious. Legally, all that needs to happen is to require it to be working at all times.

Missouri Governor put curfew into effect, police in riot gear showed up a couple hours before the curfew deadline, people still wouldn't go home once curfew hit.

It's kind of murky what happened next. Instead of outright dismantling news equipment or gassing reporters, the police sequestered all journalists to a specific parking lot where they're allowed to cover the news ... you know, away from where everything was happening, where they would be able to capture what the police were doing.

Apparently it was stated the police would not be using tear gas to enforce the curfew, only for them to pull out gas masks, shoot canisters at the crowd, have people find and display the canisters, and the police admit they used them. Well, at least they can own up to something.

Also, reporters went around St. Louis getting the opinions of the enlightened populace* to say things like the people of Ferguson have nothing to be angry about, or that it's natural for "them" to loot and protest. -_- Where the fuck do they find these people?

*I guess it makes sense; it's not like the police were going to stop them from interviewing ignorant white people outside of town.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why are people violating the curfew?
The other night they were violating the curfew to continue protesting. On the one hand, the governor announced the curfew and it should be followed, but on the other hand, it was announced to stop the protesting and the police were out two hours beforehand anyway.

No one broke curfew tonight since it wouldn't start for three hours after police started shooting tear gas again. My emoticon choice was because I don't understand why. If they're trying to exacerbate the situation, you'd think they would come up with some artificial pretext instead of just stomping out and doing it, especially since they began gassing the area the police had designated for the media to sit and be good.

Maybe those tear gas canisters are about to expire, so they have to use them up before then.

Dave

Staff member
I am vacillating on this issue lately.

On the one hand, John Oliver is totally spot on.

On the other hand, the residents need to take at least a bit of blame for the recent escalation. I mean, molotov cocktails don't just spontaneously appear at the first sign of trouble. There are people in the area who are dead set at not letting cooler heads prevail.

I'm not trying to blame the victim because the guys doing this aren't the ones protesting (I'd like to believe), but it really turns into an ever-escalating circle jerk of stupidity.

People very rarely listen to 'cooler heads', sad to say. Sure, they'll sit down and smile and nod and agree with your laid out concerns...but cooler heads rarely make changes.

Not saying violence is a good thing but it certainly makes people pay attention.

The governor of Missouri has now called in the National Guard.
Great... now we're going to have week end warriors causing problems. Call me when we actually send in the army to shut down the entire fucking town, because maybe then something will actually get done.