[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

figmentPez

Staff member
WandaVision and Loki would probably be the two shows you'd want to watch for Multiverse of Madness coming up. You probably won't need them, but certainly wouldn't hurt to have information. If you just want a simple fix both shows can easily be summed up for you.
You're forgetting that What If...? is probably going to play a role in the Multi-verse. Though I'm not sure how much information will be specific to what was seen on Disney+.

Yes and no. Mickey Mouse's Clubhouse was VERY popular with the preschool set, and that show ran from 2006-2016, while continuing in reruns for a few years after. Chip n' Dale were semi-regulars on it. So, they may not know who the Rescue Rangers are, but Chip and Dale, for sure.
I'm so old I've wrapped around the time loop. I knew who they were *before* rescue rangers (which I've never seen). Because I used to read their comic books.

I don't...I don't even know how to react to this. Some of this looks intriguing, like having Chip staying in traditional 2D animation while Dale got the 3D makeover. That's pretty clever.

But the voices are just...wrong. So wrong.

The realization that Roger Rabbit is in a universe where cartoon characters are real citizens, because he was a character created in the late 80s for a movie about cartoon characters being real citizens, is kinda mind exploding.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm trying to think of the last Judd Apatow movie I saw or liked. I think maybe 40 Year Old Virgin? Which was...fine, I guess? I'm just not a big fan.
Cable Guy maybe? But I feel you. Apatow made a lot of movies that everybody seemed to like that I thought were just... ehh.

Cable Guy maybe? But I feel you. Apatow made a lot of movies that everybody seemed to like that I thought were just... ehh.
That's how I feel about Superbad. I've never made it through the show, and I've tried a few times. So, here are some Apatow movies from Vulture (ranked worst to best by them) with my feelings on the ones I've seen. If I don't list it here, I haven't seen it.

• Year One -- Boring, predictable, not funny
  • Get Him to the Greek -- I enjoyed this one a lot
  • You Don't Mess with the Zohan -- dumb as shit, but I found it funny and I've rewatched it a few times
  • Cable Guy -- another one I just couldn't get through.
  • Funny People -- With the cast, I went in expecting laughs, found none, but came away surprisingly moved.
  • SuperBad -- It is...super bad.
  • 40 Year Old Virgin -- didn't hate it, but haven't bothered to give it a rewatch either.
Everything else on their list, I haven't even seen. I guess I know the Apatow name, but based on the above, I wouldn't personally use it to judge whether I want to see any up and coming flick of his.

That's how I feel about Superbad. I've never made it through the show, and I've tried a few times. So, here are some Apatow movies from Vulture (ranked worst to best by them) with my feelings on the ones I've seen. If I don't list it here, I haven't seen it.

• You Don't Mess with the Zohan -- dumb as shit, but I found it funny and I've rewatched it a few times
  • Funny People -- With the cast, I went in expecting laughs, found none, but came away surprisingly moved.
  • 40 Year Old Virgin -- didn't hate it, but haven't bothered to give it a rewatch either.
Everything else on their list, I haven't even seen. I guess I know the Apatow name, but based on the above, I wouldn't personally use it to judge whether I want to see any up and coming flick of his.
From that list, I think my favorite is probably Heavyweights, which is a pretty fun kids movie with Ben Stiller as the primary antagonist. It's about kids being sent to a Fat Camp, but instead of being run by the ultra chill and positive couple that did it before, it's been bought by an insane work-out guru intent to turn the camp into the flagship of his new program. If you've seen Dodgeball, it's basically the same character except Ben Stiller did it here first.

My opinion is almost exactly this, although I only watched Zohan once, and skipped Funny People. The only Apatow production I really loved and watched many times was Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and iirc, he was only a producer on that. (Probably also why I really liked Get Him to the Greek.)

He was only a producer of most of the mentioned movies. I only watched some but most were more miss than hits.

Of this list, yeah, he was also director of 40-Year-Old Virgin, Funny People, but also Knocked Up, This is Forty, and Trainwreck, which honestly weren't great movies to me, either.

I'm going to amend my previous post: I forgot he directed/produced Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared, and was a producer for The Critic. Those shows were really great and it was a shame they didn't find enough of an audience. But most of his IMDB list is stuff I'd rather skip or didn't get into.