[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

The still image and title made me think it was going to be a comedy about two friends who go through bad break-ups at the same time and decided to swear off men, go live to the fullest, eat pray love etc., maybe Thelma and Louise joke at some point.

... I could not have been more wrong.

GasBandit

Staff member
No matter what I see I just can't get excited about the Warcraft movie, despite being an OG warcraft fan from the first game. I think it has something to do with how it started off as an amusing pastiche/satire of common fantasy tropes but then somewhere between Warcraft 3 and WOW the lore started twisting itself into knots to climb up its own ass, and they started trying to get too complicated, they decided to retcon/rehabilitate the Horde into some kind of misunderstood shamanistic tribal hippy bullshit commune thing (Very un-orky, if'n youz gitz be askin' me) and then rewrote their own lore on the Dranei at least twice, and I could go on and on about how Night Elves were the beginning of the end of my interest in Warcraft lore and then they started coming up with creation myths that felt like something a super-emo teen would invent if he got paid by the word.

All in all, I think I'm looking forward to it even less than I was Superman vs Batman.

At this point I'm just hoping for a fun fantasy flick, Blizz does circles with their lore so often that there's no real cohesion to it anymore. I'll probably check it out when it hits the cheap theater in town.

No matter what I see I just can't get excited about the Warcraft movie, despite being an OG warcraft fan from the first game. I think it has something to do with how it started off as an amusing pastiche/satire of common fantasy tropes but then somewhere between Warcraft 3 and WOW the lore started twisting itself into knots to climb up its own ass, and they started trying to get too complicated, they decided to retcon/rehabilitate the Horde into some kind of misunderstood shamanistic tribal hippy bullshit commune thing (Very un-orky, if'n youz gitz be askin' me) and then rewrote their own lore on the Dranei at least twice, and I could go on and on about how Night Elves were the beginning of the end of my interest in Warcraft lore and then they started coming up with creation myths that felt like something a super-emo teen would invent if he got paid by the word.

All in all, I think I'm looking forward to it even less than I was Superman vs Batman.
To be fair, Blizzard had intended this for the Horde since before War 3... they had that whole "Warcraft Adventures" game almost completed before it got cancelled and basically all of the Horde's rehabilitation (and Thrall's characterization) comes from that.

But yes... they ain't so orky no more.

To be fair, Blizzard had intended this for the Horde since before War 3... they had that whole "Warcraft Adventures" game almost completed before it got cancelled and basically all of the Horde's rehabilitation (and Thrall's characterization) comes from that.

But yes... they ain't so orky no more.

Garrosh was supposed to make the horde great again... but we know how that turned out.

somewhere between Warcraft 3 and WOW the lore started twisting itself into knots to climb up its own ass, and they started trying to get too complicated, they decided to retcon/rehabilitate the Horde into some kind of misunderstood shamanistic tribal hippy bullshit commune thing
I agree with this part 100%.
WC1 was basically shirts v. skins. Both sides were 100% equal, the Orcs v. Humans part was just so you could tell which team was which.
WC2 shook up the gameplay, but the lore was pretty clear-cut. The sides had different abilities, but they were balanced (like Starcraft). Humans were honorable, stalwart, and technological, while the orcs were destructive, raging, and greedy. You played the one you most identified with.
Then the dark portal had to come along and screw everything up.

This trailer makes it look to me like they're trying to make a World of Warcraft: Avatar movie. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the film, whenever that might be.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
This trailer makes it look to me like they're trying to make a World of Warcraft: Avatar movie. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the film, whenever that might be.

--Patrick
Yeah, I got the Avatar vibe, too. Nyeh.

GasBandit

Staff member
I will say that the movie does look very pretty though.
That's not enough any more. Every movie looks pretty. CGI that would have been considered mindblowing 20 years ago is now baseline minimum expectations. Hell, the amateur shit I put on youtube would have been revolutionary then, too.

Hah, remember Lawnmower Man?

That's not enough any more. Every movie looks pretty. CGI that would have been considered mindblowing 20 years ago is now baseline minimum expectations. Hell, the amateur shit I put on youtube would have been revolutionary then, too.

Hah, remember Lawnmower Man?

Oh I agree completely. The trailers so far haven't sold me on this being an interesting movie, and I probably won't see it in theaters. But I have to acknowledge that the visuals are quite appealing.

Almost sounds like....

Final Fantasy Spirits Within.
Yep, that's another movie that I thought was quite pretty and yet never watched. The level of photorealism back then blew my mind.

True story, I had a teenaged crush on Aki Ross.

The only thing I ever remember about Spirits Within is this lady in the theater getting really upset that the black character died. The group is being chased by one of those spirit things and she was screaming "OH GOD NO DON'T KILL MY BABY, OH NOOOO!"

I am SO FUCKING IN. Really love these pulpy remakes of classic Westerns.

EDIT: And of course, this gives me an idea for a DC movie. You guys want to do something dark? Do a SEVEN SOLDIERS OF VICTORY movie and play it like Magnificent 7/Seven Samurai.

EDIT: And of course, this gives me an idea for a DC movie. You guys want to do something dark? Do a SEVEN SOLDIERS OF VICTORY movie and play it like Magnificent 7/Seven Samurai.
Or you know, Suicide Squad as a super-powered version of the Dirty Dozen.

Okay, my interest is piqued. But part of me misses the icon theme music. (I hope they slip it in somewhere.)

I saw Denzel and Chris Pratt as the leads and my interest piqued. Trailer looked okay. I'm going to go in with the expectation of it being aanother Seven Samurai retelling and not just a remake of the 1960 movie. The latter will only lead me to disappointment and unfair comparisons to Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen. The old one isn't going anywhere and I can still watch it.

I... kind of want to see this. Like, having Adam Sandler not pretend to be the "Oh, he's a little awkward and kind of a jerk but he's really a good guy" shmuck he usually plays and instead have him be the unapologetic psychotic just turns him into a better actor.

I saw Denzel and Chris Pratt as the leads and my interest piqued. Trailer looked okay. I'm going to go in with the expectation of it being aanother Seven Samurai retelling and not just a remake of the 1960 movie. The latter will only lead me to disappointment and unfair comparisons to Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen. The old one isn't going anywhere and I can still watch it.
Probably the right idea. The villain looks like Mr. Business suit guy, as opposed to Eli Wallach's band of raiders. I have a feeling that'll make the plot more complicated than it needs to be, more Once Upon a Time in the West than Magnificent Seven.

I don't think this new one looks all that great.