[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

Couldn't they have just set it not in the immediate present?
That would've been a good idea. Maybe they thought the audience wouldn't remember flip phones. It wouldn't have been hard to throw in a title card "2006" or whatever at the bottom.

Oh goodie, another "they're not zombies!" zombie movie.
Well, there's reasons for that, and what the book does with it is pretty disturbing. I doubt the movie will get into any of those interesting ideas or creepy moments because this is a Stephen King adaptation. I can tell just by the trailers "guns, guns, shoot 'em up" clips. There were reasons in the book that wasn't a good idea, and that's also going to be ignored because this movie probably only got out of development hell because of The Walking Dead, which means it needs to emulate that instead of its source material.

For anyone who hasn't read the book, isn't planning to see the movie, and doesn't care about spoilers:

The title has a double-meaning. Obviously the signal that drives people crazy is spread through cell phones, but the survivors figure that out pretty early on. By the first night, there are broken cell phones on the ground where people have gathered, so that's out of the story early on (mostly).

The important part is what's happened to the people affected by the signal. At first, their brains seem wiped of all higher function, so they act like rage zombies/infected. But by the next day they're forming herds, new patterns of behavior. Each human being is a cell of a larger mental organism, essentially a hivemind between them. One of the creepy moments for me was when the main characters come across a football stadium filled with the infected, all lying around, and they hear the sound of the people blinking in unison. That's what the title is mainly alluding to; people no longer being individuals, just cells of a larger function. They still attack the uninfected at first, but then things get fucked up as the infected hivemind begins to draw in the uninfected, so there's not just the obvious risk of death in a zombie-type situation, but the erasure of your mind, individuality, who you are, etc. to then serve a different will.

They'll do some of that in the movie at least, because they're following the books, but you can see why gunning them down isn't going to work. I don't want to shit on the movie over just the trailer; just little details are making me think this is largely going to be a generic rage zombie movie. Not sure if I'm going to see it, but maybe I'll re-read the book soon.

Ladies and gents, Assassin's Creed.

The visuals look pretty decent, and it appears they're quite faithful to the games. Although the premise of the animus sounds really silly when spoken aloud, for some reason.

As long as they can change the musical score, then I'm in. Hopefully, it won't have that ridiculous rap crap. I was down for this movie until that hit.

Ehhh I'm with Dunkey on this one. Y'all know it's gonna be 92 minutes of a dude walking behind another dude, right? :p

That reminds me of MC Chris talking about Kingdom Hearts and RE4 - the difference between a much shorter game that is consistently fun and engaging, and a JRPG.

As long as they can change the musical score, then I'm in. Hopefully, it won't have that ridiculous rap crap. I was down for this movie until that hit.
Perhaps you would prefer this version then, with the Ezio's Family track from Assassin's Creed 2. I know I do.

Ladies and gents, Assassin's Creed.

The visuals look pretty decent, and it appears they're quite faithful to the games. Although the premise of the animus sounds really silly when spoken aloud, for some reason.
Wow I did not see the Spanish Inquisition coming......

Dave

Staff member
Oh come on. Someone as obviously talented as that rap artist who can deftly rhyme God with God and also (in the next two lines) also rhyme it with God and God. Genius![DOUBLEPOST=1463065529,1463065444][/DOUBLEPOST]Or should I have said, "Gah with Gah, Gah, and Gah." No D's were enunciated in the making of that lyric.

That's like, your opinion, man.

And that song sucks. I thought it sucked before I found out it was Kanye. Besides, I find your taste in music highly suspect.
Kanye actually does rule. I don't like the guy, because he's a supreme asshole, but I can't deny that he's a musical genius. Though, if you're not find of the genre, it certainly makes sense that someone wouldn't see that. I can't see what's so great about Jackson Pollock.

Can we all at least agree that regardless of Kanye's merits as a musician, rap music is a rather incongruous choice for a movie set in the Spanish Inquisition?

If internet folk aren't already doing it, I could totally see just adding random pop music to the Assassin's Creed trailer become its own video meme.

I liked Kanye's "The College Dropout" album. He had just had surgery for his jaw after his accident, he seemed to have been humbled by the incident, and his songs actually had some depth to them.
Then he got big, and so did his ego. Now he's just a self-indulgent, egomaniacal douche nozzle.

I liked Kanye's "The College Dropout" album. He had just had surgery for his jaw after his accident, he seemed to have been humbled by the incident, and his songs actually had some depth to them.
Then he got big, and so did his ego. Now he's just a self-indulgent, egomaniacal douche nozzle.
I think he's probably also bipolar. It would explain his 'super ego' manic episodes, which is also when he seems to have the most energy to create, followed by falling off the face of the planet for a bit or spending all of his time thrashing incoherently on twitter.

Can we all at least agree that regardless of Kanye's merits as a musician, rap music is a rather incongruous choice for a movie set in the Spanish Inquisition?
That's exactly it. Say whatever you will about Kanye, but it's completely tonally out of whack with the trailer and the movie setting.

Of course, nothing really matters with that talentless hack since he seems to get his jollies off beating up women.

Are you thinking of Chris Brown, perhaps?
No, I don't think so? I thought Kanye was rumoured to be violent, too? If not, then I'm mistaken and retract my statement.

I still don't like his music and definitely think it's a terrible match for an Assassin's Creed trailer.

GasBandit

Staff member
No, I don't think so? I thought Kanye was rumoured to be violent, too? If not, then I'm mistaken and retract my statement.

I still don't like his music and definitely think it's a terrible match for an Assassin's Creed trailer.
The only person I remember Kanye west beating up was a guy on the street who called Kim K a "nigger lover" out loud to their face. Chris Brown is definitely known for beating the shit out of Rhianna more than once and still winning grammies/keeping his fans.

The only rumors I've heard about Kanye are about how much he loves a finger up the butt, which I assume to be true based on him denying it way, way too hard.

It's the overreaction denial that's funny about that story. I don't care who likes what up the butt, take it to the elbow if that's your thing, own it, but getting that upset about the accusation is kinda telling.

GasBandit

Staff member
The only rumors I've heard about Kanye are about how much he loves a finger up the butt, which I assume to be true based on him denying it way, way too hard.

It's the overreaction denial that's funny about that story. I don't care who likes what up the butt, take it to the elbow if that's your thing, own it, but getting that upset about the accusation is kinda telling.
He's also a gay fish.