[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

As for Ghostbusters, the "dislikes" on youtube now number twice the "likes," and Sony is allegedly deleting negative comments, even well thought out criticism.

I just hope it's not yet another movie where the gags primarily involve McCarthy falling over and Wiig saying something "outrageous." Because I just now looked up the director, and realized he did "Bridesmaids" and "Spy."
I didn't see it, but I heard Spy wasn't like that.

They were already talking about doing an "expanded universe" for Ghostbusters... so apparently they had a lot of faith in this. I can't imagine why.
They only did that because when the movie was announced, there was a backlash over casting the Ghostbusters as women. I think the decision to do a male character-centric movie was at the same time for appeasing those people and because the distributor sensed an opportunity to do a shared universe thing. This was before filming started.

As for Ghostbusters, the "dislikes" on youtube now number twice the "likes," and Sony is allegedly deleting negative comments, even well thought out criticism.

I just hope it's not yet another movie where the gags primarily involve McCarthy falling over and Wiig saying something "outrageous." Because I just now looked up the director, and realized he did "Bridesmaids" and "Spy."
He also directed some of the best episodes of The Office.

figmentPez

Staff member
Can anyone think of a rebooted comedy which was successful?

I feel like retreading the same ground undermines how funny something can be.
Looking at Rotten Tomatoes list of Best Remakes:
- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Remake of Bedtime Story from 1964)
- Heaven Can Wait (1978 remake of a 1943 version)
- Freaky Friday
- Little Shop of Horrors
- Hairspray

And Box Office Mojo has a list of commercially successful comedy remakes... Ugh, how did some of these make money. However:
- You've Got Mail
- Father of the Bride
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
- Sabrina
- Yours, Mine, and Ours

So, yeah, comedy remakes have been successful a good number of times. Though, more often than not, the original has been forgotten before remake became successful.

To be fair Little Shop of Horrors was actually an adaptation of the Stage Musical that was itself based on the Roger Corman movie.

fade

Staff member
Like I said in the "Movies you liked that no one else did", I thought Walter Mitty was superior to the original. It doesn't hurt that I find Danny Kaye rather annoying.

To be fair Little Shop of Horrors was actually an adaptation of the Stage Musical that was itself based on the Roger Corman movie.
Yeah, it hardly counts when the original was not a comedy. Looking at the Corman original vs any rendition of the musical, they're really entirely separate things.

Is anyone else tired of the stage dive gag? Where the crowd catches one person, then let's the next person eat floor?

Because I'm sure as hell tired of that gag.

And yeah, I don't know. This trailer didn't sell me as much as the first one did. I'm a little more wary now.

Is anyone else tired of the stage dive gag? Where the crowd catches one person, then let's the next person eat floor?

Because I'm sure as hell tired of that gag.

And yeah, I don't know. This trailer didn't sell me as much as the first one did. I'm a little more wary now.
It's lazy. A lot of the humor in these two trailers is lazy. It's not even that it's slapstick that bothers me; it's that it's lazy boring writing.

Can't help but notice Kate McKinnon hasn't had much dialogue in the trailers and I'm kind of hoping she's going to be the Venkman type of character that rescues the movie while some of the dumb stuff isn't in the final cut.

I notice the boobs on the Ghostbusters logo as if its strange or new-IS THIS CONFIRMATION THAT ITS A SEQUEL?! Seriously, I'm still confused. AND IF A SEQUEL-why has everyone forgot about ghosts and shit? This is the SECOND time this has happened, first time was when the Ghostbusters went "Extreme" where they got Ron Stoppable's handicapable best friend who didn't get an action figure despite being the favorite among kids(seriously, look it up), a goth...no more jokes beyond that just a goth, a lazy Spanish speaking guy which I'll just assume wasn't meant to be racist, and a black Ray to replace the original GBs.

I'd also like to say that guy-Janine could be more bitchy. I'm cool with a male Janine, just make him bitchy. This I'm talking solely from the trailer mind you.

The first trailer fell a bit flat, but I laughed out loud two or three times at the international one so... I'm in for now.

So far Ghostbusters: The Video Game, has had far better material than anything in the trailers. If that game didn't run horribly on my system, I'd give it another playthrough. The gameplay was mediocre, but the story was pretty damn good.
It's generally been considered one of the best adaptions/expansions of another franchise ever. I wouldn't say it's as good as Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay but Ghostbusters: The Video Game showed that it had, at the very least, a deep love for the original movies and an eagerness to live up to that standard.

I have a feeling many of us will see this out of curiosity at the very least. It's not like Batman vs Superman where we have enough to know exactly what we'd be getting into.

But low expectations seems the way to go.

I have a feeling many of us will see this out of curiosity at the very least. It's not like Batman vs Superman where we have enough to know exactly what we'd be getting into.

But low expectations seems the way to go.
Yeah, at this point, my intuition on this movie is similar to the first two Fantastic Four movies (the ones with Michael Chiklis as The Thing): I'll go in with low expectations and then likely wind up enjoying it as a result. And like those FF movies, I doubt I'll be a hard defender of it.

Last edited:
Spidy seems surprisingly at ease with being called "underpants."
"Underoos". It's an important distinction. ;) And Tony's not that far off, if we're talking traditional super hero costumes.

(Brought to you by the girl who used to insist she did not need to wear clothes over her Wonder Woman Underoos. It was a fight almost every time. And I was 3.)