[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

I enjoyed watching a few of those. They weren't great movies by any means, but I'm not going to try to take apart the phrase "truly terrible" and discuss semantics and personal taste.
Terrible writing. Questionable performances. Utterly baffling decisions (a superhero movie that spends 2/3 of the running time in a featureless concrete bunker! A literal trophy woman made out of QBert! Eddie Redmayne whisperSCREAMING all his DIALOGUE! Smells Like Teen Spirit! Entourage!) that should get numerous people fired. I mean these are movies that have done measurable damage to careers.

Well, we've had this argument on this forum many times in the past. I like McDonalds. I like the fancy restaurant. Even if I could afford to eat at the fancy place three meals a day forever, I'd still choose McDonalds occasionally despite it being objectively and absolutely worse.

I will still feel ok getting a few laughs and watching the bad story unfold from even a bad movie.

And, while I'm loath to admit it, I did doze off during at least two of those movies for portions of them and didn't feel like I lost anything.

Anything further on this subject would involve semantics and the definition of "truly terrible" which I expect would be the root cause of our disagreement on this whole issue anyway.

GasBandit

Staff member
Just a few episodes, and only for very old movies. Did they ever do any for a recent (terrible) release? Aside from rifftrax, anyway, where they don't have to deal with getting the rights.
There were movies from the 70s and 80s, does that fall under your definition of "very old?" For example, Space Mutiny came out in 1988 (and I really recommend watching the MST3K version, it's hilarious), and one of the most notoriously bad ones was Mitchell (1975).

My grandfather also has (on DVD) an amazing collection of movies from the 70s I'd never heard of and found them incredibly tedious - when I'm in colorado at the end of the month, I'll look up what they are.

I don't see many movies anymore so I probably won't see that, but I don't get all the hate for it. I thought it looked pretty funny, and thats a good cast.

I don't see many movies anymore so I probably won't see that, but I don't get all the hate for it. I thought it looked pretty funny, and thats a good cast.
Pretty much the same for me, come to think of it. I don't see that many movies, so I don't know if I'll make a special trip for it.

I should probably put together a list of definites and maybes for 2016 so I can keep track.

Pretty much the same for me, come to think of it. I don't see that many movies, so I don't know if I'll make a special trip for it.

I should probably put together a list of definites and maybes for 2016 so I can keep track.
And then they'll do a rerelease of Fury Road and that will all go to shit.

How are they doing a sequel? Did he get a puppy at the end of the first one? Or does he have a cat this time?
At the end
when he was patching himself up at an animal shelter / vet's office, he took a pit bull puppy that was slated to be put down (the chart had a big red TERMINATE stamp on it). I think more its that since he wiped out an entire syndicate, old connections pull him back into the fray. Apparently much of it will be set in Rome.

I have a friend on Facebook that felt the same way. And that's okay. I get it. This is your Man of Steel. All I can do is offer you my empathy and hope it turns out better than what you're currently expecting.

Notice the completely different humor. This is the ONLY racial joke in the original Ghostbusters. Subtle. Funny. The acting is as though the situation is serious, but the audience recognizes the absurdity of the whole thing. It didn't need Winston to be a walking talking, black man stereotype.[DOUBLEPOST=1457183935,1457183676][/DOUBLEPOST]

Notice the completely different humor. This is the ONLY racial joke in the original Ghostbusters. Subtle. Funny. The acting is as though the situation is serious, but the audience recognizes the absurdity of the whole thing. It didn't need Winston to be a walking talking, black man stereotype.

This whole scene is writing gold.

I'm not doomsaying the new Ghostbusters, but are we getting a Venkman type of character? Dry sarcasm, not taking the whole thing as seriously. Bill Murray kind of played the Han Solo role of that movie and at least from the trailer I can't identify any of these characters filling that role.

Notice the completely different humor. This is the ONLY racial joke in the original Ghostbusters. Subtle. Funny. The acting is as though the situation is serious, but the audience recognizes the absurdity of the whole thing. It didn't need Winston to be a walking talking, black man stereotype.
The entire idea of Winston having to work as an exterminator is a racial joke. Again, Winston worked in the Airforce as an officer, helped design electrical equipment, is a black belt, and a weapons expert... all stuff that is found in the earlier scripts and made it's way into the various comic series over the years. It's all canon as far as Akroyd and Ramis were concerned. But it's still one of only two jokes that are based on his skin color.

From when this remake was earlier in development, the team was made up of two white women and two black women, but now they swapped out one of the black women for the redhead whose name I don't know. Not sure what happened along the way.

Did they... did they use the worst SNL cast member of all time in the new Ghostbuster movie? WOW... just wow.

Seriously, between 2 bad SNL cast members and Melissa McCarthy, paaaaasss.

I heard bad stuff about this movie for some time now but that trailer was pretty bad.

Shit, and I wanted a good remake at some point, it'll bomb and it won't likely happen anytime soon.

The entire idea of Winston having to work as an exterminator is a racial joke. Again, Winston worked in the Airforce as an officer, helped design electrical equipment, is a black belt, and a weapons expert... all stuff that is found in the earlier scripts and made it's way into the various comic series over the years. It's all canon as far as Akroyd and Ramis were concerned. But it's still one of only two jokes that are based on his skin color.
Yeah but the problem is none of that's in the fucking movie that people actually saw.

Yeah but the problem is none of that's in the fucking movie that people actually saw.
And Ernie Hudson is kind of disappointed about that. Apparently he didn't get the revised script until the day before shooting and it was entirely because the studio wanted to push Bill Murray more. They had been rehearsing it as the previous script for 3 weeks before shooting. After the changes Hudson doesn't get a lot of screen time in the movie (because they wanted Bill Murray on screen more) and it sorta sabotaged his career for awhile.

I'm super tired of Megan McCarthy and I can't stand Leslie Jones, so the movie will be a pass for me. Also, for some reason it feels like Wiig is really phoning it in from the trailer.

Can anyone think of a rebooted comedy which was successful?

I feel like retreading the same ground undermines how funny something can be.

Decided to watch the trailer again and I've picked up on the big thing that's bugging me with it. It's not a well-paced trailer. At each point where we start seeing something cool or interesting or plot-related, it then cuts to shtick. Instead of building from one thing and then to another, it flips back and forth.

So the shtick might be fine in the context of movie scenes, but it's not cut together well here. The re-cut Dave posted makes this even more clear, because that one just focuses on the story.

I don't know how the movie's going to be, but it's just not a good trailer, aside from the music. I'm still willing to give the movie a chance at this point.

Was it just as funny if you had seen the original first?

(I haven't seen it)
Some parts aren't as good, some are better. Matthew Broderick is no Gene Wilder, though Nathan Lane does his best. Will Ferrell is completely over the top as usual but in a role that actually calls for it, as is Gary Beach. The whole musical bit where they finally put on the show itself is also WAY better in the 2005 release though.

GasBandit

Staff member
As for Ghostbusters, the "dislikes" on youtube now number twice the "likes," and Sony is allegedly deleting negative comments, even well thought out criticism.

I just hope it's not yet another movie where the gags primarily involve McCarthy falling over and Wiig saying something "outrageous." Because I just now looked up the director, and realized he did "Bridesmaids" and "Spy."

As for Ghostbusters, the "dislikes" on youtube now number twice the "likes," and Sony is allegedly deleting negative comments, even well thought out criticism.

I just hope it's not yet another movie where the gags primarily involve McCarthy falling over and Wiig saying something "outrageous." Because I just now looked up the director, and realized he did "Bridesmaids" and "Spy."
They were already talking about doing an "expanded universe" for Ghostbusters... so apparently they had a lot of faith in this. I can't imagine why.