[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

RE: Ghostbusters 2016--hold onto your butts.

Someone in post-production apparently leaked the hell out of this movie through conversation, and his story seems to match the trailer. Not only is the trailer representative of the movie assuming this is true, but the story sounds pretty lame. There are nonsensical quotes and callbacks to the original film.

But that's not the worst part! No, no, the worst part is that ... it's another fucking set-up movie. Like 2015's Fantastic Four, like Pan, etc., a movie that exists to serve as the unnecessary foundation for the movie that's supposed to get made. Spoilers if you care:

The Ghostbusters never get firmly established until the movie's pretty much over and then at the end, Kristen Wiig's character hears a recording that says the name "Zuul" ...

Allegedly Sony also threatened legal action against Bill Murray if he refused to cameo the new movie.

Fuck this thing.

Allegedly Sony also threatened legal action against Bill Murray if he refused to cameo the new movie.

Fuck this thing.
I don't think he's contractually obligated to do anything, unless he agreed to do so years ago... at which point it's possible the contract is passed.

It's difficult to even guess; a third Ghostbusters movie has been in development hell for a long time.
I almost suspect that Murray considered whatever obligation he had filled when the video game came out a few years back. He really only did it because Ramis and Akyrod begged him.

One of the reasons they had such a hard time getting a third Ghostbusters movie off the ground was Murray's refusal to be a part of it. So I HIGHLY doubt he has some kind of contractual obligation.

And yeah, if all of this is true and it's another fucking set-up movie? Screw it. I'm out.

It's kinda cute how the studio had such faith in this movie they believed it would earn enough to justify a sequel. I mean, it might, but they planned around the idea that it would.

It's kinda cute how the studio had such faith in this movie they believed it would earn enough to justify a sequel. I mean, it might, but they planned around the idea that it would.
Thing is, it can't. It's in the same hole as Superman Returns, in that it's spent so much time in development hell, so many scripts, and a high budget on top of all that, it's unlikely to earn much profit. So the sequel's justification to Sony would be that the first one makes the money back and the sequels reap the profit on the original's popularity.

Which means that if the trailers hadn't received such harsh backlash, even if the movie tanked we could still have seen sequels. Now things are up in the air and already Sony's American Creative Market Blah Blah Big-Earning Title Guy has "decided to step down" AKA told to resign or be fired. If this movie doesn't do well, they may can the whole project like Fox did with Fantastic Four 2015.

Also I've read that Melissa McCarthy was paid $25 million to be in this. -_- Oh yeah, that's money well spent. There are other plot elements I haven't gotten into from that leak that really make me not want to see this, like shit about a ghost mob family that gets resurrected, or how McCarthy's character uploads a video of Wiig getting slimed onto Youtube, killing her chances at a job she wanted and leaving her no choice but to enter the ghost hunting venture with the others. Oh, the outburst of laughter and swarm of chuckles to be had. Now we get the quality writing as seen in recent films like Jem.

More stuff:

The cameos are awful. Lots of lines quoting the first movie. Bill Murray ...

is killed by one of the captured ghosts.

Dan Akroyd

Cab driver who won't drive the Ghostbusters to the climax, says "I ain't afraid of no ghosts" to them.

Ernie Hudson

is Leslie Jone's uncle, shows up at the end of the movie.

Thing is, the movie is four months out, and if WB could still be editing Batman vs Superman three weeks before the release date, Sony could try doing reshoots in the next few months. Sony wants a shared universe franchise so so bad, but I don't think this will be what gets it for them.

I like the Ernie Hudson cameo at least. I mean, it's not a lot, but still.
Hopefully they didn't all have to deal with Sony threatening legal action like Murray. There may be more meat to that than previously thought, according to Reddit, that this came from the Sony hack*.

"In order to more fully evaluate our position if Bill Murray again declines to engage on “Ghostbusters”, AG requested that we identify “aggressive” litigation counsel with whom we can consult to evaluate our alternatives and strategize."

*But which one? :rimshot:

I was more responding to the posts above mine, but yeah, I guess that might not have been the best usage. Still, your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Oh, hey, it's that guy who's been awful in everything except Whiplash doing a weird mashup of Entourage and Lord of War.

Seriously, Miles Teller has the most punchable face this side of Ted Cruz.

Last edited: