[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

Dave

Staff member
I love how the physics of Ant-Man is on again/off again. The reason he can punch so hard is because he retains his mass. Yet people make keychains out of tanks, can throw fuel trucks, and can easily wheel away buildings that have been shrunk (and don't even think about wiring and plumbing and gas lines and...)

DO SHRUNKEN THINGS RETAIN THEIR MASS OR NOT?!?

I love how the physics of Ant-Man is on again/off again. The reason he can punch so hard is because he retains his mass. Yet people make keychains out of tanks, can throw fuel trucks, and can easily wheel away buildings that have been shrunk (and don't even think about wiring and plumbing and gas lines and...)

Are they able to retain their mass because of the suits? That's all I got.

Well, their original explanation that it works by reducing the empty space between atoms means that anything should retain it's mass... but it would also makes it impossible to go subatomic, which isn't the case. So clearly they have no idea how Pym Particles work in-universe either, Pym just pretends he does.

In response to any scientific questions on the processes of Pym Particles and their effects:

Don't ask. Pym Particles are pretty much the Speed Force of the Marvel universe.

figmentPez

Staff member

In DC Comics the Atom can control both size and mass somehow. I assumed that Ant-Man has the same type of control.

Unstable molecules are just used for clothes taking on the properties of the powers of the user... i don't recall them being used to explain anything else.

Pym Particles on the other hand... as Tiger Tsang's post shows, they're used to explain more then just size changing.[DOUBLEPOST=1517422681,1517422618][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, I hope you don't mind a gender swap, at least.
Paranoia knows not this gender you speak off.

Unstable molecules are just used for clothes taking on the properties of the powers of the user... i don't recall them being used to explain anything else.
IIRC, it's also the explanation for some of the other characters' abilities, such as the Super-Adaptoid being constructed of UMs.

--Patrick

IIRC, it's also the explanation for some of the other characters' abilities, such as the Super-Adaptoid being constructed of UMs.

--Patrick
Oh, right, Marvel has their own Amazo... i never learned how his powers worked, but looking it up, i don't see anything about UMs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-Adaptoid#Powers_and_abilities Is that a new thing they're doing with it? The Cosmic Cube thing made much more sense (even though CCs are even more speed force then the speed force).

i never learned how his powers worked, but looking it up, i don't see anything about UMs:
I'm going on the explanation that was printed in the "Marvel Universe" series'. I don't honestly remember if it was SA that was made of UMs, I just remember that was the explanation given for at least one of the "copies all your powers" artificial beings.

--Patrick

Either that or Lois is Will Graham or Lex is Hannibal Lecter. Either way I'd be asking "When the hell is Superman showing up?" while watching so I'll probably skip it.

So, no announcement, no release date, just rumors of a third Cloverfield, and then they just dump it on Netflix tonight.

They're crazy, but they must be doing something right being able to keep it a secret.

EDIT: Still not enticed by Jurassic World 2. It comes across like they really didn't know what to do next.

figmentPez

Staff member
So, no announcement, no release date, just rumors of a third Cloverfield, and then they just dump it on Netflix tonight.
Watching the trailer I thought it was coming to Netflix Tonight, some sort of new promotion or series of movies. It didn't at all click in my brain that it was being released tonight, on Netflix.

Dave

Staff member
I'm watching it now. It's got Chris O'Dowd![DOUBLEPOST=1517806900,1517806764][/DOUBLEPOST]And AGAIN the Jurassic World trailer shows a pivotal moment where they are saved by a dino THAT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN SHOWN!

I think he looks passable and sounds almost nothing like Han BUT I'd rather that than a shitty impression for the entire movie.

Alternatively, Donglover as Lando has that character down even in the brief amount of time he's seen.