[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

Can't say I'm excited about Solo at all. I might honestly skip it.

I'm trying to remember the last Mission Impossible movie I saw. I think I saw the one where Tom scaled that big building in India. Was there another one after that? I swear, the only way I remember this is the insane stunts he does in the trailers.

Annihilation looks cool, but cripes, the trailer is so generic. I don't think there's a single line in it that isn't an overused cliche line. I'm still interested, though, purely for being the same writer/director as Ex Machina.

And while I'm still incredibly excited for Infinity War, the trailers haven't really excited me. There haven't been any big, iconic moments or lines. Then again, I'm unfairly comparing it to "We have a Hulk" and the first big "Avengers assembled" group shot.

Can't say I'm excited about Solo at all. I might honestly skip it.

I'm trying to remember the last Mission Impossible movie I saw. I think I saw the one where Tom scaled that big building in India. Was there another one after that? I swear, the only way I remember this is the insane stunts he does in the trailers.

Annihilation looks cool, but cripes, the trailer is so generic. I don't think there's a single line in it that isn't an overused cliche line. I'm still interested, though, purely for being the same writer/director as Ex Machina.

And while I'm still incredibly excited for Infinity War, the trailers haven't really excited me. There haven't been any big, iconic moments or lines. Then again, I'm unfairly comparing it to "We have a Hulk" and the first big "Avengers assembled" group shot.
I'm not so much as replying to Nick as copying his format.

I love Star Wars. I will definitely see Solo in the theater. I doubt it is a movie that is targeted to 40-somethings, though. Like it or not, these movies are going after younger, and more international demographics than you or I represent.

I always end up seeing the Mission Impossible movies and I generally like them. From what I heard, MI: Fallout is about the consequences that Ethan Hunt makes in the previous movies. It is about time!

The book Annihilation is a trippy, creepy, pensive journey into a totally alien place. It is more like Apocalypse Now (or Heart of Darkness) than a horror movie. Did the director turn it into a jump-scare horror movie? I kind of doubt it. Ex Machina was a slow boil and terrifying in its own way, no jump-scares needed. After hearing that the producers argued about the film and ended up selling the international rights to Netflix, I bet the marketing for this film is completely misleading.

Of course I am going to see the Avengers, more for the Russo Brothers than for any of the characters in it. I am glad that the marketing has not been giving much away. I don't need anything to get me to see this one except for the previous movies.

The last Mission Impossible movie I saw was Ghost Protocol - maybe that was the fourth one? The one where he climbed the hotel in Dubai.

I haven't seen the one after... Rogue something? Rogue Nation, I guess?

What's this one called, Mission Impossible: Puppy Helmet? Popcorn Eyeglasses?

What's this one called, Mission Impossible: Puppy Helmet? Popcorn Eyeglasses?
Mission Impossible: The Elder Scrolls

I always end up seeing the Mission Impossible movies and I generally like them. From what I heard, MI: Fallout is about the consequences that Ethan Hunt makes in the previous movies. It is about time!
Isn't that the plot of almost all of them? Something Ethan did will start a series of events he has to end?

The fight in the restroom looks like a ripoff of a similar scene from "True Lies"

Mission Impossible: The Elder Scrolls

Isn't that the plot of almost all of them? Something Ethan did will start a series of events he has to end?

The fight in the restroom looks like a ripoff of a similar scene from "True Lies"
Not what I meant, no. Also, I don't think so. I'd have to go back and revisit them all.

The only MI movie I saw, or will see, was the first one. Once they made Jim Phelps the villain, I was done. Fuck this franchise.

Ah ha ha ha, they had a brief shot of Emilia Clarke in Targaryen colors (red and black). I'm going to assume in my head that that was deliberate.

Also, Emilia Clarke's character is totally going to die.

(Or she's playing a young Phasma, which would actually be a pretty decent twist)

"Well, that's just lazy writing."

Oh, I hope this is a sign that this movie won't rely so much on the "fuck crutch" (as a writing teacher I had once called it). It's not the swearing itself, but the excessive swearing. It's using swearing to a ridiculous degree. Which, given the incredibly clever writing for most of the first movie, there were moments where using more clever lines in light of swearing would've been a lot better and funnier.

"Well, that's just lazy writing."

Oh, I hope this is a sign that this movie won't rely so much on the "fuck crutch" (as a writing teacher I had once called it). It's not the swearing itself, but the excessive swearing. It's using swearing to a ridiculous degree. Which, given the incredibly clever writing for most of the first movie, there were moments where using more clever lines in light of swearing would've been a lot better and funnier.
Honestly, the swearing in Deadpool didn't even register for me, but then I swear in a manner that would make sailors blush. You know, if I hung out with sailors. Which I don't, because then I'd have to explain to my wife why I'm spending my free time making sailors blush.

You get what I'm saying.

Honestly, the swearing in Deadpool didn't even register for me, but then I swear in a manner that would make sailors blush. You know, if I hung out with sailors. Which I don't, because then I'd have to explain to my wife why I'm spending my free time making sailors blush.

You get what I'm saying.
Aw shit, man. What the fuck are you doing? You're ruining my fucking point about excessive fucking swearing, you asshole. Fuck your fucking shit.

(Hopefully this is so over the top, people are aware that I'm joking here.)

Last edited:

OK, not really a trailer, but it's about upcoming movies, and with the Solo talk here I figured this'd be as good a place as the SW thread....

I'm really on the fence - DB & DB's complex character writing isn't anywhere near as good as they like to think, in my opinion.

Aw shit, man. What the fuck are you doing? You're ruining my fucking point about excessive fucking swearing, you asshole. Fuck your fucking shit.
Mom?[DOUBLEPOST=1518025794,1518025717][/DOUBLEPOST]

OK, not really a trailer, but it's about upcoming movies, and with the Solo talk here I figured this'd be as good a place as the SW thread....

I'm really on the fence - DB & DB's complex character writing isn't anywhere near as good as they like to think, in my opinion.
Dude, I think you're missing the bigger picture here. We're finally gonna get nudity in Star Wars!

I for one can't wait to see what the junk on one of those guys running the rancor pit looks like.

VENOM 2: RETURN OF THE OOZE!

Yeah, this looks like it'll be pretty bad. Not that I expected it to be good, mind you.
Honestly, I'm a little surprised they didn't even give a brief glimpse of Venom in full form.

My expectations are also pretty low. This feels like just Sony trying to cash in on Spider-Man without using Spider-Man, and I still don't know how you do Venom without that grudge against Spider-Man.

figmentPez

Staff member
Honestly, I'm a little surprised they didn't even give a brief glimpse of Venom in full form.
My cynical side is betting that they haven't finalized the CGI yet, that they're focus-testing multiple versions, and will be choosing one based on audience reaction.

Meh. Venom's always been one of Spidey's blander villains (all style, no substance, although they've found a way to make him semi-useful as Flash Thompson now), so this trailer isn't really doing much to disprove that.

But like @filmfanatic said, how is this going to work without Peter? Brock's chip-on-his-shoulder rivalry was one of his only defining characteristics. Without Pete in the suit first, how does it show what happens to the symbiote in the wrong hands? Except for the little black ooze, that teaser felt very generic action film-y and nothing would have told me this was about Venom except for the title card.

Meh. Venom's always been one of Spidey's blander villains (all style, no substance, although they've found a way to make him semi-useful as Flash Thompson now), so this trailer isn't really doing much to disprove that.

But like @filmfanatic said, how is this going to work without Peter? Brock's chip-on-his-shoulder rivalry was one of his only defining characteristics. Without Pete in the suit first, how does it show what happens to the symbiote in the wrong hands? Except for the little black ooze, that teaser felt very generic action film-y and nothing would have told me this was about Venom except for the title card.
Supposedly it is following the Lethal Predator storyline, which I am unfamiliar with: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venom:_Lethal_Protector[DOUBLEPOST=1518111484,1518111436][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and also Planet of the Symbiotes, I guess: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_the_Symbiotes

Supposedly it is following the Lethal Predator storyline, which I am unfamiliar with: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venom:_Lethal_Protector[DOUBLEPOST=1518111484,1518111436][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and also Planet of the Symbiotes, I guess: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_the_Symbiotes
So...mole people, huh? ...Huh.

I just checked my collection and I actually have issue #4 of the Lethal Protector series. I honestly don't remember reading it. It's pretty sure it was one of those "here's a box of mystery comics for $2" or whatever I would get sometimes.

Planet of the Symbiotes sound a little more ambitious, I guess, but confusing without Spidey or Carnage. Unless that's either Woody Harrelson's or Scott Haze's unnamed role. But that also seems like a lot for an origin story that may-or-may-not be part of the Spider-Man universe.

So...mole people, huh? ...Huh.

I just checked my collection and I actually have issue #4 of the Lethal Protector series. I honestly don't remember reading it. It's pretty sure it was one of those "here's a box of mystery comics for $2" or whatever I would get sometimes.

Planet of the Symbiotes sound a little more ambitious, I guess, but confusing without Spidey or Carnage. Unless that's either Woody Harrelson's or Scott Haze's unnamed role. But that also seems like a lot for an origin story that may-or-may-not be part of the Spider-Man universe.
Yeah, Planet of the Symbiotes seems a bit big to do for a first film. Honestly, it would be enough to go with basing this around the Lethal Protector series. It seems like they might go for a dash of Separation Anxiety, as well.

My money is on the Life Foundation finding the symbiote, then using Eddie Brock as a test subject when he develops cancer.

fade

Staff member
I'm guessing we're going to see at least a little Carnage in this movie. Even if it's a parting shot.[DOUBLEPOST=1518134793,1518134755][/DOUBLEPOST]
And does he have telekinesis in this? If so...why?
I'm thinking this blast isn't from Venom.

UGH-just show the freaking SUIT! Or are they just making up for "Spider-man 3" where they advertised the suit WAY too much?
Right? I thought we'd at least get a parting glimpse.

I used to like him because he was visually interesting, but there really isn't much to him. The most interesting thing story-wise is how unpredictable the symbiote's biology gets later, and that got swamped in 90s-ness. I don't know why the comics side of Marvel is going so crazy for him all of a sudden. They're on their third Venom-based mini-event in less than twelve months.

This trailer could've been for any action movie. There was nothing defining or characteristic about it. I'm not sure why they bothered except to remind people it's happening.

I also never understood why there's such a big demand for Carnage. Every time a new Spider-Man film is announced, I see people going "Carnage! PLEASE do Carnage!"

To quote Floating Hands Studios: "Oh please, you look like a hemophiliac's attempt at forming a scab."

Well for me its because he's bat-crap Looney Tunes and he brings the chaos, as well as it leading to stories where Spider-man teams up with an enemy to take out a larger threat. ALSO-Maximum Cargnage was my SHIT!

MAJOR QUALM THOUGH-I'm still not sure how the hell this can work without Spider-man. Its like doing a Bizarro movie without Superman, a Reverse-Flash film without the Flash, a Boris and Natash film without Moose and Sqvuir-

...oh right.

fade

Staff member
I think Carnage is appealing because unlike many comic villains, he actually has a personality. And it's fun to see your typical psychopathic serial killer get superpowers.