[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

fade

Staff member

I guess from what Ive read this is supposed to be one of those soft reboots or whatever it's called when it's kind of a sequel but also somehow tells the same story again. Sutherland is supposed to be in it from what I read.

I don't know. It has some good moments in the trailer, but like too many new movies it lacks subtlety. It leads the horse to water and then proceeds to bash the horse over the head with the river. Also it has too much of that recent haha look at us we're supposedly young and cool but it feels so forced.

I guess from what Ive read this is supposed to be one of those soft reboots or whatever it's called when it's kind of a sequel but also somehow tells the same story again. Sutherland is supposed to be in it from what I read.

I don't know. It has some good moments in the trailer, but like too many new movies it lacks subtlety. It leads the horse to water and then proceeds to bash the horse over the head with the river. Also it has too much of that recent haha look at us we're supposedly young and cool but it feels so forced.
I never saw the original, but I'm pretty much having the same reaction. There's some interesting stuff, some stuff that's very '00s, but either of those could just be the work of trailer magic that can make anything feel like anything. Yeah, I don't know either.

Just watched the trailer. Didn't we just have a discussion in another thread about how everyone believes himself to be the good guy?

--Patrick

Jackie himself will tell you..."You use whatever you have handy."
...though I get where you're coming from.

--Patrick
I was okay with it in 1911 because that was a historical piece and he was playing a real world soldier that WOULD have used a gun. But this is... basically brand defilement: Jackie Chan played police officers in how many movies for how many years and he resisted picking up a gun and just... shooting a guy because it was boring. Here I feel like he's doing it just because this is the current "style" of film for older action stars who want to get that boomer money but ether can't/won't do their own stunts.

I dunno. If it was anyone else, I wouldn't even blink.

I was okay with it in 1911 because that was a historical piece and he was playing a real world soldier that WOULD have used a gun. But this is... basically brand defilement: Jackie Chan played police officers in how many movies for how many years and he resisted picking up a gun and just... shooting a guy because it was boring. Here I feel like he's doing it just because this is the current "style" of film for older action stars who want to get that boomer money but ether can't/won't do their own stunts.

I dunno. If it was anyone else, I wouldn't even blink.
I think that sells the vengeance angle better, it makes him seem more personally emotionally invested then in his other films where he was just doing the right thing.

There might've been a time when I was younger when I might've had an issue seeing Chan use a gun.

I watched the trailer, waiting for the outrage that never occurred. Looks like a decent enough flick, and I'll probably go see it.

It looks like it can be fun, but it falls into a Hollywood trope I'm really tired of: why is his wife being played by Michelle Williams? She's 12 years younger than Hugh Jackman. Charity Barnum was two years older than her husband.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

You know, this looks...promising. Maybe.[DOUBLEPOST=1498743115,1498743055][/DOUBLEPOST]Cult of Chucky

This...also looks promising.

Dave

Staff member
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

You know, this looks...promising. Maybe
Oh no! The pretty girl learns how to be humble, the athlete learns how to respect others, the shy dorky kid learns how to find his inner hero, and the shy girl learns her true value.

They all make it back safe and have learned valuable lessons about life.

This is Jumanji meets the Breakfast Club.

I can't pass hard enough or fast enough on this one.

Oh no! The pretty girl learns how to be humble, the athlete learns how to respect others, the shy dorky kid learns how to find his inner hero, and the shy girl learns her true value.

But it has Amy Pond in hot pants.

See, this is why we can't have nice things.

Like Amy Pond in hot pants.

Dave

Staff member
I'm honestly confused why you're saying this as if it is a bad thing.
Because there's nothing new, nothing surprising, and nothing that we haven't seen before a thousand times. No need to watch the movie because you already know what it is, what it's trying to be, and how it's going to turn out.

Because there's nothing new, nothing surprising, and nothing that we haven't seen before a thousand times. No need to watch the movie because you already know what it is, what it's trying to be, and how it's going to turn out.
Apart from Amy Pond in hot pants. I don't think any of us could've predicted that.

Dave

Staff member
See, the thing about the original Jumanji is that Robin William's character as a boy was sucked into the jungle and had to figure out how to survive. He learned all about it and its dangers and when he came back he fought them here. I think this would have been infinitely better had the four kids remained themselves in the jungle and had to learn to survive. And not have bullshit like motorcycles and helicopters and bullshit like that.

It's absolutely nothing like Jumanji other than to say, "People get sucked into a game." Pass, pass, super pass.

This is literally true of everything. Star Wars is a rip off of the Epic of Gilgamesh if you make broad enough descriptions.