[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

Part of Spidey's mythos is that he became a hero alone against all odds.
And the other part of Spidey's mythos is that with great power comes great temptation to think you're better'n everyone else, but that attitude can and will get your family killed.

--Patrick

Last edited:
They did hint Peter was already doing that in Age of Ultron. Since MCU said they're not going to rehash his origins again, I think it's safe to assume he was already competent, albeit unpolished, prior to meeting Tony.
Also, Aunt Marisa being single...

1) As a big fan of the Captain America movies, I respectfully disagree that only two were good. I'd say they're all "good" as far as being more rewatchable than other superhero films, but I also admit to being biased and of course, opinions are subjective. I personally don't think any of them are outright BAD. Even the "bad" ones like Thor 2 are serviceable enough.

2) Tony had PTSD after going from dealing with his own shit (dudes just in power armour) to suddenly fighting aliens, unimaginable hulking monsters, and literal gods. Iron Man 3 could've handled it better, but it informs his growing paranoia and inadequacy in Avengers 2 and Civil War. He was greatly humbled by all the crazy shit after thinking he was the cat's meow.

Also, I imagine he guided the missile right in to ensure it definitely hit its mark. To be fair, he didn't fly too far into the portal.

3) The payoff to Thanos is almost here, but I do get your point. It's a valid criticism. After all this build up with the Gems, I'm concerned the end game won't be worth it. Fingers crossed on that.

4) I think a better approach to the films is treating them less like individual films and more like a TV series. Think of Thanos as the big bad in the overarching series of "episodes."

Being a comic nerd who digs the hell out of seeing all these characters adapted so well (especially with the OVERWHELMING amount of other superhero flicks that horribly miss the mark *coughManofSteelcough*), it's exciting for me. But I fully understand getting overwhelmed or worn out by the number of them if you're not super biased like me.

Whew. Sorry, there was a lot to unpack in your post. Hope it came across as respectful as possible.
I was being a bit glib with my complaints about the Avengers being "dumb" - I mean, Indiana Jones is irrelevant to both Raiders and Crusade, and yet I love those movies. Plot holes/dumb stuff isn't really my big complaint. I was uncaffeinated and rambly.

I think the core of it is that they're not 'bad' but I'm bored. I just don't find them fun anymore, I find them same-same-but-different, and I'm just... tired?

Your TV series analogy is right, but I would say that's a weakness, not a virtue. Film isn't a TV series, which is why it ends up feeling so clumsy. It's too long and inconsistent to flow like a really good series, even a monster-of-the-week style, but overarching enough that you want a payoff... in... years and years? Buffy had the great sense to give us a big bad once a year. They've been making Avengers movies for very nearly a decade!

I could just say at the end of the day it's "not for me" but I don't believe that. I do like superheroes, I like action movies - the actors seem to have fun, they don't take the films too seriously, but they don't make it total camp either. There's lots of strengths, and yet the overwhelming repetitiveness has just bored me to the point of giving up.

And - not that this is super relevant (to me) - I have no nostalgic investment at all. I was never into superheroes or comics when I was younger, and my exposure to them has nearly all been movies, with a handful of exceptions. So for me it's just been "really cool movies that have started to meander on like a bad jazz solo."

Kinda wish I hadn't watched that trailer. I'm already sold on the movie; I didn't need a rundown of the plot. Of course, it was probably going to be play before Guardians 2 anyway. Same reason I won't be able to escape the last Wonder Woman trailer forever.

figmentPez

Staff member
What does "That's my secret. I'm always angry." even mean?
Okay, are you serious about this? It means Bruce Banner has some serious emotional baggage combined with a gamma radiation fueled genetic mutation inside him that is always there. It's not just an issue when he's hulked-out, he's always dealing with what's inside of him.

And that's just with what's fully explicit from the screen. Extrapolating gives a whole lot more. Fear and anger are very closely linked emotions, and Banner not only has a lot of anger inside him, but also a lot of fear, both of what's he could do, and what's done to those around him. Also, he's shown to deal with some level of depression, and in many ways depression is anger turned inwards. Bruce hates himself, he's depressed, and afraid, and all that means he's pretty much angry all the time. He hides it, manages it, but he doesn't have to get angry to turn into the Hulk, he's already angry, and all that's necessary for the Hulk to come out is for Banner to loosen control.

Also, were people not watching the same movie I was during Iron Man 3? I thought it handled Tony having PTSD pretty well. I idenified at a lot of points with Tony's anxiety and his mal-adjusted coping mechanisms.

And, finally:
why didn't he just point the nuke at the portal and let go? Why did he fly with it? It's a bullet, it just goes in that direction.
Because it's not a damn bullet, it's a guided missile. If he'd just aimed it at the portal, it would have corrected it's course. Also, by the time Tony got it redirected all the way to the portal, the strain on his suit was causing the suit to fail, that's why he said it was a "one way trip", he knew he couldn't redirect the missile and still have enough left to get himself back safely.

If you pay attention to Bruce's dialogue, he's almost constantly sardonic when he talks - not just sarcastic, but bitter. He's angry about the life he's been denied. He's angry about being hunted. He's angry about being used and lied to. He's angry about being seen as a weapon. He doesn't remain Banner by purging himself of anger, he remains Banner by controlling his anger. It's always there. When he gets blown up and dropped through the floor on the helicarrier, his control snaps - he fights it, but the Hulk takes over and goes berserk. When he intentionally gives in to the rage, he becomes the Hulk much faster, yet retains some agency - the Hulk going after the Chitauri only, instead of whatever's at hand.

he remains Banner by controlling his anger.

When he intentionally gives in to the rage, he becomes the Hulk much faster, yet retains some agency - the Hulk going after the Chitauri only, instead of whatever's at hand.
Actually i'm going to say it's more that it implies he represses the anger to stay as Banner... once he actually starts to control it a bit is when he's able to retain some agency.

I mean Banner always repressing his anger throughout his life is what made him into a rage monster instead of a more outgoing and sporty bombshell, or a green haired, more idealised version of himself, or a reflection of his true abominable self. Or a moustache-less red guy... DUDE, YOU CAN JUST SHAVE IT OFF!

I don't see the need for a dogpile. Nobody has to like any of these movies, even the most popular ones. I didn't think we were after Charlie because he thought "The Avengers is a bad movie." We were after him because he thought "The Avengers is a bad movie and ya'll are lead paint-eating morons for liking it." Pretty sure Chad's fine with us liking what we like.

I don't see the need for a dogpile. Nobody has to like any of these movies, even the most popular ones. I didn't think we were after Charlie because he thought "The Avengers is a bad movie." We were after him because he thought "The Avengers is a bad movie and ya'll are lead paint-eating morons for liking it." Pretty sure Chad's fine with us liking what we like.
Hey! Get out of here, you moderate! The Thought Police WILL force you to like what the majority likes, or you and your un-American feelings can just get out and go have bad taste in movies elsewhere!

(I've seen Iron Man 1 and 2, Thor 1 and 2, Captain America, GOTG, and Ant-Man out of the MCU. And most of those on air planes or on DVD.)

Actually i'm going to say it's more that it implies he represses the anger to stay as Banner... once he actually starts to control it a bit is when he's able to retain some agency.

I mean Banner always repressing his anger throughout his life is what made him into a rage monster instead of a more outgoing and sporty bombshell, or a green haired, more idealised version of himself, or a reflection of his true abominable self. Or a moustache-less red guy... DUDE, YOU CAN JUST SHAVE IT OFF!
But Red Hulk with mustache is far too GLORIOUS.

rh-600x925.png

It

This...looks promising. A few thoughts on it:

1) It basically looks like a big budget version of the 90s TV series. Dated and campy as it was, I still fondly remember it. So that's not necessarily a bad thing.
2) Why does every horror trailer (and usually the full films) need to use the EXACT same "scary" tropes. Like the sudden musical cue when Pennywise's head pops up under the grate. Or the seizure like quick cuts and movement. I hate that shit. It's overused and it's not scary. They're cheap "scares."

GasBandit

Staff member
2) Why does every horror trailer (and usually the full films) need to use the EXACT same "scary" tropes. Like the sudden musical cue when Pennywise's head pops up under the grate. Or the seizure like quick cuts and movement. I hate that shit. It's overused and it's not scary. They're cheap "scares."
Bazinga.
(Laugh track)

GasBandit

Staff member
Laugh tracks I can take or leave. Most times, I don't even notice them.
It's the same thing, and you're 100% right, it's cheap.. It's an auditory cue to get you to react a certain way when the director doesn't think the event happening is funny/scary enough to elicit the response on its own.

Remember how cringy/dull Big Bang Theory is without the laugh tracks?

It's the same thing, and you're 100% right, it's cheap.. It's an auditory cue to get you to react a certain way when the director doesn't think the event happening is funny/scary enough to elicit the response on its own.
No argument here. I remember the M*A*S*H DVDs gave you the option to turn off the laugh track and I always did.

I think there was a relatively recent YouTube video that discussed jump scare musical cues, comparing it with classic horror films like Halloween.[DOUBLEPOST=1490805062,1490804951][/DOUBLEPOST]
OH MY GOD, this is painful.

Dave

Staff member
The problem isn't that it's bad or cringey, it's that it's written with pauses for the laughter. When the laughter is taken away, the pauses are amplified. If it were written to NOT have a laugh track the dialogue would be spaced better and tighter.

Stop drinking the haterade.

GasBandit

Staff member
The problem isn't that it's bad or cringey, it's that it's written with pauses for the laughter. When the laughter is taken away, the pauses are amplified. If it were written to NOT have a laugh track the dialogue would be spaced better and tighter.

Stop drinking the haterade.
Ok, when I go home tonight, I'm going to edit out the gaps and repost it.

Almost every line of that dialog is supposed to be a joke, I guarantee you it will come off as a boring conversation between idiots and assholes.

Fortunately, Chad, you're under no obligation to see them if you don't enjoy them.
Huh. Thanks, Tips.

I wasn't posting here to be all "I hate-watch these movies, and here's why you shouldn't like them." A question was asked about why blot found them dull, I chimed in with my two cents and was given the chance to expand, so I did.

Okay, are you serious about this? It means Bruce Banner has some serious emotional baggage combined with a gamma radiation fueled genetic mutation inside him that is always there. It's not just an issue when he's hulked-out, he's always dealing with what's inside of him.

And that's just with what's fully explicit from the screen. Extrapolating gives a whole lot more. Fear and anger are very closely linked emotions, and Banner not only has a lot of anger inside him, but also a lot of fear, both of what's he could do, and what's done to those around him. Also, he's shown to deal with some level of depression, and in many ways depression is anger turned inwards. Bruce hates himself, he's depressed, and afraid, and all that means he's pretty much angry all the time. He hides it, manages it, but he doesn't have to get angry to turn into the Hulk, he's already angry, and all that's necessary for the Hulk to come out is for Banner to loosen control.

Also, were people not watching the same movie I was during Iron Man 3? I thought it handled Tony having PTSD pretty well. I idenified at a lot of points with Tony's anxiety and his mal-adjusted coping mechanisms.

And, finally:

Because it's not a damn bullet, it's a guided missile. If he'd just aimed it at the portal, it would have corrected it's course. Also, by the time Tony got it redirected all the way to the portal, the strain on his suit was causing the suit to fail, that's why he said it was a "one way trip", he knew he couldn't redirect the missile and still have enough left to get himself back safely.
I guess I find the Hulk explanation to be really reaching. It seems to me that it was established previously (and for me, this has been about the films, as I have admitted very limited comic knowledge) that if Bruce is angry, he is the Hulk. I liked the Norton Incredible Hulk for a few reasons (though it isn't great, admittedly), and it's really clear in that one that he works extraordinarily hard to avoid stress. So when he suddenly says "I'm always angry," it just comes across as, "We decided to change the rules lol," like playing Monopoly with a six year old.

I didn't remember the missile being guided. That does nullify my complaint. I was sure it was launched, but I guess not.

Huh. Thanks, Tips.

I wasn't posting here to be all "I hate-watch these movies, and here's why you shouldn't like them." A question was asked about why blot found them dull, I chimed in with my two cents and was given the chance to expand, so I did.
And in your defense, I didn't take it that way. I just wanted to respectfully debate the other side. Though again, my "side" is incredibly biased, so the argument is flawed. :p

And in your defense, I didn't take it that way. I just wanted to respectfully debate the other side. Though again, my "side" is incredibly biased, so the argument is flawed. :p
Yes, I rather thought we were being mannerly and just having a plain old disagreement of taste. Apparently I was dragging Null down.

It

This...looks promising. A few thoughts on it:

1) It basically looks like a big budget version of the 90s TV series. Dated and campy as it was, I still fondly remember it. So that's not necessarily a bad thing.
I'll have to watch when I get home. I know King is more enthusiastic about this version, but then again, he liked that Shining TV remake. I saw a promo shot of the kids yesterday and was glad I could point out who each was just on visual. IT is my favorite book so it's going to be impossible for me to approach without bias despite my positive feelings toward looser adaptations, but I'm trying.

I'll say this--it would be best to sever the story from all the Lovecraftian cosmic horror elements. No deadlights, no mythos, no Ritual of Chud. Just have Pennywise be a demon clown. Because that'll be easier. There just isn't time in a movie to do that stuff right, and I'd rather if they can't do it right, they don't do it at all.

The 90s mini felt like they were desperate to cram as many parts of the book into the running time as they could, even if they didn't make sense in altered context, so the movie felt like a rushed cliff's notes of the book. I'd rather they just cut out and change a bunch of stuff to make a good movie/tell a good story than try to cram a 1200-page book into a space that can't handle it.

Yes, I rather thought we were being mannerly and just having a plain old disagreement of taste.
Wait, come back, I can do better. Hang on, lemme get in character. *ahem*

You fucking SJW cuck! The Marvel movies are the best thing to happen to Hollywood in decades! You must be completely retarded and a homoeroticsexual to not see that! You're just a fucking DC fanboy who's blinded by your dark emo Batman!

Yes, I rather thought we were being mannerly and just having a plain old disagreement of taste. Apparently I was dragging Null down.
That's okay, telling you to go fuck yourself will cheer me up.

I didn't really want to get into it, but here's the thing: when you say the action sequences are by the numbers, samey, or repetitive, you are staggeringly wrong, to the point of either you didn't pay attention to the movie, or you're being a dick about it intentionally.

The long sweeping take following each Avenger during the battle against the Chitauri.

The elevator fight in Winter Soldier. The car chase in Winter Soldier. Hell, every action sequence in Winter Soldier.

The stairway fight / footchase in Civil War. The airport fight.

These are masterpieces of action events.

If you didn't get anything out of them, if you think they're the same, the problem is you.

Last edited: