[News] The Trayvon Martin Discussion Thread

I honestly feel bad for the guy. I dont agree with what he did, and I still feel he should have served some time. But I think it's really wrong that he now owes like 2 million dollars in legal fees, court costs, and whatnot

He may be free but in a lot of ways his life is over. He has basically zero chance of paying off his debt, and since he's no longer a conservative media darling no one is helping him.
I feel bad for Trayvon Martin but I understand where you're coming from.

Necronic

Staff member
It's hard to describe. The system said he was innocent. I don't agree with the finding, but it did. That should mean he is free.

At the same time, it really is a measure of his I.Q. that he can't seem to lay low and stay out of trouble in such a short time after the circus he just went through. Two speeding tickets, appearing in public at gun shows, and now this stuff with his soon-to-be-ex. At the very least, with all the scrutiny being placed on him, he should have had his own witness go with him and DEFINITELY shouldn't have brought his gun. You're just asking for more controversy, even if the charges end up being false.

GasBandit

Staff member
At the same time, it really is a measure of his I.Q. that he can't seem to lay low and stay out of trouble in such a short time after the circus he just went through. Two speeding tickets, appearing in public at gun shows, and now this stuff with his soon-to-be-ex. At the very least, with all the scrutiny being placed on him, he should have had his own witness go with him and DEFINITELY shouldn't have brought his gun. You're just asking for more controversy, even if the charges end up being false.
Well, at the moment, it seems there won't be charges pressed (see above), but yes... being found innocent does not mean Zimmerman is what you might call a Rhodes Scholar.

Necronic

Staff member
No one forced him to hire the expensive attorney that he did
Didn't we? We made this case a media and political frenzy where lines were drawn. On the one side you had the full weight of a very motivated DA, on the other side you had a guy with a highschool education. And let's be fair, for a case this big that lasted over 1 year 1.4 million (I think that was the lawyer cost), is not that much.

As for his erratic behavior, I can understand it. He killed someone. That's got to fuck you up. On top of that he now has life crippling debt to deal with. And then finally he has a world that still generally hates him, and allies that abandoned him when the winds of political expediency demanded.

ed: The thing people need to appreciate, even if you don't support Zimmerman, is the point that Justice is not blind, its not impartial, and its not final. The court of public opinion will decide a case one way or another, and this is pretty dangerous. Its easy to turn a blind eye to this when you agree with the extra-judicial punishment. But you have to remember that the same thing could happen to anyone, even someone you think was completely innocent and was unfairly targeted by the government for political reasons.

Last edited:
The courts don't favor justice in a lot of cases. People don't bother fixing it. I'm not shedding any tears for George Zimmerman.

Now he threatens his wife "in a defensive manner"? The guy had issues before he shot Trayvon Martin--now he just thinks it's okay.

Maybe next time he murders someone, they'll put him behind bars like they should have done the first time.

Hey now, let's not let facts get in the way of getting ad revenue through increased internet traffic.
FTFY

That's what it's really about. There's no agenda, just an irresponsible drive to be first with a sensational story (accurate or not) so they get more clicks.

I don't feel bad for George Zimmerman, but his life is certainly being turned into a mess versus him turning it into a mess. Hopefully when he wins his lawsuit against MSNBC he can move away to some tropical island where no one knows him.

Wait, did Fox get successfully get sued when they selectively* edited a dozen tapes in the last 10 years? I suppose it depends on the judge in the case if something like that matters.

*presumably since none of us KNOW if they did so and it never went to a trial.

Public figures have a far greater test to prove defamation of character than a private person in court proceedings.

You're making an assumption I'm only talking about public people, and it's just not that simple. While on MSNBC they edited tape to show a bias, don't kid yourself that Fox didn't do the same for the same reason. Only difference is one of the 'private' people was dead and couldn't sue.

They're both shit if you ask me. We're failing as a society if we only hold organizations we don't identify with accountable.