[News] The Trayvon Martin Discussion Thread

Wait, wait, wait, you mean all those people who believed Zimmerman was guilty were wrong?[DOUBLEPOST=1374010060][/DOUBLEPOST]Oooh, I know. The prosecution should have gotten a jury of Martin's peers, rather than Zimmerman's peers.

Which brings me to a question - only adults are called to jury duty, even for child or youth offenders. Are adults really the peers of teenagers and children?

I side with the Monarch. I don't have any "peers," certainly not amongst the nitwits who get picked for jury duty.
I'm still surprised that I didn't get thrown in jail the only time that I was called to jury duty (last year). I told a district attorney that I thought he had a weak case by only basing it on testimony of somebody that had cut a deal with his office. I did this out loud, when questioned by the DA, in front of the whole jury pool I didn't get picked to say the least.

I'm still surprised that I didn't get thrown in jail the only time that I was called to jury duty (last year). I told a district attorney that I thought he had a weak case by only basing it on testimony of somebody that had cut a deal with his office. I did this out loud, when questioned by the DA, in front of the whole jury pool I didn't get picked to say the least.
I did this during my sole call to jury duty. Prosecution's entire case hinged on my believing a cop on just his word. When I told him I could never believe an officer of the law on just his word under any circumstances, the prosecutor asked me why. I told him I lived near New Rome. He instantly had me dismissed, knowing exactly what I meant.

That's the place. What that article doesn't tell you about is how the officers would pull you over, break your taillights, and then ticket you for it. Or how they used the money the government gave them to fight gang violence in the area on new police cruisers. Or how they'd get in their car and run the second they saw a group of more than 4 black kids walking down the street. New Rome was it's own special kind of bad.

Stevie Wonder said Sunday night that he wouldn't perform anywhere that a "Stand Your Ground" law. There are 22 states that have a version of SYG, including California that is is current state of residence. (from CNN)

"I decided today that until the 'stand your ground' law is abolished in Florida, I will never perform there again," Wonder told the audience at a concert in Quebec on Sunday night. "As a matter of fact, wherever I find that law exists, I will not perform in that state or in that part of the world."

Here's a list of states that have a version of this law... (from wikipedia)
Many states have some form of stand-your-ground law. Alabama,[12] Alaska,[13] Arizona,[14] California,[15][16] Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa,[17] Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana,[14] Maine, Massachusetts,[18] Michigan,[14] Mississippi, Missouri, Montana,[14] New Hampshire,[14] North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma,[14] Pennsylvania ,[19], Rhode Island,[20] South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,[14] Texas,[21] Utah,[22] West Virginia,[14], Wisconsin[23] and Wyoming have adopted Castle Doctrine statutes, and other states (Iowa,[24] Virginia,[25] and Washington) have considered stand-your-ground laws of their own.[26][27][28]

GasBandit

Staff member
Stevie Wonder won't perform? Oh no! I'm sure the late 80s are inconsolable. What's next, a rebuttal from Hall and Oates?

Stevie Wonder said Sunday night that he wouldn't perform anywhere that a "Stand Your Ground" law.
That's funny. Of all the people to say, "When someone attacks you, you must run away, you cannot defend yourself" you'd think a blind person wouldn't be one of them.

When I told him I could never believe an officer of the law on just his word under any circumstances,
Cheers for that.

It's understandable, and I get it, but still... mild to moderate double-standard there...[DOUBLEPOST=1374165694][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, we're having a protest this weekend. Riot teams been notified, but we're not expecting issues. Folks here have been, on the whole, pretty reasonable about the issue.

Cheers for that.

It's understandable, and I get it, but still... mild to moderate double-standard there...
For what it's worth, I wouldn't believe a suspect on his word ether. But yes, growing up around corrupt cops really does skew your perspective on the criminal justice system. If it's not the guys just trying to make money through tickets and ignoring all other aspects of their job, it's the deputy neighbor who got away with beating his kids for years because of his status. I realize that I grew up around some of the bad ones and that most cops are just trying to do the best they can, but it's really hard to break things you learn early on.

Like I said, I get it. I'm not out to change your mind, except via being the example of what an officer is SUPPOSED to be.

A little dissenting opinion is good for those in positions of authority. If we're honest with ourselves, it forces us to constantly reevaluate our actions, and ensure that we're doing things right.

A lot of the time, people who understand the way the law works are the people never picked for jury duty. ;)
Just mention jury nullification and you can count yourself out[DOUBLEPOST=1374173164][/DOUBLEPOST]
Like I said, I get it. I'm not out to change your mind, except via being the example of what an officer is SUPPOSED to be.

A little dissenting opinion is good for those in positions of authority. If we're honest with ourselves, it forces us to constantly reevaluate our actions, and ensure that we're doing things right.
I just don't like that in most states in court a police officers word is suppose to be better than a civilians word just based on the fact that he's a cop. Cops lie, civies lie, and both can have their memories tampered with so that they remember something wrong so ones word should not be better than the other /rant

For an officer, lying on the stand is a death sentence for any future work as a LEO. Once your credibility under oath has been shot to hell, no department will want to retain you.

So, needless to say, it's in (most of) our best interests to retain our integrity, if for no other reason than job security.

For an officer, lying on the stand is a death sentence for any future work as a LEO. Once your credibility under oath has been shot to hell, no department will want to retain you.

So, needless to say, it's in (most of) our best interests to retain our integrity, if for no other reason than job security.
Also Cops are more likely to be taking notes at the scene than the average civilian is going to be.

GasBandit

Staff member
"There was some kind of a domestic, we know that with his wife and father-in-law. Apparently there were some weapons involved and threats," the deputy police chief in Lake Mary told ABC News.

Weapons, plural? What was it, a mexican standoff in the dining room?

GasBandit

Staff member
That video is eyerollingly asinine and not even remotely as clever as it thinks it is... which is par for the course whenever Sarah Silverman is involved in something.

Edit - and this one's going out to Gilgamesh's X-Disagree.

sarahsilverman.JPG

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
And now ABC is saying Zimmerman's wife and father in law are refusing to make sworn statements, saying they don't want to press charges.

Whee!

Necronic

Staff member
I honestly feel bad for the guy. I dont agree with what he did, and I still feel he should have served some time. But I think it's really wrong that he now owes like 2 million dollars in legal fees, court costs, and whatnot

He may be free but in a lot of ways his life is over. He has basically zero chance of paying off his debt, and since he's no longer a conservative media darling no one is helping him.