Export thread

The Trayvon Martin Discussion Thread

Limit: 500

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...ld-know-about-about-trayvon-martin-1995-2012/

This whole story is just sickening. It makes me sick about the awful "Castle Doctrine" and "Stand Your Ground" laws. Makes me sick for the gun culture and influence of the toxic NRA in America. I hope this guy is put behind bars so he can shoot no more young colored people for walking down the street.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I have no problem with either "Castle Doctrine" or "Stand Your Ground." "Stand Your Ground" should not apply here because the killer chased the innocent kid down and assaulted him. Then it sounds like the kid defended himself and got shot for it. I cannot see how this case was dismissed so easily.

Soliloquy

Luckily the FBI is looking into this. No way the guy's not going to jail.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I have no problem with either "Castle Doctrine" or "Stand Your Ground." "Stand Your Ground" should not apply here because the killer chased the innocent kid down and assaulted him. Then it sounds like the kid defended himself and got shot for it. I cannot see how this case was dismissed so easily.
"defended himself" by crying out in terror when a man with 100 pounds on him pointed a gun at him, yup, check.

strawman

strawman

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._s_killer_hasn_t_been_prosecuted_.single.html

“In case after case during the past six years, Floridians who shot and killed unarmed opponents have not been prosecuted.”

Now the death of Trayvon Martin is the latest in that line. Maybe this is the kind of case that is so sad and so tinged with racism that Florida will think hard about the very scary place where their self-defense laws have taken them. Maybe.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Oh also, as always, a healthy "Fuck the Police" to the cops that worked hard to cover this up and quiet witnesses.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

"defended himself" by crying out in terror when a man with 100 pounds on him pointed a gun at him, yup, check.
He cried for help, and bloodied the guys nose during the initial scuffle. Then the asshole pulled the gun and shot the kid.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Ugh,

GasBandit

GasBandit

The man shot the kid and should be held accountable. "Castle Doctrine" and "Stand your ground" don't enter into it. If I'm driving my car and staying in my lane and yet still hit somebody, that doesn't mean we need to "revisit" the practice of issuing driver's licenses.

Soliloquy

Well, it certainly looks like Florida needs to revisit the way it applies the Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws, since they were going to let this guy walk.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Castle Law only comes into play if someone breaks into your home/car and refuses to stop/leave. The moment they start to leave, Castle Law goes away and you can't do anything to them without it being homicide.

The kid ran and was chased down. Castle Law does not apply.

Chippy

Chippy

Yeah, I'm not too big on guns or the castle law, but this is less of a Castle Law issue and more of a stupid racist asshole issue.

Dave

Dave

Charlie, did you call him a colored kid?

makare

What a tragic story.

If this is accurate to what happened I have to say this is the part that really made me go wtf!?
12. A police officer “corrected” a key witness. “The officer told the witness, a long-time teacher, it was Zimmerman who cried for help, said the witness. ABC News has spoken to the teacher and she confirmed that the officer corrected her when she said she heard the teenager shout for help.” [ABC News]

I mean, racist gun nut douche bags acting like racist gun nut douche bags is not that surprising but that is just terrifying.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I never blamed the Castle Law on this, it just made me think about it.

Chippy

Chippy

My bad, then. Phrasing in the OP made me think you were.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The part of all this that's making my head hurt is the comparison to Kony 2012. The idea that racism is the cause for this shooting not being talked about on Twitter in the same volume is disgusting, and illogical. I'm not going to even bother listing all the reasons why that's wrong. If you can't examine the issue for yourself and realize that it's far too complex to try to guilt people into feeling racist for not having been talking about this already, then you fail at some basic level. It could be a failure of logic, a poor understanding of how hit-or-miss social memes can be or maybe just poor perspective of scale, scope and time, but whatever the cause, just stop and think!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I do think it's a tragic fact that this would have gotten more coverage if it was a rich white boy.

makare

And probably even more if it had been a rich white girl.

There is always someone more newsworthy.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I do think it's a tragic fact that this would have gotten more coverage if it was a rich white boy.
I doubt that, because the perp would have been arrested on the spot. At least the cops would have followed procedure, and take the shooter in and run the needed tests.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And probably even more if it had been a rich white girl.

There is always someone more newsworthy.
That only gets coverage when the girl goes missing. Then the media can make up fantastic stories about the girl being a sex-slave in Bahrain. Just like Dr. Phil did with Natalee Hollaway. He is a terrible person.

makare

I am really not sure why more news coverage is a good thing. What benefit to the family or the victim is there when the news story is wide spread?

Soliloquy

I am really not sure why more news coverage is a good thing. What benefit to the family or the victim is there when the news story is wide spread?
It did end up getting the feds involved. If it was ignored, media-wise, I bet the guy would have gotten away with it.

As far as the news coverage thing goes, I do have this to say: I work at a local news website, and decided that the federal involvement made it worth putting the story on the front page. Also on the front page was the third story that we've done about a certain white elementary school girl who was hit and killed by a school bus.

The white girl story got 25X as many views. It probably has a lot to do with it being a local story, but still.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

In this case, more coverage and more outrage might lead to the killer being brought to justice so he doesn't do this sort of thing again. Or even possibly changes to the laws so less cowboy vigilantes like this sack of shit have guns.

strawman

strawman

The main problem is that the relevant law depends entirely on whether the person felt as though they were in danger or not.

We need to be able to say, "You may have felt your life was in danger, but that feeling was irrational - there was nothing in his manner, behavior, possessions, or ability that suggested your life was in imminent danger. Even though you felt you were in danger, you were wrong and thus the stand your ground law doesn't apply."

I don't necessarily think the law is wrong, but the fact that someone can say, "I felt my life was in danger from this toddler" and the prosecutor throws up her hands means that it's not being correctly applied. There should be a limit to what counts as a reasonable threat, and people should not be allowed to use that excuse when no reasonable person in the same situation would feel threatened.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Everything about this story makes me sad, and angry.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Castle Laws are a good thing - they protect homeowners against frivolous lawsuits when burglars sue the homeowners for defending their home.

This guy is a douchebag who should swing for hunting down this kid without probable cause. Contemptible schmuck who thinks he's covered by the law.

The officer "correcting" the witness... I can see HOW that might happen, if the officer believed one thing, heard the witness stating the opposite, and wanted to ensure accuracy in reporting. I HOPE that's all that is.

We have several people like this living in one of our subdivisions, albeit without quite so much gunplay. But god forbid you're a black person walking through their neighborhood - you WILL get called about.

And, as with every time he says it, "Fuck you too," to Charlie. Call a hippie next time you need help.

fade

fade

I am in no way defending Zimmerman--the guy should pay for his crime. However, they have to keep saying "may have said", and the Today show went so far as to say it's unclear what he said. The racial slur thing is starting to feel like an unnecessary stretch that may do more harm than good.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Yeah, I think the biggest line I draw with Charlie is his stance against cops, particularly the cops that live in big or dangerous cities. I couldn't imagine what an overnight beat on the Southeast side would consist of. It's a stressful job, and unfortunately, one of those jobs where you're under constant scrutiny from a population that doesn't always necessarily see the good in what you're doing.

Just like teachers though, sometimes there truly are just shitty cops though. I've met a handful of bored big-fish-small-pond-assholes growing up in the suburbs.

BUT ANYWAY. Good thing this story is getting more detail in the news cycle. Justice needs to be served.

Chippy

Chippy

Real Talk: Chippy loves Cops.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Real Talk: Chippy loves Cops.
Send Chippy a cop.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Read about this last night... How horrible. This guy needs to be punished.

fade

fade

I dislike stories like that one. What happened was terrible. Zimmerman and the police involved need to be punished. But this kind of story invites someone to create a separate story about why the police distrust young black males, with just as many anecdotes about innocent cops-to-be-married sprayed with 51 bullets from young black males. The problem's not going to be fixed with incensing, context-free anecdotes that get people in tit-for-tat arguments. Dale Carnegie knew this decades ago.

strawman

strawman

Trayvon Martin was killed and his racist gun-nut vigilante murderer is still free
I haven't read anything about him being a "gun nut." I'm curious what that portion of your statement stems from.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I am a radical on gun ownership, I think it's kind of crazy to carry a gun on your person in public (obviously, cops nonwithstanding)

Covar

Covar

I haven't read anything about him being a "gun nut." I'm curious what that portion of your statement stems from.
He owned one.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

hahahah that fucking letter "look at all these black friends he has!!! he's latino, can't be racist!!!"

Newsflash: Racist doesn't mean white. People of color can be incredibly racist!!!!!

ALSO last time I checked being racist isn't a crime (unfortunately), even if he's not racist, he still fucking murdered a kid!!!!

Soliloquy

hahahah that fucking letter "look at all these black friends he has!!! he's latino, can't be racist!!!"

Newsflash: Racist doesn't mean white. People of color can be incredibly racist!!!!!

ALSO last time I checked being racist isn't a crime (unfortunately), even if he's not racist, he still fucking murdered a kid!!!!
There's more to the story than the first few paragraphs.

SeraRelm

Don't bother. Someone might be racist so anything naysaying that isn't worth reading.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I read the letter.

Soliloquy

I guess the main things I found interesting were

It was dark, and the boy did not see how the fight started, in fact, he only saw one person, a man in a red shirt — Zimmerman — who was on the ground.
and

Zimmerman told police he acted in self-defense. Police found blood on his face and the back of his head as well as grass on the back of his shirt
Pretty much it just shows that there's more to this story than the general knowledge of "guy stalks boy, guy shoots boy" that's being reported everywhere. I still think the guy at least needs to get arrested (I mean, he was following the unarmed kid while carrying a gun [well, the letter denies that he followed anyone, but whatever], then shot the kid to death,) but the actual circumstances of the shooting seem a little less cut-and-dry.

Soliloquy

What worries me is this, though... the guy may very well have an adequate enough legal excuse to not be arrested, no matter how BS his case may be, so even the federal investigation might not end in his arrest. And if that happens... well, things might end badly.

Meep

What worries me is this, though... the guy may very well have an adequate enough legal excuse to not be arrested, no matter how BS his case may be, so even the federal investigation might not end in his arrest. And if that happens... well, things might end badly.
Not only that, but the victim clearly brought it upon himself.

Soliloquy

Oh, boy. Really? Geraldo Rivera is blaming the hoodie? I wear hoodies. I wore one yesterday. They're common clothes worn by people who don't like being cold. And it was raining.

Why people even listen to those guys is beyond me. Or rather... I wish it were beyond me. Stupid networks making money off of confirmation bias.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The only time I look at a person wearing a hoodie as though they are up to no good... is when they are wearing one in Texas during the summer. 98 degrees and a hoodie means that guy is not in his right mind.

SeraRelm

Out of curiosity, was the gated community named Sandford?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Missed it by a "d"

Their neighborhood watch worked better. At least they covered up the crimes in a better manor.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I am a radical on gun ownership, I think it's kind of crazy to carry a gun on your person in public (obviously, cops nonwithstanding)
I'll just leave this here...
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html
http://www.disinfo.com/2010/03/the-police-arent-legally-obligated-to-protect-you/
"Don’t look to Constitution for help. “In its landmark decision of DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services,” Stevens writes, “the U.S. Supreme Court declared that the Constitution does not impose a duty on the state and local governments to protect the citizens from criminal harm.”"

makare

If you are going to leave it there probably should explain what your point is exactly.

Soliloquy

Well, it seems to me that he's saying that since police aren't obligated to protect you by law, people should be allowed to protect themselves with firearms.

fade

fade

Ah the classic a implies b, therefore b must imply a. This case was to prevent frivolous lawsuits, not to say that police won't protect you.

makare

Yeah that'll work out just fine....

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I wonder how many police procedural shows will have an episode based on this for the opening of the fall season...

Covar

Covar

Sadly Law & Order won't. :(

Gared

Gared

I wonder how many police procedural shows will have an episode based on this for the opening of the fall season...
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the answer to your question is, "yes."

Soliloquy

Ah the classic a implies b, therefore b must imply a. This case was to prevent frivolous lawsuits, not to say that police won't protect you.
Yeah that'll work out just fine....
Well, to turn this around on you, would you say that a woman in a situation such as the one described in the story shouldn't be allowed to protect herself or her children with a gun?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the answer to your question is, "yes."
I was looking for a Number between 2 and 20...

Is there any other form of Drama on American TV?

Soliloquy

Well, the CSI people technically aren't police. So... there's that?

Gared

Gared

That's my stock answer for "all of them."

Covar

Covar

Well, the CSI people technically aren't police. So... there's that?
They're the Las Vegas Equivalent of Judge Dredd.

Soliloquy

They're the Las Vegas Equivalent of Judge Dredd.
Though they also take the time after each case to make sure the suspect feels adequately bad about themselves, moving their jurisdiction to the emotional realm as well.

strawman

strawman

Though they also take the time after each case to make sure the suspect feels adequately bad about themselves, moving their jurisdiction to the emotional realm as well.
It appeals to the visceral need humans have for making people not only meet justice, but know they were wrongity wrong wrong wrong.

Much like internet arguments...

Soliloquy

It appeals to the visceral need humans have for making people not only meet justice, but know they were wrongity wrong wrong wrong.

Much like internet arguments...
Wrong!

strawman

strawman

Oooh burn. I totally got what I deserved and you can tell by my expression as I do the perp walk.

makare

Well, to turn this around on you, would you say that a woman in a situation such as the one described in the story shouldn't be allowed to protect herself or her children with a gun?
I'd say the chance of the "protection" working out for her is less likely then a story of child accidentally shoots self, sibling, dog etc with mothers gun.

Soliloquy

I'd say the chance of the "protection" working out for her is less likely then a story of child accidentally shoots self, sibling, dog etc with mothers gun.
So, is that a "no?"

makare

Do I think she should be able to carry a gun? sure
do I think it is the right move? absolutely not.

Happy?

Soliloquy

Do I think she should be able to carry a gun? sure
do I think it is the right move? absolutely not.

Happy?
Fair enough. And you're right to be concerned about having guns in the house with children -- statistically, gun accidents happen a lot more often than people successfully defending themselves using guns. Too many people buy guns with the mindset that "guns mean safety" (or worse, "guns mean I'm cool!") without taking into consideration the fact that guns are extremely dangerous.

I guess the question is whether that's an issue of owning guns, or whether it's an issue of lax gun safety. A gun accident is unlikely to happen if the weapon is unloaded and locked in a gun safe with the key kept elsewhere. I haven't heard of any accidents that have happened when those rules were followed.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm just going to put out there that the 2nd Amendment is an antiquated addition to the constitution and was only relevent when we had a real threat of not having a standing militia. It has been whored out to be something that it never really was by the absolutely insane NRA.

This is coming from someone who's dad was a cop and a hunter and has been around guns most his life. I even used to enjoy going to the shooting range. I still think the whole "if guns are made criminal, only criminals will have guns" and "guns don't kill people, people kill people" are some of the most stupid arguments ever put forth.

And that's pretty much all I have to say about that.

Frank

Frank

https://twitter.com/#!/GeraldoRivera

Well, you guys are all idiots. It wasn't guns or racists but the hoodie that caused this whole tragedy.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

https://twitter.com/#!/GeraldoRivera

Well, you guys are all idiots. It wasn't guns or racists but the hoodie that caused this whole tragedy.
Oh come on... That's just a helluva stupid argument.

By that reasoning, I should have been arrested every time when on weekend leave back when I was doing my armed service. Our hair was shaved off, so as a tall, broad-shouldered, twenty-something white man I should have been a prime target in suspicion of racist crimes. Skinheads, you know?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Oh, for the love of Zod...

Jesus, Geraldo is such an idiot.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I'm just going to put out there that the 2nd Amendment is an antiquated addition to the constitution and was only relevent when we had a real threat of not having a standing militia. It has been whored out to be something that it never really was by the absolutely insane NRA.

This is coming from someone who's dad was a cop and a hunter and has been around guns most his life. I even used to enjoy going to the shooting range. I still think the whole "if guns are made criminal, only criminals will have guns" and "guns don't kill people, people kill people" are some of the most stupid arguments ever put forth.

And that's pretty much all I have to say about that.
I have to disagree, the point of the 2A is so that the people don't have to fear an oppressing government like England for example. The 2A is there so that the government fears the people.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

And it's been working so well lately, too...

makare

I also fear the hell out of the people for similar reasons.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Fucking psychos in this world man. Just about anyone can use the "self-defense" excuse nowadays. And he may WALK just because of some racist incompetent acist ass-hole cop. This fuckin' country. I couldn't even get past number 17, it was just too friggin scary and real man.

Krisken

Krisken

Well crap. Looks like the Castle Doctrine law in WI applies to a case that has claimed the life of a 20 year old trying to hide from police during an underage party.

Be nice to find a happy medium between self defense and giving people an excuse to load a weapon and fire it on an unarmed person.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Hey, look at that, Are we surprised that this kid is also black?

Krisken

Krisken

Hey, look at that, Are we surprised that this kid is also black?
Considering there are roughly 20 black people from West Bend, yes, I was surprised.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Considering there are roughly 20 black people from West Bend, yes, I was surprised.
My wife says quite a bit live in West Bend because of how close it is to Milwaukee

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

19*

Bones

Bones

I still feel like this whole deal hinges on the fact that gentleman in question exited his SUV to confront the victim. He was instructed not to, but decided to anyways.

SeraRelm

I'm only offering this as another point of view, not saying I agree or disagree with it: On the opposite side of the spectrum, what if this neighborhood watch guy got shot and killed for checking out something suspicious without having a firearm for protection? I'm not going to defend someone killing another, but having the firearm if you're trying to protect your community doesn't seem like a bad idea. Shitty situation with a shitty outcome, regardless of who was involved.

This, however, I agree with.
Though I'd say "worse" instead of "badly".

SeraRelm

And Charlie Don't Surf, you definitely have a way of making people not want to agree with your point of view just because of the self righteous condescension you convey (purposefully or not) in your posts.

fade

fade

That's what I meant when I said that it's not what's said, it's how it's said. Many times in history it has been pointed out that the quickest way to start an unwinnable argument is to tell your opponent he or she is wrong. They will immediately take the defensive, even if they originally agreed with you.

SeraRelm

That's what I meant when I said that it's not what's said, it's how it's said. Many times in history it has been pointed out that the quickest way to start an unwinnable argument is to tell your opponent he or she is wrong. They will immediately take the defensive, even if they originally agreed with you.
You're wrong!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

And Charlie Don't Surf, you definitely have a way of making people not want to agree with your point of view just because of the self righteous condescension you convey (purposefully or not) in your posts.
sorry for party rocking

Krisken

Krisken

My wife says quite a bit live in West Bend because of how close it is to Milwaukee
Unless there has been a huge migration in the last 10 years and they're afraid to go outside, being black is still a the smallest minority in the city. It's not called "White Bend" for nothing. (besides, I DO live here, ya know)

ElJuski

ElJuski

The community watch guy having a gun isn't the problem; having what looks like a deranged person wielding a gun--especially if he already has a prejudice--against an innocent kid (even if he's wearing a hoodie, lol Geraldo) is the problem.

This country needs a massive attitude adjustment towards culture, race, and guns. And it's fascinating to see this all play out on a grand media scale. Once again, the latent prejudices, fears and anxieties concerning race relations comes out, and it's ugly, ugly, ugly.

Knee-jerk reactions won't save shit though.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Just ban hoodies. Bam. Problem solved

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It wasn't until I read this story elsewhere that I decided to open this thread. I usually stay out of these threads because the arguments over politics just get too heated and devolve into flamewars too quickly and too often.
I don't really have much to add to the conversation. It doesn't look like anyone does, really. The whole story is just repulsive.

I just popped in to point out that Fox News sold hoodies on its website, and they were taken off shortly after Giraldo made his comments.

No, I don't peruse Fox News for merch.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/fox-news-irresponsibly-selling-dangerous-hoodies

Krisken

Krisken

Seems most people agree that knee-jerk reactions are bad and would only cause problems in the future regarding gun laws, but something should be done to prevent things like this in the future. Pretty reasonable, I think.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I believe I shall invest in a black "Cops" hoodie. :troll:

Bones

Bones

shocking news today, as one of savannah's finest was accidentally shot to death by a vigilante who thought he was a criminal because of his hoodie. The truly unfortunate part was that the police officer himself was investigating reports of said vigilante following youths in hoodies.
:rage:

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

"I regret nothing..."

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Seems most people agree that knee-jerk reactions are bad and would only cause problems in the future regarding gun laws, but something should be done to prevent things like this in the future. Pretty reasonable, I think.
Yeah there's "stand your ground" and then there's "stalk the guy confront him then kill him and claim self defense"

Adam

Adammon

Thread seems to have died a bit as more details have emerged conflicting with the title of this thread.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Thread seems to have died a bit as more details have emerged conflicting with the title of this thread.
go on

Adam

Adammon

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=16000239

Tl dr version

Zimmerman attacked by Martin
Head smashed into ground
Eye witness corroborates Zimmerman
Injuries to Zimmerman consistent with account
Martin suspended for mj possession
Has prior suspensions for assault

I guess waiting for facts is so unhip nowadays.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Tl dr version

Zimmerman attacked by Martin
Head smashed into ground
Eye witness corroborates Zimmerman
Injuries to Zimmerman consistent with account
Has prior suspensions for assault

MJ possession. Well, clearly he was a psycho that needed to be put down.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

If Zimmerman ran up to him after the police told him to stop, pointed a gun in his face, then got pushed down, THEN shot him, he's still a piece of shit gun-nut vigilante murderer.

Probably still a racist too

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Now that Zimmerman has a $10,000 bounty on his head, he knows how it feels to be hunted by vigilantes.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Tl dr version

Zimmerman attacked by Martin -according to Zimmerman. Which was already his report.
Head smashed into ground - Even according to his own report, this happened when Martin was "trying to take his gun". Meaning he had pulled a gun on a 17 year old kid and the kid fought back. Which was already included in the initial reports.
Eye witness corroborates Zimmerman - corroborates that he saw a guy lying on the grass and in pain. This doesn't in any way conflict either story. It doesn't really support either one, either.
Injuries to Zimmerman consistent with account - Again. Nothing new.
Martin suspended for mj possession - Entirely irrelevant to the case. He probably got grounded as a kid too!
Has prior suspensions for assault - Where'd you see that? I read through what you just posted three times and didn't see anything mentioning that.

I'm all for Innocent until proven guilty, but the facts remain unchanged. In fact that was my theory on why this thread has slowed down; everyone's already said their two cents, and nothing new has come up for anyone to add anything new.

PotaDOS

A gun accident is unlikely to happen if the weapon is unloaded and locked in a gun safe with the key kept elsewhere. I haven't heard of any accidents that have happened when those rules were followed.
I don't understand the point of this. If you want a weapon for defense, why make it so difficult to acquire when your safety is threatened? I guess to me, if I hear thieves breaking through a window in my home after midnight, I'd much rather grab a baseball bat or something that I keep under my bed over trying to find and then fumble with a safe key before loading my firearm. I don't imagine too many scenarios where I would be totally calm in retrieving my weapon with from its safe with plenty of time to spare so I can prevent myself from becoming a corpse.

I have to disagree, the point of the 2A is so that the people don't have to fear an oppressing government like England for example. The 2A is there so that the government fears the people.
I don't think this kind of logic applies anymore. I also don't think I have to explain why.

Dave

Dave

My biggest problem with guns isn't that there's a background check before getting one, it's because there's no IQ test.

Krisken

Krisken

My biggest problem with guns isn't that there's a background check before getting one, it's because there's no IQ test.
Sadly, stupid actions aren't restricted to stupid people.

Chippy

Chippy

WELL FUCK ME WHAT A DANGER TO SOCIETY

Adam

Adammon

To the intelligencia taking solely one part of a list and flipping tables,my only response is a simple shake of the head.

I truly feel this story is being sold more than told. Right from the picture of Zimmerman in orange prison clothes to a 4 year old picture of Martin In the end, it is a shame that one person lay dead and another whose life is ruined but I'm not about to turn off my brain because I'm being pushed to a conclusion.

Of course it's entirely possible that an entire police force and investigation is conspiring against a sweet innocent black kid.

Krisken

Krisken

To the intelligencia taking solely one part of a list and flipping tables,my only response is a simple shake of the head.

I truly feel this story is being sold more than told. Right from the picture of Zimmerman in orange prison clothes to a 4 year old picture of Martin In the end, it is a shame that one person lay dead and another whose life is ruined but I'm not about to turn off my brain because I'm being pushed to a conclusion.

Of course it's entirely possible that an entire police force and investigation is conspiring against a sweet innocent black kid.
Or more likely a story is being invented now that the whole police force is catching shit and a nation is angry at them. Ya know, cause that could never happen.

There are two stories here. My guess is something in the middle occurred. Now it's just damage control.

Dave

Dave

Sadly, stupid actions aren't restricted to stupid people.
Well, you'll notice I have yet to chime in on this other than a snarky comment or two. Let me give my take.

Nobody knows what all happened on that night and we probably won't. One reason for this is that one of the main people in the altercation is dead. So was it a self-defense shooting? Nope. I fail to see how it was considering Zimmerman was expressly told to stop following Martin and yet did not. But it is not clear if he did so because he's racist or because he had an overly large sense of importance. So let's look at this from each point of view.

Zimmerman: It's night in a gated community. Here's a guy - regardless of race, although I still believe this had some bearing on the situation based on what Zimmerman could be heard saying - walking around in a hoodie and looking around. To Zimmerman this looked suspicious. And since he was carrying a weapon without proper training or knowledge of use, it was used to escalate the situation instead of diffusing it. He went full Rambo and tried to take the law into his own hands, chasing the guy until the altercation occurred. Whether Martin physically assaulted Zimmerman is immaterial at this point. At NO TIME should Zimmerman have been in close enough proximity to Martin to have this go down. The whole situation is 100% Zimmerman's fault, even if this turns out to be a self-defense shooting. He was in a situation over his head and instead of following orders he kept at it.

Martin: He's walking home to his aunt's house when this guy starts to follow him. It's dark and the guy keeps watching him. He tries to walk away but the guy runs to catch back up and find him. At that point (or a point quite close to that), Martin approaches the individual and words are exchanged. A physical altercation happens and Martin is shot. Martin is 100% at fault for approaching the guy following him for any reason. He should have walked to his aunt's house or called the cops on the phone. Instead, he got all macho and got killed for it.

In summation, both sides were equally stupid. Zimmerman for being too gung ho and Martin for letting his testosterone and pride take over where his brain should have. The police were stupid for dismissing the shooting as quickly as they did without allowing any information from the investigation to be seem by the public. If it were that clean of a shooting, the parents of the boy should have been allowed to view it instead of being shut out completely. And the public is fucking stupid for jumping on this like they did. I can understand the consternation, but the bounty on Zimmerman's head is just fucking dumb and all the big names - and yes, I'm talking about you as well, Mr. President - should just shut the fuck up and wait for the facts to be brought to light. To instantly condemn the shooter as a racist wanna-be is just as gross a miscarriage of justice as those now trying to paint Martin as a thug punk to justify the attack. Not that first impressions and demonizing people ever turned out to be wrong. Except that Senator who everyone thought killed that girl but even though he didn't he lost his job. Or the Atlanta Olympic bomber that turns out was a hero but his life got ruined anyway. Or the stupid Kony thing where the "charity" taking shitloads of money used it for everything but charity. I could go on with examples for days.

In short:

Martin - Stupid kid.
Zimmerman - Dumbass in a situation he had business being in.
Police - PR and handling disaster.
Everyone else - Grabbed up pitchforks before knowing what the fuck was happening.

makare

So martin is stupid for not turning his back on some nutjob who is stalking him?

I gotta disagree there.

Chippy

Chippy

To the intelligencia taking solely one part of a list and flipping tables,my only response is a simple shake of the head
Probs because checkered already went through your post with his rebuttal. And using "possession of mj" to make a guy seem dangerous is lolworthy.

But naw you're shaking your head. We are the stupid ones and you are the enlightened intelligent person in a sea of idiots

makare

woah watch out chippy you might have just made a post that actually has some meaning. Don't want to set a precedent.

Chippy

Chippy

well fuck

makare

there we go.

Dave

Dave

So martin is stupid for not turning his back on some nutjob who is stalking him?

I gotta disagree there.
You got someone following you in the night and you don't think going home or calling the cops is the right answer? You think confronting the person following you is the right answer? Seriously? Makare, I sincerely hope you're smarter than that.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I remember being a logical, intelligent 40-some year old guy not in the situation at the exact moment when I was a seventeen-year old.

Dave

Dave

I remember being a logical, intelligent 40-some year old guy not in the situation at the exact moment when I was a seventeen-year old.
When I was 17 I got into a bar fight with a dude who yelled some stuff at a female friend of mine. Yeah, 17 year olds are fucking dumb sometimes when being macho. Doesn't mean it was the smart thing to do. In either his case or mine. In each case it was as much the fault of the 17 year old as the old gent.

ElJuski

ElJuski

It's not the kid's fault he got shot. Whatsoever. And its sad that we live in a society where putting that sort of blame on that kid is okay. We have all fostered a place where that outcome is possible, and we have all fostered a place where when it happens, we cluck our tongues and go, "welp, that guy was a dumbass." It's really, really sad.

Dave

Dave

It's not the kid's fault he got shot. Whatsoever. And its sad that we live in a society where putting that sort of blame on that kid is okay. We have all fostered a place where that outcome is possible, and we have all fostered a place where when it happens, we cluck our tongues and go, "welp, that guy was a dumbass." It's really, really sad.
If the kid confronted the guy and is the one who started the physical portion of the altercation, you damned right he's got some blame to shoulder. If I start the violence and end up getting shot there's got to be some blame apportioned out to me, whether the guy was a little too eager to shoot or not. But you can read into what I said all you want. If it's dark out and someone is following me, I'm in no way going to confront them.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Getting shot is much different than getting punched in the face. Getting the shit kicked out of you and learning a lesson is MUCH different than losing your life.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

The public is, as a rule, fucking retarded, given any major incident. Sorry, but it's a fact. Agent K's phrasing in "Men in Black" sums it up perfectly.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

holy shit I can't believe that you are blaming Martin and calling him macho for getting shot

ElJuski

ElJuski

No one's arguing people's retardation. But people's retardation shouldn't be an excuse to rest on our laurels, or to fail to consider there are much better options to grow as a people and a culture.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

ElJuski Now THAT is a sentiment I can agree with.

Dave

Dave

Getting shot is much different than getting punched in the face. Getting the shit kicked out of you and learning a lesson is MUCH different than losing your life.
I see. So you have the same facts as me and are willing to absolve Martin of all blame. Huh.

Just because he's a victim doesn't mean he's innocent, regardless of the intentions of the shooter. I'm saying we just don't know and both men put themselves into a position where this thing happened, so they both deserve some blame. But as I've explained it all and you've chosen to be concrete with your belief one way or another, I think I'll stop arguing with the wall now.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I mean, it's kind of sad, because Trayvon Martin could have been any one of my students. By the end of 2012 I bet you at least three kids in our school will either be dead, missing, or in jail. But just because they're--and let's take the worst case scenario here--arrogant dickhead bastards with no goddamn sense, doesn't mean they deserve to die.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Shifting the blame on the kid is fucking pointless because the violence in retaliation was so unnecessary. The kid didn't play his cards right--nobody ever does. But it's not his fault that the reaction was goddamn awful.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

holy shit I can't believe that you are blaming Martin and calling him macho for getting shot
The evidence does support Martin punching Zimmerman in the face and slamming his head into the ground.

Yet still if Zimmerman did not: a, follow Martin 2, approach on foot c, confront and corner him... Martin would not be in the situation to assault Zimmerman.

Dave

Dave

I mean, it's kind of sad, because Trayvon Martin could have been any one of my students. By the end of 2012 I bet you at least three kids in our school will either be dead, missing, or in jail. But just because they're--and let's take the worst case scenario here--arrogant dickhead bastards with no goddamn sense, doesn't mean they deserve to die.
But if they attack people physically on a darkened street then their risk of dying is much, much greater. This was the case of two people who let their egos and pride get the better of themselves and escalate a situation where nothing had to happen. Had Zimmerman follow directions things would have gone okay. Had Martin not approached Zimmerman and instead just left (or called the cops) things would have turned out okay. But both people - on the phone with others, by the way - acted in a way that was diametrically opposed to how they should have.

ElJuski

ElJuski

When my student doesn't bring in his homework, he's partly to blame when I break his fucking fingers.

Dave

Dave

I'm calling him a macho idiot for supposedly confronting and attacking the guy following him in the dark instead of calling the police or finding a safe & well-lit place or going home. Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. And I'm not wrong.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Well I mean derr, Dave, I get it. People make mistakes. I think that's a stupid argument that gets in the way of the fact a kid was murdered.

Dave

Dave

When my student doesn't bring in his homework, he's partly to blame when I break his fucking fingers.
If your student punches you in the face and starts to ram your head into the floor and you break his fucking fingers? What then? Physically attacking someone =/= not doing homework. But nice strawman.

ElJuski

ElJuski

And, Dave, I think what's causing as much contention seems to be that people are reading your statement as "the kid was dumb and he deserved it". I can go with you halfway. The kid had better options. I am staunchly opposed to the second half, if that's what you're saying.

ElJuski

ElJuski

If your student punches you in the face and starts to ram your head into the floor and you break his fucking fingers? What then? Physically attacking someone =/= not doing homework. But nice strawman.
I get help or put him in a restraint because I'm a fucking adult. Because these sorts of situations happen at my school on a pretty regular basis. I don't murder the kid.

Krisken

Krisken

But if they attack people physically on a darkened street then their risk of dying is much, much greater. This was the case of two people who let their egos and pride get the better of themselves and escalate a situation where nothing had to happen. Had Zimmerman follow directions things would have gone okay.
This is where I have a problem, Dave. Full STOP here. Kids are especially dumb. The watch captain, having been given directions by authorities which would have prevented escalation, instead escalated matters on his own.

ElJuski

ElJuski

And yes, that's my point. "Appropriate response =/= shooting someone". Thank you.

PotaDOS

You know how if you park your car in a parking space that belongs to you, and some drunken asshole blazes through and bangs up your vehicle, your insurance company will raise your rates because it was your fault you parked it where a drunken driver might slam into it?

Sorry, Dave, but your argument isn't much better than that. There is no scenario where stalking a guy while carrying a loaded weapon just because they're "looking suspicious" (also known as wearing a hoodie) is ok. It might not have been the smartest thing to turn around, but really, I can't see why you're blaming the dead guy.

Chippy

Chippy

Kid. Dead kid.

makare

I still disagree with Dave completely. Also, just as a nitpick they can't BOTH be a 100% responsible. If they are equal parts responsible it would be 50% at least as far as calculating negligence and damages goes.

I say Travyon acted completely reasonably and is not at fault in any way. Just because there was something that would have been a BETTER move doesn't mean what he did was wrong. Shooting someone you have been stalking like an animal is wrong.. pretty much always wrong. Even the cops can't get away with that one under most circumstances.

Dave

Dave

I'm saying that it's as much his fault as the other guy's. Zimmerman is a fucking moron, but until physically attacked I doubt he'd have done anything. As it stands, he was getting beaten and he panicked as untrained people carrying weapons do. When people carrying have no training, that's when stupid shit like this happens. Zimmerman overreacted, but he didn't just run the kid down in cold blood. The kid felt the need to escalate a situation that didn't need to be. He has to shoulder some of the blame for this by starting the physical side of it.

Zimmerman will either (a) get off with a self defense or (b) be charged with manslaughter. Personally, I think it should be (b) as he had no right carrying the weapon in the first place and he disobeyed a direct order from the 911 operator to stand down and let the real authorities handle it. In fact, I don't see (a) as much of a possibility due to the damning evidence of the initial 911 call.

DO I think Martin deserved to die? Of course not! Do I think he had any reasonable reason to think he might be shot attacking a stranger in the night? That's a bit more murky. You don't attack ANYONE without accepting some of the consequences.

Dave

Dave

I say Travyon acted completely reasonably and is not at fault in any way. Just because there was something that would have been a BETTER move doesn't mean what he did was wrong. Shooting someone you have been stalking like an animal is wrong.. pretty much always wrong. Even the cops can't get away with that one under most circumstances.
You think Martin acted 100% reasonably? You, madam, are [redacted to fit in the rules of the board].

And I said 100% for both because I don't know the exact percentages and they both acted irresponsibly.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I wish that the media would quit calling Zimmerman "The Neighborhood Watch Captain" he was none of those things. He was just a douche that was really obsessed with crime. Who would drive around the neighborhood calling in "suspicious people." It never turned out to be anyone committing a crime either.

Also "We don't need you to be doing that," is not a command. A command is "Stop following that kid. We have a cruiser on the way."

makare

I think dave just likes using the term 100%.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Some dispatch supervisors don't like the dispatchers giving orders to complainants, as they have dubious legal authority to issue a citizen orders... sixpackshaker raises a very salient point, that may end up being part of the defense strategy.

Null

Null

So the lesson is, if you don't want to get shot by an over-reacting vigilante, don't be a black kid in a hoodie.

makare

I feel bad for the dispatcher then. Hope he/she isn't held responsible I mean it sucks that this guy was a nut who needed the "hey stop being a lunatic" written out for him but I think it wasn't unreasonable for the dispatcher not to think that.

I realize that is kind of confusing. I can't really explain what I mean very well about that issue.

Frank

Frank

So the lesson is, if you don't want to get shot by an over-reacting vigilante, don't be a black kid in a hoodie.
Yeah, it's an awesome message to send. It's basically the same thing as Geraldo telling women to knock it off with all that pesky having vaginas nonsense if they wanna avoid rape.

fade

fade

I'm not the first to make the comparison, but this is sounding an awful lot like "she was raped because she was asking for it with those clothes".

EDIT: Ninja'd.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And don't punch an armed stranger in the nose.

Chippy

Chippy

yeah, fuck that scared teenaged kid for acting like a scared teenage kid

Null

Null

Yeah, it's an awesome message to send. It's basically the same thing as Geraldo telling women to knock it off with all that pesky having vaginas nonsense if they wanna avoid rape.
That's pretty much how I meant it, yeah.

Frank

Frank

Again the problem with our society, we focus almost entirely on don't get raped rather than on the don't rape aspect.

I shouldn't say THE problem but rather A problem.

Dave

Dave

I'm not the first to make the comparison, but this is sounding an awful lot like "she was raped because she was asking for it with those clothes".
Yeah, they're exactly the same thing. :rolleyes:

Frank

Frank

Yeah, they're exactly the same thing. :rolleyes:
When he's referring to Geraldo blaming it on hoodies, it's very similar.

SeraRelm

Dave, I agree with you 100% if what we've heard about the altercation holds true. Its like running into traffic and getting hit. They should have swerved, but you ran in.

Dave

Dave

When he's referring to Geraldo blaming it on hoodies, it's very similar.
Gotcha. I thought it was leveled at me.

Frank

Frank

Gotcha. I thought it was leveled at me.
I take it back, he may have been. I missed the entire 4th page of posts.

figmentPez

figmentPez

You know how if you park your car in a parking space that belongs to you, and some drunken asshole blazes through and bangs up your vehicle, your insurance company will raise your rates because it was your fault you parked it where a drunken driver might slam into it?

Sorry, Dave, but your argument isn't much better than that. There is no scenario where stalking a guy while carrying a loaded weapon just because they're "looking suspicious" (also known as wearing a hoodie) is ok. It might not have been the smartest thing to turn around, but really, I can't see why you're blaming the dead guy.
There is nothing wrong with parking in a designated parking space. That is not a foolish choice to make. Confronting someone who is stalking you is not a wise decision. A more apt parking comparison would be parking on the shoulder of a busy highway, when there are other parking spaces available. If a drunk plows into your car when you parked someplace unwise, that doesn't absolve you of the foolishness of poor parking. The guilt of bad parking choices does not mean you deserve to have your car destroyed, but you're still foolish to park there no matter what happens afterwards. The two things are not actually related. Even though the car would not have been destroyed by the drunk driver if it had been parked in a designated spot, and not just on the side of the road, that is not the cause of the destruction, and the destruction does not negate foolishness in parking.

fade

fade

Wasn't really leveled at anyone specific. Just at the whole idea that this kid brought it on himself by doing what he did.

Mathias

Mathias

I'm saying that it's as much his fault as the other guy's. Zimmerman is a fucking moron, but until physically attacked I doubt he'd have done anything. As it stands, he was getting beaten and he panicked as untrained people carrying weapons do. When people carrying have no training, that's when stupid shit like this happens. Zimmerman overreacted, but he didn't just run the kid down in cold blood. The kid felt the need to escalate a situation that didn't need to be. He has to shoulder some of the blame for this by starting the physical side of it.

Zimmerman will either (a) get off with a self defense or (b) be charged with manslaughter. Personally, I think it should be (b) as he had no right carrying the weapon in the first place and he disobeyed a direct order from the 911 operator to stand down and let the real authorities handle it. In fact, I don't see (a) as much of a possibility due to the damning evidence of the initial 911 call.

DO I think Martin deserved to die? Of course not! Do I think he had any reasonable reason to think he might be shot attacking a stranger in the night? That's a bit more murky. You don't attack ANYONE without accepting some of the consequences.
I agree that Martin did not act responsibly. He was a 15 year old kid! They're all dipshits! Zimmerman is the adult in the situation and is 100% responsible for what happened.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Again the problem with our society, we focus almost entirely on don't get raped rather than on the don't rape aspect.

I shouldn't say THE problem but rather A problem.
Ah, I like your edit (glad it showed up when I went to quote your post.)

We also focus a lot on "don't get robbed" instead of "don't steal". There's far more invested in the sale of door locks, home safes and other stuff than there is in campaigns to tell people not to steal.

ElJuski

ElJuski

because you're an idiot if you get robbed, you idiot

Dave

Dave

Attacking someone and getting shot =/= being the victim of a robbery.

I'm done. You guys all can make up your minds without a thorough investigation. Me? I'm waiting until the facts of the case are in. Because none of us know them right now.

ElJuski

ElJuski

lol nice out

ElJuski

ElJuski

so anyways, let's make this more productive: What are the reasonable circumstances for shooting and murdering an unarmed teenager?

Discuss.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

so anyways, let's make this more productive: What are the reasonable circumstances for shooting and murdering an unarmed teenager?

Discuss.
Wow... just... wow...

Null

Null

Well, first you need to stalk him for a while.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I've got one: if he's turning into a monster.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Discuss.
You're tricking me into liking you again. It won't work this time. I mean it!

ElJuski

ElJuski

You're tricking me into liking you again. It won't work this time. I mean it!
All you have to do is segway the topic into memes and good posting, and we can get back into this hate business once more.

strawman

strawman

I'm saying that it's as much his fault as the other guy's.
There's a law in that state that says if you are being threatened you are allowed to use force to protect yourself. Martin perhaps should have kept walking, but he didn't half to. If he threw the first punch, then he started an altercation that he only realized was dangerous when zimmerman pulled a gun. At that point I doubt anything could have helped him, because suddenly zimmerman started using that law.

If Zimmerman pushed him first, then he started the altercation.

In the end I feel like the teacher, "I don't care who was following who and who punched who first. You're both suspended!"

It's obvious that a series of seemingly innocuous bad choices were made on both sides, and it ended badly. It's not illegal to follow someone. It's not illegal to evade someone. It's not illegal to approach someone. It's not illegal to taunt or question someone. It's not illegal to ignore questions, respond with your own, or get really close and shout at someone.

At some point someone crossed the line, and someone else followed suit and the situation spun out of control. Unfortunately the victor often gets to rewrite history.

While he may have been stupid, he may have had every right to defend himself if he thought this larger guy presented a threat to him. If you're faced with a bigger guy who's been chasing you for awhile you don't pull your punches. You get in, disable him, and get out.

I don't know enough about the case to say one way or the other, but if you're going to speculate that he was wrong, then you might as well explore the idea that he might have had no better choice.

Soliloquy

Here's a news release from the Sanford, Florida City Manager. I get the sinking feeling that Zimmerman's not going to be arrested, considering the following excerpts:

when any police officer makes an arrest for any reason, the officer MUST swear and affirm that he/she is making the arrest in good faith and with probable cause. If the arrest is done maliciously and in bad faith, the officer and the City may be held liable.
the telecommunications call taker asked Zimmerman “Are you following him”. Zimmerman replied, “Yes”. The call taker stated “You don’t need to do that”. The call taker’s suggestion is not a lawful order that Mr. Zimmerman would be required to follow.
That said, Zimmerman confronting someone who was simply walking down the street was extremely stupid on his part. If Zimmerman didn't shoot the kid after being hurt, Martin might have gotten off with self defense as well, seeing as a big guy who had been stalking him suddenly left his car and confronted him.

Self defense laws are a tricky thing -- often, they only require you to reasonably believe that you are in danger for them to be considered self defense.

Also:

I agree that Martin did not act responsibly. He was a 15 year old kid! They're all dipshits! Zimmerman is the adult in the situation and is 100% responsible for what happened.
Just thought I'd add that apparently Martin was 17 (I'm also hearing allegations that the photos that were given to the media are around 3-5 years old, but that's only from fringe right-wing sites so far.) It doesn't make what Zimmerman did any less horrific (nor does it take Martin out of the "dipshit" age group) but the difference between being beaten by a 15-year-old and being beaten by a 17-year-old is probably significant as far as the laws applied are concerned (reasonable belief and all that). Your point still stands, though. You can't expect a scared young kid to keep a level head after being stalked and then confronted by a large man.

Mathias

Mathias

I don't get it. A kid is dead for doing... nothing... I don't care how the fight between them started. Zimmerman is the reason for it because he ignored what 911 told him to do, and freaking instigated the whole thing.

Say you have a situation where someone spots a car driving recklessly in front of them (not even a good analogy because Martin was doing nothing suspicious), and they report it to 911. 911 tells them not to follow the car, and that police are on their way. That person ignores 911 and follows the car ahead closely. The car speeds up. The person reporting speeds up to keep up. The car is now driving more recklessly to evade its pursuer, and ends up T-boning another car at an intersection. The person who followed the car in the first place instigated the accident. Zimmerman instigated the reaction from Martin, and then shot him.

Zimmerman is a murderer.

Soliloquy

I don't get it. A kid is dead for doing... nothing... I don't care how the fight between them started. Zimmerman is the reason for it because he ignored what 911 told him to do, and freaking instigated the whole thing.

Say you have a situation where someone spots a car driving recklessly in front of them (not even a good analogy because Martin was doing nothing suspicious), and they report it to 911. 911 tells them not to follow the car, and that police are on their way. That person ignores 911 and follows the car ahead closely. The car speeds up. The person reporting speeds up to keep up. The car is now driving more recklessly to evade its pursuer, and ends up T-boning another car at an intersection. The person who followed the car in the first place instigated the accident. Zimmerman instigated the reaction from Martin, and then shot him.

Zimmerman is a murderer.

The thing is, he wasn't told "don't follow him," he was told "you don't have to follow him," which has completely different connotations.

It doesn't change that he killed an unarmed kid. It does mean that there is a lot less of a reason to arrest him.

strawman

strawman

The person who followed the car in the first place instigated the accident.
But that person would not be in trouble. That's the difficulty with this type of situation. What he did was wrong - bottom line.

But what law would you create that would make what he did illegal? Think carefully - a lot of other people have, and so far no one has a better idea.

Maybe you can crack the code.

SeraRelm

doing... nothing... .
knocked him down with a punch to the nose, repeatedly slammed his head on the ground
k.

SeraRelm

Martin perhaps should have kept walking, but he didn't half to.
but he didn't half to.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Trayvon's murderer is the kind of guy who get's killed on episodes of Case Closed. And then we here the murderer's sad reasoning for doing such.

Krisken

Krisken

:popcorn:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Punch guy who pulls gun on you in nose: not self defense.
Shoot guy who punched you in the nose after you pulled a gun on him: self defense?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Man, this is like Bernie Goetz all over again. Only there is UNDENIABLE PROOF that the guy killed simply for murder.

Adam

Adammon

Probs because checkered already went through your post with his rebuttal. And using "possession of mj" to make a guy seem dangerous is lolworthy.

But naw you're shaking your head. We are the stupid ones and you are the enlightened intelligent person in a sea of idiots
It wasn't to make him seem dangerous, it was to make him seem a little unlike this sweet innocent 15 year old that the media is making him out to be (and some posters here).

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-rep...re-of-trayvon-martin-20120326,0,7098615.story

"Trayvon, who claimed that an unnamed friend had given him the jewelry, was not disciplined because of the discovery, but was instead suspended for graffiti, according to a Miami-Dade Schools Police report obtained by The Miami Herald."

A good example of that? Here's the photos that the media are using to sell this story.

Zimmerman from booking photo on left, 5 year old picture of Martin on right.

Zimmerman picture:

Martin recent picture:

Why "sell this story"? $$$

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/trayvon-martin-trademarks-769123

MARCH 26--The mother of Trayvon Martin has filed two applications to secure trademarks containing her late son’s name, records show. Sybrina Fulton is seeking marks for the phrases “I Am Trayvon” and “Justice for Trayvon,” according to filings made last week with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. In both instances, Fulton, 46, is seeking the trademarks for use on “Digital materials, namely, CDs and DVDs featuring Trayvon Martin,” and other products.

Martin approached Zimmerman, not the other way around.

Zimmerman said he was walking back to his SUV when Martin approached him from behind, according to the Sentinel's report, which Sanford police confirmed Monday afternoon.

Is any of this 'true'? We'll never know. But this garbage about "It's obvious who's in the wrong here." is patently NOT true.

I'm not calling anyone stupid, I'm saying that to presume guilt based on, so far, a very one-sided emotional argument isn't entirely clever.

SeraRelm

But he had a gun and the kid was black, he's obviously an insane racist bent on genocide.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, this keeps getting glossed over, and it is very, very annoying.

There is about a one-minute gap between when Zimmerman made the 911 call and when he came face-to-face with Martin that police say they're not sure what happened.
THIS is where I have a problem. THIS is why I can't side with the shooter. There is a full minute where anything could have been said by either person.

Adam

Adammon

Ok, this keeps getting glossed over, and it is very, very annoying.

THIS is where I have a problem. THIS is why I can't side with the shooter. There is a full minute where anything could have been said by either person.
Don't side with anyone? Let the justice system take its course.

makare

We can still have opinions on the case. The justice system doesn't work in a bubble.

Adam

Adammon

We can still have opinions on the case. The justice system doesn't work in a bubble.
Fair enough. "Siding" suggests predisposition towards one person or another; which I suppose in a situation like this where you have one side with their opinion and the other side dead is impossible to avoid.

Krisken

Krisken

Fair enough. "Siding" suggests predisposition towards one person or another; which I suppose in a situation like this where you have one side with their opinion and the other side dead is impossible to avoid.
It means, I'm not instantly taking the guy at his word. There is a full minute where he isn't divulging what was said or what happened, why he got out of his car, how he ended up face to face with the kid. The whole thing smells kind of fishy.

Adam

Adammon

It means, I'm not instantly taking the guy at his word. There is a full minute where he isn't divulging what was said or what happened, why he got out of his car, how he ended up face to face with the kid. The whole thing smells kind of fishy.
I think Zimmerman's not telling the whole truth about the altercation and how he ended up on the ground with Trayvon punching him and bashing his head into the ground. Is it the difference between murder and manslaughter?

Oh, and just a quick clarification. That mugshot of Zimmerman I posted above is from 2005, not recent. Not sure why the media is using a 7 year old picture of him...

Jay

Jay

How does a kid get to punch & manhandle a guy who's well over 100 pounds heavier than him? Bullshit.

One thing is for sure, Zimmerman's a dead man, regardless on what the outcome of this is unless he is shipped somewhere completely under the radar.... like Montana.

Adam

Adammon

How does a kid get to punch & manhandle a guy who's well over 100 pounds heavier than him? Bullshit.

One thing is for sure, Zimmerman's a dead man, regardless on what the outcome of this is unless he is shipped somewhere completely under the radar.... like Montana.
6'3 , 170lb football playing 17 year old punches a 5'9 200lb loan underwriter in the face and manhandles him and you call bullshit? Strange.

GasBandit

GasBandit

In this thread, perhaps even moreso than any other, even on the internet... people have already made up their mind about the topic, and nothing will dissuade. Nothing.

Meanwhile, more teenagers are killed every day, and yet the national stage doesn't trumpet them for some reason.

None of you guys better make a joke about "stop the presses, a pretty white girl is missing" in the future and not feel like such a grand hypocrite.

Adam

Adammon

In this thread, perhaps even moreso than any other, even on the internet... people have already made up their mind about the topic, and nothing will dissuade. Nothing.

Meanwhile, more teenagers are killed every day, and yet the national stage doesn't trumpet them for some reason.

None of you guys better make a joke about "stop the presses, a pretty white girl is missing" in the future and not feel like such a grand hypocrite.
Like say: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/student-shot-dead-mississippi-state-university-054223724.html

A student was shot to death at a Mississippi State University residence hall late on Saturday night, authorities said, adding that three suspects remained at large.
The unidentified student was reported shot at Evans Hall shortly after 11 p.m. local time, university officials said.
Authorities described the suspects as three black males who fled the hall in a late model blue Crown Victoria car.
There were no immediate reports of further injuries and the university is operating on "emergency" status, officials said.

Jay

Jay

So what I understood is that Zimmerman (who claims to be a part of an unofficial Neighborhood Watch) follows Trayvon for a period of time and confirms on the phone that the teen is well aware of this. Eventually, the man actually approached the teen up close and began to bluntly demand answers from him. Zimmerman then claims he was sucker punched as he reached for his cellphone and this is KEY.

Meanwhile Trayvon, a kid in his own neighborhood, had no idea he was being suspected of wrong doing. In his eyes he was followed and accosted by a large and angry stranger who then began to reach into his pocket for something.

Put yourself in the poor kid's situation. How many of you can say you wouldn't assume it was a gun or knife of some sort? It was an act of desperation. Dumb as fuck but hey, kids.
Zimmerman created this horrible situation and deserves all of the culpability and once again proves that 2nd amendment is a dumb as fuck right to give to the masses of the mundane.

Adam

Adammon

So what I understood is that Zimmerman (who claims to be a part of an unofficial Neighborhood Watch) follows Trayvon for a period of time and confirms on the phone that the teen is well aware of this. Eventually, the man actually approached the teen up close and began to bluntly demand answers from him. Zimmerman then claims he was sucker punched as he reached for his cellphone and this is KEY.

Meanwhile Trayvon, a kid in his own neighborhood, had no idea he was being suspected of wrong doing. In his eyes he was followed and accosted by a large and angry stranger who then began to reach into his pocket for something.

Put yourself in the poor kid's situation. How many of you can say you wouldn't assume it was a gun or knife of some sort? It was an act of desperation. Dumb as fuck but hey, kids.
Zimmerman created this horrible situation and deserves all of the culpability and once again proves that 2nd amendment is a dumb as fuck right to give to the masses of the mundane.
Trayvon wasn't in his own neighborhood. He was staying with his dad and his dad's girlfriend after being suspended from school for 10 days for drug possession. But yes, a series of misunderstandings can result in dire consequences.

Jay

Jay

6'3 , 170lb football playing 17 year old punches a 5'9 200lb loan underwriter in the face and manhandles him and you call bullshit? Strange.
The kid was only 140 pounds. Get the facts straight before you post.

Jay

Jay

Trayvon wasn't in his own neighborhood. He was staying with his dad and his dad's girlfriend after being suspended from school for 10 days for drug possession. But yes, a series of misunderstandings can result in dire consequences.

Adam

Adammon

He lived with his mom.

makare

What does the fact that not every crime is treated with the same notoriety have to do with anything?

Adam

Adammon

The kid was only 140 pounds. Get the facts straight before you post.
Ok once again, here's the police report: http://www.sanfordfl.gov/investigation/docs/Twin Lakes Shooting Initial Report.pdf

Trayvon is listed at 160.

Jay

Jay

Oh, and just a quick clarification. That mugshot of Zimmerman I posted above is from 2005, not recent. Not sure why the media is using a 7 year old picture of him...
sigh.... and that is not a mugshot. He only had the misfortune to wear orange during his driver's license renewal....notice the lack of height stripes behind him.

A BLACK KID IS WEARING HOODIE. GAAAAAGNSTA. WATCH OUT. Charlie, is this your alt account?

"Martin approached Zimmerman, not the other way around."
So claims the survivor of the altercation.

Listen, before I lose my patience and say something I regret.... get your facts straight and look at the whole thing objectively.

The kid wasn't an angel nor I expect him to be some poor victim but he's dead with nothing but a bag of skittles in his pockets and he can't tell his side of a story that clearly indicated that he was accosted without reason in the streets.

So, if I don't shave for a couple days and show up in Miami to visit friends and lose myself going back home after buying some skittles and iced tea, should I expect a fat self-cop wearing a piece to get out of his SUV and start screaming at me to ask me what I'm doing?

It's ridiculous.

It's murder.

And Americans once again prove that the 2nd amendment is a dip shit right.

Adam

Adammon

sigh.... and that is not a mugshot. He only had the misfortune to wear orange during his driver's license renewal....notice the lack of height stripes behind him.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...rman-said-he-was-knocked-to-ground-and-beaten

"George Zimmerman, in a 2005 mug shot provided by the Orange County (Fla.) jail, via The Miami Herald.""

I am posting facts Jay. If you don't like it, I'm sorry, but it doesn't change what they are.

Krisken

Krisken

What does the fact that not every crime is treated with the same notoriety have to do with anything?
He's saying that we only care because the kid was black. You know, he's playing the 'poor white people' card.

I'd also like to know how Trayvon pulled the guy out of his car. Obviously that is what occurred since he 'approached Zimmerman, not the other way around'.

Jay

Jay

Incidentally, the official Neighborhood Watch manual says, and this is a direct quote: "it should be emphasized to members that they do not possess police powers, and they shall not carry weapons or pursue vehicles."

IMO

Hispanic guy follows the kid around, then approaches him in a hostile way and starts barking as the kid, probably flashing his piece, then puts his hand in his pocket, the kid freaks out and tries to defend himself and takes him down, guy grabs his gun and shoots him in the chest.

The black kid got trolled hard.

All he wanted was his ice tea and skittles and get back to his basketball game.

Love how it took the cops 3 days to identify him, especially when they had his cell phone and his contact info was at hand.

Pathetic.

Adam

Adammon

He's saying that we only care because the kid was black. You know, he's playing the 'poor white people' card.

I'd also like to know how Trayvon pulled the guy out of his car. Obviously that is what occurred since he 'approached Zimmerman, not the other way around'.
From the 'official' record, Zimmerman was walking back to his car when he was accosted, and was not pulled out of the car. I have my doubts that he was that innocent.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Would that be before or after he dealt the drugs he was busted with the week before Jay? :troll:

Jay

Jay

Would that be before or after he dealt the drugs he was busted with the week before Jay? :troll:
Was that before or after you became a lesbian?

As inaccurate your quote may be, as he was never charged as such, it's quite irrelevant.

BTW my opinion doesn't matter because I smoked pot when I was a teenager and I had sex with a 15 year old girl when I was 17. My favorite color is also burgundy.

Krisken

Krisken

Incidentally, the official Neighborhood Watch manual says, and this is a direct quote: "it should be emphasized to members that they do not possess police powers, and they shall not carry weapons or pursue vehicles."

IMO

Hispanic guy follows the kid around, then approaches him in a hostile way and starts barking as the kid, probably flashing his piece, then puts his hand in his pocket, the kid freaks out and tries to defend himself and takes him down, guy grabs his gun and shoots him in the chest.

The black kid got trolled hard.

All he wanted was his ice tea and skittles and get back to his basketball game.

Love how it took the cops 3 days to identify him, especially when they had his cell phone and his contact info was at hand.

Pathetic.
The way I see it, Zimmerman got out and acted tough, the kid turned back and threatened him, the guy turned around to get away, the kid attacked him (he's a stupid kid, duh), and the guy pulled the gun and shot him, desperate to end the fight.

Soliloquy

Just to play Devil's advocate, did you hear anything about today's blatant racial hate crime that ended in the death of a mother of five?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, the feds are investigating it now, so we can all rest assured that Eric Cantor will get results. He'll walk guns to the black panthers, shield them from any prosecution for the murder of american citizens, then call for stricter gun control laws.

Krisken

Krisken

Just to play Devil's advocate, did you hear anything about today's blatant racial hate crime that ended in the death of a mother of five?
I did not. Want to fill me in so I can know about it?

Adam

Adammon

Who is screaming for help in this video? (Chilling)

One shot.

If it's George screaming, it may corroborate his story about fighting and defending himself. If it's Trayvon, George is a murderer, very simply.

makare

what the.... how is that playing devil's advocate?

Krisken

Krisken

The guy who shot the woman was a Satanist.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Jay you know I was just trying to be a smartass, no worries. Noone here wants to hear my actual opinion on this subject, hence why I've stayed quiet on the whole thing.

Jay

Jay

The way I see it, Zimmerman got out and acted tough, the kid turned back and threatened him, the guy turned around to get away, the kid attacked him (he's a stupid kid, duh), and the guy pulled the gun and shot him, desperate to end the fight.
Good point and I completely agree.

This probably happened.

Soliloquy

Well, this story here is getting almost no press. An Iraqi mother of five was killed in LA and a note was found near her body saying "Go back to Iraq." The killers are still on the loose.

Granted, it's not the same type of case point-for-point (we don't know who the killer is, it's a woman not a kid, etc.), but it seems odd the amount of press dedicated to a blatant hate crime is so nonexistant.

Adam

Adammon

Well, the feds are investigating it now, so we can all rest assured that Eric Cantor will get results. He'll walk guns to the black panthers, shield them from any prosecution for the murder of american citizens, then call for stricter gun control laws.
Holder, not Cantor ;)

Adam

Adammon

This probably happened.
I agree as well.

makare

Well, this story here is getting almost no press. An Iraqi mother of five was killed in LA and a note was found near her body saying "Go back to Iraq." The killers are still on the loose.

Granted, it's not the same type of case point-for-point (we don't know who the killer is, it's a woman not a kid, etc.), but it seems odd the amount of press dedicated to a blatant hate crime is so nonexistant.
Yes but to play devil's advocate means that you take and support a view that you don't actually hold. I don't understand how that is happening here.

Krisken

Krisken

That's horrible and should get a lot of press as well. I hope the prick responsible gets what is coming to him/her.

Soliloquy

That's horrible and should get a lot of press as well. I hope the prick responsible gets what is coming to him/her.
Seriously, I hope this gets solved soon.

Soliloquy

Yes but to play devil's advocate means that you take and support a view that you don't actually hold. I don't understand how that is happening here.
One could argue that it's the Black community's cries of racism that is getting the Zimmerman case so much press. Personally I think it's because it was an unarmed kid was killed and we know who the killer is yet he's not arrested, and the same press-coverage situation would be happening no matter what the race was of the person killed, but the whole "blatant-hate-crime-against-Iraqi overshadowed by not-so-blatant-black-hate-crime" thing could be seen the other way as well.

Soliloquy

This probably happened.
If that's what happened, then what's happening in Addamon's video indicates that Zimmerman was being beaten for a good 30 seconds before resorting to shooting the kid.

I'm wondering if there's going to be a Coroner's report that shows whether Martin was also injured in any way besides the gunshot wound. If not, then it seems unlikely that it was Martin who was yelling.

SeraRelm

That's because racism only counts against black people and all iraqi are terrorists, so who cares?:troll:

(Did I used the troll face right?)

SeraRelm

Also

Krisken

Krisken

That's because racism only counts against black people and all iraqi are terrorists, so who cares?:troll:

(Did I used the troll face right?)
Is that what that face is? I wouldn't know, they all look the same to me.

SeraRelm

:O RACIST!

tegid

tegid

I'm sorry but the only thing that seems clear to me from this thread is that... Wtf you have waaay too many guns in your country, do something about that 2nd ammendment.

I know I'm not saying anything new, but MY GOD it's so blatant and still as a country you don't get it.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Just as an aside, this thread just proves that many of you know nothing about black culture and current conditions of racial prejudice. And that's kind of a bummer.

Mathias

Mathias

Just as an aside, this thread just proves that many of you know nothing about black culture and current conditions of racial prejudice. And that's kind of a bummer.
agreed

now tell us all again how you work in the ghetto with inner city children, and make a difference, damn it! Have you found the lead boy to turn the entire class yet, michelle pfeiffer?

Mathias

Mathias

A splendid documentary celebrating the career of Juski:

He knows black culture like it's nobodies biniz.

D

Dubyamn

One could argue that it's the Black community's cries of racism that is getting the Zimmerman case so much press. Personally I think it's because it was an unarmed kid was killed and we know who the killer is yet he's not arrested, and the same press-coverage situation would be happening no matter what the race was of the person killed, but the whole "blatant-hate-crime-against-Iraqi overshadowed by not-so-blatant-black-hate-crime" thing could be seen the other way as well.
You do realize that the anger coming out is against the police response right? Where the police came up onto the scene where a latino man had shot and killed a 17 year old black kid, didn't bother to test the shooter's BAV or if he was under the influence of drugs, corrected a witness's statement about the victim calling out for help, didn't even bother interviewing the shooter and then let the killer walk free declaring it self defense. Had the police done a compotent investigation and put Zimmerman on trial there would be no story. But they didn't and the media has only recently picked up the story despite the fact that it has now been a month since the killing and only a day since the woman was killed.

In a month when the police have bought the claim of the woman's killer that he/she acted in self defense and let them walk free your point won't be an idiot smoke screen. Till then ...

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It's really funny to me how nearly each and every foreigner looks at the United States' gun culture with a "WHAT THE FUCK" type or response.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It's really funny to me how nearly each and every foreigner looks at the United States' gun culture with a "WHAT THE FUCK" type or response.
I think foreigners just tend to look at any other nation with that kind of response. People are always convinced their way is the right way.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I think foreigners just tend to look at any other nation with that kind of response. People are always convinced their way is the right way.
I wish the US was more like Socialist Europe in some respects

GasBandit

GasBandit

I wish the US was more like Socialist Europe in some respects
No! Really? I'd never have guessed!

GasBandit

GasBandit

What, you and the Doctor Biologist over there are totally hip to the streets?

SeraRelm

How is that promotion and move coming along? Any word yet?

tegid

tegid

I'm usually not like that. Or less than most people, at least. I guess the problem comes from trying to look at the gun thing as a problem which has a right or wrong solution and not as a cultural thing (the difference being that one HAS a correct, logical answer, while the other doesn't). I can understand it as a cultural difference, whereas I haven't been convinced of most of the pro-gun arguments (and believe me, I can be convinced).

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

How is that promotion and move coming along? Any word yet?
Move would be temporary. And still floating in the wind.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm usually not like that. Or less than most people, at least. I guess the problem comes from trying to look at the gun thing as a problem which has a right or wrong solution and not as a cultural thing (the difference being that one HAS a correct, logical answer, while the other doesn't). I can understand it as a cultural difference, whereas I haven't been convinced of most of the pro-gun arguments (and believe me, I can be convinced).
I did say tend to. I think most of the people here are pretty fairly open minded, but everyone has something they look at and go "That's WEIRD" just cause its not what they're used to. I don't even mean necessarily that its done with any hostility, it could be something as innocent as "They drive on the LEFT side of the road there and call elevators LIFTS. Weird." (Or vice versa, obvsiously. Which is my point)
This is obviously a case of something with much greater consequences, but the reason people outside the US tend to question it and the reason people in the US tend to defend it, is pretty simply, because its what they're used to.

makare

If it is a cultural thing there is just so much tied up into it it makes it nearly impossible for the people who part of the culture that want to change it to do so. The whole you dont love guns? = unamerican/unpatriotic etc crap really keeps anything from getting done. It is the same political guilt by association crap used for every other problem in the country that has rendered them unsolvable. It gets pretty damn tiresome.

SeraRelm

I usually think "I wonder what lead to that social convention?" If it isn't immediately apparent, then I look it up if I have the time (or try to remember to do so later).

Adam

Adammon

Witness claims George Zimmerman pinned Martin after shooting:
http://globalgrind.com/news/new-wit...pinned-trayvon-face-down-after-shooting-video

Witness claims Martin on top of Zimmerman before shooting:
http://newstalkcleveland.com/2289029/anonymous-witness-trayvon-martin-attacked-george-zimmerman/

makare

Damn witnesses.... better rack em until we get the TRUTH!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Whew, good thing with have police officers to make sure the witnesses get the right story

Dave

Dave

Damn witnesses.... better rack em until we get the TRUTH!
One says before and the other said after. They could both be true.

makare

Dave.... it was a joke.

Dave

Dave

Dave.... it was a joke.
Okay. I thought you may have read it wrong. I did the first time until after I clicked the links.

SeraRelm

Whew, good thing with have police officers to make sure the witnesses get the right story
I agree, they ALWAYS overstep their bounds, like this asshole.
http://www.kpho.com/story/17253985/officer-credited-with-saving-lives-of-2-in-mesa-house-fire
Who the fuck does he think he is?! That's not his job! Corrupt son of a bitch!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Then what is the point in asking follow up questions?

What do you do when you ask 4 people what happened and the 4th person gives a completely different story?

Of course it is easier to think that it is corruption instead of a cop DOING HIS JOB.

fade

fade

I find it amusing that people are complaining in this thread that people are discussing Trayvon Martin's death in a thread about Trayvon Martin's death, and using that fact to condemn the posters in this thread.

makare

amusing... but not surprising.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I was referring to this report for this specific case

http://abcnews.go.com/US/neighborho...s-questionable/story?id=15907136#.T1_Q1BGPUhx

I am aware SeraRelm that cops find time to help people in between protecting their own from any consequences for their actions, but thanks for the link

Covar

Covar

LeQuack?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

it's possible more than one person harbors a healthy distrust of the police

if you want to make a "Police doing good things" megathread, I'd read it and won't stop you

makare

I think it is better to keep any judgment of police behavior to individual police officers and not to the concept of policing as a whole. That is a lot of people getting paint with a too broad a stroke. I know some bad police officers but if I let those guys sour my feeling about ALL police officers I would end up like my friend who thinks that all police officers are corrupt and all military personnel are going to hell. It just becomes absurd.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I think it is better to keep any judgment of police behavior to individual police officers and not to the concept of policing as a whole. That is a lot of people getting paint with a too broad a stroke. I know some bad police officers but if I let those guys sour my feeling about ALL police officers I would end up like my friend who thinks that all police officers are corrupt and all military personnel are going to hell. It just becomes absurd.
one of the problems is there is a systemic culture among the ~institution of the police~ that makes sure that no one faces consequences for ruining people's lives

makare

I know that all too well. I'll tell you coming out of law school after reading all those damn cases and not having a serious distrust of police in general is extremely hard. But I still think it is bullshit. There are many good officers doing there job well who do not deserve to be clumped in with the bad officers. I don't have to simplify things just to make them easier to deal with. I am not going to let good people get swept in with all the bad ones just because I don't want to take the time to do the work.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

fuck the police who abuse their power and get away with evil because of their slightly less evil friends protecting them doesn't have the same ring to it

makare

Well if more people could get past buzzwords and political action phrases and actual get down to the content of an issue this country would be a better place.

SeraRelm

I'm gonna retract what I posted in this one. I'm just gonna say that you're pretty much as bad as any racist you point out when it comes to cops.

Adam

Adammon

Trayvon Martin, the Florida teenager shot dead during a scuffle with a neighborhood watchman, was suspended from his Miami school three times over the past year, according to the family attorney.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-ma...roblems-school/story?id=16011674#.T3H3QtnAG30

Media is now in full-on villify Trayvon Martin mode. How about just reporting that he was suspended for MJ possession once, graffiti once and truancy/tardiness once (which isn't even noted as one of the suspensions in the article)?

makare

combine that with his bad taste fashion and his death becomes clearly inevitable.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

According to CNN, the "MJ possession" was actually possession of an empty bag that tested positive for MJ residue. :facepalm:

Chippy

Chippy

fuck the police who abuse their power and get away with evil because of their slightly less evil friends protecting them doesn't have the same ring to it
Please don't be that guy, Charlie.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Chippy, Charlie Don't Surf is the embodiment of "that guy".

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

it's times like these I'm glad we have a wildly liberal media

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

it's times like these I'm glad we have a wildly liberal media
Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Because if you're not, you're agreeing with conservatives, and I'm not prepared for the world to end before I finish Mass Effect.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm being extremely sarcastic, since the media is looking for reasons it's okay this young black male was shot dead

SeraRelm

Instead of deifying him, I know!:fu:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

... I usually stay out of these threads because the arguments over politics just get too heated and devolve into flamewars too quickly and too often.
Why didn't I listen to myself?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

To be fair, we do have a cultural history involving the deification of a young man of color whose death was looked on as initially okay.

fade

fade

I know, right? It's also a good thing that this one case about a young black male completely negates all those pretty white girl media cases, so we should all be happy now and get off our stupid equal rights high horses.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

It sounds to me like the wrong that must be righted is digging into why the police, according to news reports, had to be cajoled into further investigation. That an unarmed kid was killed by a man under questionable circumstances seems like more than enough reason. Whatever that guy or that kid were doing the day, week, or year before that is immaterial.

SeraRelm

If the kid was white, would this have come to such ridiculous levels of media attention?

ElJuski

ElJuski

Mathias, wish I could. They're actually really good kids, despite, you know, being angry, misguided teens. And either way, I wasn't saying I knew more about black culture; I will say what I have learned, especially about inner city kids--I teach them, did you know that?--has totally changed my perspective on plenty of things. And hell yes I'm the Jon Lovitz character. I wish I had Pfeiffer's physique. But really I'm mostly the chubby, non-crack-head Ryan Gossling in Half Nelson.

It all just adds up to all of those ivory tower african-american lit and soc classes I took back in college, and there are plenty things about this case that are inherently revealing about people's culture and upbringing. Meanwhile the media is definitely in high gear of playing into as much bullshit as it can, and really obscuring the fact that something really tragic happened.

LordRendar

LordRendar

If the kid was white, would this have come to such ridiculous levels of media attention?
Only if he was shot by a black man.

makare

In this case there is the racial issue, the gun issue, the youth issue, the vigilante issue it has a lot going on that makes it noteworthy.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Only if he was shot by a black man.
If it was a white kid shot by a black man, the controversy would be over which method of the death penalty would be applied

ElJuski

ElJuski

pretty much, Charlie, that's exactly what would be happening.

Krisken

Krisken

If the kid was white, would the police have passed it off as self defense?

Jay

Jay

You shouldn't even be able to claim self-defense after following someone around and approaching them in a hostile matter while wearing a hidden piece regardless of age, sex or race.

The fact that a person can do so, in my eyes, makes me mock not only the current system but those who encourage or ignore it.

It's pretty damn pathetic.

ElJuski

ElJuski

You shouldn't even be able to claim self-defense after following someone around and approaching them in a hostile matter while wearing a hidden piece.
But you sure can get people on the internet to argue about it!

Jay

Jay

herp.jpg

Null

Null

I don't think the facts of this case will ever be perfectly clear. But it definitely seems that Zimmerman escalated the situation by following Martin after calling 911. Without that act, the whole chain of tragic events seems unlikely to have occurred. Does that make him a murderer? No. But while I fully support the right to carry a firearm for self defense, the first responsibility of any reasonable person is to avoid pushing a situation towards violence. Zimmerman's actions reflect poorly on the vast majority of responsible gun owners in the US.

And that's where I'm going to leave it.

ElJuski

ElJuski

The best part is I wasn't even being an ass to you or anything, you fucking idiot.

Chippy

Chippy

whoa dude a custom made image insulting him fuck dude he is so burned right now

like FUCK dude you live on the edge.

ElJuski

ElJuski

*checks watch*

*waits for Jay to do another one showing how edgy and cool and not-give-a-fuck he is*

Adam

Adammon

wut.gif

Krisken

Krisken

Adam

Adammon

Are you Jay's alt?
no.gif

Krisken

Krisken

You do realize you look like a not as fat Brian Posehn when you do that, right?

Frank

Frank

I don't see it.

Adam

Adammon

You do realize you look like a not as fat Brian Posehn when you do that, right?

!!RESEMBLANCE IS UNCANNY!!

Frank

Frank

Now I kind of see it.

Mathias

Mathias

Mathias, wish I could. They're actually really good kids, despite, you know, being angry, misguided teens. And either way, I wasn't saying I knew more about black culture; I will say what I have learned, especially about inner city kids--I teach them, did you know that?--has totally changed my perspective on plenty of things. And hell yes I'm the Jon Lovitz character. I wish I had Pfeiffer's physique. But really I'm mostly the chubby, non-crack-head Ryan Gossling in Half Nelson.

It all just adds up to all of those ivory tower african-american lit and soc classes I took back in college, and there are plenty things about this case that are inherently revealing about people's culture and upbringing. Meanwhile the media is definitely in high gear of playing into as much bullshit as it can, and really obscuring the fact that something really tragic happened.
I grew up a couple blocks from where 50 Cent lived if that gives you any perspective on my interaction with black culture. I agree with you completely about the media (and Charlie too).

Bottom line: A kid (yes, 17 years old is still a damn kid) has been murdered over something stupid. Take ethnicity and race completely out of it, and that's what you have. As a kid I remember getting in trouble in school, skipping, etc... Treyvon Martin was a regular kid. He was confronted for no reason, raised a stink, and died because of it. As an adult, Zimmerman should have known to lay off and not follow him. I think he should be put away for murder.

SeraRelm

No one is saying Zimmerman did the right thing, just that Martin was a stupid fucking kid for swinging. Kids are stupid, even ones at 17, even ones 6'3", they're stupid. And that stupidity TIED IN to his getting killed.

Maybe we should try to help kids not be so fucking stupid? Not laying blame with that, just saying it should be a bit of a wake up call for people.

See also the boondocks video I posted.

Krisken

Krisken

And maybe, just maybe, they'll grow up into adults who aren't stupid and disregard the advice of police dispatchers and start a fight they can't win.

strawman

strawman

one of the problems is there is a systemic culture among the ~institution of the police~ that makes sure that no one faces consequences for ruining people's lives
That is literally as true as saying that black people are hoodlums, women are sluts, jews are greedy, whites are fat, etc, etc, etc. If you believe what you've just written, then you have no place to stand in a lot of the other arguments you maintain on this forum.

SeraRelm

That is literally as true as saying that black people are hoodlums, women are sluts, jews are greedy, whites are fat, etc, etc, etc. If you believe what you've just written, then you have no place to stand in a lot of the other arguments you maintain on this forum.
I'm gonna retract what I posted in this one. I'm just gonna say that you're pretty much as bad as any racist you point out when it comes to cops.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Wait, choosing to be a police officer and swearing an oath to a community is now the same as belonging to a genetically-determined sub-group of society?

Are you guys serious?

Krisken

Krisken

::Charlie trolls Halforums::

::It's SUPER EFFECTIVE!::

makare

No the point is Charlie is always bitching about generalities and here he is generalizing every police officer everywhere. He is just being called on his hypocrisy.

SeraRelm

By two people even.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

My final words on the matter: Fuck the police, and fuck racist psycho gun-owners. Regular gun-owners are okay, but ONLY for hunting.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

No the point is Charlie is always bitching about generalities and here he is generalizing every police officer everywhere. He is just being called on his hypocrisy.
Yeah, no. Folks could have said, "that's like saying all politicians are corrupt, or all teachers are incompetent drains on society, or all union-workers are lazy, or all democrats are whiners", etc. Perfectly correct, calls his crap, all good.

So why race, folks?

Krisken

Krisken

Well, I did say it was super effective.

makare

There are plenty of people who own guns who are responsible who use them for just sport shooting or trick shooting etc.

I am all for gun control but I wouldn't limit it only to hunting. Guns have a lot of history to them and shouldn't be demonized just because of some stupid people.

Yeah, no. Folks could have said, "that's like saying all politicians are corrupt, or all teachers are incompetent drains on society, or all union-workers are lazy, or all democrats are whiners", etc. Perfectly correct, calls his crap, all good.

So why race, folks?

Because race/gender are charlies pet bitches?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

So why race, folks?
Because that's what he calls them on.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well, Fuck You Too.

I enjoy going to the range to work on a critical life skill.

I also sleep better knowing that I have the option of defending myself. Especially since twice in my life I lived in neighborhoods where home invasions were an issue.

Gared

Gared

So why race, folks?
Because Charlie doesn't habitually call people out for calling politicians corrupt, teachers incompetent, union-workers lazy, or democrats whiners; but he does habitually call other people out for being racist and sexist.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Regular gun-owners are okay, but ONLY for hunting.
Well, Fuck You Too.

I also sleep better knowing that I have the option of defending myself. Especially since twice in my life I lived in neighborhoods where home invasions were an issue.
You know, I actually have far more respect for someone who takes proper training and safety precautions owning a gun for defense hoping to never have to use it, than I do for someone who uses it to go kill animals for fun.

Call me crazy.

Mathias

Mathias

Who Charlie thinks he is:

Who Charlie is really acting like:

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Okay, also self-defense-but the attacker has to be at least armed. And not a terrified Honor student.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Because Charlie doesn't habitually call people out for calling politicians corrupt, teachers incompetent, union-workers lazy, or democrats whiners; but he does habitually call other people out for being racist and sexist.
...that doesn't make it even remotely the same thing.

You're not calling Charlie a racist because he's railing against whitey, you're calling him a racist for being against police officers.

Krisken

Krisken

Last word addendum?

fade

fade

I'm sorry, but I fail to see what difference it makes whether someone belongs to a group by birth or by choice or by coercion from space aliens. The topic of interest was generalizations and assumptions about a group member's behavior, not how they came to be in the group.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Okay, also self-defense-but the attacker has to be at least armed. And not a terrified Honor student.
If someone kicks in my door, I am not going to offer my body up to see if he is armed.

I don't conceal/carry because there is too many options for staying out of trouble when out and about.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Who Charlie thinks he is:

Who Charlie is really acting like:
Calling him an entitled little brat with limited understanding of the real world is a lot different from saying he's a racist for not liking the institution of police because "police suck".

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

The topic of interest was generalizations and assumptions about a group member's behavior, not how they came to be in the group.
BS, then they would have used other groups that are relatively analogous. Choosing race was deliberate.

fade

fade

Well duh, for reasons already stated. That hardly makes it "BS". Calling him racist against cops is silly, and no one did that but you when you twisted their words.

Chippy

Chippy

My final words on the matter: Fuck the police, and fuck racist psycho gun-owners. Regular gun-owners are okay, but ONLY for hunting.
oh thank God we were all waiting on your weigh in

Mathias

Mathias

Calling him an entitled little brat with limited understanding of the real world is a lot different from saying he's a racist for not liking the institution of police because "police suck".

No.

I'm singling out one person; not a group. SHUT UP!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Well duh, for reasons already stated. That hardly makes it "BS".
It's complete BS. It's just another form of ad hominem.

Calling him racist against cops is silly, and no one did that but you when you twisted their words.
Their words. I even quoted them. Words matter, enormously.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

No.

I'm singling out one person; not a group. SHUT UP!

When did I accuse you of saying things about a group?

strawman

strawman

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Generalizations are always bad....

shit.

fade

fade

That makes no sense. In no way does that fit the definition of ad hominem. It is not BS. It is exactly as I explained it.

I am literally scratching my head here on how else to explain this. The whole point was that he's generalizing in the same way he claims to hate. Who really cares if copism is as "bad" as racism? My point was that that had nothing to do with anything. Saying that making assumptions about a person based on some category they fall into is bad out of one side of your mouth, and then doing it yourself out of the other side is something worth pointing out. Racism was chosen specifically, it certainly was. Who denied that? It was chosen specifically because of a) the current thread, and b) Charlie's previous posts about it specifically. Not in any way because people think that being a cop is equivalent to hundreds of years of treatment as subhuman. Because that has nothing to do with it. It is also a pretty good example of a straw man, since that term gets thrown around a lot lately.

EDIT: It also has nothing to do with whether generalization is "bad" or not. It has to do with the fact that he specifically violated something he claimed to uphold, regardless of whether generalization is good or bad.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It's complete BS. It's just another form of ad hominem.

Their words. I even quoted them. Words matter, enormously.
Yes, you quoted them, then added in the word Racist and got all mad about it. nobody said racist, nobody said it was the SAME thing as racist, what they said was that generalization is no more truthful than any generalization based on race, gender or sexual orientation.
You absolutely twisted their words around.

strawman

strawman

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Guys, guys, guys!

Have you SEEN CynicismKills sideburns? They are freakin' awesome.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

He's got a point, you guys.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

EDIT: It also has nothing to do with whether generalization is "bad" or not. It has to do with the fact that he specifically violated something he claimed to uphold, regardless of whether generalization is good or bad.
The phrase you're looking for is tu quoque, actually.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The phrase you're looking for is tu quoque, actually.
Then why did you use the phrase ad hominem?

strawman

strawman

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Because it's a form of ad hominem. My bad for being less specific, sorry.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I like that after 10 pages of this thread, it wasn't until my post that you felt the need to do this.

It's a nice feeling.

makare

I might agree with SpecialKO if this was anyone besides charlie.

Say what you want about ad hominems but what someone has said and done in the past does not disappear just because they are making a new argument. And Charlie has made a career out of hargle garbling on the forum for years now. Glass houses and all that.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

hargle garbling
Where the hell is my Adammon signal...

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Which just makes Charlie a douche.

I really don't want to be defending him here, but the way this is going down really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I guess it's my turn to be a white knight (for Charlie, J-tap-dancing-C).

I like that after 10 pages of this thread, it wasn't until my post that you felt the need to do this.

It's a nice feeling.

It's because you're just too intense, Bumble.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I completely disagree with you.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

That gif makes no sense. Why would he have a gallon of gasoline by his computer? At least for everythingelse he goes off screen to go get.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

That gif makes no sense. Why would he have a gallon of gasoline by his computer? At least for everythingelse he goes off screen to go get.
Maybe he's out camping.

strawman

strawman

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Maybe he was on his way to do something else, he just put it down temporarily.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Nope nope, he was sitting and reading on his computer.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Hmmm, maybe we're asking the wrong question.

Maybe the real question is, "why did he only burn the monitor?"

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Hmmm, maybe we're asking the wrong question.

Maybe the real question is, "why did he only burn the monitor?"
It was an older iMac

strawman

strawman

Nope nope, he was sitting and reading on his computer.
Maybe he was following a skeezy looking thread, and kept the gas can on hand "just in case" things got out of hand, to protect himself. One thing led to another and he had to use the option of last resort...

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

It was an older iMac
I dunno, it looks like an old piece of cra-

Adam

Adammon

Where the hell is my Adammon signal...
I'm concerned what that would look like Bumble. Very concerned.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Maybe he was following a skeezy looking thread, and kept the gas can on hand "just in case" things got out of hand, to protect himself. One thing led to another and he had to use the option of last resort...
But not the matches/sledgehammer and gun? Nope. Not buying it.

Frank

Frank

I'm concerned what that would look like Bumble. Very concerned.

A silhouette of Brian Posehn on a spotlight.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

But not the matches/sledgehammer and gun? Nope. Not buying it.
Maybe he works as a mechanic, and the computer is one they have in the garage to track customer data/appointments and to order parts. Its a slow day so he's surfing the net while at work.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

He could have been carrying the match already. Maybe he was intending self-immolation, but reasoned that he had to kill the computer first. So naturally, he had to go get the sledgehammer and gun.

Frank

Frank

Also, as I often tell Charlie, yes please or fuck you.

Adam

Adammon

A silhouette of Brian Posehn on a spotlight.
:cry:

D

Dubyamn

I've often found that the older I get the more I hate cops.

Probably says volumes about me.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I am about this close | | to calling State Troopers sonny...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I neither like or dislike cops on a personal level. Police and other authoritarian figures are important parts of society, and should I be the victim of a crime, I certainly want to have them to call upon to help sort it out. But liking or dislike a group consisting of hundreds of thousands of people is to paint with such a broad stroke that to attempt to do so only makes you look like a fool.

I like several police officers.

I dislike a few as well.

I'd go so far to say that the ratio of like to dislike among police officers I have met is similar to the ratio of any other group of people I've come into contact with.

So in closing, to keep my street cred, I will say fuck -some- of the police, and the rest could probably use a gift basket for the service they provide.

Except Frankie. :zoid:

Frank

Frank

You're just mad I took your spot that one night in ME3 multiplayer.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You're just mad I took your spot that one night in ME3 multiplayer.
IT WAS MY SPOT AND YOU KNEW IT!

Goddamn corrupt cops!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I had a long Barney Fife spiel that went here.

Then I took an arrow to the knee.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

FUCK THE POLICE

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Also:
R Lee Ermey's intro rant in Full Metal Jacket may apply here.
(pertinent section is 0:42 to 1:00)

ElJuski

ElJuski

I grew up a couple blocks from where 50 Cent lived if that gives you any perspective on my interaction with black culture. I agree with you completely about the media (and Charlie too).

Bottom line: A kid (yes, 17 years old is still a damn kid) has been murdered over something stupid. Take ethnicity and race completely out of it, and that's what you have. As a kid I remember getting in trouble in school, skipping, etc... Treyvon Martin was a regular kid. He was confronted for no reason, raised a stink, and died because of it. As an adult, Zimmerman should have known to lay off and not follow him. I think he should be put away for murder.
Right, when it comes down to brass tacks, we agree exactly the same. I'm way with you, man.

ElJuski

ElJuski

and as for the people saying we should try to help those kids not being so fucking stupid, I hate to say it--@Mathias excuse me-- I spend my whole day, Monday through Friday--trying to make them not so fucking stupid.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

He's got a point, you guys.
Yeah man, these babies don't grow themselves.

Well, they do. But still.

Null

Null

Well, Fuck You Too.

Agreed. My uncle lives in a rural area where meth is a problem and home invasions are an issue. Thus, he has firearms for self-defense. He hasn't had to shoot anyone, but it did take working the pump on his 12 gauge to dissuade the last unwelcome visitor.

PotaDOS

There is nothing wrong with parking in a designated parking space. That is not a foolish choice to make. Confronting someone who is stalking you is not a wise decision. A more apt parking comparison would be parking on the shoulder of a busy highway, when there are other parking spaces available. If a drunk plows into your car when you parked someplace unwise, that doesn't absolve you of the foolishness of poor parking. The guilt of bad parking choices does not mean you deserve to have your car destroyed, but you're still foolish to park there no matter what happens afterwards. The two things are not actually related. Even though the car would not have been destroyed by the drunk driver if it had been parked in a designated spot, and not just on the side of the road, that is not the cause of the destruction, and the destruction does not negate foolishness in parking.
I apologize that my post wasn't as clear as I had intended. I'll be concise this time:

Blaming the kid for being shot by a racist stalker with a concealed weapon as much as the racist stalker with a concealed weapon is terrible. I simply can't describe how wrong that is. Kids make mistakes and its up to the adult to act like an adult, not stalk the kid with a deadly weapon, and not to shoot him when the kid finally freaks out from being stalked. That's the extent of my thoughts on the subject.

Mathias

Mathias

Because it took him 10 more minutes to google and then sound smart.

Mathias

Mathias

and as for the people saying we should try to help those kids not being so fucking stupid, I hate to say it--@Mathias excuse me-- I spend my whole day, Monday through Friday--trying to make them not so fucking stupid.
See, that sucks because the way urban culture goes is that these kids
But you're saying "fuck the police; police are corrupt; the policing institution is corrupt." That is essentially the same thing. I wonder do you really believe that shit, or do you say it just to be hip? Honestly, believing in absolutes is more of a conservative christian right wing nutjob thing, but I guess it swings far left too....

Eitherway, I've got a special present in the mail for you.

Now, that said. I still 100% agree with you about the Treyvon Martin case, and that the cops in this case are turning out to be complete assholes. In no way do I believe all-or even most -cops are this incompetent.

How many people have you personally known that work as police officers? My guess is none. Which completely correlates back to your opinion of them. I suggest making friends with at least one person who works as a cop. You see how closely this parallels other forms of prejudice? I could easily write in "black person" instead of "cop", and you'd have the same context.

Dave

Dave

Am I starting to change my views on this as more information comes out? Maybe. Still don't know all the facts, but those coming out are more and more damning towards Zimmerman and his background.

http://rollingout.com/culture/george-zimmerman-son-of-a-retired-judge-has-3-closed-arrests/

Seems he should not have been allowed to even own a gun.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

While that stuff certainly is fishy and seems indicative, it still doesn't shed more light on what actually happened, which seems to be the real mystery (at least to the public).

fade

fade

Dammit. I came in here for an argument, only to find things had been resolved sort of peacefully. Debate blue balls.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Debate blue balls.
You got it.

*ahem*

I believe that blue balls is a real condition, and anyone who thinks otherwise sucks!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

the police = an institution, not every single individual police officer

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Next you'll tell us that you have a friend who is a cop. Most bigots will use that type of line...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Next you'll tell us that you have a friend who is a cop. Most bigots will use that type of line...
Hey man, stop stereotyping bigots. My friend's a bigot and he never does that.

makare

That IS the point we are trying to get through to you, but I think you have bastardized even that.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The only police officer, even online, with whom I interact in any regular capacity is Charon here

Covar

Covar

I spend my days teaching cops... :awesome:

figmentPez

figmentPez

So what you're saying is "blacks = a race, not every single individual black person". Yeah, I still think it's pretty damn racist to rail against blacks in general even if you think there are exceptions who are okay people. Similarly, it's pretty damn prejudiced to rail against the police in general, even if you think there are exceptions.

Dave

Dave

The only police officer, even online, with whom I interact in any regular capacity is Charon here
I'll bet Frankie would take exception to this remark.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Frankie is RCMP. They don't get any respect. :p

fade

fade

I'll bet Frankie would take exception to this remark.
That was my first thought. Actually, it was "What is Frankie, chopped liver?"

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

SAM STEELE COMMANDS RESPECT

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Canada isn't half of the police state as the USA, so I guess I don't think of them in that same light.

but look, this isn't the place, I had been thinking of starting a "fuck the police megathread" where I post a lot of news stories and stuff people smarter than I have written on the subject. I just haven't had the time since well, it's a really busy time at work until the first week of april or so

Chippy

Chippy

police state as the USA
Stop.

Dave

Dave

police state as the USA
Here's my question and it's dead serious.

Is America more of a police state than it used to be in the "good old days" or have we just become more aware of the actions of SOME policemen due to the rise of cell phone cameras?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

the united states police state effectively enslaves minorities and the poor (but especially poor minorities)

*drop mic*

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Here's my question and it's dead serious.

Is America more of a police state than it used to be in the "good old days" or have we just become more aware of the actions of SOME policemen due to the rise of cell phone cameras?
My main argument / thrust is more along the lines of the War On Drugs, which I can't recall exactly when that became "a thing" and ramped up. Again, I don't have much time to put together much of a coherent response

Dave

Dave

My main argument / thrust is more along the lines of the War On Drugs, which I can't recall exactly when that became "a thing" and ramped up. Again, I don't have much time to put together much of a coherent response
The war on drugs I agree is a failed experiment that does exactly what you say to the poor and especially minorities. But I think that overzealous enforcement of the drug war does not equate to a de facto police state.

Null

Null

I think the awareness is beyond comparison to even ten years ago. I don't think that police agencies have more general authority than before. For every video of one cop crossing the line, and all the attention it gets, you have to think about how much we simply used to not be aware of.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I agree with most of that post but

I don't think that police agencies have more general authority than before.
Patriot Act

fade

fade

My problem with where this is going is that it's the wrong target to attack. I would go so far as to say the vast majority of cops are good human beings. They make mistakes, but they also do their jobs. There are a lot of minority arrests and minority overpopulation in prisons. Here's the thing though: is it the police who are being unfair by arresting people committing crimes? Or is the problem that we live in a self-perpetuating society where a criminal lifestyle is the only choice a lot of minorities feel they have? That isn't the arresting police officer's fault. That is everyone's fault. Including charlie's.

Covar

Covar

the police state as the USA
And yet you want the country to "be more like socialist Europe." :rofl:

Adam

Adammon

the united states police state effectively enslaves minorities and the poor (but especially poor minorities)

*drop mic*
facepalm.gif

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

for the record, I said that with "in some regards", not all.

ALSO for the record, could you bring up how many times european police have accidentally shot someone to death? I'd love to see that statistic

Jay

Jay

Canada isn't half of the police state as the USA
8Uryq.gif

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

God do I ever f***in' hate when you Americans speak of socialist Europe.

Null

Null

To be fair, when people say that, they mean France. :troll:

...I think the trollface needs a beret.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I go with Charlie to plenty of places, and agree with him on countless occassions, but I think his stance on cops--and the hyper-liberal ideology beyond that--is a place I cannot follow. But as always I wish the man well in his pursuits.

Frank

Frank

Not even from Canadian metro police like EPS or CPS. They call us piss stripes.

As an aside, fuck EPS and CPS.

ElJuski

ElJuski

This is the weirdest Skittles commercial I have ever seen.

!

fade

fade

Wait. So Zimmerman is America now? Assuming that everyone in America thinks that all young black men are suspicious is incorrect, rude, and as much of an "ist" as assuming that a young black man is suspicious. Don't we teach our children that two wrongs don't make a right?

makare

yeah the skittles thing is a little weird. and he may not look suspicious but the dude at around :50 reminds me of a black Bert.

Chippy

Chippy

Wait. So Zimmerman is America now? Assuming that everyone in America thinks that all young black men are suspicious is incorrect, rude, and as much of an "ist" as assuming that a young black man is suspicious. Don't we teach our children that two wrongs don't make a right?
Probably more in response to Geraldo's "Don't wear your hood up" line.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

*drop mic*
You should become a police officer; try something that isn't illegal gambling to make your difference on the world.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

You should become a police officer; try something that isn't illegal gambling to make your difference on the world.
man you are fixated on that illegal gambling thing aren't you

Soliloquy

Well, things are certainly going on a downward spiral...

Director Spike Lee decided it's be a good idea to retweet Zimmerman's street address... only it ended up being the completely wrong address.

Now we've got an elderly couple who had absolutely nothing to do with the shooting fearing for their lives thanks to mob mentality.

God Bless America!

SeraRelm

I think it's racist to assume racism because of the races of those involved.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

man you are fixated on that illegal gambling thing aren't you
It wouldn't be funny except for your high horse. Not sure how you balance a poker table on that thing's back.

Really though, it's more that for all the bitching about important issues, you choose to use your spare time playing poker and watching movies.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It wouldn't be funny except for your high horse. Not sure how you balance a poker table on that thing's back.

Really though, it's more that for all the bitching about important issues, you choose to use your spare time playing poker and watching movies.
I haven't played online poker in 3 or 4 years
and I'm not sure how having leisure time no matter what the fuck I do with it matters at all

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I haven't played online poker in 3 or 4 years
and I'm not sure how having leisure time no matter what the fuck I do with it matters at all
Women's rights.
Equality for same sex relationships.
Race issues.
Anti-war movement.
Growing disparity of income levels.
Police state.

You bitch about these things on here day after day.

What do you do about them?

You remind me of all the schmucks who say "I wish I could do art". They can; they just don't. They think some magical notion will come to their heads someday and it will change their lives. Is that what you're waiting for? Some idea to pop into your head about how to revolutionize the world? Unlikely. You're just another do-nothing. This is how you feel big--pretending to do something by bitching about it. You're as useless to the issues you pretend to care about as the people to their loved ones who, when confronted with a loved one's problem, say "I'm praying for you."

SeraRelm

We don't know what he does with his free time.

Besides post on here, I mean.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

SeraRelm

And douche it up while he does so. Be fair, only call him out on the bullshit we know of, not on that which we speculate.

Jay

Jay

So wait, the same people I've argued with in the past DON'T understand the point of that fantastic commercial?

My approach in the future..... will be different then.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

what I do with my free time is print out all of quotemander prime's posts and lay them across my bed then roll around and jerk off

SeraRelm

Fascinating.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

what I do with my free time is print out all of quotemander prime's posts and lay them across my bed then roll around and jerk off
To a movie score.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Schindler's List

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

870072-cave-troll.jpg

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

And douche it up while he does so. Be fair, only call him out on the bullshit we know of, not on that which we speculate.
While this is true, he's watching somewhere around 20 different TV shows from what it sounds like in the Media thread, plus a lot of movies in theaters and at home. Unless his TV and movie watching goes on in a hyperbolic time chamber from Dragonball Z, that's a lot of week's leisure time spent watching stuff.

Unless he just reads synopses and pretends to be watching all that stuff. And for all I know, that's what it is, since most of his responses to people arguing with him about movies is "I haven't seen that one." So you're right, I have no idea what he does with his free time besides scouring this forum for when to harass our law enforcement or pretend women are helpless fragile unicorns.

fade

fade

I question whether they were intentionally showing bias in that video. If it was intentional, the message is only doomed to get lost.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I question whether they were intentionally showing bias in that video. If it was intentional, the message is only doomed to get lost.
I don't think Adammon's video gif shows bias at all.

ElJuski

ElJuski

A few things:

1. It's not really a skittles commercial. I was being sarcastic.
2. It takes a really thoughtful dissection of race to understand the intricacies of racism. Racism isn't a light switch; it's not just ON or OFF. In most cases these days there are plenty of inherent prejudices we carry around every day. It's important to make an autopsy of your own beliefs as well as of others to really understand the underlying principles. I think some of the worst racial prejudices are the ones we can't quickly identify, but are rather strange--and honestly, fascinating--throughlines we see, hear, and for the most part, ignore. Things like double-consciousness don't exist only in academic papers, and it's things like this Geraldo hoodie debacle that really bring it forward.

I wear hoodies all the time; I'm a husky white dude. Not suspicious. I live a couple blocks away from Howard University, and see people like those guys in the video all the time, and have seen, and yeah, no doubt, been a part of, that very same awful reaction. And, if anything, the murder of this unfortunate young black kid should be a gauge of just where race relations in this country have come, and most definitely ideas that need to be changed, or buried for good.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I also think that, as a whole, white people really struggle with the fact that they still have inherent racist issues. I still struggle with that feeling sometime. "I'm not racist, this thing is bullshit for X reason." This happens to good, intelligent people all the time, people capable of having smart academic discussions. It's just such a weird nerve for certain people to touch, and it's bothersome, but it's really important.

Adam

Adammon

Racism isn't a white-only problem, it's a human problem.

ElJuski

ElJuski

whaaaaaat

Magister Moonie

THIS IS A LIE THIS IS NOT SOMETHING YOU DO

Terrik

Terrik

Racism isn't a white-only problem, it's a human problem.
Oh absolutely. Racism is everywhere in the world.

Frank

Frank

I would be tickled pink if that was Kissinger.

Magister Moonie

Kissinger was a warcriminal.

SeraRelm

I grew up in a family with racial prejudices and it bothers the shit out of me when people make serious comments along those lines, however, I think humor stands on a different level in some ways. Some of the most racist jokes I've heard come from people of those very races. This isn't a racism issue to me, this is a human stupidity led to tragedy issue. I don't care what color their skin was, I care that some dude got an over-exaggerated sense of authority and importance and some other dude decided to bump heads with him in retaliation. Result; someone died. Zimmerman should get his ass arrested and locked up, but this platforming is bullshit.

ElJuski

ElJuski

So, just to be sure here, I hope that the idea that "racism is all over the place" isn't a new concept to anyone here on the boards. I hope you don't also assume that I think that way. And finally, I hope you guys aren't using "well everybody is racist" as an excuse for the many ways that we each, individually, are racist.

Oh, and for the record, I'm not blatantly saying anyone here is a racist pig or an awful human being. I'm saying that when something like this happens, taking a critical look, and being open and honest about it, even if it means saying something "incorrect" or "wrong", is what's going to be the most beneficial, not playing any sort of labyrinthine game full of blame and rationalizations.

ElJuski

ElJuski

And yeah, the major case here is the fact some kid got killed. But I think it doesn't detract to have an open conversation about race relations. I think the fact that people are throwing race into it, and the whole hoodie scenario, and the way the media is otherwise is blowing up about it, is a whole separate beast, but really, something we should be stepping back and considering at the same time.

We still have major racial problems in this country, and we shouldn't be ignoring it. We should be having an open dialogue about it.

fade

fade

We still have major racial problems in this country, and we shouldn't be ignoring it. We should be having an open dialogue about it.
That is true. And it will be one uncomfortable dialogue. That will probably lead to a lot of 800 lb things in the room. Like the fact that you probably are more likely to be attacked by a black male in a hoodie in some places. The real racism is in a society (as I mentioned above) that perpetuates a vicious cycle by providing underfunded education and crappy housing projects on the basis of self-perpetuating biased reasoning.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Right, and see, the problem should be that we're seeing beyond simply "Black man + hoodie". It should be "This guy looks like he's going to rob me".

EDIT: well, and to be more specific, if you happen to be in a bad neighborhood, it's not the fact that the guy's black, it means it's a bad neighborhood, and it just happens to be that poor people in bad neighborhoods might want to rob you. It just so happens that socioeconomics, which is piled under a ton of under prejudices, etc, would make it that poor urban areas also happen to be more black. I'm not worried about a black dude in a hoodie attacking me on my block; if I went to a more prominently crime-ridden, poor side of town *cough* across the river *cough*, I'd sure as hell have a different, more careful attitude.

ElJuski

ElJuski

and, not to mention, things that we need to tell inner city kids every day, such as "don't be a stupid fuck" and "don't pretend like you're a thug, because you don't know when some asshole is going to shoot you in the fucking face"

fade

fade

I think it will always be "it looks like this [insert some kind of categorization here] man is going to rob me". I think it's almost physically impossible to stop categorization. The human brain is really good at it. It served excellent evolutionary purposes. But categorization doesn't have to become bias. There's always going to be gross generalizations, we just have to make sure they're not stupid ones.

SeraRelm

ElJuski

ElJuski

Right. A shady looking guy is always going to be a shady looking guy. But we still have this fuzzy line where we have latent categorizations for people of different races.

And that's not to say I don't think it's getting better. But we wouldn't be having this discussion if people like Geraldo don't say dumb shit that makes us realize how much of that shit still persists on a day to day basis.

ElJuski

ElJuski

oh, and Sera, that episode of South Park is so phenomenal, fucking love those guys.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

The funny thing is, Charlie doesn't uphold to any of the things he supposedly posts in these threads. He's 100% full of hot air. However, an extremely effective Hipster Troll.

It was once I realized that he doesn't actually have any real opinion on the controversial subjects he posts on past the attempt to make people reply to him that I realized he's not but an online one man version of Westboro. 100% out for the attention (either due to not having it IRL or just for the sheer fun of it). Kudos Charlie my man, you are one entertaining (while fake) bastard.

SeraRelm

But it's fun to reply to him.. and Juski...

I said it.

Adam

Adammon

Police footage of George Zimmerman in custody after the shooting:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/george-zimmerman-police-surveillance-16024475

Claims out there that there's no visible blood or marks on his head. I'm pretty sure he's got a pretty good mark at 1:06 but it's hard to tell.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Oh no doubt. I interact with Charlie all the time. The difference is though, I see exactly what he is. An entertainer and not how other see him: someone with an honest opposite opinion than their own.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

DAMMIT JUSKI YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE TURNING INTO THE FORUM VILLAIN (you said so yourself, dammit!) AND HERE YOU GO POSTING WELL THOUGHT OUT, REASONABLE AND INTELLIGENT POSTS THAT ARE ACTUALLY SENSITIVE TO THE ISSUE AT HAND! YOU SONUVABITCH!

ElJuski

ElJuski

I know. The worst part is with all these new shitthreads starting up because of the stupid fucking Halbucks, I should be in there having a field day but I said to myself, "let the dummies have their fun" :/

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I don't know what is so inconceivable about the idea that someone holds radical political opinions and has an (admittedly on my part) weird taste in movies/TV, but whatever

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

It's not inconvcievable. It's fake.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I think it's fucking hilarious the person that pretends on here to be some crazed murderess is telling me I'm fake

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

It is pretty hilarious due to the fact that I'm easily more real than you are. Difference is, I can't prove it without serious reprecussion where all you'd need to do is actually show some kind of receipt to a Charity event for one of the things you supposedly feel so strongly about or pictures of you at rallies in support of the things you supposedly believe in. Yet you can't, because for all your huffing and puffing, that's all it is. Air on the internet. No real substance.

You're a fake, a troll, and while it's amusing to me, it's gotten to the point I feel almost badly for some of the people around here who actually believe you have those "honest" opinions. However, without your little troll game on these forums, some of the threads would just be 1-2 pages long instead of the 14+ pages you can create with your charade.

ElJuski

ElJuski

yes, this is gonna be good

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

"yes I have homicidal tendencies and more bodies in the gulf of mexico than Dexter, BUT this guy that thinks that women should be treated as people, he's just doing it for attention"

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

You'll find out that I've never claimed to have actually murdered or killed anyone. I'm not that stupid. It's also 100% true that I had police officers come to my front door due to the incident at Half Pixel for even insinuating I had done something to someone. It was literally that vague. To top it off, I was on the one and only "alt" I had ever made. Reason being I didn't want anyone to think it was just "Shego joking around". Most of the "rampant murderess" stuff that you hear are people who have told "stories" based on my "character" but you werent around during the early HP days when I made clear the kind of person that I was.

I have nor will I ever admit to anything illegal I may or may not have done online. I'm smart enough to know how that would go for me.

Another difference between you and me Charlie, other than I'm not fake. Is that I don't try and make others feverently believe I'm something I'm not. I've said many times over the years, if you don't believe the kind of person that I am, good for you, I'm not here to convince you. I know who I am and what I've done/plan to do and that's good enough for me.

You on the other hand spout like a volcano when there's a controversial topic "OH LOOK AT ME, I'M THE ONLY ONE HERE WITH A DIFFERENT OPINION. LOOK HOW HIPSTER I AM. YOU ALL ARE WRONG AND I'M RIGHT EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NO REAL VALID OPINION BASED ON ANY KIND OF FACT."

Which has most been shown in this thread, when you told a Police Officer what his life is like when you haven't had a single real run in with the law your entire life. I don't even have to point out how fake you are after the hilarious hypocritcal game you've played in this thread.

It's already been pointed out how you generalize the police much how you scream and rant when someone generalizes blacks or gays. You put your own foot in your mouth so far you can't even gag. The best part of your troll though, is your ability to just ignore when you've been proven wrong and change entire tangents around to move away from the subject you've so throughly had your nose rubbed in like a dog in shit.

SeraRelm

Receipt please.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm a little upset now that this thread is the charlie show instead of talking about the actual injustice part

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Be my guest, carry on then.

SeraRelm

It's always the Charlie show.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

nah I actually care about bringing things to y'alls attention you might not have noticed since you get your news from The Daily Show and think feminism won because of Liz Lemon or somethin

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Did you just tell people (like actual Police Officers and those who work with endangered minority youths) here that their opinions are based on something other than their own real experiences when your opinions....

Oh fuck it, let the show continue.

SeraRelm

Magister Moonie

Hipster is the dumbest insult.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Magister, this thread is about social injustices... oh wait you're on topic. Never mind ;)

MindDetective

MindDetective

nah I actually care about bringing things to y'alls attention you might not have noticed since you get your news from The Daily Show and think feminism won because of Liz Lemon or somethin
You might, but you hardly ever actually defend your position. You swoop in, drop your Radical Liberalism Comment of the Day bomb and then twiddle your thumbs while people get up in arms about it. You probably do believe the statements you make but you don't show much interest in discussing them. In a lot of ways, that's the worst of it, because it suggests you are very closed to ideas that may run counter to yours.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You might, but you hardly ever actually defend your position. You swoop in, drop your Radical Liberalism Comment of the Day bomb and then twiddle your thumbs while people get up in arms about it. You probably do believe the statements you make but you don't show much interest in discussing them. In a lot of ways, that's the worst of it, because it suggests you are very closed to ideas that may run counter to yours.
He won't respond to that either. Not intelligently.

MindDetective

MindDetective

He won't respond to that either. Not intelligently.
I know. I don't think Charlie is unintelligent, though. He's certainly very entrenched in his viewpoints, though.

Jay

Jay

....you get your news from The Daily Show
what-year-is-it-ohexploitable.jpg

Chippy

Chippy

I know. The worst part is with all these new shitthreads starting up because of the stupid fucking Halbucks, I should be in there having a field day but I said to myself, "let the dummies have their fun" :/
the fuck is a halbuck

Soliloquy

I know. I don't think Charlie is unintelligent, though. He's certainly very entrenched in his viewpoints, though.
It could be worse, though. I've met people who are entrenched in their viewpoints, yet are convinced that they are open-minded and believe that anyone who doesn't agree with them to the letter on everything is a closed-minded fool.

This is, sadly, not as uncommon as one would hope.

Mathias

Mathias

fade

fade

get.. their ... news from the ... Daily Show? Really? Who gets their news from a comedy program? Jeez convincing yourself that the world is worse than it is is no more useful or helpful than convincing yourself it's better than it is. It's like... current event anorexia.

Also, isn't a so-called radical liberal insulting the daily show like a priest shooting the pope? Or maybe the pope's court jester

Krisken

Krisken

How can you get the news from TDS? The jokes wouldn't be funny since you don't know the source material.

Null

Null

There have been times where I've agreed, to a point, with some of the points of view that Charlie seems to be espousing. But after a sentence or two it quickly reaches the point of "You know, the best way for you to help the cause, is by not helping the cause."

ElJuski

ElJuski

For the record folks, a ton of people actually get their news from The Daily Show, which Jon Stewart has himself said in interviews its a sad reflection of the state of the news media that that's the case.

But anyway, and I was enjoying the Sheg / Charlie thing, I wouldn't mind diverting our attention back to the fact that an unnarmed kid was shot and killed. Anybody planning on donning a hoodie anytime soon? I wear my hoodies all the time, so now I could totally be a protester and protest that shit!

Mathias

Mathias

For the record folks, a ton of people actually get their news from The Daily Show, which Jon Stewart has himself said in interviews its a sad reflection of the state of the news media that that's the case.

But anyway, and I was enjoying the Sheg / Charlie thing, I wouldn't mind diverting our attention back to the fact that an unnarmed kid was shot and killed. Anybody planning on donning a hoodie anytime soon? I wear my hoodies all the time, so now I could totally be a protester and protest that shit!
I wore my hoodie to work.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I wore my hoodie to work.
There's not many times we agree on something, except apparently for slave chocolate and slain teenagers, so

*bro fist*

Mathias

Mathias

Let me tell you it ain't easy to get a sport coat over that fucker.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I have been wearing my hoodie up at work since I sit under a vent and have a shaved head right now. I haven't said anything about it since I work in the finance industry in Houston, so...

I have been called the Unibomber though

SeraRelm

Do they look suspicious?

fade

fade

Yeah, it's been near 90 here this week. A hoodie would be a death wish of a different sort.

Covar

Covar

Do they look suspicious?
Ghosts!

Frank

Frank

I also wear hoodies all the time. I own half a dozen of them.

I can't wear them to work.

SeraRelm

I have been wearing my hoodie up at work since I sit under a vent and have a shaved head right now. I haven't said anything about it since I work in the finance industry in Houston, so...

I have been called the Unibomber though
So you've been mentioned as looking like a dangerous person since the addition of a hoodie...
SUSPICIOUS.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But Jerry Rivers said that only Blacks and Hispanics look suspicious in hoodies.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I better warn a friend of mine to stop wearing her Mass Effect N7 Hoodie to work.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Ah Fuck, Charlie lives an hour away from me? FML