[News] The Trayvon Martin Discussion Thread

I'm gonna need to see some links about "test after test" showing eyewitness reports are that inaccurate.

I'm writing a big lecture this morning so I am not providing you with links, but he's basically right. Eyewitness testimony shouldn't even be admissible it is so bad.

In other news, the judge has denied the defense's motion to introduce their CG reconstruction as evidence - which I think is the right call. Computer simulations are fabricated, even if they are supposedly constructed from facts, there's way too much authorship involved, and there's too much GIGO for them to be "evidence."
Yeah, I agree.

I'm gonna need to see some links about "test after test" showing eyewitness reports are that inaccurate.

In other news, the judge has denied the defense's motion to introduce their CG reconstruction as evidence - which I think is the right call. Computer simulations are fabricated, even if they are supposedly constructed from facts, there's way too much authorship involved, and there's too much GIGO for them to be "evidence."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyewitness_testimony

I'm tempted to just do a "LMGTFYS" response but you get far better results when using Google Scholar, for which I don't think that exists. So, go knock yourself out.
But heck, the green-cab-blue-cab-fallacy alone should be enough to decide against trusting eye witnesses.

I SWEAR I saw a ninja somewhere! Hmm, nope, must just be me....

GasBandit

Staff member
LMGTFY isn't valid to back up your own argument :p Otherwise I could tell you UFOs are real and then when you asked for proof, provide you with a LMGTFY.

I'm tempted to just do a "LMGTFYS" response but you get far better results when using Google Scholar, for which I don't think that exists. So, go knock yourself out.
But heck, the green-cab-blue-cab-fallacy alone should be enough to decide against trusting eye witnesses.

I SWEAR I saw a ninja somewhere! Hmm, nope, must just be me....
Stop using your proven science to support your position. Merica has no use for that!

Necronic

Staff member
As someone who has been on the recieving end of a serious beatdown I have to say that the most damning evidence against the idea of a severe beating are the pictures of the injuries. Those in no way look like someone who has been punched more than once or twice. In one fight I was punched ONCE in the face and it looked worse than his broken nose picture. (I got a ride home in the back of an angry policemans car that night!)

Also:

[Craig's father catches him with a handgun]
Mr. Jones: What's that for?
Craig: Protection.
Mr. Jones: Protection from who?
Craig: Me and Smoke...I've got to walk Smokey down to his house.
Mr. Jones: Aw, man. Your mother and I never would've moved to this neighborhood if we'd known you need a gun to walk down the damn street.
Craig: You know how it is 'round here.
Mr. Jones: Oh, no, son. That's not the way it is. You kids have been nothin' but punks. Sissified. So quick to pick up a gun. Too scared to take an ass-whipping. [raises his fists] This is what makes you a man. When I was growing up, this was all the protection we needed. You win some, you lose some. But you live. You live to fight another day. Now you think you're a man with that gun in your hand, don't you?
Craig: I'm a man without it.
Mr. Jones: Put the gun down.
[Craig complies]
Mr. Jones: C'mon, put up your dukes.
[Craig raises his fists]
Mr. Jones: Now you're a man. Your uncle picked up a gun, too. He found out the hard way. 22 years old. You've got a choice. This is all you need, alright?

BananaHands

Staff member
So, listening to these closing statements...

I don't know. I think Zimmerman is a piece of shit. I think he was actually malicious in killing Trayvon Martin. I just don't like him.

But, that's not how our legal system works. If you say that there is absolute proof that Zimmerman killed Martin, then you're fooling yourself. It sucks. I hate it. But I also acknowledge that there's no real way of knowing what happened. He's not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

So yeah. That's my $0.02.

Also, someone take the prosecutor to a public speaking class or something. He needs more gusto.

GasBandit

Staff member
If Zimmerman is acquitted, there will be a riot. I'm sure the jury will take this into account, inconveniences of evidence and presumption of innocence be damned.

So, listening to these closing statements...

I don't know. I think Zimmerman is a piece of shit. I think he was actually malicious in killing Trayvon Martin. I just don't like him.

But, that's not how our legal system works. If you say that there is absolute proof that Zimmerman killed Martin, then you're fooling yourself. It sucks. I hate it. But I also acknowledge that there's no real way of knowing what happened. He's not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

So yeah. That's my $0.02.

Also, someone take the prosecutor to a public speaking class or something. He needs more gusto.
There is absolute proof that Zimmerman killed Martin. Literally that fact isn't in contention.

Now if he murdered him or if he killed Martin in self-defense is where it gets murky.

And actually the burden of proof has actually been flipped here. It's up to Zimmerman and his defense attorneys to prove that Zimmerman's killing of Martin was justified. Which maybe they have to the jury but honestly I don't think it's possible.

If Zimmerman is acquitted, there will be a riot. I'm sure the jury will take this into account, inconveniences of evidence and presumption of innocence be damned.
Essentially this. Ether Zimmerman does time or he's dead within the week. This case is simply too emotionally charged.

BananaHands

Staff member
There is absolute proof that Zimmerman killed Martin. Literally that fact isn't in contention.

Now if he murdered him or if he killed Martin in self-defense is where it gets murky.

And actually the burden of proof has actually been flipped here. It's up to Zimmerman and his defense attorneys to prove that Zimmerman's killing of Martin was justified. Which maybe they have to the jury but honestly I don't think it's possible.
Er, yeah. I meant murdered. But Pon Pon has been playing in my head all day and I'm all jumbled up.

Essentially this. Ether Zimmerman does time or he's dead within the week. This case is simply too emotionally charged.
People say things like this, but I'm not that cynical. Remember the case where a young (21?) mother allegedly murdered her own baby, wrapping it in duct tape and throwing it in a dumpster? She was not found guilty, and people speculated the same thing before the verdict was out: either she's guilty, or there will be 'street justice.' It did not come to pass.

Necronic

Staff member
One other point about the seriousness of the fight that led to the gunshot. Martin has been described as having only a small abrasion on his left ring finger below the knuckle. Anyone who has thrown a bareknuckle punch at someone knows how easy it is to completely trash your hands.

I don't think I will ever buy the description that he was beaten.

People say things like this, but I'm not that cynical. Remember the case where a young (21?) mother allegedly murdered her own baby, wrapping it in duct tape and throwing it in a dumpster? She was not found guilty, and people speculated the same thing before the verdict was out: either she's guilty, or there will be 'street justice.' It did not come to pass.
Yes, but that wasn't promoted/built into a race issue.

Yes, but that wasn't promoted/built into a race issue.
No, certainly, and I'm not trying to draw that parallel. Any time people get emotionally charged, there is very often the suggestion that there will be some kind of mob-justice if a certain verdict isn't chosen, and that I'm sceptical this prediction will hold true. I admit, I could be ill-considering how the racial feelings may encourage some to act violently, but I remain either stoically hopeful people are better than that, or stupidly doubtful that people aren't better than that, depending on how one chooses to see it.

Chad, dude, I love you like a brother, but that was perhaps the most naive thing I've ever read from you.

In the event of an acquittal, there _WILL_ be a riot. I promise you. Whether it's confined to down there or if there's spillover in other major metropolitan areas is something else. But I guarantee you that folks will run riot down there.

Chad, dude, I love you like a brother, but that was perhaps the most naive thing I've ever read from you.

In the event of an acquittal, there _WILL_ be a riot. I promise you. Whether it's confined to down there or if there's spillover in other major metropolitan areas is something else. But I guarantee you that folks will run riot down there.
Fair enough.

I live relatively insulated from 'racial tension' (I can't pretend there isn't any, but I also can't pretend it's on a level as it is in some cities) so my estimation for people's behaviour when that sort of feeling runs high may be way off.

Also, despite my regular plumbing the depths of hopeless despair, I do view people as generally good and hope they won't, you know... riot.

GasBandit

Staff member
See, you've got everything backwards. I'm subjected daily to a racial crucible in which bigotry is arguably worse than it was 20 years ago, am a complete stranger to depression, yet consider the vast majority of what passes for humanity to be on par with the smelly stuff I dig out of the treads of my shoes after walking where there isn't a sidewalk.

Just flip allllll that around, man.

I can practically hear the cars being overturned already.

I haven't kept up with this trial, but I did manage to listen to the closing moments of the prosecution's closing arguments. The prosecutor went from sounding exactly like Dr. Phil to sounding like Stone Cold Steve Austin depending on how loud he was talking. That was remarkable.

See, you've got everything backwards. I'm subjected daily to a racial crucible in which bigotry is arguably worse than it was 20 years ago, am a complete stranger to depression, yet consider the vast majority of what passes for humanity to be on par with the smelly stuff I dig out of the treads of my shoes after walking where there isn't a sidewalk.

Just flip allllll that around, man.

I can practically hear the cars being overturned already.
It is interesting, I think, the difference in what we see. I'm lucky, I guess, to find it so strange that racial tension could be that open and dangerous today. :/

I don't invite you to be depressed, but try to be cheerier about people. Sometimes it's worth it.

It is interesting, I think, the difference in what we see. I'm lucky, I guess, to find it so strange that racial tension could be that open and dangerous today. :/

I don't invite you to be depressed, but try to be cheerier about people. Sometimes it's worth it.
Man, people riot after BASKETBALL games, and no one died in any of those.

Does anyone know whether in this particular part of Florida on whom the burden of proof falls? In some places, it's on the defendant to prove self-defense, in others it's on the prosecution to dis-prove it.

GasBandit

Staff member
The defense is talking like the burden is on the prosecution. That doesn't necessarily mean it is so, of course. And I don't know because IANAL, especially not in Florida.

From the little that I know, it seems that Zimmerman:
1. Should not have chased after Martin.
2. After the "fight", he should have run away.
3. Should have only shot someone if he was trapped (i.e. could not run away), and afraid for his life.

I think carrying the gun gave hime some false bravado, and led to a really stupid and unnecessary event.

Did he go with the intent to kill? I'd say it's likely, but not easy to prove.

If for some it's ok to kill an inocent if the jury decides that he is guilty, this is almost the same thing but without the killing.