The Tech Random Crap Thread

Amazon is adding a dialog boost option to the audio on it's Prime Video titles:

https://www.engadget.com/amazon-add...s-original-tv-shows-and-movies-150023374.html

I'm going to check this out, ASAP. I hate how much louder music and action are in most movies and TV shows. Also, I miss when I had working 5.1 speakers, because having a center channel really helped dialog.
weirdly, I haven't had any issues since I went to ultra hi-fi despite running 2.1 I wonder what component helped?

Did you change what speakers you were using, or just the amp? Are you running an EQ?
yes, yes, yes.
Schiit Uber Pile. Computer -USB> Schiit Yggdrasil OG+ DAC -XLR> Schiit Loki Max EQ -XLR> Schiit Jotunheim 2 amp -XLR> Yamaha HS8 Subwoofer -XLR> Yamaha HS8 speakers. Subwoofer is on a Sound Addicted VibeBoss P10 Isolation platform, and the speakers are on Gator Frameworks Acoustic Foam Isolation Pads. Related, My Headphone amp is fed via Stereo RCA from the Loki. It is a Schiit Valhalla 2 OTL tube running matched pair input Gold Lion 6N1P triode tubes and matched Soviet FOTON 6N6P power triode output tubes via modular custom 1/4 inch to balanced dual 3.5 MM jacks into my HIFIMAN Arya headphones. I will be happy to be as helpful as I can if you want more info.

all of this is the final current state of falling down the rabbit hole in Oct 2021 of audio. I started with onboard sound out via USB to a Bose companion 5 computer speaker system. LOL

Oh now you've done it.

--Patrick
QUIET YOU! :D

GasBandit

Staff member
The HS8s have some really freakin (no pun intended) good frequency response curves. I won't really comment on the isolation stuff, but I can tell you that good speakers and an EQ alone can make lightyears worth of distance, especially if you can tune the room to a flat line playing pink noise on a z-weighted meter. Maybe bump the 2khz-6khz range a little bit, as that's where 90% of the intelligibility in human speech resides. They've done studies that say even if you completely mute everything outside that range, as long as you can hear 2khz-6khz you can perfectly understand speech no matter how garbage the sound. When I'm tuning a room I make sure to give that range a little bump in the mic processing, it does wonders to fight listening fatigue in classrooms/auditoriums.

The HS8s have some really freakin (no pun intended) good frequency response curves. I won't really comment on the isolation stuff, but I can tell you that good speakers and an EQ alone can make lightyears worth of distance, especially if you can tune the room to a flat line playing pink noise on a z-weighted meter. Maybe bump the 2khz-6khz range a little bit, as that's where 90% of the intelligibility in human speech resides. They've done studies that say even if you completely mute everything outside that range, as long as you can hear 2khz-6khz you can perfectly understand speech no matter how garbage the sound. When I'm tuning a room I make sure to give that range a little bump in the mic processing, it does wonders to fight listening fatigue in classrooms/auditoriums.
I did exactly as you instructed me to with the pink noise, and it really helped with tuning the EQ, I have been really, really happy with the HS8 speakers. I have been called every name in the book, because my choices are all "wrong" and "show a complete lack of my understanding of audio", "my system could never work, should not exist, and would never be found in a residential consumer setting.". Pat tells me, that means I must be doing something right when the gatekeeper elites are getting mad at me. The iso-pads are actually to keep vibrations to a minimum believe it or not, trying not to resonate the house. I only declared them in case that might be useful. I fully commit to the "I asked as many questions as I could, tried to make good choices, and went with my best solution despite the rest of the worlds statements otherwise." my system is not the "best" or the "golden bullet". it is just a system that works.

EDIT: BRAIN SKIP WORD...BRRRRZZT BEEP BOOP *thanks pat!*

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I did exactly as you instructed me to with the pink noise, and it really helped with tuning the EQ, I have been really, really happy with the HS8 speakers. I have been called every name in the book, because my choices are all "wrong" and "show a complete lack of my understanding of audio", "my system could never work, should not exist, and would never be found in a residential consumer setting.". Pat tells me, that means I must be something right when the gatekeeper elites are getting mad at me. The iso-pads are actually to keep vibrations to a minimum believe it or not, trying not to resonate the house. I only declared them in case that might be useful. I fully commit to the "I asked as many questions as I could, tried to make good choices, and went with my best solution despite the rest of the worlds statements otherwise." my system is not the "best" or the "golden bullet". it is just a system that works.
I mean, it sounds pretty good to me.

And I forgot we talked about this before in discord, didn't we >_<

GasBandit

Staff member
It's not really particularly worrisome. Imgur makes it easy to download your entire library with one click, download any favorited album with one click each, all in zip format. So cutting ties with Imgur is simple.

That said, all this is really doing is bringing the "hidden" side of imgur in line with the community policies of the "public" social media side. Not much will change for the imgur "community," and redditors using it as 3rd party image hosting will just migrate to the next one, same as happened with tinypic, photobucket, etc etc etc.

Really, as I've often said, Imgur has been circling the drain for years, ever since they started courting advertiser dollars and trying to pass themselves off as their own social media platform instead of a simple image hosting solution.

On a semi-related note, guess who's got two thumbs and got banned from Imgur yesterday for rapid fire NSFW posts in a comment thread?

Interestingly enough, being "banned" from imgur doesn't stop me from uploading/downloading/favoriting/upvoting/downvoting/embedding media. It only cuts off my ability to post/reply in comments and send/read private chat. Oh, and editing my profile's bio.

Last edited:
I just suddenly had an intense memory of when file names could only have a maximum of 8 characters, and so I had to come up with creative ways to name files to fit them within 8 chars. I have no idea what caused me to suddenly remember this.

GasBandit

Staff member
Man, EV forums are absolutely OVERRUN with boomers, you guys. Entitled, wasteful, can't be convinced of anything no matter how much support documentation you bring, smug, self-assured boomers.

But I finally found someone besides Pat who manually types their name as their signature in every single post.

I remember a guy back on the Fark comment boards whose handle was Leopold Porkstacker, and he always signed his posts with "He who stacks pork".

It's been about two decades since I've visited Fark, and I still remember this guy's name.

GasBandit

Staff member
I remember a guy back on the Fark comment boards whose handle was Leopold Porkstacker, and he always signed his posts with "He who stacks pork".

It's been about two decades since I've visited Fark, and I still remember this guy's name.
The only Farker whose name I remember specifically was Barjockey. Because he had a spot on fark bingo, "Fuck you, Barjockey, you cock!"

Aw man, I still remember a bunch of Farkers I think. There was Bevets, who was my first introduction to utterly obstinate conservative Christian posters. There was fb-, who was the father whenever somebody got pregnant. There was Timothy, I think his name was, who was one of the earliest Farkers to use html tags to give his comments special colors or fonts.

GasBandit

Staff member
Aw man, I still remember a bunch of Farkers I think. There was Bevets, who was my first introduction to utterly obstinate conservative Christian posters. There was fb-, who was the father whenever somebody got pregnant. There was Timothy, I think his name was, who was one of the earliest Farkers to use html tags to give his comments special colors or fonts.
Ohhh fb-, I forgot about him. Yes, I remember him always being the father, now.

Huh. According to my firewall, the UK Ministry of Defense tried to RDP into my home machine today.

Sus.
Look, those memes & AI generated redhead nudes are vital to our national security. Don't ask how just hand them over like a good little former colonist and we'll say no more about it.

My company is a client company for a translation software suite, in the sense that we pay them a subscription fee to use the maxed-out version of their software, with all the bells and whistles. Recently the translation software company decided to overhaul the UI for their software client, so they asked their paying clients to provide feedback. Specifically, my company asked me and another editor (who happens to be a hot girl, but that's not important right now) to have a one-hour videoconference with the software company's developers and PMs, during which they showed us a mock-up of their proposed new UI, and we gave feedback and comments and suggestions on it, as well as ideas for what could be improved in the software.

The newest version of the software was recently released. ALL of the other editor's suggestions were implemented. NONE of mine were.

I mean, her suggestions were good too, I guess.